Plasma IR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-19-2013, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new to the plasma "game" but I just bought a Samsung PN51e500 and I love it. I am about 200 hours of usage in and I am beginning to see a little IR. It is not bad at all and is only noticeable on a black screen. The screen scrolling feature usually gets rid of it. I assume this is normal? Is there anything I can do to help "Break in" the TV? How many hours of watching will it take before I can watch a 2.39:1 movie without getting the black bar IR? I watched the hobbit in 3d the other night for 10 minutes and got some IR but it went away with the screen scrolling feature.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-20-2013, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Keep the contrast in 80s and make sure brightness is not too bright and you will be ok,and watch as much full screen material as possible.If your not watching tv turn for a long period turn up contrast to 100 and brightness a bit and run Scrolling screen wash( don't forget too set the contrast and brightness back when watching tv again), and disconnect anything connected to tv like cable tv cord.Just in case something causes the screen wash to go back to some other screen.You don't want that.

I was a bit cautious with mine,and have had no problems. Just the odd time see some IR which always goes away. After a 4/5 months the IR is even less .The burn in-IR is not as bad as it sounds at least on my Samsung.Theres other things like getting good screen settings that are more of an issue.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-20-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
For me it is only noticeable on just a plain black screen Like Just got done watching sportscenter and the ticker outline is there. I also thought you were supposed to leave the contrast around 50 for the first 200 hrs?
post #4 of 5 Old 04-20-2013, 10:08 AM

Liked: 11
For anyone with a plasma who has been glued to CNN's coverage of the Boston Bombings, I feel sorry. You probably have that kid's mug IRed into your set.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-20-2013, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I would put contrast too a level where you can still see the screen ok and then move it up every week a bit as time goes by. Ive had mine 6 months and have contrast 80.Your gonna see bits of IR frequently at first if your looking for it.The closer you sit the more you notice it.I never notice any IR but I sit back 10-15 ft.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page