F8500.. OR .. ZT60 ????? - Page 106 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #3151 of 3156 Old 01-11-2015, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
Well said @DavidHir. As a past owner of a VT60, in the right environment that VT60 is something special.

As a current owner of an F8500 I look at it a little differently. It is a very good display to use as an all purpose TV. To the average consumer there is no doubt they would be more drawn to the F8500. People who come in my home would be more inclined to comment on the F8500 then the VT60.

It is kind of hard to explain but the VT60 just looks so right and cinematic that it is just looked at as a normal TV. The average consumer would not realize how good of a picture they are actually looking at. It's not overly bright, the colors don't explode out at you and it is just a tame looking display. It is everything an enthusiast looks for. It is just a beauty.

The F8500 gets more comments in my home because of a few things. The stand is very unique. It's a Samsung which the average consumer just thinks of as a great TV and the picture is bright and punchy during the day. The VT60 wasn't bad during the day but it cannot produce a daytime picture like the F8500 can.

I will say rising blacks is not a problem on it. The reason I own an F8500 now is because this TV is used primarily during the day and I was able to make money from the deal. There is a part of me that misses the VT60 but also not worrying about IR on the F8500 is another bonus, especially when you have little kids who like to watch the same thing over and over again.

No offense but average consumers are the reason Plasma died and the reason we are stuck with LEDS.

64F8500
55ST60
Harmony 650
Sony XT1 Soundbase
OPPO 103d
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3

Last edited by chunon; 01-11-2015 at 07:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3156 Old 01-11-2015, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
In case anyone is interested, here is my calibration report of my 51F5300B.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwp...b0k/edit?pli=1
Very nice. Guess I should have given the 5300 series a shot. My mom almost ended up with one but she's fine with her cheap Sharp LED so I'll let her keep it. She always says how much better my TV looks (even when she had an older plasma). I told her that's because I have it setup better and I don't have every light on or every curtain open.

"Like a Ninja, only better!"
post #3153 of 3156 Old 01-11-2015, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
No offense but average consumers are the reason Plasma died and the reason we are stuck with LEDS.
That was kind of my entire point. I wasn't saying that the F8500 is better because of that, just the contrary. When I had a Samsung LED I got a ton if compliments. It was no where near what the F8500 is and was even further away from the Panasonic VT60. The Panasonic was the best looking TV I have ever owned but no one really acknowledged it like the inferior TVs I have and had in my home.

The average consumer cannot appreciate the magic of the VT60, hence the death of the plasma. That was more on what I was trying to say. It was perfection but seems like people don't want or appreciate perfection in their TV. They don't understand it.
Sonyboy likes this.

Last edited by eric3316; 01-11-2015 at 07:48 AM.
post #3154 of 3156 Old 01-11-2015, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Good points Eric
post #3155 of 3156 Old 01-12-2015, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
That was kind of my entire point. I wasn't saying that the F8500 is better because of that, just the contrary. When I had a Samsung LED I got a ton if compliments. It was no where near what the F8500 is and was even further away from the Panasonic VT60. The Panasonic was the best looking TV I have ever owned but no one really acknowledged it like the inferior TVs I have and had in my home.

The average consumer cannot appreciate the magic of the VT60, hence the death of the plasma. That was more on what I was trying to say. It was perfection but seems like people don't want or appreciate perfection in their TV. They don't understand it.

My girlfriend and I always talk about how crappy her sister and brother-in-law's Samsung LED looks - it's got to be in some sort of Vivid or Dynamic mode along with the soap opera effect turned on - looks so awful, but they seem to like it. lol

post #3156 of 3156 Old 01-12-2015, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
My girlfriend and I always talk about how crappy her sister and brother-in-law's Samsung LED looks - it's got to be in some sort of Vivid or Dynamic mode along with the soap opera effect turned on - looks so awful, but they seem to like it. lol
^Hysterical^

You should change the settings without them knowing ..then watch their faces
the when they turn it on.

Report back here
DavidHir likes this.

Polk 7.1
Samsung PN60F8500
73" 73738 Mits DLP
Onkyo TX-NR3008
Panasonic AE4000 Projector
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread