F8500.. OR .. ZT60 ????? - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 03:18 AM
Member
 
oddmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This's a bit of topic,but what is the ZT5?

http://panasonic.jp/viera/products/zt5/index.html
oddmania is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 04:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
-Hitman-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddmania View Post

This's a bit of topic,but what is the ZT5?

http://panasonic.jp/viera/products/zt5/index.html

Japanese version of the VT50

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412922/panasonic-viera-zt5
-Hitman- is offline  
post #543 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 08:15 AM
Senior Member
 
agkss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
HDTV Test Review:
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-ps64f8500-201305012945.htm
Highly Recommended...that's great.
agkss is online now  
post #544 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Glashub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA, CA - 818
Posts: 1,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Looks like Ken Ross has been vindicated at least in part by the EU model.
Glashub is offline  
post #545 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 09:00 AM
Senior Member
 
agkss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I hope they release a "Global" Fix for Brightness pops (Not only NA) and a fix for last years models too...that's why this tv doesn't get a reference status.

A more in depth review from HDTV Test...my personal choice of all websites smile.gif
agkss is online now  
post #546 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 09:10 AM
Senior Member
 
dad0118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

Looks like Ken Ross has been vindicated at least in part by the EU model.

I don't think anyone was disagreeing with the F8500 is most likely a great TV; just that most would prefer the VT/ZT sets if based on PQ alone (excluding those who need the max amount of brightness without going LCD). However, as is mentioned in the review, the price differences between the sets might make a difference to those looking for the best Value (but then the ST60 would come into play).

TC-P65VT50
Marantz NR1403
Bose Acoustimass 10
Panasonic BDT220 Blu Ray Player
dad0118 is offline  
post #547 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,509
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Nice point about the bezel. Good that they did that trick.

How did the design grew on you? started to like it? The LED F8000 design is breathtaking.

I wonder if Samsung has used the F8500 design for the LED version in Europe why they don't use the F8000 design for the Plasma? Sure the TV has to be thicker but the floating effect is totally worth it.

i've never been one to buy a tv based on anything other than it's picture, but i remember going in to my shopping thinking something along the lines of 'just go with panasonic no matter how pretty and thin the samsungs are, the panasonics have better blacks and a better picture'. then i start looking and panasonics got this pretty sweet looking fancy stand, and at least they tried to be flashy with the little silver trim. then i see samsung's actually made a good performing tv, so i check it out expecting the overly stylish designs they are known for and then bam. haha, totally caught me off guard and i didn't like it at all.

i still wouldn't call it pretty, but unique can be it's own appeal sometimes too. my biggest complaint/concern right now is that the 64" stand will be wider than my tv stand. that probably won't look the greatest hanging over the edge.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is online now  
post #548 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

??? They are an authorized Panasonic dealer, so I am not sure what you mean by this....

Are they an authorized Samsung dealer too?

DavidHir is online now  
post #549 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,666
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Are they authorized an Samsung dealer too?

As far as I know yes.....They are not listed on Samsung's site (always been this way), Chris would be able to verify though....
Ph8te is offline  
post #550 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Senior Member
 
agkss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
CNET Review: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-pn60f8500/4505-6482_7-35566923.html
4 Stars and a 9.0 in performance
agkss is online now  
post #551 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Senior Member
 
dad0118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by agkss View Post

CNET Review: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-pn60f8500/4505-6482_7-35566923.html
4 Stars and a 9.0 in performance

About what I figured. Similar performance to the ST60 in normal viewing conditions, but worse than VT and likely ZT Pannys. Better performance than all others in extremely bright rooms. In my viewing enviornment though, this definately takes the F8500 out of the running.

TC-P65VT50
Marantz NR1403
Bose Acoustimass 10
Panasonic BDT220 Blu Ray Player
dad0118 is offline  
post #552 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 5,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad0118 View Post

About what I figured. Similar performance to the ST60 in normal viewing conditions, but worse than VT and likely ZT Pannys. Better performance than all others in extremely bright rooms. In my viewing enviornment though, this definately takes the F8500 out of the running.

Good year for Plasma's across the board it appears smile.gif

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is offline  
post #553 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Senior Member
 
dad0118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Good year for Plasma's across the board it appears smile.gif

Very True.

TC-P65VT50
Marantz NR1403
Bose Acoustimass 10
Panasonic BDT220 Blu Ray Player
dad0118 is offline  
post #554 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 5,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad0118 View Post

Very True.

Good choices I just don't get the hostility on both sides truly, I'd say the only question remaining on the 8500 is the build quality we won't know about that until folks start getting some hours on these.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is offline  
post #555 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Senior Member
 
dad0118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Good choices I just don't get the hostility on both sides truly, I'd say the only question remaining on the 8500 is the build quality we won't know about that until folks start getting some hours on these.

People will always want to hear that the set they purchased is the "Best", but this year it looks like it depends on your viewing enviornment.

TC-P65VT50
Marantz NR1403
Bose Acoustimass 10
Panasonic BDT220 Blu Ray Player
dad0118 is offline  
post #556 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 404
I'm leaning on the VT60 myself as I am feeling more confident it will have the edge over the F8500 in a dark room which is my typical viewing situation...although even during the daytime I will be fine as my ST30 still puts out enough lit for me at those times. I'm not ruling out the ZT but it will have to be a notable improvement over the VT for me to spend an extra 1k.

DavidHir is online now  
post #557 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 5,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I'm leaning on the VT60 myself as I am feeling more confident it will have the edge over the F8500 in a dark room which is my typical viewing situation...although even during the daytime I will be fine as my ST30 still puts out enough lit for me at those times. I'm not ruling out the ZT but it will have to be a notable improvement over the VT for me to spend an extra 1k.

Based on my experience going to the Vt50 from the ST30 I think the VT60 will be more than bright enough for you, I get around 51ftl in ISF Day which is plenty bright enough even with my shades open, the VT60 should be even brighter.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is offline  
post #558 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,666
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I'm leaning on the VT60 myself as I am feeling more confident it will have the edge over the F8500 in a dark room which is my typical viewing situation...although even during the daytime I will be fine as my ST30 still puts out enough lit for me at those times. I'm not ruling out the ZT but it will have to be a notable improvement over the VT for me to spend an extra 1k.


I would agree with you on this. For Dark Room viewing the VT60 would probably be best for you. The only ZT reviewed so far got very very good remarks, but I am holding off questions I ahve on it until we can get an NA review out. Eiher way well know more next week after the shootout wink.gif The worth I think will come down to a personal decision...
Ph8te is offline  
post #559 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,666
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Good choices I just don't get the hostility on both sides truly, I'd say the only question remaining on the 8500 is the build quality we won't know about that until folks start getting some hours on these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad0118 View Post

People will always want to hear that the set they purchased is the "Best", but this year it looks like it depends on your viewing enviornment.

agreed on all accounts, of course I would say the same thing about teh 2013 Panasonics and build quality as well wink.gif to early to tell about any BQ on these sets. With the new process that Panasonic is using for the ZT especially......

Hopefully we can get past his "my set is better than your set" blah blah blah and jsut enjoy that we have choices it seems for everyone to be happy.....
Ph8te is offline  
post #560 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 5,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post


agreed on all accounts, of course I would say the same thing about teh 2013 Panasonics and build quality as well wink.gif to early to tell about any BQ on these sets. With the new process that Panasonic is using for the ZT especially......

Hopefully we can get past his "my set is better than your set" blah blah blah and jsut enjoy that we have choices it seems for everyone to be happy.....

Except that Panasonic has a proven build quality track record imo but yeah I agree it is petty and ridiculous really
agkss likes this.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is offline  
post #561 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Based on my experience going to the Vt50 from the ST30 I think the VT60 will be more than bright enough for you, I get around 51ftl in ISF Day which is plenty bright enough even with my shades open, the VT60 should be even brighter.

Yep, my thoughts too. How much of an improvement was going from the ST30 to VT50 for you? The ST30 was a good set for the money in 2011, but to many of its flaws stand out to me today (fair blacks, inaccurate color, mediocre gamma especially at low IRE, etc).

DavidHir is online now  
post #562 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Based on my experience going to the Vt50 from the ST30 I think the VT60 will be more than bright enough for you, I get around 51ftl in ISF Day which is plenty bright enough even with my shades open, the VT60 should be even brighter.

Yep, my thoughts too. How much of an improvement was going from the ST30 to VT50 for you? The ST30 was a good set for the money in 2011, but too many of its flaws stand out to me today (fair blacks, not the greatest color despite low delta error, mediocre gamma especially at low IRE...too high spike at higher IRE etc).

DavidHir is online now  
post #563 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 5,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Yep, my thoughts too. How much of an improvement was going from the ST30 to VT50 for you? The ST30 was a good set for the money in 2011, but too many of its flaws stand out to me today (fair blacks, not the greatest color despite low delta error, mediocre gamma especially at low IRE, etc).

Improvement in blacks, biggest thing I notice is the contrast ratio improvement much more pop. Also color is better and the picture is much more consistent from source to source. I really enjoy the extra brightness and the AR filter is way better on the VT50, what Chad can do with a set like the Vt50 or VT60 is truly amazing. Don't know if you saw my cal on the VT50 owners thread but virtually perfect in every aspect smile.gif

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is offline  
post #564 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

I would agree with you on this. For Dark Room viewing the VT60 would probably be best for you. The only ZT reviewed so far got very very good remarks, but I am holding off questions I ahve on it until we can get an NA review out. Eiher way well know more next week after the shootout wink.gif The worth I think will come down to a personal decision...

My final decision will come right after the Shootout although I might wait just a little as I am targeting 3k shipped price on what I buy... That could change if the ZT spanks the VT but not expecting it. Very slight edge with blacks in dark scenes is my prediction.

DavidHir is online now  
post #565 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Improvement in blacks, biggest thing I notice is the contrast ratio improvement much more pop. Also color is better and the picture is much more consistent from source to source. I really enjoy the extra brightness and the AR filter is way better on the VT50, what Chad can do with a set like the Vt50 or VT60 is truly amazing. Don't know if you saw my cal on the VT50 owners thread but virtually perfect in every aspect smile.gif

Nice. smile.gif Chad has been my guy for the last eight years and three displays...going to probably have him calibrate my audio this time around too.

DavidHir is online now  
post #566 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
jh901's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 68
If the Samsung F8500 proves to be on the same level all-around (or better- brightness...) as the ST60, then that's a big win for them. The decision between the VT60 or ZT60 and the F8500 is easy for anyone not viewing blu-ray in near broad daylight. The ST60 is looking like the clear bargain of the year.

HT 3.1: Panny BDT 220 | 60" Panny VT60 | Marantz AV7005 | Focal CMS50 (L/R), CMS40 & CMS Sub

Stereo system: Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
jh901 is offline  
post #567 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 5,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post

If the Samsung F8500 proves to be on the same level all-around (or better- brightness...) as the ST60, then that's a big win for them. The decision between the VT60 or ZT60 and the F8500 is easy for anyone not viewing blu-ray in near broad daylight. The ST60 is looking like the clear bargain of the year.

I assume you mean a win for Panasonic ?

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is offline  
post #568 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Senior Member
 
endlessender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad0118 View Post

About what I figured. Similar performance to the ST60 in normal viewing conditions, but worse than VT and likely ZT Pannys. Better performance than all others in extremely bright rooms. In my viewing enviornment though, this definately takes the F8500 out of the running.

Unless you factor in 3D ("normal" for some) where the CNET review states:

"3D: The F8500 is probably the best 3D performer of any plasma TV I've tested. Its image quality in the default settings for Cinema mode was better than what I saw on the VT60, mainly due to superior light output and better shadow detail. The latter difference can be equalized in calibration, perhaps (we don't calibrate for 3D), but the former is a distinct advantage."

Wonder how the ZT will do...?

Samsung PN64F8500 (still within return policy window and open minded)
Oppo BDP-93
DirecTV HR-24
Denon AVR 2309-CI
Definitive Technology 5.1 system
Harmony One remote
endlessender is offline  
post #569 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Senior Member
 
endlessender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post

If the Samsung F8500 proves to be on the same level all-around (or better- brightness...) as the ST60, then that's a big win for them. The decision between the VT60 or ZT60 and the F8500 is easy for anyone not viewing blu-ray in near broad daylight. The ST60 is looking like the clear bargain of the year.

...or for anyone watching 3D.

Samsung PN64F8500 (still within return policy window and open minded)
Oppo BDP-93
DirecTV HR-24
Denon AVR 2309-CI
Definitive Technology 5.1 system
Harmony One remote
endlessender is offline  
post #570 of 3105 Old 05-01-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 5,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessender View Post

Unless you factor in 3D ("normal" for some) where the CNET review states:

"3D: The F8500 is probably the best 3D performer of any plasma TV I've tested. Its image quality in the default settings for Cinema mode was better than what I saw on the VT60, mainly due to superior light output and better shadow detail. The latter difference can be equalized in calibration, perhaps (we don't calibrate for 3D), but the former is a distinct advantage."

Wonder how the ZT will do...?

Depends on how important 3d is to you, for me it is less than 5% of my viewing so a non factor, the initial reports on the VT 3d are positive I would expect the ZT to follow, bottom line "flagship" compared to mid level Panny

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - P60zt60 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off