F8500.. OR .. ZT60 ????? - Page 82 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2431 of 3105 Old 12-27-2013, 10:08 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
I wouldn't be surprised if Panasonic exits stage left when it comes to the consumer display market altogether because they are woefully behind the competition when it comes to LCD (in both performance and marketshare, though they are making baby steps in the former). The eminent demise of plasma is what spurred me to upgrade my 50" Kuro. If Samsung delivers a 2014 model that matches or exceeds the blacks of the ZT60 while still retaining the brightness of the F8500 and eliminates the floating black phenomenon (seems unlikely given this has been part and parcel to their driving method for some time now), upgraditis could actually kick in for me again. Mostly, though, I'm anxious to hear what the OLED plans from the Korean giants are at the upcoming CES.
vinnie97 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2432 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 03:49 AM
Senior Member
 
improwise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sweden
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by changboy View Post

From the review of the F8500 cnet :

Edited quotations of the CNet's F8500 removed

So this can show you
the built quality of samsung.

p.s. : and i not talk about the pop-up brightness.......

You realize that your "quotations" doesn't actually say anything about the build quality of the F8500, right? I kind of feel like I'm trapped in Groundhog Day mode here smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

Assuming this was a David Katzmaier review, I'm personally appalled at the fact that a professional television reviewer such as himself would actually sacrifice 3:2 pulldown for deeper black levels. Anybody who's anybody knows what nauseating flickering effect 60Hz motion has on Blu-ray discs, and how much it means for 24Hz/96Hz Cinema Smooth to be enabled for the Samsungs.

In Davids defense, it should perhaps be mentioned that it is an "edited" version of Davids actual review, where many positive comments about the F8500 somehow seem to be missing. For anyone interested in reading the actual review, please have a look at http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-pn64f8500/4505-6482_7-35731513.html
improwise is offline  
post #2433 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 03:53 AM
Senior Member
 
improwise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sweden
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunday View Post

Samsung are using basically parlor tricks to post a higher full pattern contrast ratio otherwise they trail far behind even an VT25, the direct side affect of this "processing" is brightness pops which I doubt anyone is very thankful for. I guess its a moot point since the F8500 was the last nail in Panasonics coffin and maybe the magical brightness pops will be buried for 2014 along with Panny

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415546/patterns-to-measure-mll-as-a-function-of-apl

If you tell me they don't operate like that I will point out Samsung was caught twice writing code to target and cheat on benchmarks

Well, Samsung hasn't only been caught with that but also for hiring people to write positive reviews about their products on forums and review comments which of course is not acceptable. Regarding brightness pops, I actually never see them on my F8500 bought in August, so it might be like other posters have said that this was fixed in firmware updates after the reviews were made. I do however occasionally see "floating blacks".
improwise is offline  
post #2434 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 03:59 AM
Senior Member
 
improwise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sweden
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19

Most serious and professional reviews say the same thing, if you want the best possible TV for the best possible environment, get a VT60 or a ZT60. I fully agree with them on this. If I wanted the best possible TV do use in a dark room, I would have gone with the Panasonics without any hesitations. For me, it was much more important to get a TV with maximum flexibility, that worked great in bright rooms as well as being "almost best" in a dark room, and that was the F8500. As I have said numerous times before, this doesn't make any of the TV's better than the others (perhaps with the exception of the ZT60 vs VT60), it just makes them different. Go with the one that bests suits your needs and you will be very happy as they are all exceptional TVs.
improwise is offline  
post #2435 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 04:05 AM
Senior Member
 
improwise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sweden
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if Panasonic exits stage left when it comes to the consumer display market altogether because they are woefully behind the competition when it comes to LCD (in both performance and marketshare, though they are making baby steps in the former). The eminent demise of plasma is what spurred me to upgrade my 50" Kuro. If Samsung delivers a 2014 model that matches or exceeds the blacks of the ZT60 while still retaining the brightness of the F8500 and eliminates the floating black phenomenon (seems unlikely given this has been part and parcel to their driving method for some time now), upgraditis could actually kick in for me again. Mostly, though, I'm anxious to hear what the OLED plans from the Korean giants are at the upcoming CES.

Unfortunately, I think you are correct about the future for Panasonic regarding televisions. They are far behind in a very competitive race, and with this news as well, it doesn't look to good for Panasonic frown.gif

http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/25/nikkei-sony-to-end-oled-tv-partnership/

(Further discussions of this is probably more suitable in other threads though)
improwise is offline  
post #2436 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 04:37 AM
Member
 
Dunday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

I have to share both your pessimism about that

 

Panasonic as the muscle and Sony as the brains is the only way either company will survive the next five years, especially when that guy in charge of Panasonic really hates tvs

Dunday is offline  
post #2437 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
venus933's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunday View Post

I have to share both your pessimism about that

Panasonic as the muscle and Sony as the brains is the only way either company will survive the next five years, especially when that guy in charge of Panasonic really hates tvs

Huh, Sony is in the forefront with their 4K display models and regarded for making the best LCD televisions in general. And they might have an advantage in providing 4k content as they also own a movie studio. They're making quite a comeback.

I think the point of the article I referenced and the later one referenced by improwise is how troublesome it is to manufacture OLED panels, not that the survival of Sony and Panasonic is dependent on OLED technology. Even if the production of OLED becomes feasible I have my doubts it will compete any better than plasmas did against LCD panels. True infinite contrast ratio and a larger color spectrum just isn't as sexy as 4K resolution. The increasing popularity of 4K resolution was probably the final nail in the production of Panasonic plasmas, not the F8500 as someone else mentioned earlier.

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
venus933 is online now  
post #2438 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
venus933's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by improwise View Post

Most serious and professional reviews say the same thing, if you want the best possible TV for the best possible environment, get a VT60 or a ZT60. I fully agree with them on this. If I wanted the best possible TV do use in a dark room, I would have gone with the Panasonics without any hesitations. For me, it was much more important to get a TV with maximum flexibility, that worked great in bright rooms as well as being "almost best" in a dark room, and that was the F8500. As I have said numerous times before, this doesn't make any of the TV's better than the others (perhaps with the exception of the ZT60 vs VT60), it just makes them different. Go with the one that bests suits your needs and you will be very happy as they are all exceptional TVs.

I thought you also picked the F8500 for its peak whites in that scenes of brightness (Hockey, skiing, etc.) look great for a plasma. Please set me straight, is it just malarkey as vinnie is trying to get through my thick skull?

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
venus933 is online now  
post #2439 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 07:57 AM
Senior Member
 
skidawgz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post

Huh, Sony is in the forefront with their 4K display models and regarded for making the best LCD televisions in general. And they might have an advantage in providing 4k content as they also own a movie studio. They're making quite a comeback.

I think the point of the article I referenced and the later one referenced by improwise was how troublesome it is to manufacture OLED panels, not that the survival Sony and Panasonic is dependent on OLED technology. Even if the production of OLED becomes feasible I have my doubts it will compete any better than plasmas did against LCD panels. True infinite contrast ratio and a larger color spectrum just isn't as sexy as 4K resolution. The increasing popularity of 4K resolution was probably the final nail in the production of Panasonic plasmas, not the F8500 as someone else mentioned earlier.

While I agree with you that Sony makes the best LCD, I don't think the generally population is aware. Most people think "I see the most ads from XXX manufacturer, so XXX is the best" Therefore, Samsung is probably thought to be the best TV. Sony was in financial trouble recently too, and it was the same year Panasonic really started to see poor TV profit IIRC. I don't know if Sony is doing well again but I certainly root for the Japanese companies over the Koreans. LG is alright but I've preferred Pana and Sony over any other TV for many years. Years before I even understood what the differences were between the two.

The LG OLED I've seen looked rather awesome and I could see moving from the plasma I plan to buy to that in 8-10 years. The Samsung OLED has LCD qualities which has for lack of better words a "fake look". There is hope for a good set, but I hope all 4 of these major companies I mentioned still exist.

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60, Samsung 60F5300
skidawgz is offline  
post #2440 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 08:11 AM
Senior Member
 
improwise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sweden
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post

I thought you also picked the F8500 for its peak whites in that scenes of brightness (Hockey, skiing, etc.) look great for a plasma. Please set me straight, is it just malarkey as vinnie is trying to get through my thick skull?

Well, that is one of the reasons I picked the F8500. My personal opinion is that the whites on the F8500 is way better than on any other plasma on the market. But it's not just the whites, it is also the total light output the F8500 is capable of. Anyone who can't see that should either have their eyesight checked or just doesn't want to see things as they are.

Maybe some people would argue that the whites on the Panasonics are good enogh in a very dark room, but I'm not one of them. This is also confirmed by all serious reviews I've seen so it seems pointless to argue against it, just as it is a pointless to claim that the blacks on VT60 and ZT60 isn't better than the ones on the F8500 in a dark room. Just as I have said numerous times before, let's separate the facts from personal opinions and wishful thinking, that will benefit everyone in making the decision on which of these great TVs they should get.
improwise is offline  
post #2441 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Artwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hoover, Alabama
Posts: 4,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 207
I guess the real question is ZT60 versus the upcoming 2014 Samsung H series--will Samsung improve or not? Even if it doesn't and only stays the same it will beat ll the present LCD garbage including 4K LCD garbage and ridiculous curved OLED!
DavidHir likes this.
Artwood is offline  
post #2442 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
venus933's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Here's how I would rank the major TV manufacturers in TV goodness

Plasma:
Panasonic
Samsung
LG (listed only because they technically make plasmas)

Unless Samsung doesn't carry over the F8500 they'll probably have the best non OLED display for 2014.

LCD:
Sony
Samsung
Vizio (thinking "M" and "E" series)
Panasonic
LG

For whatever reason LG has fallen on hard times due to their poor black levels and mediocre video processing prowess. I have a hunch Panasonic will move up quickly since they'll be concentrating solely on LCD panels.

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
venus933 is online now  
post #2443 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 10:07 AM
 
RefTheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

I guess the real question is ZT60 versus the upcoming 2014 Samsung H series--will Samsung improve or not? Even if it doesn't and only stays the same it will beat ll the present LCD garbage including 4K LCD garbage and ridiculous curved OLED!

Here we go again...

Do you think those will beat plasma in black levels and "natural picture"? cool.gifrolleyes.gif
RefTheater is offline  
post #2444 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kluken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,040
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidawgz View Post

While I agree with you that Sony makes the best LCD, I don't think the generally population is aware. Most people think "I see the most ads from XXX manufacturer, so XXX is the best" Therefore, Samsung is probably thought to be the best TV. .

The general population are morons and settle for mediocrity at a good price over quality on almost anything. The are some that value quality and reliability, but most people are ignorant. Years ago Sony had a great reputation in CRT TVS and was well regarded, but now that any crappy tv can look decent to someone that is not even paying attention as torch mode impresses them they go with emotional buy vs. logical. That is why these marketing guys do what they do, they know how people behave better than the people themselves do. Look at how most people consume audio, with crappy ear buds and highly compressed files. To many they are happy, but to those that appreciate high fidelity or picture quality, once they have gone there they will stay if they can. Even my gf can see the improvement of my ZT60 with CNET settings over my D-Nice calibrated VT50 and once I get D-Nice out next month the ZT60 will be truly an amazing set. I also think the Samsung is a great set and and others have said spitting hairs is the decision, decide what is more important to you, but both are amazing picture compared to anything ( other than Kuros) just a few years ago.
kluken is offline  
post #2445 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 12:28 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post

Huh, Sony is in the forefront with their 4K display models and regarded for making the best LCD televisions in general. And they might have an advantage in providing 4k content as they also own a movie studio. They're making quite a comeback.
Sony outsources their TV production. They have no manufacturing capability. This is a primary reason why they have no OLED plans.

Panasonic moving up in your prospective list would be a long shot. The CEO is interested in cutting unprofitable areas. This includes the entirety of the race-to-the-bottom consumer television market, especially LCDs where competition is insane.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #2446 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
discopaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by improwise View Post

Well, that is one of the reasons I picked the F8500. My personal opinion is that the whites on the F8500 is way better than on any other plasma on the market. But it's not just the whites, it is also the total light output the F8500 is capable of. Anyone who can't see that should either have their eyesight checked or just doesn't want to see things as they are.

Maybe some people would argue that the whites on the Panasonics are good enogh in a very dark room, but I'm not one of them. This is also confirmed by all serious reviews I've seen so it seems pointless to argue against it, just as it is a pointless to claim that the blacks on VT60 and ZT60 isn't better than the ones on the F8500 in a dark room. Just as I have said numerous times before, let's separate the facts from personal opinions and wishful thinking, that will benefit everyone in making the decision on which of these great TVs they should get.

And that's the whole point. Most people aren't watching tv in a darkroom or cave. Most of us watch TV with some lighting. The subtle advantage in black levels between the panny and 8500 will be indistinguishable. The whites and brightness will always be noticed.

No tv was ever perfect. Even the overhyped kuros had mediocre to average processing. There is always room for improvement as compromises are made for a whole host of reasons. This will be the case for oleds as well.
discopaul is offline  
post #2447 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ronald Epstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 84

I can't say that my ZT60 displays bright whites.  They look more grey.

 

When I was watching the ZT60 and F8500 side-by-side at Value Electronics, I could clearly see brighter whites on the F8500 in the snow-peak mountain demo sequences.  It was really night and day how much brighter the whites were.

Ken Ross likes this.
Ronald Epstein is offline  
post #2448 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 12:50 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul View Post

And that's the whole point. Most people aren't watching tv in a darkroom or cave. Most of us watch TV with some lighting. The subtle advantage in black levels between the panny and 8500 will be indistinguishable. The whites and brightness will always be noticed.
Completely untrue...the ZT60 holds its blacks better than the F8500 (and thus its contrast ratio) in rooms with moderate light also. Speaking of the shootout, this couldn't have been manifested in a clearer fashion with the Oppo logo screen displayed on all the panels, and the room lights were subsequently turned on.
Quote:
No tv was ever perfect. Even the overhyped kuros had mediocre to average processing. There is always room for improvement as compromises are made for a whole host of reasons. This will be the case for oleds as well.
"Overhyped" by only the uninformed. They still remain competitive with panels 5 years their junior and can *still* beat them in some parameters.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #2449 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
venus933's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Sony outsources their TV production. They have no manufacturing capability. This is a primary reason why they have no OLED plans.

Panasonic moving up in your prospective list would be a long shot. The CEO is interested in cutting unprofitable areas. This includes the entirety of the race-to-the-bottom consumer television market, especially LCDs where competition is insane.

Thanks for the info Vinnie, but whatever Sony does they seem to be emerging to the forefront with their LCD televisions. It seems you fall off a cliff in PQ for a LCD under the F8000 and w900a models. Of course their micro dimming schemes are no substitute for the contrast and near perfect uniformity achieved by plasmas.

As for Panasonic, cutting down on TV production does not necessarily mean they can't up their game with LCD PQ. i.e., even though their resources are less it can be more per model. We'll have a better notion once they release info from the 2014 CES with their 2014 line up.

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
venus933 is online now  
post #2450 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 02:49 PM
Senior Member
 
skidawgz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul View Post

And that's the whole point. Most people aren't watching tv in a darkroom or cave. Most of us watch TV with some lighting. The subtle advantage in black levels between the panny and 8500 will be indistinguishable. The whites and brightness will always be noticed.

No tv was ever perfect. Even the overhyped kuros had mediocre to average processing. There is always room for improvement as compromises are made for a whole host of reasons. This will be the case for oleds as well.

and here sir.... is where you lost everyone reading your post. eek.gif

the picture quality of the ZT is better than the F8500, which does not get mentioned enough. Brightness is important for whites only (edit: mostly) and I can see a hockey fan finding the F8500 as a better set. Most movies I watch are insanely colorful or really dark (think Pacific Rim or Batman).

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60, Samsung 60F5300
skidawgz is offline  
post #2451 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Senior Member
 
improwise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sweden
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidawgz View Post

the picture quality of the ZT is better than the F8500, which does not get mentioned enough. Brightness is important for whites only (edit: mostly) and I can see a hockey fan finding the F8500 as a better set. Most movies I watch are insanely colorful or really dark (think Pacific Rim or Batman).

The reason why it isn't mentioned more is simple, it isn't true. You might prefer the ZT60 to the F8500, which is totally fine by me, as well as others prefer the F8500 to the ZT60/VT60. As I've said a million times before, it is a matter of priorities. If there were something to be learnt from the HDTVShooutout, it was that the difference all in all for these 3 TVs are marginal, they simply are just as good (again maybe with the exception of the ZT60 actually being better than the VT60). It's kind of like buying a car, is a sports car better than a station wagon? The simple answer - it depends on what you as a buyer prefer and want.
improwise is offline  
post #2452 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 03:56 PM
Member
 
Scott Rosenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post

I can't say that my ZT60 displays bright whites.  They look more grey.

When I was watching the ZT60 and F8500 side-by-side at Value Electronics, I could clearly see brighter whites on the F8500 in the snow-peak mountain demo sequences.  It was really night and day how much brighter the whites were.

This has been precisely my observation, too. I REALLY wanted to bring a ZT home both before buying and after returning an F8500, but I couldn't get past the grayish whites and slightly soft image. I've noticed this on multiple samples at two different locations, so unless both were defective in the same way, not to mention all the folks reporting similar experiences, I'm doubtful the sets I viewed were defective.

I recently went back to the store where I purchased my 8500 to try to determine where to from here and again, REALLY hoped I'd see something different with the ZT. Regardless of how it was configured, the result was the same - to me, the 8500 simply looked better. I tried every factory setting the ZT offers and even entered D-Nice's recommended calibration settings, but never could get the set to look as good as the 8500. The difference in blacks was very small, but the difference in whites, saturation, vibrancy, color depth - pop is I guess what people call this - as well as image sharpness was tremendous. The sets we're sitting within a few feet of each other and once I settled in and only watched the ZT for a few minutes, it looked fine... Until I again looked at the 8500. In a vacuum, I thought the ZT was fine, but the direct comparison was extremely telling.

And when they turned the lights in the room up, there was simply no contest. The ZT was flat and dead looking, whilst the 8500 still retained the dark room vibrancy and depth.

Just my observations - ymmv as they say.
Scott Rosenberg is offline  
post #2453 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,395
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by improwise View Post

The reason why it isn't mentioned more is simple, it isn't true. You might prefer the ZT60 to the F8500, which is totally fine by me, as well as others prefer the F8500 to the ZT60/VT60. As I've said a million times before, it is a matter of priorities. If there were something to be learnt from the HDTVShooutout, it was that the difference all in all for these 3 TVs are marginal, they simply are just as good (again maybe with the exception of the ZT60 actually being better than the VT60). It's kind of like buying a car, is a sports car better than a station wagon? The simple answer - it depends on what you as a buyer prefer and want.

Just to be clear, the ZT60 does not calibrate any differently than the VT60 so they are completely equal in that regard. Compared to the VT60, it does have a better filter, but a very slight amount less light output.

DavidHir is online now  
post #2454 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Senior Member
 
improwise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sweden
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Completely untrue...the ZT60 holds its blacks better than the F8500 (and thus its contrast ratio) in rooms with moderate light also. Speaking of the shootout, this couldn't have been manifested in a clearer fashion with the Oppo logo screen displayed on all the panels, and the room lights were subsequently turned on.


"Overhyped" by only the uninformed. They still remain competitive with panels 5 years their junior and can *still* beat them in some parameters.

I agree with you on the fact that the ZT60 has the absolute best filter. It is no doubt better than the one on the F8500 and way better than the one on the VT60. I seriously considered the ZT60 for this reason alone, but in the end, no filter can compensate for the lack of brightness in a room with ambient light. But at maintaining blacks, the filter on the ZT60 is just amazing.
improwise is offline  
post #2455 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,395
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Rosenberg View Post

This has been precisely my observation, too. I REALLY wanted to bring a ZT home both before buying and after returning an F8500, but I couldn't get past the grayish whites and slightly soft image. I've noticed this on multiple samples at two different locations, so unless both were defective in the same way, not to mention all the folks reporting similar experiences, I'm doubtful the sets I viewed were defective.

I recently went back to the store where I purchased my 8500 to try to determine where to from here and again, REALLY hoped I'd see something different with the ZT. Regardless of how it was configured, the result was the same - to me, the 8500 simply looked better. I tried every factory setting the ZT offers and even entered D-Nice's recommended calibration settings, but never could get the set to look as good as the 8500. The difference in blacks was very small, but the difference in whites, saturation, vibrancy, color depth - pop is I guess what people call this - as well as image sharpness was tremendous. The sets we're sitting within a few feet of each other and once I settled in and only watched the ZT for a few minutes, it looked fine... Until I again looked at the 8500. In a vacuum, I thought the ZT was fine, but the direct comparison was extremely telling.

And when they turned the lights in the room up, there was simply no contest. The ZT was flat and dead looking, whilst the 8500 still retained the dark room vibrancy and depth.

Just my observations - ymmv as they say.

If both the ZT/VT and F8500 were properly pro calibrated to the same light output (obviously, they were not), you would see a much different scenario. However, if you need more than 35-40 or so ftL, then the F8500 may very well be a better selection. I can appreciate a bright room causing the need for more light output (although my eyes and environment doesn't need the additional light output of the F8500).

I had both the F8500 and VT60 in my living room side by side for about a week. I had both sets roughly calibrated to the same light output and hands down, the VT60 was superior with the lights off. Factoring in the floating blacks of the F8500, it was not even that close to be completely honest. On a completely black screen, yes, blacks were very close but as has been documented, once APL changes begin, the blacks rise on the F8500 and the image loses contrast - and letterbox bars fluctuate in brightness. However, this will not be really seen with brighter room viewing - only dark room.

DavidHir is online now  
post #2456 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 04:18 PM
Senior Member
 
improwise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sweden
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Just to be clear, the ZT60 does not calibrate any differently than the VT60 so they are completely equal in that regard. Compared to the VT60, it does have a better filter, but a very slight amount less light output.

True. As far as I know, the ZT60 is a VT60 with a much better filter, and that is why I consider it to be superior to the VT60, even thought you wont notice that in a dark room (except for the led light which can be programmed with the ZT60 but not the VT60 if I remeber correctly)
improwise is offline  
post #2457 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Member
 
Scott Rosenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

If both the ZT/VT and F8500 were properly pro calibrated to the same light output (obviously, they were not), you would see a much different scenario. However, if you need more than 35-40 or so ftL, then the F8500 may very well be a better selection. I can appreciate a bright room causing the need for more light output (although my eyes and environment doesn't need the additional light output of the F8500).

I had both the F8500 and VT60 in my living room side by side for about a week. I had both sets roughly calibrated to the same light output and hands down, the VT60 was superior with the lights off. Factoring in the floating blacks of the F8500, it was not even that close to be completely honest.

Spot on.

So much of this comes down to personal preferences and individual rooms. Same goes for speakers. I've heard my exact speakers (Wilson) sound sublime to unlistenable in different rooms.

My room is, unfortunately, pretty bright so the additional output of the 8500 is welcome. I wasn't expecting the 8500 to be my preference in the dark room, too, but it just looked better to me. If there were 5 other people in the room, you'd likely have 5 other opinions, too.

The best way I can describe the difference would be - and I apologize if the reference is lost - looking at an 8x10 Velvia transparency on a light table vs an Astia print.

Horses for courses... It's amazing we have such options presently.
Scott Rosenberg is offline  
post #2458 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
discopaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidawgz View Post

and here sir.... is where you lost everyone reading your post. eek.gif

the picture quality of the ZT is better than the F8500, which does not get mentioned enough. Brightness is important for whites only (edit: mostly) and I can see a hockey fan finding the F8500 as a better set. Most movies I watch are insanely colorful or really dark (think Pacific Rim or Batman).

Well, you highlighted kuro processing without discussing it. In any event despite the hype which would lead many to believe kuro was perfect tv, the old test reports showed it's processing, especially of sd programming was mediocre to average at best.

As for the ZT/8500 comparisons, opinions vary.

As it was years ago, why is it some of you get apoplectic when some see and say a better picture on Samsung but have no problem cheerleading when someone says Panny or Kuro is better. You act as if it's blasphemy to insult your panny or kuro.
discopaul is offline  
post #2459 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 07:17 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
For those on the fence at the 11th hour, hear this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

When I first reviewed the VT60, I found high panel brightness to be inadvisable due to severe white crush. However, lately, I've done a number of successful cals on the VT/ZT60 in high panel brightness. There is very little compromise. While there isn't much if any WTW headroom in PB high, the importance of that is debatable.

Here is a sample calibration report I got on a 65ZT60 using PB high and contrast in the 85-ish range. Color accuracy is good- not quite as perfect as I get with PB mid, but not anything visible- and though I haven't scrutinized it with a fine tooth comb, the picture doesn't seem to show any serious side effects. It does look much punchier in a moderately bright room. Note 50+ fL achieved with APL windows and an i1D3 profiled off a Jeti 1211 spectro.

65ZT60Pro1bright.pdf 1446k .pdf file
vinnie97 is offline  
post #2460 of 3105 Old 12-28-2013, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mo949's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 401
That's the 65. He can get the smaller screens a whole lot brighter than that even.
mo949 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off