S60 or S64 or ST60 or VT60 or maybe ZT60......oh yeah 60" or 65"???? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 96 Old 04-23-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Which one to choose? One thing I think I can say for sure...there is no wrong choice. Heck, I didn't even know where I should post this, so I just thought I would start a new thread. I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way. confused.gif

One thing I have figured out, I think I would pick the S64 over the S60, if they become available in my area. The 65" is the same price as the 60" ST. For a 65" model, which is what I want and need, that's just a great value.

If I want to spend more, I think I would choose the VT over the ST just for looks alone. I mean I'm being honest, who doesn't like it when your friends say "man that's a great looking TV" when it's not even on yet. I have always liked those thin bezels on the LED's. I bet the 201X model will have no bezel at all.

And then there's the ZT......there's just something good about knowing you have the best plasma of 2013, but will I or anyone watching at my house be able to tell the difference between the ZT or S series?

Can't forget about the Samsung 8500 either. I haven't seen any of these sets but I'm sure the Samsung will be right there with the Panasonic's.

For those of you who have made your decision already, congrats and I would love to hear your thoughts on why you chose the set you did.

This is driving me crazy....but I love it! wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 Old 04-23-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 374
The answer really depends on your budget and what you are looking to get out of the TV and what type of envirnment the TV will be in. Once you figure out a price that you are comforatbale paying, you can narrow down your choices. There are bounes and drawbacks to every set. When it comes down to it though, youll have to see the sets in perdon before making that final jump since your eyes will be the ones watching
post #3 of 96 Old 04-23-2013, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Akin View Post

And then there's the ZT......there's just something good about knowing you have the best plasma of 2013, but will I or anyone watching at my house be able to tell the difference between the ZT or S series?
If you watch with controlled lighting, quite possibly.
post #4 of 96 Old 04-23-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

If you watch with controlled lighting, quite possibly.

I would agreee with this, BUT only if they ahve seen both to compare, afterall you dont know what you are missing unless you have seen something better\worse to compare to.
post #5 of 96 Old 04-24-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Well my plans are to go to BB tonight and check out the ST. I hope they have a VT also. I have narrowed it down to these two as of today but I change my mind about every two hours I think. My wife makes fun of me every night because of the big deal I'm making of this.
post #6 of 96 Old 04-24-2013, 11:41 AM

Liked: 10
I went for the VT60, saw it didn't think much of it then saw the samsung F8500 which looked better then saw the Elite PRO-60X5FD which looked terrific and then I don't know. I have zero idea what to buy anymore. I'm thinking more and more about getting something new or even used around $1200 and wait 'til the dust settles.
post #7 of 96 Old 04-24-2013, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Everything I've been reading says to go look at them for yourself....and then you read, you can't really go by the way they look at the store, you have to get it home and apply one of the calibrator's setting to see what it's really gonna do. I hope I can get something figured out.
post #8 of 96 Old 04-24-2013, 01:19 PM

and then there's this showing its nose...http://store.sony.com/c/S_4KTV/en/c/S_4KTV

looks gorgeous!
post #9 of 96 Old 04-24-2013, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Those will be on down the road for me. I hope I don't see any tonight ha
post #10 of 96 Old 04-24-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Everything I've been reading says to go look at them for yourself....and then you read, you can't really go by the way they look at the store, you have to get it home and apply one of the calibrator's setting to see what it's really gonna do. I hope I can get something figured out.

Tim, there are things youll never see in the showroom that will come at home, its better to see the sets in person though because it gives you a "better" idea than any internet opinion could ever do of how you will like the set. When it comes down to it, numbers and opinions mean little if you are not happy with the way a set does something....The viewing of the set in person while not 100% is better than blind buying wink.gif
post #11 of 96 Old 04-24-2013, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'm going through the same thing. I can make an argument for every set (except the S60...too much glare!)

I think, even if I had enough money to comfortably afford any of them (which I don't :-( ) I would go VT60. Seems likely it will be very close to the ZT60, and without the extra price tag.

post #12 of 96 Old 04-24-2013, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Tim, there are things youll never see in the showroom that will come at home, its better to see the sets in person though because it gives you a "better" idea than any internet opinion could ever do of how you will like the set. When it comes down to it, numbers and opinions mean little if you are not happy with the way a set does something....The viewing of the set in person while not 100% is better than blind buying wink.gif
I sure if I could see the ST, VT and 8500 all side by side I could make some kind of decision. Thanks, I know your right
post #13 of 96 Old 04-24-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I sure if I could see the ST, VT and 8500 all side by side I could make some kind of decision. Thanks, I know your right

That will be tough to do most likely, but eeasier to get the VT60 and the F8500 side by side sicne they are usually in the Magnolia section of best buy....If you have an AV shop that has the sets, they have have them side by side though......one thing I suggest is ask for the remote control for the TVs and play around with the settings and adjust to a picture you like. Once you get off the "store set" mode ofte opinions can change either way....
post #14 of 96 Old 04-25-2013, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Went to BB last night and all they had was the 60ST60. I did find out that there is no reason to upgrade to the VT. I was told by the BB employee the only difference between the ST and VT is trhe stand.eek.gif So a grand more for a nicer stand huh rolleyes.gif
post #15 of 96 Old 04-25-2013, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 494
you might want to get a second opinion. On that more differences than just the stand whether those differences are worth the price jump is subjective

Amazing to me how mis-informed some best buy employees really are
sealteamz6 likes this.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #16 of 96 Old 04-25-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Went to BB last night and all they had was the 60ST60. I did find out that there is no reason to upgrade to the VT. I was told by the BB employee the only difference between the ST and VT is trhe stand.eek.gif So a grand more for a nicer stand huh rolleyes.gif

If you ahve one with a Magnolia then they should the VT as well, but it may still be getting "rolled out". I know the Best Buy closest to me has the VT and the F8500 out on display. I ahvent looked for the ST really. As far as what they said, it sounds typical of the misinformed reps that Ive encountered numerous times. Thats why its best to get as much information you can before going in wink.gif

Of course I was told that the Pioneer engineers went to Samsung :rolleyes:and not Panasonic biggrin.gif ....
post #17 of 96 Old 04-25-2013, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

I new more than them just by coming here to AVS. I was like, just go away a let me marvel over this plasma without being made to laugh. My plans are now to go to the magnolia store which is another 50 miles away in a couple of weeks...... our 10 month old grandchild lives there, so no problem. smile.gif
post #18 of 96 Old 05-01-2013, 11:32 AM

I find myself in a similar predicament, in that I just found the S64 at Costco. I WAS pretty much dead set on getting the 60ST60, but now that I've found the S64 at Costco, which is larger TV for less money, I'm not so sure anymore. I'm given to believe that the S64 is kind of in-between the S60 and ST60. So, you get the AR filter of the ST60, but not quite all of the other bells and whistles? I guess I'm not quite sure what all of the differences are, which is why I'm a little hesitant to go with the S64. Honestly, I think the 60" would be more than enough, in terms of size (this is replacing a 55" RP-CRT), but hey, if I can get a 65" for less money, I'd take it, so long as I'm not giving up a whole lot of useful features for it. Can anyone shed some light on the differences between the S64 and the ST60? Or does this need to be in a different thread?
post #19 of 96 Old 05-01-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by phekno View Post

I find myself in a similar predicament, in that I just found the S64 at Costco. I WAS pretty much dead set on getting the 60ST60, but now that I've found the S64 at Costco, which is larger TV for less money, I'm not so sure anymore. I'm given to believe that the S64 is kind of in-between the S60 and ST60. So, you get the AR filter of the ST60, but not quite all of the other bells and whistles? I guess I'm not quite sure what all of the differences are, which is why I'm a little hesitant to go with the S64. Honestly, I think the 60" would be more than enough, in terms of size (this is replacing a 55" RP-CRT), but hey, if I can get a 65" for less money, I'd take it, so long as I'm not giving up a whole lot of useful features for it. Can anyone shed some light on the differences between the S64 and the ST60? Or does this need to be in a different thread?
You are probably giving up some black levels and contrast but might not be noticable to the average viewer. The main thing you are also losing is 3d. So if that does or does not matter to you that might make your decision easier.

Costco has a 90 day return period. I say try it out if you do not care about 3d. Once you have it in your house you will probably love it and not even know what you are missing with the ST60. Once you have a 65" in your home it will probably be hard to go down to a 60" though.
post #20 of 96 Old 05-01-2013, 12:06 PM

bang for the buck is easy with the S64...for top level quality you can have fun comparing the zt and 8500. I preferred the vt50 to the 8500 if that tells you anything, but I wanted to pay under 2k and get 65" so the choice was easier for me.
post #21 of 96 Old 05-01-2013, 12:16 PM

Thanks for the input. I would definitely call myself somewhat of an average TV viewer. I care about quality, but really only from a numbers perspective, not because my eyes can actually see the differences.

As for 3D, I couldn't care less. If it did come with 3D, that feature would probably very rarely get used. I currently don't have a 3D TV in the house, anyway, and I don't really have any plans on buying any 3D movies or anything like that.

Besides, I'm sure the wife will approve of me spending $100 less (she doesn't have to know that it's 10" bigger than our old TV).
post #22 of 96 Old 05-01-2013, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Anyone have any thoughts on the ST60 vs. the VT60 for $1100 difference in price? I will most likely keep this for several years and want to make an informed decision. Thanks!
post #23 of 96 Old 05-01-2013, 06:25 PM

Liked: 26
65ZT60, nothing more needs to be said

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
agkss likes this.

post #24 of 96 Old 05-01-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saril View Post

Anyone have any thoughts on the ST60 vs. the VT60 for $1100 difference in price? I will most likely keep this for several years and want to make an informed decision. Thanks!

My advice is always to get the biggest and best TV that you can get, that way you want for anything.....Price difference and worth is a personal decision, so I dont make calls or suggestions wink.gif
post #25 of 96 Old 05-01-2013, 06:59 PM

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaomizzle View Post

65ZT60, nothing more needs to be said

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
High Five!!! Zt60 end of story till oled comes down in price.i already own 65vt50 so it's Zt for me...smile.gif
agkss likes this.

64f8500
oppo bdp-103
Denon avr 1803
Energy speakers
Energy sub
Dual recliner lazyboy
xbox 360
post #26 of 96 Old 05-01-2013, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniswrly View Post

High Five!!! Zt60 end of story till oled comes down in price.i already own 65vt50 so it's Zt for me...smile.gif
+1
post #27 of 96 Old 05-02-2013, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Well I think I know what I'm going to do, kinda. This is going to sound crazy but I will either get the S64 or ZT. I know I want 65", that's for sure. If I get the S64, I will know I made a good buying decision and probably one of the best buys out there and will replace it as soon as OLED is afforable. If I get the ZT, I will feel good in knowing I have possibly the best plasma ever made and will keep it as long as it will last. Any thing in between and I will always wonder if I made the right choice. Of coarse, if the ZT doesn't prove to be much better than the VT.....well then it will be the VT. Still don't know what the hell I'm doing. lol
post #28 of 96 Old 05-02-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:

Well I think I know what I'm going to do, kinda. This is going to sound crazy but I will either get the S64 or ZT. I know I want 65", that's for sure. If I get the S64, I will know I made a good buying decision and probably one of the best buys out there and will replace it as soon as OLED is afforable. If I get the ZT, I will feel good in knowing I have possibly the best plasma ever made and will keep it as long as it will last. Any thing in between and I will always wonder if I made the right choice. Of coarse, if the ZT doesn't prove to be much better than the VT.....well then it will be the VT. Still don't know what the hell I'm doing. lol
I wish my TV budget was between $1,300 and $4,000. That is not to bad of a situation to be in.
post #29 of 96 Old 05-02-2013, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

haha, I know....I said it was crazy lol
post #30 of 96 Old 05-02-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 804
I know ho you feel!

on one hand this is a great year to buy a plasma, so many great choices. on the other hand it sucks, there's NEVER going to be a clear winner.

for me I started with ST60 vs VT60 vs ZT60. Samsung wasn't even on my radar based on last years results. truth be told I was just going to buy a clearance vt50 until I couldn't find one, and read the st60 pretty much matched its performance.

so obviously haven't seen the zt or heard anymore than anybody else here, and that's ones still in contention

I think I've dropped the ST from my list. oddly enough for the dumbest of reason initially(bad input lag), but I just got so used to the idea of the vt being measurably (if not noticeably) darker with better contrast.

VT is still in consideration, however, if i'm going to buy a panny, why not buy the best panny?

which now leaves me with the f8500 and zt60 as my too top choices, with the vt60 being more of a consolation, 'value' purchase if i'm not happy with the f8500 and don't want to wait for or spend so much on the zt.

my plan is, barring any crazy results from the shootout, to take home a f8500 when the 64's arrive(may 10th, but I think i'll wait until after the shootout). if I love it, i'll stop looking and be happy. if I don't, if for some reason it's not dark enough once I get it into my man cave, well then i'll have a much closer look at the vt/zt and maybe even bring the ST back into consideration

consensus seems to be that the f8500 will perform better under bright conditions and the panny's(all of them) will perform better in a dark room. I just wish my needs were that polarized...

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page