Samsung PNE6500 vs Panasonic ST60 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-30-2013, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay right now both of these sets can be had for about the same amount of money. One thing that I keep reading about Panasonic is that they have really bad IR and the ST60 has pretty bad input lag. Now I know that the 6500 won't have as good of black levels as the new Panasonic does, but I'm coming from an LG LM6400 LED TV so I'm sure any plasma is going to have even better blacks than I'm currently living with as completely acceptable. A couple of questions that I had is that I noticed that the 6500 only Has a 96hz mode while the ST60 has 48hz. What would I use 48hz for that I wouldn't be able to do on the Samsung? I also know that the Samsung won't be able to get has bright as the Panasonic does, but is the Samsung livable as far as watching in a bright room? Also, are you able to have as many calibration settings on the Samsung as the Panasonic? What are some of the other chief differences between the two? the biggest drives for me so far to the Samsung have been the fact that input lag is pretty good and people claim that Samsung is a little more impervious to image retention. IR is big for me because after the initial break in, I don't want to have to deal with screen wipe utilities and the such. Thanks for any help.

Oh one more thing. CNET states that the Samsung is bad with noisy sources and displays them as is. What does this mean? My girlfriend and I don't do cable. We watch Netflix streaming and DVDs so would a noisy source be a problem? Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-01-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 615
I was one of the people complaining about the IR of the ST60. It goes away. I would not worry about it. That should not stop you from buying it. It only happens with menu items. I have not seen an ounce of IR from any actual TV watching.

I will no doubt be keeping the TV.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-01-2013, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

I was one of the people complaining about the IR of the ST60. It goes away. I would not worry about it. That should not stop you from buying it. It only happens with menu items. I have not seen an ounce of IR from any actual TV watching.

I agree with eric3316, IR will be a non issue. There is an ongoing thread about the ST60 input lag. If you are a fairly serious gamer, I could see this being an issue. I really don't think you can go wrong with either panel.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-01-2013, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 View Post

I agree with eric3316, IR will be a non issue. There is an ongoing thread about the ST60 input lag. If you are a fairly serious gamer, I could see this being an issue. I really don't think you can go wrong with either panel.

My big thing with IR is that I will be doing a lot of gaming in the Wii virtual console (letterbox). The big thing with the lag is playing 1:1 motion games (Wii, kinect) I guess my mind is pretty much made on the 6500, but I am unable to find it around me being last years model and all so I just had false hope that my worries were for naught. If anything I could stick with the LM6400 until next year, but whenever there is a panning scene on a movie or video game, it seems choppy. Any way to fix? Or is this just inherent with LCD's? I wish Samsung would have came out with a direct replacement for the 6500 this year...

Edit: I see that I can get the PN64E7000 for only a few hundred more. This may be the one!!!
post #5 of 5 Old 05-02-2013, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremekizzle View Post

My big thing with IR is that I will be doing a lot of gaming in the Wii virtual console (letterbox). The big thing with the lag is playing 1:1 motion games (Wii, kinect) I guess my mind is pretty much made on the 6500, but I am unable to find it around me being last years model and all so I just had false hope that my worries were for naught. If anything I could stick with the LM6400 until next year, but whenever there is a panning scene on a movie or video game, it seems choppy. Any way to fix? Or is this just inherent with LCD's? I wish Samsung would have came out with a direct replacement for the 6500 this year...

Edit: I see that I can get the PN64E7000 for only a few hundred more. This may be the one!!!
To fix the stutter you would need to raise the tru-motion setting under user, de-judder. That is the only way to smooth out panning scenes although I do not know how it works for video games.

Although if you will be doing mostly gaming on this thing I would probably stick with an LED and not worry about how long things stay on the screen.

For pq, the e7000 by far. I owned both TV's. biggrin.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page