Help disabling speakers on ST60 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 04-30-2013, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a new Panny st60 and can't find out how to disable the speakers so that I can use only my soundbar. I have a polk audio sound bar. I currently have the sound bar plugged into the digital audio out port on the tv. I cam getting the right sound out of my soundbar, but I can't turn the tv speakers off. I wouldn't mind it so much but there seems to be a lag between the tv speakers and the soundbar, which creates an echo effect. I searched the official thread but only saw people say turn the speakers to 0, which won't really work for me because my remote controls both the tv and the soundbar so the tv speaker volume goes up every time I adjust the soundbar volume.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-01-2013, 07:59 AM

Liked: 20
I just posted about this in the settings and issues thread. You can disable them in the apps section under viera link settings option. Im not at home but I will post the specific details if you need me to. I think its the bottom left box with the viera apps logo that sort of rotates.

let me know if you need more detail. (select home theater as output instead of speaker)
post #3 of 25 Old 05-01-2013, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

I thought I looked for that and couldn't find it. Can you post the specifics? Thank you.
post #4 of 25 Old 05-02-2013, 05:41 PM

Sorry for the delay. hit the app button then move over to viera link along the top next to DLNA link. hit ok then you will see speaker output move over to right and an options menu will come up with speaker or hometheater

Good luck
stanyite and kkirsche like this.
post #5 of 25 Old 05-24-2013, 07:20 PM

Same problem for me too. When i go to the viera link it says "feature not available". Any ideas why?
post #6 of 25 Old 05-24-2013, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by nielej View Post

Same problem for me too. When i go to the viera link it says "feature not available". Any ideas why?

It's only an option if you have your receivers version of HDMI CEC turned on. Different receivers call it different things. If it's turned off, there's no way to access the setting, or turn the speakers off. I just have mine set to 0 volume.

post #7 of 25 Old 05-27-2013, 09:31 AM

Liked: 11
I have a VT60 and a pioneer ST-1522, so this is specific to my setup, hopefully you find this useful.

Requirements:

HDMI ports on your TV and receiver that can send sound data in two directions.

On VT60 it's labeled as ARC and it's HDMI 2. On the receiver it says HDMI with control. My receiver has two HDMI outputs, and only one is marked as being capable of bidirectional sound/synchronized control.

On your receiver you need to enable control/ARC HDMI functionality (e.g., system setup> HDMI setup, etc.) and on the TV you need to disable speakers as described above via Vierra link app in the apps menu.

Hope this helps.
post #8 of 25 Old 05-30-2013, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm using a regular HR-24 DirecTV receiver through hdmi and I can't seem to find any settings for this. I'm getting the "feature not available" as well.

PSN: RetroGiant
post #9 of 25 Old 05-31-2013, 03:40 PM

Anyone got any ideas on what I could do? I'm kinda stumped. Really need to access viera link.

post #10 of 25 Old 06-01-2013, 01:53 PM

Well I was able to get into viera link through my ps3 but there are no speaker options when I click on it. It just says viera link control: player. And then the return button.

post #11 of 25 Old 06-03-2013, 09:23 AM

From the reports of others your device needs to be ARC capable, I did not know my old Sony AVR was but it must be because I have the option to use home theater over speakers in the viera link app
post #12 of 25 Old 06-03-2013, 09:27 AM

I don't understand some if the latest comments.. The viera link app is on the tv (not on ps3) I am using hdmi 1 for AVR, I have roku and pc hooked to that, when I use either I can adjust volume with tv remote on AVR, the tv says home theater with a plus and minus when adjusting volume.
post #13 of 25 Old 11-10-2013, 01:52 PM

I found this solution somewhere else a few days ago

Enable Hotel Mode on your TV

Press and hold the 'Vol -' button on the panel
Using the remote control, press input 3 times

Now you will see a service menu come on screen

Turn Hotel mode on

Set the volume to 0
and set the max volume to 0

Exit out of this menu, cycle power to the TV

You can go repeat the steps above to confirm the settings were saved.

The volume will now be 0 and audio out of the optical will continue to work
post #14 of 25 Old 11-11-2013, 02:03 PM

I am getting ready to purchase the ST60 and have a Sonos Playbar. The Sonos Playbar uses the TV remote to control volume. Any thoughts how I can get around this? If I cannot disable the tv speakers I don't know what options I have . . . thoughts?

Edit: If I put in hotel mode and set max volume to zero, can I still turn up the sound on the playbar?
post #15 of 25 Old 11-11-2013, 02:06 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwkr View Post

I am getting ready to purchase the ST60 and have a Sonos Playbar. The Sonos Playbar uses the TV remote to control volume. Any thoughts how I can get around this? If I cannot disable the tv speakers I don't know what options I have . . . thoughts?

Have you tried setting the TV's speaker setting to Home Theater?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #16 of 25 Old 11-18-2013, 10:40 PM

yes, put it in hotel mode and you can program your soundbar to adjust the volume from the panasonic remote or your sonos remote. Just teach your soundbar the volume controls from the panasonic.

I was never able to set my tv speakers to home theater as the tv always says 'feature unavailable'
post #17 of 25 Old 11-20-2013, 07:42 PM

I have been having the same problem with my folks ST60. I am trying to hook up a Pioneer SB23W with optical. I can get the echo effect and the sound bar works fine. I too have the same problem with the TV remote adjusting both volumes (the TV and the soundbar). I am going to try to see if there are settings on the Comcast Cable box that I can change to not allow sound thru the HDMI and to only allow it thru the Optical. If not, I will try the hotel mode thing and report back!

post #18 of 25 Old 11-22-2013, 07:56 AM

went with the "Hotel settings". That worked great! Thanks for the suggestion.

post #19 of 25 Old 02-15-2014, 07:57 AM

Liked: 12
Hi. I am using a Boston soundbar thru the optical out and experiencing lag. The TV is in hotel mode otherwise I too get an echo effect. I have tried the optical out from the st60 and also the directv box but still have the lag. Also tried different hdmi inputs and cables. The audio is ahead of the video....

Suggestions? Thanks.
post #20 of 25 Old 03-17-2014, 02:46 PM

Hi! I just registered to say thanks for the info about Hotel mode:)!  

And rxb2138: in the options menu under sound you can find spdif delay. there you should be able to solve your problem!

post #21 of 25 Old 03-18-2014, 04:05 PM

Liked: 12
Thanks Caresso. But I do not see the SPDIF delay in the sound menu. Are you accessing it from the service menu?
Quote:
Originally Posted by caresso View Post

Hi! I just registered to say thanks for the info about Hotel mode:) !  

And rxb2138: in the options menu under sound you can find spdif delay. there you should be able to solve your problem!
post #22 of 25 Old 03-18-2014, 05:21 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxb2138 View Post

Thanks Caresso. But I do not see the SPDIF delay in the sound menu. Are you accessing it from the service menu?

Caresso may have a foreign model which typically have different settings menus.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #23 of 25 Old 04-03-2014, 08:53 AM

Follow this advice (Heywould, 5/2/2013) and forget about "Hotel Mode." Your problem will be solved: TV speakers muted/inactive and TV remote controls AVR/Home Theater audio volume. A different Volume meter will now appear at the bottom of TV when audio is adjusted.
post #24 of 25 Old 05-16-2014, 01:10 PM

Hi,
I am able to change the setting from TV speakers to home theater, but I still do not get any audio out of my receiver and speakers. My AVR does not have HDMI ARC function. So, I have connected an optical digital cable coming out of the TV and going into my AVR for any volume that I want to send in that way.

This setup works fine when I am using a chromecast, but not when I am using the built in apps on the viera tv. Any other ideas that I should try.
post #25 of 25 Old 05-16-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npradeepkumar View Post

Hi,
I am able to change the setting from TV speakers to home theater, but I still do not get any audio out of my receiver and speakers. My AVR does not have HDMI ARC function. So, I have connected an optical digital cable coming out of the TV and going into my AVR for any volume that I want to send in that way.

This setup works fine when I am using a chromecast, but not when I am using the built in apps on the viera tv. Any other ideas that I should try.

Never mind. I found out the issue. My receiver was acting up. Everytime, I switched to viera apps, the input on the receiver was switching, which I had not noticed. After fixing that, it started working fine.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Sc 1522k 9 2 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - 1522k by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page