Best 55" - 60" Plasma for PC gaming via HDMI or DVI for under $900 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-03-2013, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

I have long lurked on your forums looking for specifics on HDTVs and home theatre equipment and I have seen a few threads along these lines but haven't quite found what I'm looking for. I took the plunge today and signed up to ask my question. The title details exactly what I'm inquiring about.

So as you know where I am coming from, this is what I am currently using:

GPU out: MSI Hawk Radeon HD 7870 via HDMI @ 1920x1080
TV: Sony Bravia 46" LCD
Audio: receiver to BOSE surround so audio is irrelevant to the topic at hand.

I sit on my couch about 8 feet away from the TV, which is wall-mounted. Below is a pic. (Mine is the one on top)

I wish to replace the TV I am currently using with a 55 to 60 inch plasma (I have to squint on mine sometimes, so I want something bigger) and then give mine to my wife (she's using a 32" LG and she doesn't squint because she has super good eyeballs tongue.gif )

The reasons for this are: plasma is, from what I have read in various places, and PLEASE, correct me if I'm wrong, one of the best pictures available, does motion very well, has a higher refresh rate than my current LCD (60Hz=60FPS capped=sad panda) has reduced input lag, (**I don't know what my current TV has for lag, but since I've been using it for a few years I don't know if I would notice better or worse, tongue.gif but since I'm a gamer primarily, this is pretty important to me) burn-in seems to have been greatly reduced from the days of yore, and probably the second most important consideration: it's muuuuuuuch cheaper than like LED or OLED or IPS or whatever.

So the wife has told me that $900 is the limit and I have been browsing around looking at reviews of various TV's, and I have found some, even some for super awesome prices http://brandnewdealsusa.com/60-Panasonic-Plasma-600HZ-1080p-HDTV-P3085110.aspx
Although I saw that the input lag on the above submitted link is horrible sooooo I'm giving it a wide berth.

Anyways, given the above, and my budget, (Seriously, I can't go above $900) does anyone have any suggestions? Obviously 60" is going to be better than 55" but since I'm coming from a 46" anyways, if there's a solid TV at 55" at a good price that meets the above requirements I will get it and call it a day. (But seriously, 60" would be SWEET)

Thank you to any and all who read this and I appreciate any and all assistance anyone may provide in this matter.

-Chris

PS: While 3D is a nice feature, and it would certainly be cool to try it out, it's not at the top of my list of must-haves. If it has it great, if not, oh well.

PPS: I do not care about power consumption. Seriously, look at my living room smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-03-2013, 07:41 PM

I just got that exact tv about 3 weeks ago for the same price from Sam's Club.It is my first plasma,but so far im blown away by the picture,it really is nice.I don't do any pc gaming but i have a PS3 and it doesnt have any lag or burn in so far.I think its the best deal you could get in that price range.Anyway,hope that helps, good luck with your decision.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-03-2013, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsfan28 View Post

I just got that exact tv about 3 weeks ago for the same price from Sam's Club.It is my first plasma,but sp far im blown away by the picture,it really is nice.I don't do any pc gaming but i have a PS3 and it doesnt have any lag or burn in so far.I think its the best deal you could get in that price range.Anyway,hope that helps good luck with your decision.

Thank you for your response. I will give this TV further consideration (Found it even cheaper elsewhere too)
post #4 of 11 Old 05-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
You might want to check out the U50, UT50 and S60 reviews on CNET to get an idea of the differences between the U50/54 and the S60. ABL seems a bit aggressive on both TVs, but the S60 has better picture controls and significantly higher peak luminance according to CNET (and CNET was reviewing smaller TVs, which might have higher luminance than the 60" counterparts). The 2012 U models inexcusably don't even have 2-point white balance controls in the user menu, although you can access those in the service menu. The S60 has 2-point white balance and a CMS for primaries in the user menu. If you aren't going to calibrate the TV, then that may not matter to you. Both TVs have excellent black level (better on the S60) and pretty low input lag (I think), but the the U50/54 has very limited peak luminance. There might be less IR on the S60, but I don't know. The 60" S60 is currently outside your budget, but it will fall into it eventually.

From 8', I do recommend choosing a 60" over a 55" if you can.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-03-2013, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan View Post

You might want to check out the U50, UT50 and S60 reviews on CNET to get an idea of the differences between the U50/54 and the S60. ABL seems a bit aggressive on both TVs, but the S60 has better picture controls and significantly higher peak luminance according to CNET (and CNET was reviewing smaller TVs, which might have higher luminance than the 60" counterparts). The 2012 U models inexcusably don't even have 2-point white balance controls in the user menu, although you can access those in the service menu. The S60 has 2-point white balance and a CMS for primaries in the user menu. If you aren't going to calibrate the TV, then that may not matter to you. Both TVs have excellent black level (better on the S60) and pretty low input lag (I think), but the the U50/54 has very limited peak luminance. There might be less IR on the S60, but I don't know. The 60" S60 is currently outside your budget, but it will fall into it eventually.

From 8', I do recommend choosing a 60" over a 55" if you can.

Thank you as well for your response to my query. It would seem the S60 is indeed about $200 outside (my wife's smile.gif ) price range, but that's good to know. Perhaps I can talk her into it in the days ahead smile.gif
post #6 of 11 Old 05-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 104
The U54 is on the very, very low end of the input lag scale. 27 ms vs most other TV's at 40 or more. The S60 will have a better panel and better menu controls, better PQ, and still has a relativley low input lag at like 33 ms or so. I'd personally choose a S60 over a U50.

You can still get the 50 inch S60 at BB or Sears or whatever for $700. The S64 (with the better Infinite Black Pro panel and filter) is only currently available in 65 inches and only at clubs.

It also appears you have some misinformation. Plasmas operate at 60 Hz. You will have a 60 fps limit even with them. 600 Hz drive is a totally different beast, has nothing to do with the scan rate the TV draws the image at. It's to do with how the TV blinks pixels to create more shades of color.

96 Hz modes are only for movie viewing, you can't set your output resolution to 96 Hz for regular content, it's only to multiply 24 fps film content to reduce flicker.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I've picked up the Samsung PN60E530 ( 60 inch ) over Christmas this year for 1000 ( Canadian ) and am thrilled with it so far. It's picture still blows me away, and it's been great for PC / PS3 and Blue rays .. I'm sure you can find a deal on it for even cheaper now I would suspect! As long as you don't need 3d and " Smart " T.V., it's great!

One caution though, as much as newer plasma's are supposed to be immune to image burn, I still managed to do it in about 4 months by leaving my browser up on my screen for about 2 hours.. the address bar is now slightly visible no matter what I watch, which sucks.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-04-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Perhaps adding the following may be helpful:
Since the only HDTV experience I currently have is with my 46" Sony Bravia which I have adjusted on a very basic way (because I haven't lurked quite enough yet it would seem tongue.gif) and I haven't really even noticed anything like input lag and probably don't know what a really nice properly adjust picture is supposed to look like anyway, how much "better" is my experience going to be, given my original inquiry, if I were to purchase either the Samsung PN60E535 or the Panasonic TC-60PU54? (Or the S60 or it's Samsung equivalent, if I can talk the wife into it)

I do apologize as I realize that's a fairly subjective question, but if anyone reading this fits roughly into the category of "owner of TV's in discussion who use their TV as a computer monitor" or anyone with experience then their advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also thank you for clearing up the 60Hz vs 600Hz thing. I looked that up quick and it seems that it just redisplays each frame (entering at 60Hz) 10 times between frames or something like that. So I will not reference that further.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-04-2013, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You can get pretty close to $900 with a Samsung PN60F5300, if you haggle a bit.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-04-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchilde View Post

The U54 is on the very, very low end of the input lag scale. 27 ms vs most other TV's at 40 or more. The S60 will have a better panel and better menu controls, better PQ, and still has a relativley low input lag at like 33 ms or so. I'd personally choose a S60 over a U50.

You can still get the 50 inch S60 at BB or Sears or whatever for $700. The S64 (with the better Infinite Black Pro panel and filter) is only currently available in 65 inches and only at clubs.

It also appears you have some misinformation. Plasmas operate at 60 Hz. You will have a 60 fps limit even with them. 600 Hz drive is a totally different beast, has nothing to do with the scan rate the TV draws the image at. It's to do with how the TV blinks pixels to create more shades of color.

96 Hz modes are only for movie viewing, you can't set your output resolution to 96 Hz for regular content, it's only to multiply 24 fps film content to reduce flicker.

Well good news smile.gif Talked the wife into the Panasonic TC-P60S60 smile.gif Got it for a biscuit over $1000 at East Coast TV's who are running a -$10 Customer appreciation and a 2% discount, plus no tax and free shipping. Should be here in 7 to 10 days.

Thank you to everyone who posted in here. You have all provided me with valuable input that I used to guide my purchasing decision.

Cheers, Chris

PS: I will make sure to add pics after I put it up on the wall and move mine down on the entertainment center. (Or put mine on the e-center and just shift the Sony up)
post #11 of 11 Old 05-14-2013, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Well I took the day off yesterday and spent the morning destroying my living room smile.gif
The good price I got from East Coast TV's was offset, at least in part, by what I would consider to be not super customer service. I don't like to paint an entire group of people with the same brush, but there's definitely something about folks from NYC/NJ. Very much "quit worrying, get off the phone, don't bug me" when I had a few concerns. Namely, WHERE IS MY TV??? The delivery window was from 1 to 5 on Monday, so I took the day off from work. When nobody had showed by 4:30 I got a bit worried so I called East Coast TV's and they said they would contact the delivery people and call me back. 15 minutes goes by, no call. I call them back: same answer "we'll call them and call you back." 20 more minutes goes by. It's now 5:20, no call. I call AGAIN and the guy's "Don't worry about it. It's fine. If it doesn't get there until 5:30 you're fine. Tries to get off the phone as quickly as possible. I wrangle the number to the delivery service out of him. I call them. They say "Oh yeah, they're in Wherever, NY and they have one more run and then you're next.

The TV showed up at 7:30PM. I totally did not have to take a day off work for that. Kinda irked me. The TV is absolutely beautiful but the place I bought it from, well they are "ok" in my book.

So after that, I spent the rest of the night putting the living room back together. I have the 46" sitting on top of the entertainment center, the center channel FINALLY no longer stuck behind another TV, nestled just under the 60" P60S60, which is like 1" from the ceiling tongue.gif It damn near killed me and my wife getting it up there, but we got it in the end and it is happily running through the colored slides as we speak. I have kept the brightness down and adjusted some things to my liking. It looks absolutely beautiful and I'm super happy with it. The whites are super faded as compared to my LCD (which I expected) but literally every single other color just pops right out of the screen and the blacks are simply marvelous.

Thank everyone here for your advice and input. You absolutely guided my decision in purchasing this TV.

Ok, pics: (I do apologize-the lighting is awful and I used the dreaded camera phone, but I was tired and sweaty and it was to hand)

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays