"There Is No Way To Disable The Internal Speakers In The 60 Series Pannys" - Panasonic Tech Support - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 50 Old 12-06-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Is it really necessary to disable the speakers? I have my Yamaha HTiB set up to only output sound to the external speakers and not to the HDMI out on the AVR. Also, I turned volume to zero on the TV. That's all I need to do since volume in my setup is controlled from the AVR and all my sources are connected through the AVR's HDMI inputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 12-06-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 519
That works also

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #33 of 50 Old 12-19-2013, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I can't believe everyone is dismissing AuralSex's complaints about this TV with the set-the-volume-to-zero and AVR explanations - they won't work for him. Here's the problem: there are soundbar solutions like ZVOX, Sonos PlayBar and lots of others that learn volume commands. This allows you to set your dumb, non-learning FIOS, Cablevision, Comcast, Time-Warner, Dish, DirecTV, what-have-you remote to the manufacturer code for the TV, i.e. Panasonic. This way one remote works the box it's designed for to change channels, go to the menu, etc., while also controlling the TV power and the TV volume. Those dumb remotes let you program for a TV for exactly those functions.

If you've got an A/V receiver and a Harmony remote (or URC or RTI or AMX or Crestron, etc.), then you can tell the Harmony/whatever to send volume commands to the AVR, power commands to the TV, and channel commands to your set-top-box. Or you can set your AVR to not send audio to the TV in the first place. Or if you're using HDMI you can rely on HDMI CEC to tell the TV not to send volume to the speakers, which you can't do if you're using the optical digital out like ZVOX, Sonos and others use to get their audio.

But, none of those are AuralSex's scenario, so none of those suggestions help him. He's got a dumb remote that he wants to use to control the TV volume and TV power. He can't program it to send one brand of volume command and another brand of power command unless he starts getting very tricky with the remote. He'd have to set his remote in TV mode for Panasonic, then hope it has an 'aux' function where he could set it to, say, a Samsung TV volume command, then he'd have to lock the volume commands to the aux function and teach that to the ZVOX/Sonos/etc. THEN he'd be able to set the TV volume to zero and have it stay there. Most times the remotes default to lock the volume to the TV, so it's another step, and I'm sure some remotes don't let you lock the volume to other than TV or STB. For example, I've seen plenty of those 'dumb' remotes that only have two devices: the set-top box and the TV. Then you're screwed and you're looking for a solution like AuralSex is looking for.

Bottom line: it's ridiculous of Panasonic to discontinue the ability to turn off the speakers, and it's ridiculous to say nobody ever needs to be able to turn off his TV speakers. Why do so many other TV makers have this function?

As AuralSex learned, Panasonic realizes they screwed up and knows they need to fix this. He's not the first person to call them to complain, and he certainly won't be the last. I for one hope that Panasonic fixes this.
MickJ likes this.

NJ Audioman
post #34 of 50 Old 12-20-2013, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Except the whole premise of the post is inaccurate, my speakers are disabled on my ST60 and the same thing works on the VT60. Its a simple menu option under the apps menu

post #35 of 50 Old 12-27-2013, 11:20 AM

Liked: 10

I've been following this thread in hopes of finding a solution to my speaker-related issue. I own a Panasonic TC-50PS64 and a Vizio 5.1 Sound Bar, model S4251-w-B4. We live in an urban area with many TV stations, so we dropped cable and receive our home programming thru a standard TV antenna or an Apple TV. I would love to have just a single remote to control both the TV and the sound bar, but since there's no way to disable the internal TV speakers I wonder if there are any options for us. Thanks in advance for any input.

post #36 of 50 Old 01-30-2014, 04:05 AM

Liked: 12
Congratulations, chunon - you had the foresight to buy a Panasonic TV in a model year when they still supported that function, unlike now, when it's NOT even a complicated menu option like it used to be and still is in many other manufacturer's set for the simple reason that lots of people need that function. Reading a couple more posts in this thread makes that perfectly clear. Not every person on this forum misses the obvious.

NJ Audioman
post #37 of 50 Old 01-30-2014, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomanNJ View Post

Congratulations, chunon - you had the foresight to buy a Panasonic TV in a model year when they still supported that function, unlike now, when it's NOT even a complicated menu option like it used to be and still is in many other manufacturer's set for the simple reason that lots of people need that function. Reading a couple more posts in this thread makes that perfectly clear. Not every person on this forum misses the obvious.

You have the S64/S60 I presume ?

post #38 of 50 Old 02-01-2014, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 58
This issue has been a pain since I purchased my ZT several weeks ago. My Vizio sound bar has a Optical connection. Every time a turn on the TV, I have to wake of the sound bar which requires to increase/decrease of the volume on the remote. When you adjust the volume on the remote, it also does the same for the internal speakers. After a period of time, the internal speaker can creep up and mix with the the sound bar. Adjusting the volume in the Hotel Menu fixed this problem and is a great solution for my needs.

If anyone is looking for a solution to turn off/disable the internal speakers, here's a solution:

Activate Hotel Mode:
1) Hold down Volume Down button on the TV (right side).
2) At the same time, press the Input button on the remote three times.
This should put you in Hotel Mode. If not, try again.

Once Hotel Mode is activated complete the following steps:
1) Select the Hotel Mode tab and turn on.
2) Select the Volume tab and reduce to zero.
3) Select the Volume Maximum tab and reduce to zero.
4) Exit Hotel Mode by turning off the TV via the remote control. Don't press the return key to exit as the setting won't take.

When you turn the TV on you should be good. Works for my ZT but should also work for the ST and VT. Good solution for those using a sound bar with Toslink. Would've been nice if Panasonic had included this feature via the Menu. At least we have a solution.

Apologize if the instructions to do this are already in this thread. Reviewed but didn't see instruction for entering Hotel Mode and how to adjust the tabs.
post #39 of 50 Old 02-01-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 344
On my S60, if you connect an external audio device (AVR, Sound Bar etc..) to the TV's audio optical output, the speakers will be disabled.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #40 of 50 Old 02-01-2014, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

On my S60, if you connect an external audio device (AVR, Sound Bar etc..) to the TV's audio optical output, the speakers will be disabled.

Ian

Are you sure about that? It's definitely false for the ST60, and I don't remember the S60 I had for a couple of weeks being any different.
post #41 of 50 Old 02-01-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

I use the sets digital optical output for streaming.(Everything else, DTV DVR, BD player and Roku 2, is connected to my AVR via HDMI). There is no sound coming from my S60's speakers when using the sets volume control. I'm sure of it.

Ian wink.gif

Not the same for the my ZT. Sound bar is connected via optical output on my TV. Adjusting the volume changes both the TV and the sound bar.
Bit strange. You would think it would be the same for both the S and ZT as they were manufactured in 2013.
post #42 of 50 Old 02-01-2014, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 344
I stand corrected. Only if you are connected to an external audio device such as an AVR using HDMI, the speakers are disabled. The OP of this thread inferred that the speakers could never be disabled.
Quote:
Holy crap! Just got off the phone with Panasonic Technical support and guess what? THERE IS NO WAY TO DISABLE THE INTERNAL SPEAKERS when using an external HT setup or soundbar!

Fortunately my DTV remote defers all volume control to my AVR, since I'm also using the optical output for streaming, You would think all good universal remotes would work that way.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #43 of 50 Old 02-09-2014, 05:20 PM

Liked: 13
So I'm having a similar issue as the OP... I have a Pioneer Soundbar which I want to connect via Optical cable. I have no cable TV at home, so there is no box or any other device... just the TV and my soundbar. I also just want to use the stock Panasonic remote and not any other 3rd party remote.

It seems there are two potential options:

1) Get some kind of temporary receiver that uses HDMI so that I can then enable the Viera Connect app (as without any connected compatible HDMI device, the Viera Connect app is not accessible), then set the system to "Home Theater mode"

2) Enter hotel mode and turn off the internal speakers that way

Are both of the above options permanent solutions? If I connect a Viera Connect compatible device via HDMI, set the sound to home theater mode via the app, then disconnect this device and just use the soundbar, will the setting stick, or no? Same with Hotel mode... is this something that would need to be done everytime, or just once? Also, are there are any other (negative) impacts of setting the sound of the internal speakers to off via hotel mode?

I still cant believe the internal speakers cant be turned off via a simple control in the menu settings like before
post #44 of 50 Old 02-09-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajuabju View Post

So I'm having a similar issue as the OP... I have a Pioneer Soundbar which I want to connect via Optical cable. I have no cable TV at home, so there is no box or any other device... just the TV and my soundbar. I also just want to use the stock Panasonic remote and not any other 3rd party remote.

It seems there are two potential options:

1) Get some kind of temporary receiver that uses HDMI so that I can then enable the Viera Connect app (as without any connected compatible HDMI device, the Viera Connect app is not accessible), then set the system to "Home Theater mode"

2) Enter hotel mode and turn off the internal speakers that way

Are both of the above options permanent solutions? If I connect a Viera Connect compatible device via HDMI, set the sound to home theater mode via the app, then disconnect this device and just use the soundbar, will the setting stick, or no? Same with Hotel mode... is this something that would need to be done everytime, or just once? Also, are there are any other (negative) impacts of setting the sound of the internal speakers to off via hotel mode?

I still cant believe the internal speakers cant be turned off via a simple control in the menu settings like before

When you disable the speakers in Hotel Mode, no sound is transmitted to the speakers via any connection to my knowledge. Like your sound bar, mine only had an optical output. I disabled the speakers on my set via the Hotel mode and and like the setup. My HT system is hooked up via HDMI cable so the speakers aren't needed. I like this setup but could easily activate the speakers if needed. The only real issue I have is when I turn on the TV. I have to push the Volume Up or Down buttons on the remote just once in order to wake my sound bar. Usually take around 5 seconds for the sound to reach the sound bar.

I think you probably have the Pioneer SB-SP23W sound bar. That should work well by disabling the speakers in Hotel Mode. But you can change it back if you don't like it. Just record the levels in case you decide to change it back. I had that sound bar in my home for 2 months before returning to BB this past Christmas. Really like the clarity of that sound bar. But the plastic door on the optical connect broke on the one I had. We also tried out a Vizio 5.1 bar. Wife liked the Vizio the best. I liked the Pioneer.
But both sounded good to me.
post #45 of 50 Old 02-09-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Lots of decontenting on the 60 models as they were preparing for phase-out, or whatever the reason was... Options like the volume thing removed from the master menu (not a big deal to me as there are many ways around this), the ridiculous 3 HDMI port limit, the REMOVAL of LINE LEVEL analog RCA outputs from ALL TVs recently (which goes hand in hand with the speakers off option and is more important to me with older A/V equipment) and so on and so forth.
post #46 of 50 Old 02-10-2014, 07:28 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post

Lots of decontenting on the 60 models as they were preparing for phase-out, or whatever the reason was...

Removal of the ability to turn the speakers off was because their research revealed having this feature was not necessary to the vast majority of owners, since simply turning the volume down to zero works fine for 99% of us. It would be more of a cost-cutting move, and surely had nothing to do with them phasing Plasma TVs out.

Aside from the above, what other decontentments did they make on the 2013 models?

They actually increased performance across the whole line, and added features and added better picture setting menus even on the low end models.

Quote:
Options like the volume thing removed from the master menu (not a big deal to me as there are many ways around this), the ridiculous 3 HDMI port limit, the REMOVAL of LINE LEVEL analog RCA outputs from ALL TVs recently (which goes hand in hand with the speakers off option and is more important to me with older A/V equipment) and so on and so forth.

Again, their research supposedly revealed that the 4th HDMI input was not needed by the vast majority of owners so removing it was another cost-cutting move. Personally, i need 5 HDMI inputs, but i'm in the vast minority.

As for the removal of analog RCA audio outputs, they did that like 5 years ago.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #47 of 50 Old 02-10-2014, 10:03 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post

When you disable the speakers in Hotel Mode, sound is transmitted to the speakers via any connection to my knowledge. Like your sound bar, mine only had an optical output. I disabled the speakers on my set via the Hotel mode and and like the setup. My HT system is hooked up via HDMI cable so the speakers aren't needed. I like this setup but could easily activate the speakers if needed. The only real issue I have is when I turn on the TV. I have to push the Volume Up or Down buttons on the remote just once in order to wake my sound bar. Usually take around 5 seconds for the sound to reach the sound bar.

I think you probably have the Pioneer SB-SP23W sound bar. That should work well by disabling the speakers in Hotel Mode. But you can change it back if you don't like it. Just record the levels in case you decide to change it back. I had that sound bar in my home for 2 months before returning to BB this past Christmas. Really like the clarity of that sound bar. But the plastic door on the optical connect broke on the one I had. We also tried out a Vizio 5.1 bar. Wife liked the Vizio the best. I liked the Pioneer.
But both sounded good to me.

Yes, you're correct on the SB-SP23W. It sounds great in my living room, and its more than enough for my apartment. Anything more would be overkill and I'd just get noise complaints from the neighbors lol

Will try hotel mode tonight, thanks again.
post #48 of 50 Old 02-11-2014, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Removal of the ability to turn the speakers off was because their research revealed having this feature was not necessary to the vast majority of owners, since simply turning the volume down to zero works fine for 99% of us. It would be more of a cost-cutting move, and surely had nothing to do with them phasing Plasma TVs out.

Aside from the above, what other decontentments did they make on the 2013 models?

They actually increased performance across the whole line, and added features and added better picture setting menus even on the low end models.
Again, their research supposedly revealed that the 4th HDMI input was not needed by the vast majority of owners so removing it was another cost-cutting move. Personally, i need 5 HDMI inputs, but i'm in the vast minority.

As for the removal of analog RCA audio outputs, they did that like 5 years ago.

Yes, that's why I referred to the RCA thing as being ALL TV makers down to the last few recently.

As for Panasonic, it couldn't have cost much to include an extra HDMI input or two and leave the speaker turn off setting in the menu. Cost-cutting is precisely my point. It cuts the cost little, but has a much larger effect to those few who do need it for the little amount saved leaving it in.

It's like the argument I frequently get into with people who say Bang and Olufsen, Bowers and WIlkins, Panasonic or whoever that decides to build things in China is making equipment that is every bit as good as where the component was made previously. Well maybe to most people that's the case but I can certainly tell a difference. So it's not a case to me of market research being good enough to start throwing the axe left and right on things that probably don't save a whole heck of a lot. On that note, I believe the ZT panels at least are produced in Japan and shipped to Mexico for final assembly, which I thought was kind of cool.

Flip side of that argument of course is that obviously they were already in such financial trouble with the TV division that they had to cut the entire plasma line altogether. So obviously those few pennies I guess made a difference to them.
post #49 of 50 Old 05-27-2014, 06:15 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post

If anyone is looking for a solution to turn off/disable the internal speakers, here's a solution:

Activate Hotel Mode:
1) Hold down Volume Down button on the TV (right side).
2) At the same time, press the Input button on the remote three times.
This should put you in Hotel Mode. If not, try again.

Once Hotel Mode is activated complete the following steps:
1) Select the Hotel Mode tab and turn on.
2) Select the Volume tab and reduce to zero.
3) Select the Volume Maximum tab and reduce to zero.
4) Exit Hotel Mode by turning off the TV via the remote control. Don't press the return key to exit as the setting won't take.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This worked for me and I'm eternally grateful. How awesome is the internets?
post #50 of 50 Old 05-27-2014, 08:12 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpfotog View Post

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This worked for me......

Be very careful when accessing the Hotel Mode as you can accidentally lock yourself out of the TV. Most models have some sort of setting for Remote Lock and/or Button Lock so DO NOT select these or change these from Off to On as you will no longer be able to control the TV with the buttons or the remote, in which case you will not be able to get back into the Hotel Mode to correct things.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page