"There Is No Way To Disable The Internal Speakers In The 60 Series Pannys" - Panasonic Tech Support - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 50 Old 05-04-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Holy crap! Just got off the phone with Panasonic Technical support and guess what? THERE IS NO WAY TO DISABLE THE INTERNAL SPEAKERS when using an external HT setup or soundbar!!! This option did exist in the VT50 but curiously does not in the VT60. Say what??? I'd guess that 90% of purchasers are not going to want to use the internal speakers and will, instead, be using some external speaker setup. And they're going to want to disable the set's internal speakers. Ain't going to happen. Not without a software patch at least. The tech representative said they are "aware" of the issue and are "working on a fix." Bizarre that this is an option which existed in the outgoing 50 series units but was deleted in the 2013 60's.

I feel strongly both ways!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 05-04-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Can't you just set the sound level to zero? If you're using a programmable remote, your remote would be programmed to operate your receiver anyway.

Bob
post #3 of 50 Old 05-04-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

Can't you just set the sound level to zero? If you're using a programmable remote, your remote would be programmed to operate your receiver anyway.
The Fios remote "learned" the codes to control the ZVOX speaker. Sadly it still controls the sound from the TV so when I adjust the volume up/down with this remote I adjust both the internal speakers and the ZVOX at the same time. Becuase the sound is not perfectly sync'ed up between the two this is not a good solution. So I have to mute the TV's speakers and then just use the ZVOX's remote to adjust volume. It works but it seems like an inelegant solution. It seems to me like this would be a pretty simple software fix for Panasonic and one that they'll probably push out as I imagine that 90% of the purchasers of the 60 series are going to have the same complaint. We'll see I guess.

post #4 of 50 Old 05-04-2013, 08:25 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralSex View Post

The Fios remote "learned" the codes to control the ZVOX speaker. Sadly it still controls the sound from the TV so when I adjust the volume up/down with this remote I adjust both the internal speakers and the ZVOX at the same time. Becuase the sound is not perfectly sync'ed up between the two this is not a good solution. So I have to mute the TV's speakers and then just use the ZVOX's remote to adjust volume. It works but it seems like an inelegant solution. It seems to me like this would be a pretty simple software fix for Panasonic and one that they'll probably push out as I imagine that 90% of the purchasers of the 60 series are going to have the same complaint. We'll see I guess.

Or just get a harmony universal remote. Problem solved!
post #5 of 50 Old 05-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
It is weird that they took out this feature, as it's been in their TV's for years. Luckily I have a Harmony remote and I have it programmed to control my Denon AVR volume, so it never sends out the code for the TV. I just turned it down to '0' and it's fine.

However, I understand your issue with the ZVOX. I have a ZVOX soundbar, and those are basically designed for you to use your TV remote or Cable/Satellite remote (programmed for your TV) to operate. I have a Panasonic 47" LED in my bedroom, have the TV speakers disabled, and use the Panasonic remote to control volume. When I press 'volume up' it goes up on the ZVOX soundbar, and the TV displays something like "TV Speakers Disabled" in a little gray box along the bottom. Without the ability to disable the speakers, it'd crank both up simultaneously, how annoying!!

The fact that they took this feature out makes absolutely no sense to me.

It's kinda like all the new 2013/14 Mazda models. When playing content off of USB, such as an iPod or flash drive, it'll always restart at folder 1, track 1, when the car is powered on. LOL. Why would you take away the ability to resume playback when the car starts when it's been that way for years? It just doesn't make any sense.
post #6 of 50 Old 05-04-2013, 08:44 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:

The Fios remote "learned" the codes to control the ZVOX speaker. Sadly it still controls the sound from the TV so when I adjust the volume up/down with this remote I adjust both the internal speakers and the ZVOX at the same time. Becuase the sound is not perfectly sync'ed up between the two this is not a good solution. So I have to mute the TV's speakers and then just use the ZVOX's remote to adjust volume. It works but it seems like an inelegant solution.

On all the TVs i've owned or set up for others along with a Home Theater system, i've never had the need to turn the TV speakers off, i just turn the volume down to zero and leave it there. Maybe Panasonic realizes that there is just no need to have a dedicated setting to turn the TV's speakers off so they did away with it.

The FIOS remote should not be simultaneously sending a Volume command to both your TV and the ZVOX so it sounds like maybe the ZVOX uses the exact same volume code as the Panasonic TV does since both of them respond to the FIOS remote together, but i've never heard of any other soundbars doing that.

Have you gone into the TV's menu and changed the Speaker Output setting to Home Theater instead of TV?

Is the FIOS box actually doing the volume control and you are just assuming it's the TV's volume control? I'm wondering about this because a FIOS remote doesn't "learn" to control other equipment all by itself, it may actually be adjusting the volume output of your FIOS box and not actually controlling the TV's volume control. When you press Volume buttons on the FIOS remote, is the volume level bar displayed on the screen the Panasonic volume bar, or the FIOS's volume bar, or the ZVOX's volume bar?

Have you tried re-programming your FIOS remote to send volume commands to just the ZVOX and not the TV? Or is that not possible with the ZVOX? Maybe the way the ZVOX operates is just not compatible with the way the new 60-series TVs volume control method, but that would be the fault of the ZVOX, not the TV.

Have you checked the Sound Bar forum to see if anyone is having issues like yours with other brands of sound bar?

Quote:
It seems to me like this would be a pretty simple software fix for Panasonic and one that they'll probably push out as I imagine that 90% of the purchasers of the 60 series are going to have the same complaint. We'll see I guess.

I don't know where you get that 90% figure from, but in seeing dozens of big screen flat panel setups on various people's homes over the years the number of them using a home theater system is more like 20%.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #7 of 50 Old 05-04-2013, 09:14 AM

Liked: 12
I remember on my last tv, you needed to turn off the internal speakers to pass 5.1. Can the 60 series pass 5.1 with internal speakers on?
post #8 of 50 Old 05-04-2013, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

On all the TVs i've owned or set up for others along with a Home Theater system, i've never had the need to turn the TV speakers off, i just turn the volume down to zero and leave it there. Maybe Panasonic realizes that there is just no need to have a dedicated setting to turn the TV's speakers off so they did away with it.

The FIOS remote should not be simultaneously sending a Volume command to both your TV and the ZVOX so it sounds like maybe the ZVOX uses the exact same volume code as the Panasonic TV does since both of them respond to the FIOS remote together, but i've never heard of any other soundbars doing that.

Have you gone into the TV's menu and changed the Speaker Output setting to Home Theater instead of TV?

Is the FIOS box actually doing the volume control and you are just assuming it's the TV's volume control? I'm wondering about this because a FIOS remote doesn't "learn" to control other equipment all by itself, it may actually be adjusting the volume output of your FIOS box and not actually controlling the TV's volume control. When you press Volume buttons on the FIOS remote, is the volume level bar displayed on the screen the Panasonic volume bar, or the FIOS's volume bar, or the ZVOX's volume bar?

Have you tried re-programming your FIOS remote to send volume commands to just the ZVOX and not the TV? Or is that not possible with the ZVOX? Maybe the way the ZVOX operates is just not compatible with the way the new 60-series TVs volume control method, but that would be the fault of the ZVOX, not the TV.

Have you checked the Sound Bar forum to see if anyone is having issues like yours with other brands of sound bar?
I don't know where you get that 90% figure from, but in seeing dozens of big screen flat panel setups on various people's homes over the years the number of them using a home theater system is more like 20%.

Thanks for the response Randy. Interestingly, the ZVOX actually has the ability to "learn" the remote codes from an external remote such as the Fios. Here is the description of that feature from their own product literature:

Uses Your Remote Control
The new Z-Base systems can be programmed to respond to your remote control. The illuminated display walks you through a less-than-a-minute programming cycle. Then your TV remote...or cable box remote...or satellite receiver remote...or ANY remote...can control volume, mute, power and input functions of the ZVOX system.

So the Fios remote which had already been programmed to adjust the Panasonic's basic controls (volume, etc) now controls both the ZVOX and the VT60. The volume display on the set is defintely the set's volume control and not Fios'. So even if I had the Fios remote "unlearn" the ZVOX it would then only be able to adjust the TV's volume which, as you know, I don't want varied off '0.' The VT60's menus do not have an option to change speaker output from TV to home theater. That's the problem. The VT50 series did have this potion. The VT60 does not. As I said, the Panasonic rep said they were aware of this problem and were working on a software patch that would fix this omission and include it in the available settings. When (or if) this gets done is anyone's guess, however. As to the "90%" comment it was just a guess on my part. If you're saying that it's actually closer to 20% that use external speakers I have to defer to you as it seems you're in the business. I just find it hard to understand how anyone could listen to music or, for that matter, anything with any dynamic range whatsoever, and remain satisfied with the tiny little built-in speakers. To spend $2000 - $3,500 on sets like this and remain satisfied with a speaker system that's more likely found on a $79 table radio is curious to say the least. So anyway, for now I'm just keeping the TV's volume to 0 and controlling the ZVOX with their own dedicated remote.

post #9 of 50 Old 05-04-2013, 10:25 AM

Liked: 11
There's no setting in the menu on my ST60, but somehow it knows to disable the internal sound with my HT. Even if I put the volume to max on the TV, no sound comes out.
post #10 of 50 Old 05-04-2013, 10:45 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Looking at the 60 series manuals, i see a menu for Viera Link HDAVI Control and something called "Automatic Input Switching" which says when using a Home Theater System the speakers automatically switch to the Home Theater System. I don't have this on my GT50 so i can't test it out, but have you tried fiddling with this setting on your VT60? Is this menu available to your or is it grayed out? Or does it work with your ZVOX taking the place of an actual Home Theater System? Is there a different way you can connect that ZVOX thingy to the TV?

TV makers typically try to make their TVs compatible with all the other brands of devices and sources and systems etc, but as things get more complicated among the various CE manufacturers there is bound to be some unforeseen incompatibilities between some brands and devices. Sometimes one or the other can come up with a firmware update to fix an issue (like the Onkyo issue a year or two back), but not always. It appears ZVOX's volume methods presume that the TV will have a dedicated On/Off setting in it's menu, but if a manufacturer removes that setting then the ZVOX is hung out to dry. Not really the fault of the TV, it's more of an unforeseen limitation of the ZVOX. Does the ZVOX have a setting that prevents it from operating the TV's volume control?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #11 of 50 Old 05-04-2013, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkdilkington View Post

There's no setting in the menu on my ST60, but somehow it knows to disable the internal sound with my HT. Even if I put the volume to max on the TV, no sound comes out.
Are you connecting your HT system to the TV with an optical cable, an HDMI cable with ARC or with RCA cables? I'm using an optical cable and it does not mute the VT60 so speakers.

post #12 of 50 Old 05-04-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 749
I would agree that this is an oversight, and that many users will not want to use the internal speakers. but i'm also guessing that of those "90%" that don't want to use the internal speakers, 85% will be fine having the speakers set to 0, and letting their a/v gear do what it usually does. I could see this being a big problem only if the speakers emit static, or cause some kind of interference and affect pq is some way. otherwise, it's just going to be an oddity, that will affect a small group of ppl that want to use the TV's volume control but output through an external system.

that being said, if I do choose the f8500 over the panny's(based on picture quality and my needs) I may use the inability to disable the internal speakers as one of the cons for the panny's. i'm almost at the point that I would buy any tv that comes WITHOUT internal speakers just to support that decision. I don't really care how small the cost is, I don't want em. and anybody that 'needs' internal speakers has enough soundbar options to choose from.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #13 of 50 Old 05-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmannc View Post

I remember on my last tv, you needed to turn off the internal speakers to pass 5.1. Can the 60 series pass 5.1 with internal speakers on?

Yes, from Netflix/Amazon and USB drives. The S60 and ST60 will even pass DTS from files on USB drives. Haven't looked at HDMI.

The absence of the TV Speakers On/Off command is weird, but it hasn't been an issue, as turning the volume down to zero works fine. It's actually kind of nice to be able to just turn the volume up and use it as a normal TV when I don't want to change the input on my AVR (it's my PC's amp, too) or turn my AVR on. Moreover, the optical output is fixed, so the TV volume has no effect on it. I've always used Speakers On/Off with prior TVs, but I wouldn't go back to using it if they added the command, nor would I seek it out on new TVs as long as they worked like the Panasonic.

Here's a practical advantage. My mom got a Sennheiser "Stethoset" headset to listen to her TV. I would never be able to teach her how to navigate her Sony's menus to turn the speakers on and off, and the Sony discrete code for this function doesn't work on her TV. The Sony's analog outs are fixed volume, so she can just turn the TV volume down to zero when she wants to use her headset and back up when she doesn't. Simple.
post #14 of 50 Old 05-04-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:

Are you connecting your HT system to the TV with an optical cable, an HDMI cable with ARC or with RCA cables? I'm using an optical cable and it does not mute the VT60 so speakers.
hdmi/arc
post #15 of 50 Old 08-02-2013, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyOnTheWall View Post

Or just get a harmony universal remote. Problem solved!

I have a Panasonic 65PS64, Onkyo HT-R990 receiver, and a Harmony Smart Control, but I have yet to get sound from the Panasonic in OTA tuner mode to play on the receiver.

FlyOnTheWall, how is your hooked up, in terms of optical/digital out of the Panny to your receiver, and inputs/outputs on the Harmony?

Thanks.

Denon AVR-X4000
Onkyo M-5130
Panasonic VIERA TC-P65VT60
SVS Dual-PB12-NSD, a pair
Pioneer Andrew Jones
Cambridge Soundworks Dipole rear center
X-Rite EODIS3 i1Display/Calman5 Control
Denon AH-D600 headphones
post #16 of 50 Old 08-20-2013, 03:22 PM

Liked: 10
mad.gifmad.gif

just bought a panasonic 60 series tv and sonos sound bar ie aug 2013 and have discovered same issue cannot turn off the internal speakers. Have set the volume to "0" but obviously it is a real pain having to adjust the volume of the sound bar manually ie TV remote will only increase volume again from "0". I have read most of comments on this including hotel option but nothing working here.
really angry with dealer I purchased from as I relied on their advice with this purchase we actually discussed advantages of using the TV remote to control the sonos sound bar and disabling the internal TV speakers. Has there been any more development on this ???
post #17 of 50 Old 08-20-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Yea, I discovered this after setting up my sister's new S60. Tried looking for a way to turn the speakers off but no luck. But after hooking everything up via HDMI through the Outlaw 950 it appears that the speakers are automatically disabled when using the 950 for movies and TV. No sound was coming out. Though I couldn't find anything in the manual about it.

post #18 of 50 Old 08-28-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:

I have a file with instructions that can get your Fios remote to control ONLY the sound on the Zvox and not the sound on your TV. This means that you can turn down your TV and only use the Zvox. No more annoying echo. PM for the pdf file
post #19 of 50 Old 08-30-2013, 09:57 AM

ok just hit this myself, purchased the HTC CT260 soundbar to go with the ST60, but I had to run the volume all the way to 0 for the TV for the soundbar volume to be the only one functioning.

Any way to control/replace the TV volume by the Soundbar volume - so that I can use the 1 Panasonic remote to control the TV and the soundbar? I hooked it up using the optical cable.
post #20 of 50 Old 08-30-2013, 10:47 AM

Can the HTC CT260 learn your remote's commands?
post #21 of 50 Old 12-04-2013, 09:41 PM

Hi all,

I'm new to AVS and late to this thread, but hoping you have figured out an answer to this issue. I have the same problem with my ST60, Sonos Playbar, FIOs remote setup. I turned on hotel mode and turned down the volume to 0, but my Verizon remote seems to override hotel mode and turns the volume up again. Frustrating to say the least. I did a little searching in the Sonos forum, but no one seems to have the same hardware combination or, at least, they haven't posted about it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Bluehill

post #22 of 50 Old 12-05-2013, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 492
You don't need it in hotel mode, there is a setting the apps menu for Viera Link, change the default speaker to "Home Theater" that should solve your problem.
kkirsche likes this.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #23 of 50 Old 12-05-2013, 08:25 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

You don't need it in hotel mode, there is a setting the apps menu for Viera Link, change the default speaker to "Home Theater" that should solve your problem.

Or, at least on my receiver, I have an option for audio output as: TV+Amp, Amp, or TV. As long as Control for HDMI is turned on, and I have the output to Amp, it will use the receiver to play audio and not the internal speakers. This is with the Sony STR-DN1040 and TC-P65ST60
post #24 of 50 Old 12-05-2013, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have the ST60 where that feature is greyed out. Turns that hotel mode did work. Just turned off the TV and turned it back and it works. Still see the volume indicator every time I adjust the volume, but I'll figure that on out later.

post #25 of 50 Old 12-06-2013, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Its probably greyed out because you don't have viera link active, it has to be turned on in the setup menu. All ST60s have the same menu options that hotel mode is a bad idea imo

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #26 of 50 Old 12-06-2013, 05:39 AM

I have Viera link options turned on and still the viera link options under Apps is grayed out. This has been a known issue and many people have the same problem with the option grayed out under the viera link apps.

I'd like to know why you think using the hotel mode is a bad idea?
post #27 of 50 Old 12-06-2013, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCajda View Post

I have Viera link options turned on and still the viera link options under Apps is grayed out. This has been a known issue and many people have the same problem with the option grayed out under the viera link apps.

I had the same issue...literally just spent an hour getting it working, but....I have Denon 4308ci...PS3...slim and 65VT60...tv will turn on denon and PS3...tv will turn off Denon but not PS3...PS3 will turn on tv and Denon...but I don't always want tv to turn PS3 on as my movie watching and gaming is maybe a 1/5 of my viewing....not a big deal, but I think if I want the PS3 to not come on, I have to sacrifice using it to turn on tv and receiver. I will play with it more. It is amazing how involved it gets....Im tech savvy, and I struggle...can you imagine the clueless? They must never get it right if they don't know exactly what to do or pay someone who may have to guess/trial error like I did.

As others have said, you have to go into Apps..Viera Link...and if it is grayed you need to reboot systems...make sure your receiver is on proper monitor out related to HDMI...shut receiver down completely unplug....replug, turn on tv...reconnect receiver, turn on...make sure all HDMI controls are set to on...receiver, tv...then check to see if viera link in apps engaged and is no longer gray...you might have to change settings and reboot if that doesn't sync the HDMI controls each unit has.
sheshechic likes this.
post #28 of 50 Old 12-06-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCajda View Post

If you have everything setup properly it wont be greyed out. If it is still not working call Panasonic. But its your set feel free to do whatever you want with it if it ever locks up tho which I have heard accounts of you may be screwed

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #29 of 50 Old 12-06-2013, 11:35 AM

I'm not using a receiver and have a sound bar plugged into the optical out on the TV to the sound bar. HDMI's are 1-DirectV, 2-BluRay, 3-OPPO DVD. No matter what I plug in, in any order the viera link is always grayed out. If I even remove the sound bar it still doesn't work and Yes I have viera link turned on in the setup section.
To say I don't have everything setup properly is an ignorant statement on your part in my opinion.
post #30 of 50 Old 12-06-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

With that setup it will not work you need either a sound-bar or receiver that supports hdmi control.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page