PNxxF5500 owners thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 772 Old 07-25-2013, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I also am experiencing the white level poping or flashing that a lot of you are seeing. It is noticeable on content other than hockey. If a scene has a lot of white area, it dims and then the white level "pops" when that scene changes to something with a smaller area of white. Firmware version V1105.7 has NOT addressed this issue. I have the PN60F5500. Any info is appreciated. The picture is great, but the occurrence of this issue is so often, it may be going back.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 772 Old 07-25-2013, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstring58 View Post

I also am experiencing the white level poping or flashing that a lot of you are seeing. It is noticeable on content other than hockey. If a scene has a lot of white area, it dims and then the white level "pops" when that scene changes to something with a smaller area of white. Firmware version V1105.7 has NOT addressed this issue. I have the PN60F5500. Any info is appreciated. The picture is great, but the occurrence of this issue is so often, it may be going back.

Thank you.

This has been ongoing for a few generations of Samsung plasma now and is caused by the Auto Brightness Limiter kicking in - Samsung have had plenty of chances to fix this or at least lessen the effect so I wouldn't hold my breath on them releasing a firmware fix.

Anybody experiencing this should contact Samsung directly as putting pressure on them may be our only chance of them eventually acting if they are bombarded with frustrated owners.
post #273 of 772 Old 07-25-2013, 01:15 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Has firmware version1108 addressed the problem of white level "flashing" or "pumping"? Also, where did you find v1108? I went to the Samsung site and the most recent I found was version 1105.7 released on 6/18/13. The Samsung TV I have is the PN60F5500.

Thanks!

Manually download it through the TV. It isn't on the website.

No release notes, so who knows what it does.
post #274 of 772 Old 07-25-2013, 01:46 PM

I find that turning off motion lighting, dynamic contrast and black tone eliminates some, but not all of the popping/dimming.
post #275 of 772 Old 07-25-2013, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the info. I downloaded v1108 for my PN60F5500 and after about 30 minutes of viewing, the issue is still there, but seems to be better. A large field of white will still noticeably drop off in brightness, but not quite as suddenly. The return to a correct white level appears to be more natural as well. I may just really want to see what I'm hoping to see, but at first glance, there seems to be an improvement. But, by no means is it a fix. Let's hope that each firmware update brings an improvement to the main issue of this otherwise great-looking TV. Thank you again for info on how to get V1108.
post #276 of 772 Old 07-25-2013, 05:15 PM

Hello All,

Just got my 60" f5500 yesterday and it looks great. I even like the pentile RGBG.

Anyways it makes a really loud buzzing sound. A phone call with a tech implied that it was transformer buzzing which is normal for this "entry level" tv. We are talking a directional buzz that is very loud 11-14 feet from set sitting dead center. It disappears if I move left or right or sit on a bean bag at 6-8 feet.

My question is, do you think a repair or replace could reduce this noise?

If not, I am prepared to live with it, but I am going to experiment with acoustic foam, electric tape baffles, adding rubber washers to the SMPS to isolate the 60 hz vibration that may be rattling the back chassis, etc...

I bought from shady east coast dealer with anti-consumer return policy so it's Samsungs warranty or aftermarket hack or bust.

Any thoughts guys? Thank you.
post #277 of 772 Old 07-25-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Gingras View Post

Hello All,

Just got my 60" f5500 yesterday and it looks great. I even like the pentile RGBG.

Anyways it makes a really loud buzzing sound. A phone call with a tech implied that it was transformer buzzing which is normal for this "entry level" tv. We are talking a directional buzz that is very loud 11-14 feet from set sitting dead center. It disappears if I move left or right or sit on a bean bag at 6-8 feet.

My question is, do you think a repair or replace could reduce this noise?

If not, I am prepared to live with it, but I am going to experiment with acoustic foam, electric tape baffles, adding rubber washers to the SMPS to isolate the 60 hz vibration that may be rattling the back chassis, etc...

I bought from shady east coast dealer with anti-consumer return policy so it's Samsungs warranty or aftermarket hack or bust.

Any thoughts guys? Thank you.

I have buzzing, but it's faint, and from 11-14 feet you don't hear it. Since yours is that loud at that distance, I would setup a warranty request. It doesn't hurt, you have it for 1 year. Complain complain complain, with Samsung. I doubt East Coast will handle anything such as that.
post #278 of 772 Old 07-26-2013, 03:41 PM

I have a tech coming out today, he is the co owner of the service company and an "engineer." 'll sit him down in the buzz zone and move him in an out of it. The techs admitted that the buzz is variable and some units are louder than others, with cheaper models generally buzzing the loudest. If this is within normal intensity I'll live with it. But It saddens me that I can't sit in the sweet spot of my surround sound setup - have to sit a couple feet left or right and the buzz disappears.

And there is always my big comfy bean big in center of the room - no buzz there.

I will also ask him about the feasibility of mitigating the buzz, be it through electrical tape or acoustical foam or opening up the back or other.

Stay tuned.
post #279 of 772 Old 07-28-2013, 08:29 PM

cnet says this model failed the 24fps test is that correct?
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-pn51f5500/4505-6482_7-35757117.html
post #280 of 772 Old 07-29-2013, 10:48 AM

I have the 60F5500 and upgraded to v1108 last night. No noticeable difference in the auto-dimming feature being relaxed. Not really sure what this upgrade even "fixed".

Hockey is downright unwatchable. It looks like people are taking pictures with a really bright flash. I can't believe this set made it out of quality control with this horrendous effect.

To the optimist, the glass is half full.
To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
post #281 of 772 Old 07-31-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeee87 View Post

cnet says this model failed the 24fps test is that correct?
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-pn51f5500/4505-6482_7-35757117.html

I doubt CNET would lie about it, but I haven't experienced anything first hand that my naked eye could notice, and I've watched a few 1080p (not 1080p/24 if there is a difference) movies on this screen. Find a local store with the unit and have see with your own eyes.
post #282 of 772 Old 07-31-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Engineer View Post

I have the 60F5500 and upgraded to v1108 last night. No noticeable difference in the auto-dimming feature being relaxed. Not really sure what this upgrade even "fixed".

Hockey is downright unwatchable. It looks like people are taking pictures with a really bright flash. I can't believe this set made it out of quality control with this horrendous effect.

Pictures? I really don't know what you guys are talking about. Why do you guys want to enable auto-dimming in the first place for these units?
post #283 of 772 Old 07-31-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Gingras View Post

I have a tech coming out today, he is the co owner of the service company and an "engineer." 'll sit him down in the buzz zone and move him in an out of it. The techs admitted that the buzz is variable and some units are louder than others, with cheaper models generally buzzing the loudest. If this is within normal intensity I'll live with it. But It saddens me that I can't sit in the sweet spot of my surround sound setup - have to sit a couple feet left or right and the buzz disappears.

And there is always my big comfy bean big in center of the room - no buzz there.

I will also ask him about the feasibility of mitigating the buzz, be it through electrical tape or acoustical foam or opening up the back or other.

Stay tuned.

So what did the tech say?
post #284 of 772 Old 07-31-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasyn View Post

Pictures? I really don't know what you guys are talking about. Why do you guys want to enable auto-dimming in the first place for these units?

They don't want to enable the auto dimming feature but the brightness pops are pretty much the same effect you would get with this feature enabled - basically when something bright comes onscreen the panel will adjust the brightness several times before it settles down.

This isn't a feature (that can be turned on/off) it is a fault ...
post #285 of 772 Old 07-31-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I just upgraded the latest v1108 firmware, and I think the pic quality is improved. Better color saturation with more vibrant colors that pop, and better blacks. Haven't seen a hockey game to comment on ABL. I have black levels set to darkest and use Standard mode. I am guessing that maybe these software updates can change the pic quality presets in the service menu. But whatever the case, the pic quality seems noticeably better on my 51 inch. Images seem less soft and more vibrant and stronger.
post #286 of 772 Old 08-01-2013, 09:57 AM

Any of you guys with the F5500 come from the E7000 series? I'm looking at equivalent 64 inch models and they can be bought for the same price. Just looking to see if anyone has any opinions between both. Thanks!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
post #287 of 772 Old 08-02-2013, 06:40 PM

I am using the setting that CNET reviews recomonds but i feel like when i wanna see sports i miss and end up changing to the dynamic option does any one else use different setting when sports is what you wanna see
post #288 of 772 Old 08-02-2013, 07:00 PM

Don't ever use Dynamic settings - if you plan to do so you would be as well purchasing a cheap LCD. The full advantage of these cheap plasmas is the more natural look you get not to mention the far superior motion and blacks - give your eyes 5 or 6 days to adjust to this TV - I am pretty sure you will be rewarded if you have a bit of patience ... if not simply accept that plasma is not for you and no point trying to force something out of the panel that simply isn't there in the first place ...
post #289 of 772 Old 08-02-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkyjames View Post

Don't ever use Dynamic settings - if you plan to do so you would be as well purchasing a cheap LCD. The full advantage of these cheap plasmas is the more natural look you get not to mention the far superior motion and blacks - give your eyes 5 or 6 days to adjust to this TV - I am pretty sure you will be rewarded if you have a bit of patience ... if not simply accept that plasma is not for you and no point trying to force something out of the panel that simply isn't there in the first place ...

Your most likely right i mean when seeing movies or shows i love the blacks and white but ill get use to it its only been two days
post #290 of 772 Old 08-04-2013, 10:41 AM

Liked: 14
Just got a PN60F5500 yesterday, liking it so far.
My old Panny ARC sound bar looks like it's getting control signals but no audio out of the sound bar, I can't see an ARC label on any of the HDMI's and didn't find much in the online doc about ARC other than it sounds like it should work. Is there a specific HDMI I should be using for ARC?
post #291 of 772 Old 08-04-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalbers View Post

My old Panny ARC sound bar looks like it's getting control signals but no audio out of the sound bar, I can't see an ARC label on any of the HDMI's and didn't find much in the online doc about ARC other than it sounds like it should work. Is there a specific HDMI I should be using for ARC?

Try HDMI 1, should work biggrin.gif
post #292 of 772 Old 08-05-2013, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:

I have my PN51f5500 hooked up to HDMI 2 ARC make sure anynet (HDMI-CEC) is on mine works with my onkyo 616

My main setup PN60E8000 / Directv genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top middle Bic Acoustech speakers,MICCA M-8S FH/TM on wall / in ceiling speakers / 2 Bic F12 subs
MY 10' X 15' DEN PN51F5500 / Directv Genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray / Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos / Bose 161 top front on Ceiling Speakers
post #293 of 772 Old 08-05-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:

This should explain it. The tv might not have ARC.

edit

It actually does have ARC and is labeled as such:

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01
post #294 of 772 Old 08-05-2013, 11:37 PM

I have the Pn60F5500. I also have the WR7 URC learning remote. The TV did not come with the basic remote that the F8500 comes with, so I only have the samsung smart touch remote. I am trying to use the learning function on the WR7 URC to learn buttons from the samsung remote, but not having any luck. All other IR based remotes it learns buttons fine, and the samsung remote appears to have an IR part on top, but the WR7 doesn't see any signal coming from the samsung. Any suggestions?
post #295 of 772 Old 08-06-2013, 07:01 AM

Liked: 14
Thanks I'll try that, I hard to see that after you get this monster up on the wall!
post #296 of 772 Old 08-06-2013, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 17
With only 45 minutes of exposure I would think that IR should fade fairly quickly.

PSN: RetroGiant
post #297 of 772 Old 08-06-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:

ARC only works on HDMI 2 (and is labeled as such). I've tried 1 and it no worky.

To the optimist, the glass is half full.
To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
post #298 of 772 Old 08-07-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMO5007 View Post

The brightness pops are getting annoying also....
Notice it bad on all white backgrounds specifically commercials
I feel for all you hockey fans....
Instead of the white looking white it looks like a dull grayish white
Noticed it when watching golf and ball is in the air
We need a firmware fix
How would samsung fix this?

First thing you have got to do is complain to them about the problem - it is caused by the Auto Brightness Limiter kicking in too aggressively. I am guessing that it is actually more of a hardware limitation as opposed to software as Samsung haven't shown any inkling of trying to smooth it out via a firmware upgrade for the last couple of generations ...

Bottom line is that if people just accept it Samsung won't bother trying to fix it.
post #299 of 772 Old 08-08-2013, 01:38 PM

Just downloaded firmware V1110 and the ABL issue is still present. In fact, I just purchased an LG 60PN5700 60" plasma for $599.99 at MC. Just can't get used to the white level issues from the Samsung's ABL....very distracting. Obviously, one of the two will be going back. If the quality of the LG is anywhere near the quality of the Samsung w/o the ABL 'popping" problem, it's a keeper. I know the LG doesn't have 3D and the SmartTV features are not as good as the Samsung's, but over 90% of my TV time is from an HD cable box. Of course, the free Blu-Ray player will have to go back with the Samsung, but I already have one. The free player is still sealed in the box.
post #300 of 772 Old 08-08-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Just downloaded firmware V1110 and the ABL issue is still present. In fact, I just purchased an LG 60PN5700 60" plasma for $599.99 at MC. Just can't get used to the white level issues from the Samsung's ABL....very distracting. Obviously, one of the two will be going back. If the quality of the LG is anywhere near the quality of the Samsung w/o the ABL 'popping" problem, it's a keeper. I know the LG doesn't have 3D and the SmartTV features are not as good as the Samsung's, but over 90% of my TV time is from an HD cable box. Of course, the free Blu-Ray player will have to go back with the Samsung, but I already have one. The free player is still sealed in the box.

For me, the ABL issue is that annoying. It takes you out of the moment.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn60f5500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Un46f6300 46 Inch Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f6400 46 Inch 3d Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55f6800 55 Class 1080p Smart Tv 3d Slim Led Hdtv With 3d Glasses , Samsung Pn60e8000 60 Inch Ultra Slim Plasma 3d Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page