Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoOne30 View Post

Ok ok fine rolleyes.gif

@xxghostxx

If you're thinking plasma, this one is a sure bet. You will not be disappointed. I mean if you've never owned one, any plasma you get will blow you away in terms of quality. Deep blacks, flawless motion no matter what gets thrown at it, etc. You'll be happy no matter what you get.

I though he did answer your question.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 747 Old 02-13-2014, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXGhostXx View Post

Dude why you being so ignorant? I did read this thread, again I wanna know how this TV is as of today? I commented here for Curtious Info not this BS drama. Maybe I should make myself clearer here I go. (Clears throat)

Ok, anyone who has this TV either the 51' or 60' model as a long time owner, say over 5 or 6 months how is the TV operating after long time use? I just wanna know if it's a good buy at the low price for this TV or you get what you pay for as again I have never owned a plasma or a 3D TV? Thank you very much in return.

I've had the 51" for about 4 months now and I love it. Blurays look amazing, my ps4 looks amazing and the 3d quality is excellent. Deep blacks, good colors...an all around great bang for your buck tv. I got the 51" for $850, you can't beat that. There is no other tv out there IMO that will give you this kind of pq along with 3d and smart features for that price.
superleo and xXGhostXx like this.
post #543 of 747 Old 02-13-2014, 01:02 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoOne30 View Post

Ok ok fine rolleyes.gif

@xxghostxx

1) The flashing issue, at least on my set, was fixed with software version 1113. We are now on version 1120. I can't say "it won't be an issue", but, it won't be an issue

2) Image retention has long been the battle cry of the LED fan. However it hasn't actually been an issue since, the early 00's I think? I'm on my second plasma, and my last one was a cheaper LG. I'm on the xbox quite a bit, and I've never had even the faintest issue with image retention. I play on average for about 1-4 hours at a time. But the one thing I do, is after I'm done, I turn to a channel with big bright colorful fullscreen shows. HGTV is perfect. And I let that play for 20 mins or so. Just to reset the pixels JUST IN CASE.

3) Pentile. The dreaded pentile. While I hope they go back to normal arrays, I can tell you 100% that the pentile grid effect is not noticeable at normal viewing distances. I sit about 8-9' back, and it is 100% not noticeable in the least. Up close, of course it's all you see. But are you planning on sitting 2' from the TV?

4) Buzzing noise. So all my stuff feeds into my TV. Cable box, xbox, bluray player, Wii U, etc. And then I feed the audio from the TV to my stereo. I can tell you that I only hear the buzzing noise when my stereo is turned OFF. When it's on, there is virtually no buzz (aside from the normal buzz of having a massive piece of electronics powered on). I have no idea if this is normal, but that's how it is for me. And since I never watch with the stereo off, it's not an issue. And if I for some reason wanted to watch with no sound, I'd just turn the volume down to zero.

If you're thinking plasma, this one is a sure bet. You will not be disappointed. I mean if you've never owned one, any plasma you get will blow you away in terms of quality. Deep blacks, flawless motion no matter what gets thrown at it, etc. You'll be happy no matter what you get.

Thank you and as far as the pentile screen goes. I sit much closer to the TV than normal as I have glaucoma and my vision is not the greatest about 4-5 feet sometimes 3 depending on what I am viewing. So maybe the 60' pentile is not a good choice for me and the 51' would be better. I just found a Sears store that has the 60' on display guess I will check that out. Thank you for the info.
superleo likes this.
post #544 of 747 Old 02-13-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post

I though he did answer your question.

He did and I acknowledged it and thanked him, this I was just responding to his earlier post.
post #545 of 747 Old 02-13-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkage View Post

I've had the 51" for about 4 months now and I love it. Blurays look amazing, my ps4 looks amazing and the 3d quality is excellent. Deep blacks, good colors...an all around great bang for your buck tv. I got the 51" for $850, you can't beat that. There is no other tv out there IMO that will give you this kind of pq along with 3d and smart features for that price.

Thank you I probably will be going with the 51' before I look at the 60' on display at my local Sears. How is the TV viewing up close say 3-4 feet and does it have a swivel base?
post #546 of 747 Old 02-13-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Thank you I probably will be going with the 51' before I look at the 60' on display at my local Sears. How is the TV viewing up close say 3-4 feet and does it have a swivel base?

3-4 feet is fine...I usually sit 6-7 feet away which is perfect for me but I've tested it at all distances and you'll be golden at 3-4 feet. You really don't see any pixelation until you're right up on it like maybe a foot away. As far as a swivel base I do believe it has one but I put mine on one of those 3 in 1 tv stands with a mount and I love that thing, it swivels on that which is perfect for me, but I'm almost positive that the stand it comes with does swivel
Sporadik and xXGhostXx like this.
post #547 of 747 Old 02-13-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 509
post #548 of 747 Old 02-14-2014, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Now that's a short viewing distance, why so close ? Gaming ? Computer use ?

Gaming as I have glaucoma and my eyesight is not the greatest.
post #549 of 747 Old 02-15-2014, 03:05 AM

Ok I decided to go with the PN51F5500 it's nice. One question and I'm not sure if this was covered in this thread but is there a way to check how many hours you have used the TV? I heard 100-200 hours is when a plasma is at its best and to keep contrast & brightness low during first time use?
post #550 of 747 Old 02-17-2014, 04:00 PM

Liked: 10
Smart remote......do any other Samsung remotes work instead? I can tell already Im not going to like that remote and its almost a deal breaker for me. Does anyone know if a Time Warner cable remote will work this TV? Im hoping it would be able to select around with the arrow keypad on TWC remote, change inputs and smart screens, volume, etc.

I am currently using an old Panasonic TH-42PWD7UY commercial EDTV and its been working fantastic for 9+ years, hell the pq is better than most LED's today. Anyways, time for a larger screen and I cant wait. For the price, the PN60F5500 seems to have all the smart TV goodies and plasma quality, but that remote looks very limited....am I wrong here? Is everyone just dealing with it or is there a workaround?

Haven't been on this forum in years.....cheers everyone! smile.gif
post #551 of 747 Old 02-17-2014, 05:25 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIONICSTAR View Post

Smart remote......do any other Samsung remotes work instead? I can tell already Im not going to like that remote and its almost a deal breaker for me. Does anyone know if a Time Warner cable remote will work this TV? Im hoping it would be able to select around with the arrow keypad on TWC remote, change inputs and smart screens, volume, etc.

I am currently using an old Panasonic TH-42PWD7UY commercial EDTV and its been working fantastic for 9+ years, hell the pq is better than most LED's today. Anyways, time for a larger screen and I cant wait. For the price, the PN60F5500 seems to have all the smart TV goodies and plasma quality, but that remote looks very limited....am I wrong here? Is everyone just dealing with it or is there a workaround?

Ha, funny! I also had a similarly old, perfectly functioning, much-loved, but now seemingly too small 42" Panasonic Plasma monitor (TH-42PW4) that I replaced with the PN51F5500 a few months ago and I'm liking it quite a bit. I don't know that I can give you a definitive answer WRT remotes, but I was able to successfully program my old Logitech Harmony 880 universal IR remote to drive the PN51F5500 pretty well.
BIONICSTAR likes this.
post #552 of 747 Old 02-18-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Regarding remotes I use a Harmony 1000, with all my components, including the TV and works perfectly.

On a different note, I went to the software update menu, just to check ... What'd you know? New update available.
BIONICSTAR likes this.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

post #553 of 747 Old 02-18-2014, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIONICSTAR View Post

Haven't been on this forum in years.....cheers everyone! smile.gif

You get used to the remote pretty quickly. But I gotta ask, what are you going to use it for?

I'm fairly certain most, especially on these boards, would use it for turning on the TV or changing inputs. That's what I do, and my setup is probably basic compared to the average forum user here.

It can be programmed to control your cable box. I did that... for like a day. The touchpad is so sensitive that picking it up would activate some sort of fast forward or pause control (which I could never do trying purposefully), so I disabled it.

But I've actually come to like it. Better than a mile-long clunkathon. Nice and small form factor, turns on and changes inputs quickly, etc.

BIONICSTAR and citizenkage like this.
post #554 of 747 Old 02-18-2014, 02:52 PM

I watch a lot of DVR'd shows and I dont see the normal Stop, FF, Rewind, etc on that smart remote. So, Im hoping my TWC remote, which works great as a universal, will work the smart TV features on the TV by using the arrows and Enter button......Im hoping someone can confirm. I dont mind having to pull out the TV remote to change certain settings for PQ, etc, but that smart remote just doesnt look like it will cut it for controlling my Denon and cable box.

Anyone using a cable or dish remote with this TV? Has anyone tried using that Samsung keyboard with this TV? That KB looks sweet! http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-smart-wireless-keyboard-for-select-samsung-smart-tvs-mobile-phones-and-tablets/8790227.p?id=1218893507035

post #555 of 747 Old 02-19-2014, 11:12 PM

My first thought about the flickering white mentioned in this thread, was that some people bring their cameras to the games.

And cameras usually use flash indoors.

But, indeed - the display overreacts a bit, but I have seen the photo flashes on other types of sets too.

The picture quality on these Samsung sets was maybe a bit too realistic and natural from the beginning.

post #556 of 747 Old 02-20-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SWIN- View Post

My first thought about the flickering white mentioned in this thread, was that some people bring their cameras to the games.

And cameras usually use flash indoors.

But, indeed - the display overreacts a bit, but I have seen the photo flashes on other types of sets too.

The picture quality on these Samsung sets was maybe a bit too realistic and natural from the beginning.
It's been talked about on threads all over the place. The flashing is the remote triggered strobe lights for the professional photographers, they are up in the rafters (or whatever structure is up near the ceiling. That's why they show up so much more on hockey, because of the reflective ice.
post #557 of 747 Old 02-20-2014, 10:23 PM

Thank you rmalbers - I just started to read the thread from the beginning.

Probably not seen on LCD sets, because of the slow type of display.

One wonders about, how Samsung managed to remove the flashes with a software update.

Lovely sets at a very good price.

post #558 of 747 Old 02-21-2014, 05:21 AM

I guess I've been watching too much espn because now I have the espn logo burnt in on the bottom right corner of my screen. I ran the Disney wow pixel flipper for a couple hours but it didn't go away. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Do you think this is permanent burn in? Or could it be severe ir? Do you think it will eventually go away? I don't notice it unless it's all white in that corner like a hockey game or something.
post #559 of 747 Old 02-21-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkage View Post

I guess I've been watching too much espn because now I have the espn logo burnt in on the bottom right corner of my screen. I ran the Disney wow pixel flipper for a couple hours but it didn't go away. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Do you think this is permanent burn in? Or could it be severe ir? Do you think it will eventually go away? I don't notice it unless it's all white in that corner like a hockey game or something.

How long did you leave it on ESPN?
post #560 of 747 Old 02-21-2014, 08:09 PM

I didn't think I left it on that long that's why I was so surprised when I saw the logo burnt In. I broke the tv In for about 200 hours, I have the pixel shifter on and I always turn the sleep timer on if I'm watching tv before bed. I've tried to be really careful with this tv.
post #561 of 747 Old 02-21-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Prople don't think it makes a difference, but if you are concern with image retention and/or burn in , you have to lower contrast around 90%.

post #562 of 747 Old 02-21-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post

Prople don't think it makes a difference, but if you are concern with image retention and/or burn in , you have to lower contrast around 90%.

Yeah I had the contrast at 100 but now I lowered it to 80, but do you think it'll eventually go away or is this a permanent deal? I only notice it when it's white in that area like a hockey game or something. I don't really notice it too much but since I know it's there I'm always looking for it, which bothers me. Do you think I should try to use my warranty to exchange it for a new one of just hold out and hope it goes away?
post #563 of 747 Old 02-22-2014, 01:53 PM

Liked: 12
So I haven't been here in a few days i think I'm gonna get this set. Just one thing I'm worried about and that my friend's is a hdmi splitter . I don't know what one to get, it needs to be arc compatible one. I have six device's i hook up to my tv. I'm worried about the splitter causing lag. If anyone has any thoughts just let me know. I definitely know I should hook the ps4 up straight to the tv. Then it's just deciding what other game systems i want to hook up to the tv v.s. the splitter.

I have a soundbar with woofer, Xbox one,ps4,ps3,Wii u,and direc tv receiver oh and plus a laptop lol.

Why, Sony? Why?...
post #564 of 747 Old 02-22-2014, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
advantages and cons

adv :

great natural colors
excellent blacks in no lit environments
fast response
no uniformity issues and even screen
good sound

cons :

image retention inspite of pixel shift tech and sammy screen saver and precautions taken
grey blacks in lit rooms

image retention is deal breaker for gamers and hdtv channels
post #565 of 747 Old 02-22-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustafa811 View Post

advantages and cons

adv :

great natural colors
excellent blacks in no lit environments
fast response
no uniformity issues and even screen
good sound

cons :

image retention inspite of pixel shift tech and sammy screen saver and precautions taken
grey blacks in lit rooms

image retention is deal breaker for gamers and hdtv channels

What model you have? I have the PN51F5500

So even after breaking the plasma in after 100-200 hours with contrast and brightness low and if you use the scrolling bar after using an Xbox/ps3 every time there's still a problem with IR?
post #566 of 747 Old 02-22-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:

What model you have? I have the PN51F5500

So even after breaking the plasma in after 100-200 hours with contrast and brightness low and if you use the scrolling bar after using an Xbox/ps3 every time there's still a problem with IR?

even after break in for 500 hours .. believe me i started hating playing games .. i also need to say that this tv does not need break in at all .. it didn't matter at all instead i think image retention is more apparent after breaking in .. other issue is that game details is not like led or lcd it is not obvious in movies but i noticed it in games may be due to less luminosity and so you need to increase gamma to reveal details which misses with graphics

i have pn51f5000
post #567 of 747 Old 02-22-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:

even after break in for 500 hours .. believe me i started hating playing games .. i also need to say that this tv does not need break in at all .. it didn't matter at all instead i think image retention is more apparent after breaking in .. other issue is that game details is not like led or lcd it is not obvious in movies but i noticed it in games may be due to less luminosity and so you need to increase gamma to reveal details which misses with graphics

i have pn51f5000

That sucks honestly hope I do not run into these problems as my experience is flawless so far on gaming and HDTV. Looks 100 times better than my 46' LED. You have a different model as mine is PN51F5500 3D Smart TV and you said yours is PN51F5000?
post #568 of 747 Old 02-22-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:

That's sucks honestly hope I do not run into these problems as my experience is flawless so far on gaming and HDTV. Looks 100 times better than my 46' LED. You have a different model as mine is PN51F5500 3D Smart TV and you said yours is PN51F5000?

i think they are the same panel except for 3d

well i sold the screen after 2 events

1 watched a movie on hdtv channel for like 2 hours and the stupid channel just put the logo forever even on commercials .. after 2 hours of sammy screen saver the ch logo still there .. have to keey the screen saver working for 12 hours to get rid of 95 % .. that was month before , now i think i got rid of 97% but i know that it is still there and once i watch the same channel it will be stuck forever .. a very faint logo is apparent on greyish screen only

2 i played shadowfall on ps4 .. i only played multiplayer .. it is like 10 minutes match than 2 minutes menu alternating so i guessed no problem at all .. after 3 hours or 4 i opened the sammy screen saver just in case to be surprised that the weapons and interface is all over the screen edges and it took 24 hours to get rid of 95 % of the static marks

3 so half the time i used to open the sammy screen saver more than i use the tv so this was the deal breaker for me and i sold the tv and now i am searching for another set
post #569 of 747 Old 02-22-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:

i think they are the same panel except for 3d

well i sold the screen after 2 events

1 watched a movie on hdtv channel for like 2 hours and the stupid channel just put the logo forever even on commercials .. after 2 hours of sammy screen saver the ch logo still there .. have to keey the screen saver working for 12 hours to get rid of 95 % .. that was month before , now i think i got rid of 97% but i know that it is still there and once i watch the same channel it will be stuck forever .. a very faint logo is apparent on greyish screen only

2 i played shadowfall on ps4 .. i only played multiplayer .. it is like 10 minutes match than 2 minutes menu alternating so i guessed no problem at all .. after 3 hours or 4 i opened the sammy screen saver just in case to be surprised that the weapons and interface is all over the screen edges and it took 24 hours to get rid of 95 % of the static marks

3 so half the time i used to open the sammy screen saver more than i use the tv so this was the deal breaker for me and i sold the tv and now i am searching for another set

I use the side scroller effect after every hour of gaming or with any channel logos (also cinema aspect helps) just to be safe plus I have contrast/brightness level low with contrast between 75-80. I haven't really heard any bad reviews at all on my particular model for IR and gaming. Maybe you got a lemon or that model has that type of problem not sure. I'm still new to this TV and plasmas in general, hopefully someone here more technically advance can chime in.
post #570 of 747 Old 02-23-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:

i have pn51f5000
My budy does not mind a bit playing games on his plasma, I guess it just depends........
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn60f5500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Un46f6300 46 Inch Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f6400 46 Inch 3d Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55f6800 55 Class 1080p Smart Tv 3d Slim Led Hdtv With 3d Glasses , Samsung Pn60e8000 60 Inch Ultra Slim Plasma 3d Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page