Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 750 Old 03-27-2014, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBoomer View Post

I'm not the best judge because I hear ringing 24/7, but I've asked my family to listen for buzz, and no one is hearing any. Have you tried using the supplied ferrite cores on the electrical cable?

I hear ringing 24/7 as well and the buzzing seems to exacerbate the problem. I put a ferrite core on the power cable like the manual suggested and have it plugged directly into the wall and the buzzing didn't change. Changing the sharpness and contrast doesn't improve the issue either. Maybe some people are more sensitive to the buzzing than others, or maybe there really are some panels out there that don't buzz. If my third one buzzes, I will be led to believe its the former.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 750 Old 03-28-2014, 09:12 AM

Liked: 16
Well, if you have tinnitus, and can still hear it, I would say there's an issue. I have children between the ages of 11 and 16, so they can hear frequencies old folks (like me) can't, so I'm assuming if there was a buzzing on ours they would hear it. I've read some thoughts on this board that room configuration and sound reflections may cause the sound to be amplified on plasmas, but I don't know how you could know that other than moving the TV around. Anyway, good luck.
Sporadik likes this.
post #633 of 750 Old 03-28-2014, 09:16 AM

On another note, has anyone applied the 1122 Firmware update?
post #634 of 750 Old 03-28-2014, 02:07 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdip View Post

I've had my PN60F5500 for a bit over a weak now and I'm loving the picture this thing makes. Great, realistic colors and very nice, detailed blacks. Also no issues with the way it handles motion.

But there is one gripe I'm having with it. Whenever the panel is showing a flat/uniform picture with bright colors (e.g. white), there seems to be uniformity issues on my set. It shows these vertical "ripples" and this is really problematic for me because I watch a lot of hockey and the ice shows these ripples very well. It shows it most when the camera is panning across the ice as the puck moves from zone to zone. It seems like quite a few of you watch hockey on these sets; do you know what I'm talking about or is it only my set doing this? It ONLY happens on these flat, bright pictures like sheets of ice, or snow on a mountain. It's invisible otherwise. I tried to take a picture of it but apparently plasma panels don't photograph very well.... I tried various shutter speeds on my camera and I just can't get a decent photo of the image the TV makes.

Besides this issue, I really like the TV and think it's a great value for the money. The reflections do get pretty bad during the day but I can deal with this because I only really care about high image fidelity when I'm watching movies, and virtually all of my movie-watching is done at night. During the day, it's mostly TV stuff which tends to have a bright picture and not many dark scenes, so the reflections aren't too much of an issue there.

Can anyone chip in about those ripples I am seeing while watching hockey? I have 30 days to return the set. It would be quite a hassle to do, but I'm quite sensitive to things like this and I don't think I would get used to it down the road. And like I said, I watch a lot of hockey so I'd be seeing this every other day.

Bump... I know there are hockey fans in this thread!
post #635 of 750 Old 03-28-2014, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
@jcboomer - I am still on 1120, can't comment!

@jdip - thankfully I don't have that issue, sucks to hear tho!
post #636 of 750 Old 03-29-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBoomer View Post

I'm not the best judge because I hear ringing 24/7, but I've asked my family to listen for buzz, and no one is hearing any. Have you tried using the supplied ferrite cores on the electrical cable?

I haven't tried that, because I honestly had no idea what those things where when I opened the box. Haha. Will give that a shot in a few hours and report back. Thanks!

post #637 of 750 Old 03-29-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoOne30 View Post

@jdip - thankfully I don't have that issue, sucks to hear tho!

Thanks for the feedback. Besides those vertical "ripples" I find the picture quality quite underwhelming for hockey games in general.... It's strange because the picture is great for any other content... It's going to be a PITA, but I might have to send it back... since I do a lot of hockey watching.
post #638 of 750 Old 03-30-2014, 04:35 AM

Honestly you must have a defective display. I was watching the Leafs game last night and while the content hurt my eyes wink.gif the quality of the picture was top notch. Crystal clear, amazing color, and no flashing/rippling.
Sporadik likes this.
post #639 of 750 Old 03-30-2014, 08:52 AM

Is there any kind of chime for this tv when you turn it on/off? My 2008 Samsung plasma played a little chime when I would turn it on/off which helped assure me the set was actually off. I have yet to find such a feature with this tv.
post #640 of 750 Old 03-30-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopy6 View Post

Is there any kind of chime for this tv when you turn it on/off? My 2008 Samsung plasma played a little chime when I would turn it on/off which helped assure me the set was actually off. I have yet to find such a feature with this tv.

Not sure but the screen will go black and the red light will be on the bottom left corner.
post #641 of 750 Old 03-30-2014, 05:19 PM

Yeah the screen turning off is usually a pretty good indicator.
post #642 of 750 Old 03-30-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoOne30 View Post

Yeah the screen turning off is usually a pretty good indicator.

Thanks for the very helpful response... When my cable box gets turned off but the tv is left on with a black screen it's hard to tell if it's on or off.

Thanks ambesol! Was looking for an audible notification, but if all I have is the red light, then it's what I will live with.
post #643 of 750 Old 04-01-2014, 02:54 PM

Been researching TVs for the past year,going back and forth from LCD/LED and plasma. Set my sites on a plasma. Have seen the F8500 and F5500 in person. Really a slight difference to me in picture quality. (not a videophile/not looking to spend over 2k on a TV) And then I found this thread. So I will be purchasing a F5500 soon. Thanks everyone for all the info.
post #644 of 750 Old 04-01-2014, 04:14 PM

How reliable are the stands on these TVs? I remember seeing a Samsung plasma (can't remember if it was the f5500, but it had a gray pronged stand) at Sears and just lightly touching it would cause the whole thing to slightly wobble. I've started looking for a decent plasma to get that isn't hard on the wallet and this looks like a good candidate but we have 2 cats at home. Should I even be worried about the possibility of them easily toppling the TV?
post #645 of 750 Old 04-01-2014, 05:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by georaldc View Post

How reliable are the stands on these TVs? I remember seeing a Samsung plasma (can't remember if it was the f5500, but it had a gray pronged stand) at Sears and just lightly touching it would cause the whole thing to slightly wobble. I've started looking for a decent plasma to get that isn't hard on the wallet and this looks like a good candidate but we have 2 cats at home. Should I even be worried about the possibility of them easily toppling the TV?
Yeah, the stand did look pretty worrying to me when I first saw the TV. Also, the footprint (i.e., the area of the rectangle formed by the four points where the feet touch down) is pretty large--which was actually my initial worry about the stand. I wanted to re-use a small-ish cabinet to set it on. It formerly had a 42" Panasonic plasma panel with a more more compact footprint. (Fortunately it wasn't too large.) Anyway, my TV hasn't fallen over yet, but then again my cat doesn't jump up on anything she's not allowed to jump up on :-)
post #646 of 750 Old 04-01-2014, 06:53 PM

@bman149 - welcome to the owners club, you'll love it, I guarantee it.

@georaldc - we eventually installed the tv on our stand after using the stand it came with. Before we installed it, the stand it came with seemed... strong enough. I would rock it back and forth a little and it didn't seem like it would fall or anything. That said, we did stop using it wink.gif
post #647 of 750 Old 04-01-2014, 10:11 PM

Liked: 13

Got one the other day from PaulsTV and waiting for it. I too hate the stand. I went to Costco and looked at the 60 inch version and I just plainly dislike it. I am wondering if there are stands from other Sammy's that can be hooked up to this TV. I am pretty sure there are some previous models with flat rectangular stands with the same fittings as this one. Just gotta know which and pick the right one. Just a DIY for the future.

Anyway hopefully the whites issue with hockey games gets fixed via firmware.

P54G10, PN64F5500 owner.

post #648 of 750 Old 04-02-2014, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetePablo View Post

Got one the other day from PaulsTV and waiting for it. I too hate the stand. I went to Costco and looked at the 60 inch version and I just plainly dislike it. I am wondering if there are stands from other Sammy's that can be hooked up to this TV. I am pretty sure there are some previous models with flat rectangular stands with the same fittings as this one. Just gotta know which and pick the right one. Just a DIY for the future.

Anyway hopefully the whites issue with hockey games gets fixed via firmware.

I hoped for the same thing. Was going to swap stands off my c7000. Not sure if the holes line up but the plastic part they go through to attach is a different shape😡
post #649 of 750 Old 04-02-2014, 01:26 PM

@EchoOne30 any recommendations on where to purchase the TV? Should I get the extended warranty?
post #650 of 750 Old 04-02-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman149 View Post

@EchoOne30 any recommendations on where to purchase the TV? Should I get the extended warranty?

Going from my experience with my c7000 (panel swapped twice for pink banding then finally gave up and gave me this set), I'd recommend it.
post #651 of 750 Old 04-02-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I would say probably the best TV in this price range. I'm not really happy with the stand but it works fine. I suggested to paint it black to my wife and she just told me "absolutely not" -- so NO it is. She knows that if I can, I'll spry paint IT black -- whatever IT happens to be. :-)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #652 of 750 Old 04-02-2014, 02:34 PM

Oh man, shot down on the rattle-can paint job! biggrin.gif

I'd recommend the set, if you can still find one. The stand is a weak point, but if you are careful setting it up, and don't let the weight shift onto one leg only, it should be fine. I do like that it swivels.

Oh, and I installed the 1122 update. Haven't really noticed anything. Wonder how long they'll keep releasing them? Surprised they still are, to be honest.
post #653 of 750 Old 04-03-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post

I would say probably the best TV in this price range. I'm not really happy with the stand but it works fine. I suggested to paint it black to my wife and she just told me "absolutely not" -- so NO it is. She knows that if I can, I'll spry paint IT black -- whatever IT happens to be. :-)

The WAF strikes again...

biggrin.gif

b
superleo likes this.

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com

YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

post #654 of 750 Old 04-03-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post

The WAF strikes again...

biggrin.gif

b

Absolutely Bob, I know when to say "yes dear" -- EVERY TIME ;-)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

post #655 of 750 Old 04-03-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Now that's the absolute definition of a successful family man!

tongue.gif

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com

YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

post #656 of 750 Old 04-04-2014, 11:38 AM

The stand isn't the prettiest thing but it seems quite sturdy. I don't have any cats though so I don't know how it'll stand up to that. I don't think it'll be easy for them to knock over or anything like that. Also, the stand that came with mine is black, so no spray painting necessary biggrin.gif

I think the "rippling" issue I have is DSE or "dirty screen effect". Either the panel is faulty or they didn't apply the screen coating evenly? It's weird that it only shows on light moving scenes though... Any other scene the picture is perfect and looks amazing... The UN60F6400 just went on sale near me so I may return it for that. I think I'll miss the PQ of this plasma for night-time movie watching (frown.gif), but I think F6400 may be more suitable for my purposes (family room, so reflections and screen brightness are an issue during the day).
post #657 of 750 Old 04-05-2014, 01:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
It sounds like a Lemon.I would either return it,or ask them too fix it or if your handy with electronics it's usually remedied by raising the vs voltage, but requires removing back of tv..My tv took a year of heavy usage too make this problem really noticable.The pink coloring if it's bad enough ruins the colors.The problem will get worse.I've tried everything but the vs voltage adjustment.
post #658 of 750 Old 04-05-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdip View Post

The stand isn't the prettiest thing but it seems quite sturdy. I don't have any cats though so I don't know how it'll stand up to that. I don't think it'll be easy for them to knock over or anything like that. Also, the stand that came with mine is black, so no spray painting necessary biggrin.gif

I think the "rippling" issue I have is DSE or "dirty screen effect". Either the panel is faulty or they didn't apply the screen coating evenly? It's weird that it only shows on light moving scenes though... Any other scene the picture is perfect and looks amazing... The UN60F6400 just went on sale near me so I may return it for that. I think I'll miss the PQ of this plasma for night-time movie watching (frown.gif), but I think F6400 may be more suitable for my purposes (family room, so reflections and screen brightness are an issue during the day).

For the rippling on bright white scenes could it be ABL (Automatic Brightness Limiter)? On my PN51F5500 any bright scene it will dim in and out at times depending on the contrast level. If contrast is 85 or lower it's hardly noticeable or doesn't even appear but anything above 85 it's always there on white scenes. Is this normal for plasmas?
post #659 of 750 Old 04-05-2014, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Uniformity is an issue on full or mostly white screens on plasmas.If its distracting just keep taking them back until you get one that doesn't have this problem.Just don't expect it to be perfectly uniform for bright lighter colored screens.
post #660 of 750 Old 04-06-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic12345 View Post

Uniformity is an issue on full or mostly white screens on plasmas.If its distracting just keep taking them back until you get one that doesn't have this problem.Just don't expect it to be perfectly uniform for bright lighter colored screens.

Where are you getting that statistic from? I've owned two, and people I know own plasmas, solid colours on all are solid and thick. I have never seen any wavering or uniformity issues.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn60f5500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Un46f6300 46 Inch Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f6400 46 Inch 3d Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55f6800 55 Class 1080p Smart Tv 3d Slim Led Hdtv With 3d Glasses , Samsung Pn60e8000 60 Inch Ultra Slim Plasma 3d Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page