AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf2009 View Post
Thanks very much for your reply.

Quick question. The retailer is offering extended coverage, beyond the first year. The first year is with Samsung, the others with the retailer. Do you think it's worth the extra expense?

In terms of wallmounting brackets, is there a brand you recommend? Something that articulates isn't really necessary, but if you have any suggestions. Our wall would need to support the bracket + the panel, so I'm guessing the mount has to be fairly robust.

Thanks!

I haven't had any issues with the 5500 (fingers crossed), but I had the notorious pink banding issue with my c7000. We got an extended warranty and very glad we did so since the panel was replaced twice before they finally gave us the 5500. Out of warranty, the panel is about $1k for a replacement so a few hundred dollars for the warranty was worth it.

As far as mounts go, I did a live online chat with monoprice. Gave them the model # of my tv and they recommended a mount. Worked out great!

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 787 Old 03-09-2015, 04:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice.

Thinking about picking this up today, but had a few more questions:

1.Other than size, purely from a PQ perspective, how does this set differ from the PN42C450 or B450?

2. I've read a lot about this pentile display matrix. Is this actually a big deal and does it impact image quality? It's not clear if this is actually an issue or not.

3. What is the latest firmware for the panel? According to Samsung Canada it is: VERSION : 2206.3 / 2015.02.04

4. For gaming, how does this set perform?

I think the concern is while it may be bigger, we may be losing something.

Thanks in advance.
DW
post #783 of 787 Old 03-09-2015, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf2009 View Post
Thanks for the advice.

Thinking about picking this up today, but had a few more questions:

1.Other than size, purely from a PQ perspective, how does this set differ from the PN42C450 or B450?

2. I've read a lot about this pentile display matrix. Is this actually a big deal and does it impact image quality? It's not clear if this is actually an issue or not.

3. What is the latest firmware for the panel? According to Samsung Canada it is: VERSION : 2206.3 / 2015.02.04

4. For gaming, how does this set perform?

I think the concern is while it may be bigger, we may be losing something.

Thanks in advance.
DW

1. I had a c550 briefly and the c7000 I traded it for was much better. The 5500 is as good if not better than the c7000 IMO

2. I don't notice it unless I'm within a couple of feet of it, great pic from normal viewing distance.

3. Don't know

4. Works great with my PS3

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
post #784 of 787 Old 03-10-2015, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Many thanks.

Picked up the set. Took a bit of setting up. Used SuperLeo's settings, but lowered Contrast to 70 and Cell Light to 12 to start.

Very impressed. Don't notice the pentile issue, but there is a slight buzz from the set, but with the volume up, it's hardly noticeable. The stand is annoying and a silly design, compared to previous Samsung panels. Thought there would be enough depth on the shelf (at 15"), but the legs in the rear stick out ever so slightly, resting only on the shelf's support structure. Will get a board that is longer than the shelf and sit the the TV on that.

Had to disable most SMART features, but there is one I can't figure out. Periodically, a notification pops up that some Samsung feature is ending. Very annoying.

Is there any way to disable notifications entirely?

Thanks!
post #785 of 787 Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidfreekCD View Post
I picked up this TV at the end of August last year, its been great so far, I have this placed in my basement family room so glare really isnt an issue for me. But I've noticed that the set has some issues turning off or on sometimes. Has anyone else had this problem? I didnt want to come through 25 pages of stuff, but sometimes when I turn it on it just sits black for quite some time, pushing the power button again just makes the red dot on the TV flicker a bunch and eventually it will turn on after that, takes a bit sometimes 3-5 minutes but it doesnt happen all the time. Sometimes it does the same thing when shutting off as well. No idea what the problem is there but wanted to see if anyone else has seen this before.
Were you able to fix this issue? This happened to my set the first year I have my TV and warranty covered the repair. After another year, it happened again and of course, it is now out of warranty. Hoping to be able to fix the TV with minimal/no cost. Please help.
post #786 of 787 Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykesy@msn.com View Post
Quote:
I picked up this TV at the end of August last year, its been great so far, I have this placed in my basement family room so glare really isnt an issue for me. But I've noticed that the set has some issues turning off or on sometimes. Has anyone else had this problem? I didnt want to come through 25 pages of stuff, but sometimes when I turn it on it just sits black for quite some time, pushing the power button again just makes the red dot on the TV flicker a bunch and eventually it will turn on after that, takes a bit sometimes 3-5 minutes but it doesnt happen all the time. Sometimes it does the same thing when shutting off as well. No idea what the problem is there but wanted to see if anyone else has seen this before.
Were you able to fix this issue? This happened to my set the first year I have my TV and warranty covered the repair. After another year, it happened again and of course, it is now out of warranty. Hoping to be able to fix the TV with minimal/no cost. Please help.
For a while now since I posted it's stopped doing that, there has been a couple of firmware updates I believe and it hasn't happened in quite some time, so let's hope it's been fixed :blush:
post #787 of 787 Unread Today, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
For a while now since I posted it's stopped doing that, there has been a couple of firmware updates I believe and it hasn't happened in quite some time, so let's hope it's been fixed :blush:
Glad it worked out for you. Unfortunately for me, the screen stopped working altogether so it is impossible to get the firmware updated. I sent it to the shop but it has been a week and Samsung is still scratching their heads on this one. Wish me luck that they can still get it fixed and can still get a couple of years out of it.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn60f5500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Un46f6300 46 Inch Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f6400 46 Inch 3d Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55f6800 55 Class 1080p Smart Tv 3d Slim Led Hdtv With 3d Glasses , Samsung Pn60e8000 60 Inch Ultra Slim Plasma 3d Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60e8000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page