Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 747 Old 06-22-2013, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuy01 View Post

Can anyone tell me how this set might compare to the ST50? Both are sitting at the same price right now. I'm also curious about the F5500's input lag.

they are around the same. 37-38ms on the F5500 and 40ms on the ST50 if you go based on displaylag.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 747 Old 06-22-2013, 04:45 PM

So I've spent the entire day just catching up on television shows on Netflix. Compared to my LCD Vizio, this plasma is top notch. I'm no videophile, but watching once upon a time on here is crisp & clear using Movie mode picture. Colors look spot on, not washed out. No light bleed around the edges. What more could I have asked for.

The remote does get some getting use to, but it's fricken awesome. I love being able to just swipe and draw numbers to get to channels. It's a bit on the hard side with DirecTV and memorizing all their 3 digit channels, but the TV has a channel history you can use. Great feature imo.

My only gripe right now is the audio. The speakers are on the bottom of this plasma, and I feel it bounces backward to the wall rather then forward out to me. I'm turning up the audio to like 30 on Netflix just to hear things. I've tried all settings, but voice seems to work best. I may look into getting a soundbar.

If anyone has any questions let me know. I've yet to calibrate using my Disney WOW disc. Will once I figure out what I want to do for blu-ray capability.
post #183 of 747 Old 06-22-2013, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 36
How is the overall integration of the remote with DirecTV? I saw you mentioned having to memorize channel numbers, is there no way to bring the guide up with the remote? Mine should be here Friday and I'd love to be able to ditch the DirecTV remote and just use this as a universal one.
post #184 of 747 Old 06-22-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo88 View Post

How is the overall integration of the remote with DirecTV? I saw you mentioned having to memorize channel numbers, is there no way to bring the guide up with the remote? Mine should be here Friday and I'd love to be able to ditch the DirecTV remote and just use this as a universal one.

During the setup process, the setup guide will ask which cable or satellite provider you use based on zip code. It gets the guide from DirecTV pretty well. The smart remote has a Guide button on it and you can use the one provided by Samsung.

The downside to this is the guide doesn't remember what TV channel you are on. You'll always get stuck on 1, and will have to scroll through the list. That is why I mentioned memorizing channels.

If you press the Channel guide on the DirecTV remote, it will know what channel you are on.

I haven't Googled if anyone has found a fix for this yet.

Update: There is this http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/10/samsung-smart-tv-directv-without-stb/ .. and I do see a STB button on this remote. Maybe I am just doing this wrong. I'll do more research.
waylo88 likes this.
post #185 of 747 Old 06-22-2013, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasyn View Post

they are around the same. 37-38ms on the F5500 and 40ms on the ST50 if you go based on displaylag.com

That's good to know. Would I be correct in assuming the ST50 series has better black levels than the F5500? That's one possible favor toward the ST50, but if both outperform the top-of-the-line LEDs then I may lean toward the F5500 for its supposedly better resistance against image retention. I've never owned a plasma before nor have done too much research into them, but image retention does scare me a little. What research I have done always suggested Samsung's models are more resistant, however.
post #186 of 747 Old 06-22-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:

That's good to know. Would I be correct in assuming the ST50 series has better black levels than the F5500? That's one possible favor toward the ST50, but if both outperform the top-of-the-line LEDs then I may lean toward the F5500 for its supposedly better resistance against image retention. I've never owned a plasma before nor have done too much research into them, but image retention does scare me a little. What research I have done always suggested Samsung's models are more resistant, however.

I wouldn't worry to much about image retention. The technology is improving. Here's some quick photos. They'll show you picture quality, and also how reflective the screen is.

post #187 of 747 Old 06-22-2013, 05:48 PM

Does the reflective screen bother you much? My HP monitor is similarly reflective but usually I just turn off the lights if I want to seriously watch something.
post #188 of 747 Old 06-22-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:

During the setup process, the setup guide will ask which cable or satellite provider you use based on zip code. It gets the guide from DirecTV pretty well. The smart remote has a Guide button on it and you can use the one provided by Samsung.

The downside to this is the guide doesn't remember what TV channel you are on. You'll always get stuck on 1, and will have to scroll through the list. That is why I mentioned memorizing channels.

If you press the Channel guide on the DirecTV remote, it will know what channel you are on.

I haven't Googled if anyone has found a fix for this yet.

Update: There is this http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/10/samsung-smart-tv-directv-without-stb/ .. and I do see a STB button on this remote. Maybe I am just doing this wrong. I'll do more research.

The STB button just allows you to power on and off your DirecTV Receiver. I'm not 100% sure how these TV's run without them. Perhaps it isn't in this model. I assume you need to place the card somewhere.

I think the article is talking about the DirecTV Genie unit.
post #189 of 747 Old 06-22-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:

Does the reflective screen bother you much? My HP monitor is similarly reflective but usually I just turn off the lights if I want to seriously watch something.

It doesn't bug me one bit. Even with my LCD I would get reflection. Maybe I'm use to it, or maybe people are just picky smile.gif

Great purchase and I couldn't be happier.
post #190 of 747 Old 06-22-2013, 06:27 PM

Thanks for the info. The guide button on the Samsung remote defaulting to channel one doesn't bother me as I just run my favorites list anyways with all the HD channels we're subscribed to. As for the thing about the TV's not requiring a STB, you're right in that it's only currently available on the Genie receiver. Unfortunately, we just have the standard whole-home DVR.
post #191 of 747 Old 06-22-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo88 View Post

Thanks for the info. The guide button on the Samsung remote defaulting to channel one doesn't bother me as I just run my favorites list anyways with all the HD channels we're subscribed to. As for the thing about the TV's not requiring a STB, you're right in that it's only currently available on the Genie receiver. Unfortunately, we just have the standard whole-home DVR.

No problem. There definitely wasn't much info on this unit other then the 60 which everyone hates because it's pentile, so I'm glad to pass as much information I can.
post #192 of 747 Old 06-23-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Is the pic quality upgraded much on the F5500 compared to the previous E550? I was thinking it may be better since they eliminated the 6500 and 7000 series. Also does the HDMI input have Audio Return Channel?
post #193 of 747 Old 06-23-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Is the pic quality upgraded much on the F5500 compared to the previous E550? I was thinking it may be better since they eliminated the 6500 and 7000 series. Also does the HDMI input have Audio Return Channel?

I don't know about picture quality, but there is ARC on port HDMI 2. HDMI 1 is labeled STB (Set Top Box) and HDMI 3 is labeled DVI. Not really sure it matters. I would assume they are all HDMI 1.4
post #194 of 747 Old 06-23-2013, 11:24 AM

Liked: 13
What is the use of HDMI Audio Return Channel?
post #195 of 747 Old 06-23-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedchill View Post

What is the use of HDMI Audio Return Channel?

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx
post #196 of 747 Old 06-23-2013, 11:48 AM

I've never owned a plasma before, but it's common wisdom that they're better with motion than LCD/LED displays. There's one thing I like about the latter, though, and that's motion interpolation with video games. In movies the interpolation effect is, shall we say, divisive. But in games it makes everything so incredibly smooth. When I pan the camera there's absolutely no blur and objects remain completely in focus. I love that.

But the LEDs that I have tried and own have too much input lag in the modes that support those settings. The ones that are better performs are now out of my price range (Sony W900A) or have a few issues (Sony W802A, can't get the full 1080 lines in moving resolution without engaging their horrible Impulse mode). How do plasmas, or more specifically the F5500, compare in motion to an LED using motion interpolation? Are they just as clear for games - objects stay stay in absolute focus even with fast camera movements - without having to engage extra processing and for films the dreaded soap opera effect?
post #197 of 747 Old 06-23-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:

I've never owned a plasma before, but it's common wisdom that they're better with motion than LCD/LED displays. There's one thing I like about the latter, though, and that's motion interpolation with video games. In movies the interpolation effect is, shall we say, divisive. But in games it makes everything so incredibly smooth. When I pan the camera there's absolutely no blur and objects remain completely in focus. I love that.

But the LEDs that I have tried and own have too much input lag in the modes that support those settings. The ones that are better performs are now out of my price range (Sony W900A) or have a few issues (Sony W802A, can't get the full 1080 lines in moving resolution without engaging their horrible Impulse mode). How do plasmas, or more specifically the F5500, compare in motion to an LED using motion interpolation? Are they just as clear for games - objects stay stay in absolute focus even with fast camera movements - without having to engage extra processing and for films the dreaded soap opera effect?

If display lag was any indicator, this plasma should do just fine based off of the numbers on www.displaylag.com. I'll look to getting a HDMI cable and play some FPS from my computer on the screen and see how it goes. I'll be waiting on the PS4 until I can get some actual console gaming.

There is a Game Mode setting deep within the menu settings. It's under Menu >> System >> General (why it's there and not under Picture, I have no idea). It's off by default, but it does say if on, that it will "accelerate speed of video games running from game console connected to TV. There may be a slight degradation in graphic quality."

The W802a was a contender for me as well, but with all the issues everyone was having in that thread, I couldn't commit. Granted, I feel that forums are usually for people with issues, and rarely represent people who love their product with zero issues. rolleyes.gif
post #198 of 747 Old 06-23-2013, 01:00 PM

I wasn't asking about input lag, jasyn. I do know the F5500 performs fairly well in that regard. I'm just curious how LED motion interpolation compares to plasma clarity. The de-judder (interpolation) setting on my Samsung LED does more to reduce blur than the actual blur setting, likely because of the extra frames it introduces. Nothing is out of focus with that setting enabled. It looks awkward in movies but for games it's a fantastic feature. I'm hoping plasmas, due to their technology, exhibit the same clarity by default without needing extra processing.

I would actually go to a store to see for myself but I'm in the middle of nowhere. I rely on you find gentlemen and ladies for assistance!
post #199 of 747 Old 06-23-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:

I wasn't asking about input lag, jasyn. I do know the F5500 performs fairly well in that regard. I'm just curious how LED motion interpolation compares to plasma clarity. The de-judder (interpolation) setting on my Samsung LED does more to reduce blur than the actual blur setting, likely because of the extra frames it introduces. Nothing is out of focus with that setting enabled. It looks awkward in movies but for games it's a fantastic feature. I'm hoping plasmas, due to their technology, exhibit the same clarity by default without needing extra processing.

I would actually go to a store to see for myself but I'm in the middle of nowhere. I rely on you find gentlemen and ladies for assistance!

I see what you are talking about. I'm no videophile or have the means of comparing, but watching movies (DVD, Blu-Ray, Netflix) hasn't made question why the picture looks so weird, or that things are out of frame. Maybe my eyes are that sensitive. LOL wink.gif

But if we talk about specs, and plasmas can display 900-1080 lines naturally, while 120Hz/240Hz LED's can only do 600-800 lines (I think with interpolation -- and of course I'm sure technology now a days have improved on this), I don't think it'll be an issue?
post #200 of 747 Old 06-23-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:

If display lag was any indicator, this plasma should do just fine based off of the numbers on www.displaylag.com. I'll look to getting a HDMI cable and play some FPS from my computer on the screen and see how it goes. I'll be waiting on the PS4 until I can get some actual console gaming.

There is a Game Mode setting deep within the menu settings. It's under Menu >> System >> General (why it's there and not under Picture, I have no idea). It's off by default, but it does say if on, that it will "accelerate speed of video games running from game console connected to TV. There may be a slight degradation in graphic quality."

The W802a was a contender for me as well, but with all the issues everyone was having in that thread, I couldn't commit. Granted, I feel that forums are usually for people with issues, and rarely represent people who love their product with zero issues. rolleyes.gif

I wonder how it will know if its a gaming console or not...
post #201 of 747 Old 06-23-2013, 05:21 PM

It probably cant tell, it just applies it to whatever is playing if you have it enabled.
post #202 of 747 Old 06-23-2013, 07:05 PM

Just figured it out! Activate game mode then press source and move on the input u want the game mode ON then go on top right in tools and you can pick the kind of input you want it to be smile.gif
post #203 of 747 Old 06-23-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedchill View Post

Just figured it out! Activate game mode then press source and move on the input u want the game mode ON then go on top right in tools and you can pick the kind of input you want it to be smile.gif

Report back the differences.
post #204 of 747 Old 06-23-2013, 08:17 PM

Well when i tryed it i was playing forza 4 on xbox 360 and right away noticed the picture was faster so i'd do the same trick with a pc connected.
post #205 of 747 Old 06-23-2013, 09:31 PM

I just tested Game Mode while watching regular SD television and I did notice a boost of improvement. It isn't HD quality, but the frames looked less blurry. Unfortunately even with this functionality, I got a slight headache staring at the screen. I always wondered why when I played FPS games like COD on my friends LED that I would get a headache. Now I think I know eek.gifmotion interpolation
post #206 of 747 Old 06-24-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I just came across these calibrated settings for this model. I do not own one of them, but I know that you owners have been starved for some settings to try, so give them a try and post your feedback on the results.

http://reviews.*******************.com/samsung-plasma-tv/samsung-f5500-picture-settings.html

Picture Mode: Movie
10p White Balance = ON
Interval Red Green Blue
1 -1 1 -2
2 -4 -1 -2
3 -2 -2 -4
4 -4 0 -3
5 -3 -1 -1
6 -5 -1 1
7 -5 1 3
8 -2 1 2
9 -5 1 7
10 -3 -1 -3
Cell Light 16
Contrast 100
Brightness 49
Sharpness 10
Color 51
Tint G51/R49
Color Tone Warm1
Digital Noise Filter OFF
MPEG Noise Filter OFF
HDMI Black Level Normal
Film Mode OFF
Black Tone OFF
Dynamic Contrast OFF
GAMMA -1
Expert Pattern OFF
RGB Only Mode OFF
Color Space Auto
Flesh Tone 0
Edge Enhancement OFF
Motion Lighting OFF
Energy Saving OFF
ECO Sensor OFF
Auto Power OFF OFF
jasyn and sixtoo like this.
post #207 of 747 Old 06-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
H everyone,

I'm considering this TV and had a question: does it have a 96Hz mode for watching 24p movie content from bluray? I downloaded the operating manual and while I couldn't find "96Hz" mentioned, it did say there was a "cinema smooth" mode for watching 1080p/24 content. Is that a marketing name for 96Hz? Or something else?

I'l be glad when cnet finally reviews this tv.

Thanks.

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control
post #208 of 747 Old 06-24-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke View Post

H everyone,

I'm considering this TV and had a question: does it have a 96Hz mode for watching 24p movie content from bluray? I downloaded the operating manual and while I couldn't find "96Hz" mentioned, it did say there was a "cinema smooth" mode for watching 1080p/24 content. Is that a marketing name for 96Hz? Or something else?

I'l be glad when cnet finally reviews this tv.

Thanks.

Cinema Smooth™:
Cinema smooth adjusts the frame rate of the panel for
displaying 24fps source movies on Blu-ray Disc®, dedicated
24p cable and satellite channels at this native frame rate. The
resulting video characteristic is a smoother and more natural
film like experience.
post #209 of 747 Old 06-24-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

I just came across these calibrated settings for this model. I do not own one of them, but I know that you owners have been starved for some settings to try, so give them a try and post your feedback on the results.

http://reviews.*******************.com/samsung-plasma-tv/samsung-f5500-picture-settings.html

Picture Mode: Movie
10p White Balance = ON
Interval Red Green Blue
1 -1 1 -2
2 -4 -1 -2
3 -2 -2 -4
4 -4 0 -3
5 -3 -1 -1
6 -5 -1 1
7 -5 1 3
8 -2 1 2
9 -5 1 7
10 -3 -1 -3
Cell Light 16
Contrast 100
Brightness 49
Sharpness 10
Color 51
Tint G51/R49
Color Tone Warm1
Digital Noise Filter OFF
MPEG Noise Filter OFF
HDMI Black Level Normal
Film Mode OFF
Black Tone OFF
Dynamic Contrast OFF
GAMMA -1
Expert Pattern OFF
RGB Only Mode OFF
Color Space Auto
Flesh Tone 0
Edge Enhancement OFF
Motion Lighting OFF
Energy Saving OFF
ECO Sensor OFF
Auto Power OFF OFF

LOL I've been to that website at least 10+ times and never noticed that link =X I'll give it a try when I get home and report what I think.
post #210 of 747 Old 06-24-2013, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Cinema Smooth™:
Cinema smooth adjusts the frame rate of the panel for
displaying 24fps source ...

Thanks jasyn. Unfortunately they don't say what it adjusts the frame rate of the panel to: 48Hz? 96Hz?

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn60f5500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Un46f6300 46 Inch Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f6400 46 Inch 3d Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55f6800 55 Class 1080p Smart Tv 3d Slim Led Hdtv With 3d Glasses , Samsung Pn60e8000 60 Inch Ultra Slim Plasma 3d Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page