Which plasma to get? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 05-05-2013, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
gbdavidx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi All,

I am a little new to buying tv's, I want to get a Plasma, I am aware of burn in's, but I dont want to spend more then $1000

If you could buy one right now, what would it be?
gbdavidx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 Old 05-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Omni009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
What size are you looking at?

Omni009 is offline  
post #3 of 33 Old 05-05-2013, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
gbdavidx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
oops, ideally 50"

I also don't care about sound, just quality - i'll be eventually buying a 5.1 sound system

I would spend more for something a lil bit smaller like 46"'s that is better in picture and quality

also I dont really care about smarttv function - i'll probably be hooking up my own HDTV and i dont care about 3d either
gbdavidx is offline  
post #4 of 33 Old 05-05-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,743
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 347
I think the S60/S64 or possibly an 50" ST60 may fit your budget and will probably be the best bang for the buck this year.
Ph8te is online now  
post #5 of 33 Old 05-05-2013, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
gbdavidx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
gbdavidx is offline  
post #6 of 33 Old 05-05-2013, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
gbdavidx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

I think the S60/S64 or possibly an 50" ST60 may fit your budget and will probably be the best bang for the buck this year.
thats exactly what i was thinking
gbdavidx is offline  
post #7 of 33 Old 05-05-2013, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
gbdavidx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

I think the S60/S64 or possibly an 50" ST60 may fit your budget and will probably be the best bang for the buck this year.

is the one i replied back to the one your talking about? I dont understand what you mean by s64
gbdavidx is offline  
post #8 of 33 Old 05-05-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,743
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbdavidx View Post

thats exactly what i was thinking

Take a look at the owners thread. The Panasonics this year are perforaming very well and people seem to be quite happy with them.
Ph8te is online now  
post #9 of 33 Old 05-05-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
gbdavidx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks,

also i read on here from someone that works at Best buy, that their protection plans covers burn in, does anyone know if this is true?
gbdavidx is offline  
post #10 of 33 Old 05-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
MechanicalMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Missouri
Posts: 981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I think you should get the ST60... with no protection plan. tongue.gif
MechanicalMan is offline  
post #11 of 33 Old 05-05-2013, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
gbdavidx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
gbdavidx is offline  
post #12 of 33 Old 05-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
MechanicalMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Missouri
Posts: 981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Extended warranties are a ripoff. If you can, make the purchase using a credit card that extends warranties by one year. If the TV goes two years without a problem, then odds are that it will lasts many more without a problem. You're not going to have permanent burn-in, so don't worry about it.
MechanicalMan is offline  
post #13 of 33 Old 05-05-2013, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
gbdavidx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
True i have an amex that will do that, but what does it cover? the manufacturer warranty + 1 year?

I think 2 years is a good amount, hopefully it will last 3 and by then we can afford OLED tv's
gbdavidx is offline  
post #14 of 33 Old 05-05-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,743
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan View Post

Extended warranties are a ripoff. If you can, make the purchase using a credit card that extends warranties by one year. If the TV goes two years without a problem, then odds are that it will lasts many more without a problem. You're not going to have permanent burn-in, so don't worry about it.


I wouldnt say that to anyone unless you can show concrete proof of this. While greatly reduced, I am sure someone could create burn-in if they wanted to or were careless. Long term\hard to remove IR is probably a better term for it, but in any case I would not say Burin-in is not going to happen. If it does are you willing to buy the people replacement TVs that listen to your advice?

As far as extended warranties go, much like insureance its in case ish happens. Some people will neer use them, but those who do ahve them and put them to use are glad they had them. If you usually upgrade your TV every few years then it may be less important to you, but if you keep your TV for longer periods of time before upgrading it may be worth the extra cost for peace of mind.

ST coverage does not cover burn in BTW....but is one of the better warranties out there and you can get one for ~105 from costco if you are not a member and 99$ if you are.
Ph8te is online now  
post #15 of 33 Old 05-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
MechanicalMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Missouri
Posts: 981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

I wouldnt say that to anyone unless you can show concrete proof of this. While greatly reduced, I am sure someone could create burn-in if they wanted to or were careless.

Oh, I'm sorry. I guess I should have said that he won't have permanent burn-in unless he intentionally tries to create it or somehow accidentally leaves a static image displayed on his screen while he goes on vacation for three weeks. I'm glad you cleared that up. rolleyes.gif
MechanicalMan is offline  
post #16 of 33 Old 05-05-2013, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
gbdavidx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the replys, what does the costco warranty cover? I think the only one that i've read the covers burn in's was best buy
gbdavidx is offline  
post #17 of 33 Old 05-05-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,743
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan View Post

Oh, I'm sorry. I guess I should have said that he won't have permanent burn-in unless he intentionally tries to create it or somehow accidentally leaves a static image displayed on his screen while he goes on vacation for three weeks. I'm glad you cleared that up. rolleyes.gif

You never know how someone will take advice, by saying youll "never" get burn in, who knows what they will do with the set. You would hope that they dont leave static images up for hours on end or intentially tries to create burn in, but I dont put anything past anyone these days. This is why I added the caveat of Long-Term\hard to remove IR to my post (which you removed formt eh quote) as this would be the most likely scenario if something were to occur.
Ph8te is online now  
post #18 of 33 Old 05-05-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,743
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbdavidx View Post

Thanks for the replys, what does the costco warranty cover? I think the only one that i've read the covers burn in's was best buy

YOud have to check out the PDF on thier site it has a list of things covered its a "normal" SquareTrade warranty. Costco has a good return policy if you are a member however (from what I ahve heard at least). I would be overly worried about Burn-in though. As long as you dont "abuse" the set the worst thing you may see is hard to remove IR, I dont talk in absolutes when it comes to things like this, as anomolies occur all of the time. Focusing on Burn-in is not something I would do though as it most likely will be a non issue for you.
Ph8te is online now  
post #19 of 33 Old 05-05-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,716
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan View Post

Oh, I'm sorry. I guess I should have said that he won't have permanent burn-in unless he intentionally tries to create it or somehow accidentally leaves a static image displayed on his screen while he goes on vacation for three weeks. I'm glad you cleared that up. rolleyes.gif
IR that lasts for weeks or even months is just as bad as burn in. Sure, it might not be technically burnt in but who wants an image stuck on there screen for months. If that was the case I would have the BB warranty swap it out. What are they going to tell you, run a pixel flipper for 6 months before we come back again.

Until there is a way to prove what is actually burnt in, an image that is there for a long time is just as good as burn in. It is not like it tells you how long it will be there for. One never knows when and if it will actually go away.
eric3316 is offline  
post #20 of 33 Old 05-05-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,613
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

I wouldnt say that to anyone unless you can show concrete proof of this. While greatly reduced, I am sure someone could create burn-in if they wanted to or were careless. Long term\hard to remove IR is probably a better term for it, but in any case I would not say Burin-in is not going to happen. If it does are you willing to buy the people replacement TVs that listen to your advice?

As far as extended warranties go, much like insureance its in case ish happens. Some people will neer use them, but those who do ahve them and put them to use are glad they had them. If you usually upgrade your TV every few years then it may be less important to you, but if you keep your TV for longer periods of time before upgrading it may be worth the extra cost for peace of mind.

ST coverage does not cover burn in BTW....but is one of the better warranties out there and you can get one for ~105 from costco if you are not a member and 99$ if you are.

the way I see it, is selling extended warranties is a business, and the more you buy, the more likely they will profit from you, period. it's almost like gambling, the odds will always favour 'the house' so the more you play the more you lose. in the long run you will spend more money than you save. if you can deal with those sudden large expenses, then avoid the many smaller expenses. or heck, if you want, open another bank account and dump the cost of extended warranty into it(maybe even try to get a high interest savings account, or GIC?) and chances are by the time you need warranty on the first product you bought that fails, you'll have paid for 3 or 4, or 10 extended warranties and have more than enough sitting in the bank account to cover replacement.

i'm not saying ppl are dumb for getting extended warranties. but I do think it's wrong to suggest that they are a good idea for everybody, and it's better to 'play it safe'. if you think there's a legitimate chance you'll need the warranty, then buy the warranty. I might be tainted from personal experience, but I don't feel any more 'covered' when I have an extended warranty. seems there's always some loophole. I have never personally had a successful claim using an extended warranty. most of the time the product doesn't need one, one time the company went bankrupt before the warranty expired, the other had fine print that basically said they didn't cover anything that breaks do to 'use', like some defective part was going to fail after the manufactures warranty. imo, if it ain't broke after a year, it's not defective and will last as long as you take care of. unless you're getting like a 10+year warranty, the electronics should wear out that quickly.

to the original question. st60 looks like the bargain of the year again. s60/s64 are pretty darn close though, and depending on budget and needs might be the way to go.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #21 of 33 Old 05-05-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,743
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

the way I see it, is selling extended warranties is a business, and the more you buy, the more likely they will profit from you, period. it's almost like gambling, the odds will always favour 'the house' so the more you play the more you lose. in the long run you will spend more money than you save. if you can deal with those sudden large expenses, then avoid the many smaller expenses. or heck, if you want, open another bank account and dump the cost of extended warranty into it(maybe even try to get a high interest savings account, or GIC?) and chances are by the time you need warranty on the first product you bought that fails, you'll have paid for 3 or 4, or 10 extended warranties and have more than enough sitting in the bank account to cover replacement.

i'm not saying ppl are dumb for getting extended warranties. but I do think it's wrong to suggest that they are a good idea for everybody, and it's better to 'play it safe'. if you think there's a legitimate chance you'll need the warranty, then buy the warranty. I might be tainted from personal experience, but I don't feel any more 'covered' when I have an extended warranty. seems there's always some loophole. I have never personally had a successful claim using an extended warranty. most of the time the product doesn't need one, one time the company went bankrupt before the warranty expired, the other had fine print that basically said they didn't cover anything that breaks do to 'use', like some defective part was going to fail after the manufactures warranty. imo, if it ain't broke after a year, it's not defective and will last as long as you take care of. unless you're getting like a 10+year warranty, the electronics should wear out that quickly.

to the original question. st60 looks like the bargain of the year again. s60/s64 are pretty darn close though, and depending on budget and needs might be the way to go.

Never said it was a good idea for everyone, I said it may be a good idea to serve as peace of mind for some people. If you think the $99-105 the extended warranty costs via Square Trade is enough to fix anything that may come after the manufacturers warrranty expires, more power to you, that would probably be the labor, forget about parts. Even with a high interrest savings acocunt (and pretty much good luck with getting one of those with only 100$) may be on ok idea, it would probably be severly lacking and you would probably be short and need extra funds if a repair was needed.

As always though it pays to read the fine print to see what it covers and what it doesn't. It also pays to do research into how hard it is for people to put a claim on the extended warranty. I can udnerstand when people ahve been burned int he past it makes them more hesitant to do the same thing in the future.

As I said, its not for everyone and one doesnt "need" to do it, if you do there is nothing wrong with it as long you are comfortable with what you are doing....The odds are in favor of nothing ever happening that will require you to use that the EW, sometimes though people jsut feel better knowing if somethign odes happen, they wont have to drop a large amount of money to get the set replaced.....


Ive had electronice that ahve needed the extended warranty I got and those that never failed and the warranty was never used, on the items I did have it on (laptop for instance) I am glad I had it as the replacement parts cost more than the extended warranty did.

I dont care either way really, I know hte EWs are frowned upon here, but I thought I would give the flip side that some people do feel safer having them and there is nothing wrong with that.
Ph8te is online now  
post #22 of 33 Old 05-05-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,613
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Never said it was a good idea for everyone, I said it may be a good idea to serve as peace of mind for some people. If you think the $99-105 the extended warranty costs via Square Trade is enough to fix anything that may come after the manufacturers warrranty expires, more power to you, that would probably be the labor, forget about parts. Even with a high interrest savings acocunt (and pretty much good luck with getting one of those with only 100$) may be on ok idea, it would probably be severly lacking and you would probably be short and need extra funds if a repair was needed.

As always though it pays to read the fine print to see what it covers and what it doesn't. It also pays to do research into how hard it is for people to put a claim on the extended warranty. I can udnerstand when people ahve been burned int he past it makes them more hesitant to do the same thing in the future.

As I said, its not for everyone and one doesnt "need" to do it, if you do there is nothing wrong with it as long you are comfortable with what you are doing....The odds are in favor of nothing ever happening that will require you to use that the EW, sometimes though people jsut feel better knowing if somethign odes happen, they wont have to drop a large amount of money to get the set replaced.....


Ive had electronice that ahve needed the extended warranty I got and those that never failed and the warranty was never used, on the items I did have it on (laptop for instance) I am glad I had it as the replacement parts cost more than the extended warranty did.

I dont care either way really, I know hte EWs are frowned upon here, but I thought I would give the flip side that some people do feel safer having them and there is nothing wrong with that.

yeah, sorry. didn't mean to put words in your mouth. i'm very biased against all extended warranties and get a little worked up too easily tongue.gif

but just to clarify, I didn't mean to say the price of ONE extended warranty would cover everything. but that overall, the price of ALL extended warranties you buy would. obviously it sucks if the first thing you buy needs it. but if you play the odds, you're better off without them. if I bought extended warranties on everything, i'd probably have spent an extra 5grand by now at least. I MAYBE would have gotten one thing replaced during that extended period, and it definitely wouldn't have been more than 5grand. personally, I don't mind losing once or twice if I win the other 10 times. it might sting in the moment to have to bite that bullet, but it bothers me so much more 'wasting' money of stuff I never use. it's not for everybody, I just hope that ppl buying EW's aren't doing so to 'save money'.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #23 of 33 Old 05-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Senior Member
 
dctrombly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

yeah, sorry. didn't mean to put words in your mouth. i'm very biased against all extended warranties and get a little worked up too easily tongue.gif

but just to clarify, I didn't mean to say the price of ONE extended warranty would cover everything. but that overall, the price of ALL extended warranties you buy would. obviously it sucks if the first thing you buy needs it. but if you play the odds, you're better off without them. if I bought extended warranties on everything, i'd probably have spent an extra 5grand by now at least. I MAYBE would have gotten one thing replaced during that extended period, and it definitely wouldn't have been more than 5grand. personally, I don't mind losing once or twice if I win the other 10 times. it might sting in the moment to have to bite that bullet, but it bothers me so much more 'wasting' money of stuff I never use. it's not for everybody, I just hope that ppl buying EW's aren't doing so to 'save money'.

It's a gamble with subjective risk. You place your bets as strategically as you can. As far as TVs go these days, I think it's a safe bet in this category to assume something will go wrong in 5 years. Maybe I just don't have enough faith in tv tech and visit these forums too often, seeing everyone with their various issues.
dctrombly is offline  
post #24 of 33 Old 05-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Senior Member
 
rishi76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Btw,

How is the viewing area? If light can be controlled comfortably, esp any windows / lights that will be facing the tv directly, then this is a good choice. Even in that case I would recommend the S64 which is only available at Costco or Sams Club. The only difference between S60 and S64 is that the S64 has a filter that cuts down on light reflections significantly. The S60 without the filter can feel like a mirror and the reflections can get pretty distracting if not controlled. The only thing is that the 50" S64 is not available yet but should be released soon. The 65" has been released and is getting excellent feedback. The ST60 that is available from all retailers has some additional features that you may also look at - this has the filter, 3D as well as few other enhancements.
rishi76 is offline  
post #25 of 33 Old 05-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
Vic12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
CRT tvs in the past would last 5-15years.Not right if you bought a tv and it has a problem right after the one year warranty expires.
Vic12345 is offline  
post #26 of 33 Old 05-08-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,343
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic12345 View Post

CRT tvs in the past would last 5-15years.Not right if you bought a tv and it has a problem right after the one year warranty expires.

I know of CRTs that have lasted over 20 years. However, nothing electronic is built to last long anymore.

DavidHir is online now  
post #27 of 33 Old 05-08-2013, 07:17 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 471
My $1,200 top-of-the-line 1991 Sony XBR Trinitron 27" Tube TV blew a power board a few months after the factory warranty expired. Luckily i'd bought a $125 extended warranty and that covered the $255 repair cost. Then during year 3 another board failed and my EW covered that $250 repair. I profited so much on that warranty i can buy three more EWs and still be money ahead.

About 6 years ago i declined a $65 warranty on my $500 surround sound receiver and sure enough it blew during year 3 and was deemed unrepairable, so instead of getting a $500 refund i had to throw the $500 AVR in the trash. I will always regret not buying that warranty.

They are not a rip-off if you find yourself needing to use it. And if you end up not having to use it, then it was more of a bad gamble. I'd only consider it a "rip-off" if the TV failed and the warranty company refused to repair it, or forced you to take a lowball re-imbursement offer or a replacement TV of lesser quality.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #28 of 33 Old 05-09-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
adone36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Warranties are not "subjective", it is simple math.

1) TVs are much more reliable than in the past (a compiled statistical fact. I don't need to hear how your cousin Ted had a 2 day old TV break)
2) If you buy with a credit card, in most cases you get double the warranty.
3) Failure rates are in the low single digits. IF a TV fails, more than 80% of the failures occur during the factory warranty period.

If you take the money and bet it on black in a casino, you have MANY MANY time the chance of being ahead.

All of the above makes buying a warranty an extremely dumb proposition, which is what the dealers count on because that stupidity generates huge profits, frequently more than they make on the TV itself.

Tony
adone36 is offline  
post #29 of 33 Old 05-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Senior Member
 
degobah77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
It's not worth it until you need it, of course.

It's insurance. That's all. I've paid Geico $100 a month for the last 20 years of my life. Is that just throwing money away? Yep, but as soon as you don't, you're going to wish you did.

Boom
degobah77 is offline  
post #30 of 33 Old 05-11-2013, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
adone36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
With Geico $100/mo gets you your house, and everything you've ever earned or will earn. Like I said it's called math and simple people can't do math, otherwise nobody would spend a couple hundred dollars to protect a $1000 item that's worth $750 the day it "fails" assuming you are among the 5% failure rate.

Tony
adone36 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off