Panasonic 55ST50 has stopped responding to remote controls... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-05-2013, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Panasonic 55ST50 has stopped responding to remote signals from the Panasonic and the DirecTV remotes. I swapped batteries and powered on and off using the power button. The Panasonic remote's back lighting works. The DirectTV remote works with the DirecTV box, but not with the TV as it used to when turned to the TV setting.

Tell me it's something silly and/or simple?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-05-2013, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Anything blocking it reaching the TV sensor?

post #3 of 7 Old 05-06-2013, 06:57 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by ystasino View Post

My Panasonic 55ST50 has stopped responding to remote signals from the Panasonic and the DirecTV remotes. I swapped batteries and powered on and off using the power button. The Panasonic remote's back lighting works. The DirectTV remote works with the DirecTV box, but not with the TV as it used to when turned to the TV setting. Tell me it's something silly and/or simple? Thanks!

It's possible that the IR receiver module in the TV has become defective. It's rare, but it does happen sometimes. Time to call for warranty service,

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #4 of 7 Old 05-06-2013, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

It's possible that the IR receiver module in the TV has become defective. It's rare, but it does happen sometimes. Time to call for warranty service,

Hmm, both remotes worked now that I tried. Nothing was blocking the IR sensor. Very strange. eek.gif
post #5 of 7 Old 05-06-2013, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ystasino View Post

Hmm, both remotes worked now that I tried. Nothing was blocking the IR sensor. Very strange. eek.gif

This seems to be an intermittent issue. Neither of the two remotes are working right now.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-06-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Could be some dirt on the IR window of the TV. Well, probably not, but it's easy to fix, if so.

Greg Lee
post #7 of 7 Old 05-06-2013, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

I talked to customer support for 50 minutes today. The lady had a very odd accent and their procedure for getting techs out to see the TV seems very weird. She made me remove the batteries from the remote and asked me to press every remote button twice ?! She did not appear to know what the menus on the TV were like and appeared to be following instructions out of an archaic service menu process. She asked me to "reset the TV" by pressing the remote menu button and the volume down button, after spending 40 minutes explaining that the remote is not working. She said I should have a printout of the receipt and wouldn't accept the email with the pdf file.

It was the most frustrating/bizarre customer service call I have experienced in a while.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page