Which display wins the shootout? Let's have some fun. Make your predictions here. - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Well, if the ST60 was there calibrated to 40 fl if might have been very close, but then the lower quality filter might have knocked it down in points for Day viewing because of glare.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

You can easily see the difference between 0.0016fL and 0.0013fL? rolleyes.gif Well I'm not going to argue what you can see. For the rest of us that don't have enhanced vision, the difference is minimal at best.

Not to mention the 0.0016fL measurement is from smaller panels AFAIK and the 0.0013 was measured on the 65" VT60 so the gap might even be smaller for the larger ST60.

Maybe I am mistaken, but I thought I heard the black levels were the same on all sizes this year with the Panasonics.

post #1173 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I wonder if I'll see it on a ZT60, too. eek.gif

I think so, but you really have to stare at the panel for a while. mine didn't show up right away. i'm sure it had something to do with me not having the vt.wink.gif

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #1174 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Maybe I am mistaken, but I thought I heard the black levels were the same on all sizes this year with the Panasonics.
I don't know how close they are this year (I would assume they're about the same as last year), but they were essentially the same last year, too... usually within 0.0006fL, which is what I would consider essentially the same. We're talking about such small numbers here... the point I was trying to make was that 0.0016 vs 0.0013 is very hard to tell apart to begin with, not to mention the difference could simply be from panel size differences or panel variances. I never said that the VT60 and ST60 are literally the same, I said they're effectively the same. If you can easily tell the difference between 0.0016 and 0.0013, then the choice is clear. IMHO, strictly in terms of performance, the VT60 doesn't do enough to justify the price difference.
post #1175 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

yup, I see it to. it's pretty cool...but for some reason it's on my 8500..weird...

That's funny -- I turned on this old Sylvania tube tv and saw the same thing -- 'END ALL BE ALL HDTV KING'
post #1176 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

that explains everything wink.gif

hahaha I was going to say "now it all makes sense"... 1st time I've heard Napoleon Dynamite quoted as reference material..
You have to admit he is entertaining.. kinda cool.gif
post #1177 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

That's funny -- I turned on this old Sylvania tube tv and saw the same thing -- 'END ALL BE ALL HDTV KING'

But mine says "For serious" at the bottom. It's totally legit.

Boom
post #1178 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 175
Quote:

I wonder if I'll see it on a ZT60, too. eek.gif

u should! it was downloaded from the kuro demo biggrin.gif

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #1179 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger View Post

hahaha I was going to say "now it all makes sense"... 1st time I've heard Napoleon Dynamite quoted as reference material..
You have to admit he is entertaining.. kinda cool.gif

LOL!!! yes this thread was in serious need of some humor!

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #1180 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 02:29 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Incidentally, Gatsby sold 1/3 of tickets in 3-D despite being hyped as a 3-D production. Audiences don't even much care for it in the theater.
No one said BluRay was a gimmick. Many felt it was unnecessary. There's a huge difference between those two.

Gatsby is, hmm shall we say, a pretty selective example that narrowly serves your argument. It's not going after an audience that usually goes for 3d movies and yet, even it is in 3D. If anything I think it serves my argument that 3D is becoming more and more ubiquitous. I could reverse your argument and say "Hell even Gatsby is in 3D". What about Hugo, Avatar, Life of Pi, Hobbit, Avangers? Let's see the numbers around Star Trek or even Iron Man 3. The industry reports that this will be the biggest grossing summer on record for 3D movies. I don't know who you are hanging out with or what market you live in, but practically everyone I know goes to see the latest blockbusters in 3D when available. Look at the upcoming roster of movies in 3D and tell me the industry doesn't think it's important to the public. Disney/Pixar is re-doing the entire catalog in native 3D. Why? It's profitable. If there wasn't money to be made they wouldn't be doing it. They are not doing it for their health or to somehow help 3D for the sake of 3D. Looking at the avalanche of 3D films coming out I find it curious anyone would seriously argue that there is no interest.

And there is not a huge difference between saying something is a "gimmick" and saying something is "unnecessary". There is a minor distinction. A gimmick is defined as a special feature that has no relevance or use. Sounds a lot like what people felt was unnecessary about Blu-Ray (high res and more space being the special feature). You're merely dabbling in semantics here. The point is people felt Blu-ray was not necessary and they were wrong. Some people think 3D is unnecessary for increased immersion. I would contend that they too are wrong. The directors I cited would agree with me, but you avoided that part of my contention. rolleyes.gif

We can agree to disagree. We'll see who turns out to be right on this one. cool.gif
Quote:

As for surround sound, if there's a bigger failure in consumer electronics that doesn't completely disappear, I'd love to hear what it is. Americans have rejected multi-channel sound overwhelmingly. Fortunately, those of us that want it can buy it and discs are encoded with it.

There is a huge difference between a failure and a runaway success. Surround speakers and receivers are still, to this day, sold in significant enough numbers to keep manufacturers in the business of designing, building, marketing, and selling them. Surely you have been to an A/V store recently. Sure Soundbars are all the rage, for obvious reasons, but plenty of people listen to surround in their home theaters. Practically everyone on this forum is an example. Something doesn't have to be a runaway success used by a majority of the public to still be a viable technology. Anyway it wasn't my point. My point is, as we both know, surround is a huge factor in the enjoyment and immersion of a movie, even though some people don't get it.
Quote:

In it's current form, I think people are not interested in it. Full stop.

We can all think whatever we want, but the development roadmaps of the major studios as well as box office numbers clearly prove otherwise.

Samsung PN64F8500 (still within return policy window and open minded)
Oppo BDP-93
DirecTV HR-24
Denon AVR 2309-CI
Definitive Technology 5.1 system
Harmony One remote
post #1181 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 02:35 PM

Liked: 14
Just got back from seeing Ironman in 3D. It was awful (both the movie and the 3D). I will never subject myself to another theatrical 3D movie again. If given the option I will always choose 2D.

I feel strongly both ways!
post #1182 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I really don't like digital cinema. I went to watch the Hobbit, in 2D mind you, and the black level was so bad. It was almost as bad as an old LCD panel, and my 2008 Panasonic 46" plasma (not known for the best black level) has a better black level. I only go to the cinema for the experience now, but that's becoming less special: so much more expensive, parents that think their 3 year old is suitable for Iron Man and of course the back-seat commentary from the guy two rows behind. mad.gif
post #1183 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralSex View Post

Just got back from seeing Ironman in 3D. It was awful (both the movie and the 3D). I will never subject myself to another theatrical 3D movie again. If given the option I will always choose 2D.

I haven't seen Iron Man 3 so I can't comment. But that's one film - and it's a conversion.

Did you see Hobbit? Life of Pi? Hugo? Prometheus? All were spectacular in 3D in the theater. If you felt they too were awful, I highly suggest you choose a different theater to visit.

Thing is you can choose 2D all you want, but increasingly, the director's intent and the production goal of the movie, will be designed specifically for 3D. All four of the titles I mention above fall into that category with more on the way. Hugo pales in 2D as the narrative of the movie is intrinsically linked to the technology itself. It would be akin to insisting on seeing movies, shot in color, in black and white because you feel color is unnecessary to the enjoyment of the story, acting, etc. I'd be willing to bet that at the dawn of color, back and white purists were making exactly that argument.

Oppo BDP-93
DirecTV HR-24
Denon AVR 2309-CI
Harmony One remote
post #1184 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post

I really don't like digital cinema. I went to watch the Hobbit, in 2D mind you, and the black level was so bad. It was almost as bad as an old LCD panel, and my 2008 Panasonic 46" plasma (not known for the best black level) has a better black level. I only go to the cinema for the experience now, but that's becoming less special: so much more expensive, parents that think their 3 year old is suitable for Iron Man and of course the back-seat commentary from the guy two rows behind. mad.gif

Actually I too increasingly see little reason to see a 2D movie in a theater. In some cases I get better picture and, in some respects, better audio quality at home. Arclight theaters and IMAX are arguably an exception.

With the latest home 3D tech, I'm starting to feel the same way about 3D as well. smile.gif Imax perhaps being an exception.

Oppo BDP-93
DirecTV HR-24
Denon AVR 2309-CI
Harmony One remote
post #1185 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:

Based on the last sequel, I wasn't expecting much, so the poor movie itself might have inadvertently negatively influenced your reaction to 3D. I do know that if/when I get a 3D display, endlessender's short list will be on my to-view list.
post #1186 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked: 2777
Quote:

Did you see it in a regular theater or IMAX? I thought the 3-D presentation in an IMAX theater looked great. The movie had issues, the series certainly has lost the edgy charm of the first. But a lack of quality special-effects and eye-popping 3-D was not one of the issues.

If you saw Iron Man 3 in a regular movie theater there is a good chance that it was too dark. If you saw in an IMAX theater and didn't like it, then you are one of those people who just doesn't like 3-D! Personally, I don't like movie theaters. I swore off of them, but I needed to see what current 3-D conversion technology look like in a theater since I discuss these topics so much.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #1187 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:

Based on the last sequel, I wasn't expecting much, so the poor movie itself might have inadvertently negatively influenced your reaction to 3D. I do know that if/when I get a 3D display, endlessender's short list will be on my to-view list.

Good point.

I'm sure you'll enjoy Vinnie.

Oppo BDP-93
DirecTV HR-24
Denon AVR 2309-CI
Harmony One remote
post #1188 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveddie81 View Post

An update on the Kuro Experience Disc:

The 13GB .iso file has been split in 3 parts and are ready for upload. Only problem is, it would take approximately 1 day to upload the files with my crappy home internet connection.

I just ran a speed test here at work and got a whopping 10Mbps upload speed. I will upload the files from work on Friday (since everyone in the office and IT leaves early) and wont notice the huge upload.

Thank you very much! I'd be interested in getting my hands/eyes on this! smile.gif
post #1189 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessender View Post

Good point.

I'm sure you'll enjoy Vinnie.
I should add, the only exception being Prometheus, a movie that didn't quite come together for me in the 2D realm, so I am not sure if I would come away with a good impression with the 3D as a result. Can you give me a quick top 10 list of the best 3D BDs?
post #1190 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 03:13 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveddie81 View Post

An update on the Kuro Experience Disc:

The 13GB .iso file has been split in 3 parts and are ready for upload. Only problem is, it would take approximately 1 day to upload the files with my crappy home internet connection.

I just ran a speed test here at work and got a whopping 10Mbps upload speed. I will upload the files from work on Friday (since everyone in the office and IT leaves early) and wont notice the huge upload.

I would also like this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post #1191 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 03:19 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked: 2777
Quote:

I should add, the only exception being Prometheus, a movie that didn't quite come together for me in the 2D realm, so I am not sure if I would come away with a good impression with the 3D as a result. Can you give me a quick top 10 list of the best 3D BDs?

Real quick, ten I enjoyed

Dredd 3D
Life of Pi
Hugo
Final Destination 5
Wreck-It Ralph
Avengers
Captain America
Top Gun
Hubble IMAX

If you like Lionsgate-style R-rated fare, Dredd 3D is simply amazing.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #1192 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:

The 3D of IMAX was nothing short of excellence IMO....I liked the movie, but I didnt go in expecting a direct line to the Alien franchise that many were....It for sure deserves multiple viewings with a "clear" mind and you do ahve to pay attention since most of the things I ahve seen complained about are explained in the movie. You cant be surfing teh web, talkingon the phone, etc you need to watch and listen, you may not agree with everything that was done, but most all of it was explained to the point intended....
post #1193 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 03:27 PM

Thanks, Mark. Ph8, excuse my ignorance, but what is the name of the movie you're referencing? The Alien trilogy or documentary?
post #1194 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Thanks, Mark. Ph8, excuse my ignorance, but what is the name of the movie you're referencing? The Alien trilogy or documentary?

I believe he is talking about Prometheus. Sorta kinda a prequel to the aliens franchise

Theater Room: 65ZT60, Denon 2313CI, Oppo 103D, Apple TV, Logitech Harmony Ultimate
Bedroom: 65VT50, Sony S790, Harmony Smart Control
Game Room: Upcoming Purchases - 4K TV (Sony 65X950B or Reference Series Vizio, Sony FMP-X10) Already Have - OPPO 103D, Harmony Ultimate, Apple TV, 24 gaming systems ready to be hooked up.
post #1195 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:

I was reffering to the movie you were talking about Prometheus smile.gif
post #1196 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Real quick, ten I enjoyed

Dredd 3D
Life of Pi
Hugo
Final Destination 5
Wreck-It Ralph
Avengers
Captain America
Top Gun
Hubble IMAX

If you like Lionsgate-style R-rated fare, Dredd 3D is simply amazing.

Yes I hear Dredd 3D is awesome (ordering it now on Amazon). Also hear Wreck-it Ralph is great too.

I really liked:

The Hobbit
Life of Pi
Prometheus
Hugo
Tintin
Avengers (even though it's a conversion)

I also have a kid and enjoy animated films. These Pixar/Disney films are really really well done (with more coming - Monster's University and 3D reconstruction of Monster's Inc).

Brave
Tangled
Finding Nemo
Toy Story 3
Up

All have amazing PQ and AQ

The Lorax and Madagascar 3D had excellent 3D as well.

Oppo BDP-93
DirecTV HR-24
Denon AVR 2309-CI
Harmony One remote
post #1197 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

The 3D of IMAX was nothing short of excellence IMO....I liked the movie, but I didnt go in expecting a direct line to the Alien franchise that many were....It for sure deserves multiple viewings with a "clear" mind and you do ahve to pay attention since most of the things I ahve seen complained about are explained in the movie. You cant be surfing teh web, talkingon the phone, etc you need to watch and listen, you may not agree with everything that was done, but most all of it was explained to the point intended....

I agree that Prometheus is better with repeated viewings. 3D also adds to the ambiance of the "environment" which, to me, is a big part of Ridley Scott's films.

Oppo BDP-93
DirecTV HR-24
Denon AVR 2309-CI
Harmony One remote
post #1198 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

You haven't seen 3D until you've seen it at a 2 projector Imax theater.

It's that much better.

buytme
post #1199 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 03:46 PM

Oh, of course. I forgot that was an Aliens prequel! As stated, I've already seen it but didn't care for it all that much (and never seriously got into the Alien films) and yes, I was paying as much as attention as I could. I thought it fell flat as an independent storytelling endeavor. Seemingly profound on an esoteric level (for those more versed in the Alien franchise), with a showiness that left me wanting. I just can't stomach paying $30 for it, even in 3D and with the benefit of repeated viewings. Maybe used. wink.gif
post #1200 of 1489 Old 05-15-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famouss View Post

II am still debating whether to get the vt60 or hold onto my vt50 and wait for 2014. I still haven't ruled out the f8500 though as it is an excellent set as well.
i would wait only because i'm in the same boat i wanted to get the 60F8500 But i just bought a 60E8000 last May i can't go and buy a tv every year at these prices. i'll wait to see what happens in 2014

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
PN51F5500 + Directv Genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos top front Ceiling Speakers
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page