Buying Open Box,or older Pre-Owned Plasmas? A viable option? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-12-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hi everyone, (I'm sorry if this has been asked a thousand times on AVS)
I'm very excited about many of the 2013 plasmas I've been seeing, but as the year goes on, my budget may likely become tighter.

Does anyone have any experience with either:

a.) Buying an Open Box/Floor Model plasma from Best Buy or another store?

or

b.) Finding an pre-owned older generation plasma (say, something from a couple years ago like a Panasonic G10 or S30)?

Are these viable options for the plasma buyer, or is it too risky? I'm not sure I'd ever want to make such a big purchase without being able to return it or get a warranty if there are problems. Outside of the risk factor, could the quality of an older or open box TV be good enough to consider as an option? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-12-2013, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 43
March April and May are great times to buy Open Box and Cleranced TVs. At a store, open box items that were just returns have barely been used. BBYs return policy is 15 days now. Shelf displays have more hours on them.

All electronics are a gamble, but the major majority are getting more dependable. There are some small percent of failures... If you are really nervous perhaps purchase a protection plan, as long as that still comes under the price of a brand new set.

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60, Samsung 60F5300
post #3 of 9 Old 05-14-2013, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Buying an open box plasma is a little more risky then an LED especially if it was a floor model or customer return.

The good thing about floor models is they have hours on them and in most cases they should be free of most issues as most problems pop up in the beginning life of a TV. With LED TV's you do not need to worry about screen burn in or bad IR. With plasma's you most certainly do, especially with floor models as BB usually runs wide screen images or has certain things left on the screen for hours or days.

You do get the same 15 day return policy as buying new and also the 1 year manufacturer warranty so some times you will spot something in your house that you did not notice in the store and you can just bring it back.

I think some times a customer return can be more risky as you do not know how the TV was handled once it left the store and how it was brought back. Also, you do not know why they returned it and there is probably a good chance the costumer found something wrong with it.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-17-2013, 08:43 PM

I'm sorry (to dig this back up) but both LEDs and Plasmas have IR. IR does not ruin TVs, it is not 2001 anymore. No one "leaves things on screen" for days or else they would have to throw away every floor sample they have ever displayed.

I advised my friend to buy a 60" LG plasma off the floor. Since the TV had no pedestal he got it for a great price. It had the demo disc main screen retained in the screen. He watched it a few days and it was gone. All electronics you purchase are a very small gamble, but an open box is increasing the chance of issues. In return for that you get a lower price. More often than not things will be fine, but as I said... if you are really worried just get a protection plan of sorts.

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
post #5 of 9 Old 05-18-2013, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidawgz View Post

I'm sorry (to dig this back up) but both LEDs and Plasmas have IR. IR does not ruin TVs, it is not 2001 anymore. No one "leaves things on screen" for days or else they would have to throw away every floor sample they have ever displayed.

I advised my friend to buy a 60" LG plasma off the floor. Since the TV had no pedestal he got it for a great price. It had the demo disc main screen retained in the screen. He watched it a few days and it was gone. All electronics you purchase are a very small gamble, but an open box is increasing the chance of issues. In return for that you get a lower price. More often than not things will be fine, but as I said... if you are really worried just get a protection plan of sorts.
Pretty funny considering I had bought a floor model Plasma that had issues from the store running wide screen content all the time so yeah, I guess it is still 2001 and yes stores do run the same content for days. Or sometimes a DVD menu will be on the screen for days as well.

And while LED's can get burn in or IR, the likely hood of that compared to plasma's are slim to none.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-18-2013, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 124
LCD (=LED) panels don't burn in unless there is a fault on the LCD driver, but that causes a distorted image (you'd notice if there's a fault!), so it's not going to be a concern. Most modern LCDs do not get IR but perhaps some of the newer thinner ones do. I recall older LCDs having minor IR issues, but nothing serious.

Buying a used plasma is good as long as you can test it. You can access many test patterns in the service test mode, like full white. If full white doesn't have burn in, then you're fine. The G10 Panasonic earlier models have some reliability issues with the SC board (6/7 binks of death), so I'd advise getting a G20 or later, or if black level doesn't worry you then PZ80 etc.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-18-2013, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I always buy open-box items. You get a substantial savings, and as they still come with a full warranty any problems that occur can be taken care of easily.

My current TV is an LG 55LM6400 that was the local Sam's display model. They sold this model for just over $1100, but I got mine for $800 because it was the display model. And if any problems occur, I have a full warranty to take care of it.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-18-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post

LCD (=LED) panels don't burn in unless there is a fault on the LCD driver, but that causes a distorted image (you'd notice if there's a fault!), so it's not going to be a concern. Most modern LCDs do not get IR but perhaps some of the newer thinner ones do. I recall older LCDs having minor IR issues, but nothing serious.

Buying a used plasma is good as long as you can test it. You can access many test patterns in the service test mode, like full white. If full white doesn't have burn in, then you're fine. The G10 Panasonic earlier models have some reliability issues with the SC board (6/7 binks of death), so I'd advise getting a G20 or later, or if black level doesn't worry you then PZ80 etc.

LCD and LED and Plasma can get IR. CRT could get IR too. yes, you are definitely right there are certain tech that tends to get it easier or longer than others. However, there are many technologies present now (such as pixel shift) and there was much attention to developing panels that did not destroy themselves under still images. Ive seen LCD (before LED) with letterbox IR and Plasma alike. An abused display model is likely to have any problem, IR is just one of the most visible.

No Best Buy is going to commonly have a G10 or any model older than 1 year. The only way to get a TV more than a year old at BBY is if they are reselling a refurbished TV that was replaced under their warranty.

Now... if I was purchasing would I ignore IR? No sir. However, would I take a chance on a nice model that had a bit of IR? yes. It usually comes right out in a day or two. If it does not, I've got at least two weeks to return the set.

post #9 of 9 Old 05-18-2013, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I was talking about buying a TV off old owners, not from a store, that's why you might be able to pick up 2009/2010 generation panels. I've got a post on tweaking 2008 Panny's (PZ80) to hit 2009~2010 black levels, which may be of interest to those who don't mind tweaking around inside their TV.

I am not aware of any modern LCD panels with IR issues, however, I have not tested LED-LCD panels (only my brother has a Smart Samsung LED, but he's extremely protective of it...)

As for IR on plasma... it's a strange thing. I'm playing around with my two PZ80s and they just don't get IR like people complain with newer panels. I've had a Windows desktop running on it for hours and the task bar doesn't become visible, even when outputting full white. I can barely see the 2.35:1 bars after watching 2 hour long movies, but they fade in about 30 seconds. However, after I tweaked my 42" to have a lower black level, IR did start becoming prominent. Half of me thinks darker black levels means greater IR prominence, due to the lower priming energy available to clear each cell. It's probably a technology trade-off.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page