Fan Noise on the VT60's - Who's suffering from it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-12-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
First, a brief intro about my current predicament:

The last few months have been giving me quite the headache when it comes to picking a new 65" plasma TV for my home theater. After being burned with a 65V10 that suffered from the dreaded "black level rise" syndrome, I want to make sure I am making the right decision here. Precisely because of that fiasco (and how terrible Panasonic's costumer service was at the time) I feel like Panasonic should not be getting my business again. Unfortunately, the options out there are extremely limited, as you all know, and I am a not a huge Samsung fan, either. At least the 65V10 and a previous Panasonic 720p set I also own are still working "perfectly fine" after all these years, if one ignores the black level rise in the case of the V10.

I was dead set on the 65ST60 (I believe that at this point nobody denies it's ridicolous bang-for-the-buck performance, even if one considers the big jump in price from the 60" to 65" model), but after seeing the unit in person I'm afraid I was let down by its overall construction quality. My wife, in fact, simply hated the silver trim. I will say that the silver trim in itself is not a deal breaker to me, but nothing about the unit feels "solid", construction-wise, specially coming from my behemoth, 170 lbs. 65V10. The look of that TV was nothing fancy, but it worked beautifully. A simple piano black frame. Nothing more, nothing less.

So the search/dilemma continues...

At one point I did consider the ZT60 as well, mostly because it promised to be a Kuro killer and a "no need to upgrade for 5+ years" type of product. After the results obtained in the shootout, however, the ZT is out of the question for me and is not even a contender anymore. I can see this being the disappointment of the year, in fact.

Which brings me to the VT60. Both the ST60 and VT60, in all honesty, look cheap, flimsy and plasticky to me, and I am not a big fan of the "V" shaped base nor the side HDMI inputs, either. But, again, it's not like one has any alternative at this point...

It's now basically between the 65ST60 and the 65VT60. I could afford the price difference but do not care one bit about 3D, gaming, apps, internet gizmos nor anything other than picture quality. I do appreciate the better speakers in the VT, though.

My biggest concern is actually not the minute difference in picture quality between both sets, nor the aesthetics, though. Instead, I am mostly concerned about fan noise. My ears are VERY picky with this, and I have returned products in the past because of it. I can't stand it in desktop computers, laptops, hard drives, etc. My question for those who own the VT60 is this: do you or do you not hear the fan noise? This can be a huge decisive factor for me. But at Best Buy, even when pushing my head against the back of the panel, I couldn't hear anything out of the ordinary. The showroom environment, of course, is noisy and not a good indicator of real life noise levels, so I would appreciate any feedback from users who own and have owned the VT60 for a while.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

No one? smile.gif
Old 05-13-2013, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I went though the same thing prior to buying my VT60. I went to BB Magnolia and put my ear right behind the display of three different VT60's. My hearing is incredibly acute and, try as I might, I heard nothing. I can happily say that I hear nothing at all from my 55" VT60 here at home either. I'm sure some do have fan noise or buzzing...I'm just not sure how common an issue it is. All I can say is that none of the four I have listened to (three in BB and 1 at home) had any noise whatsoever.

I feel strongly both ways!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:12 AM

Liked: 11
I can't say about the VT60 but I will say with my 65ST60 the fan noise is almost non-existent. The buzz from white slides exists when I have the sound off but so far I haven't noticed any fan noise, and the buzz I only notice when I don't have ANY sound coming through at all and am using it as a computer monitor. For reference I am EXTREMELY picky like you, I am a silent pc enthusiast and build my own rigs to tight tolerances (mostly passive cooled, very slow 500-700rpm fans). It's my first plasma and I thought it'd be noisy buzzing wise but I find it less offensive than my old LCD tv's fans. Now those fans have gotten worse over time in the old 5 year old LCD, as all fans do with time, but right now with 100 hours into it my ST60 sounds okay to me.

Later today I will check out and put on a black slide to see if I can detect actual fan noise as all i've heard is the low buzz from time to time.

I assume the design/fans aren't much different from the VT60/
Old 05-13-2013, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemlayers View Post

I can't say about the VT60 but I will say with my 65ST60 the fan noise is almost non-existent. The buzz from white slides exists when I have the sound off but so far I haven't noticed any fan noise, and the buzz I only notice when I don't have ANY sound coming through at all and am using it as a computer monitor. For reference I am EXTREMELY picky like you, I am a silent pc enthusiast and build my own rigs to tight tolerances (mostly passive cooled, very slow 500-700rpm fans). It's my first plasma and I thought it'd be noisy buzzing wise but I find it less offensive than my old LCD tv's fans. Now those fans have gotten worse over time in the old 5 year old LCD, as all fans do with time, but right now with 100 hours into it my ST60 sounds okay to me.

Later today I will check out and put on a black slide to see if I can detect actual fan noise as all i've heard is the low buzz from time to time.

I assume the design/fans aren't much different from the VT60/

Thank you both for the feedback. Hearing from somebody else who'e very picky about this is precisely what I was hoping for. smile.gif I was under the impression, though, that the ST60's have no fans at all. Could anybody confirm this?

The VT60's seem to use a completely new, stronger cooling system compared to the VT50's (maybe due to the extra processing power?), and even D-Nice mentioned at the shootout that he could always hear the fans while doing calibrations for clients. This is why I don't want to take any chances. I live on an 11th floor and every time I want to move any large items in and/or out I get into a fight with the folks at the condo association! smile.gif
Old 05-13-2013, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I have a 60VT60 and I have not heard any fans, or any noise (buzz, hum, etc) from the set at all. But I keep my place pretty cold (below 65F) at all times with a lot of moving air - it may not be getting hot enough to require top cooling/exhaust speeds. With all the other ambient noises...fish tank filters, ceiling fans, AC unit....I probably couldn't hear it even if I wanted to.

Boom
Old 05-13-2013, 10:42 AM

Liked: 10
I have a 60VT60 and I am also very sensitive to noise from my AV stack. If I have sound off I can kind of hear the hard drive in my HTPC (need to get an SSD) and can hear buzzing from the VT60 if a bright white slide is up but I don't notice the fan noise. If there is any sound at all from the speakers I can't hear anything from the TV, HTPC, Amp etc (except for the XBox, that thing is like a tornado).

Panasonic 60VT60, Integra 9.9, Outlaw Amp, Sunfire EQ10, Liquid cooled Windows 7 Media Center

Old 05-13-2013, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I have had my 60VT60 for almost a week now, mark me down as no fan noise.

PSN ID: javant86

Old 05-13-2013, 11:33 AM

Liked: 11
Ah I just assumed they had fans but were very quiet as I remember a picture of the ST50 opened up showing it had a row of fans? If it's truly passive that's interesting and would explain why I haven't heard anything, I'll look into it further tonight.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:52 PM

Liked: 17
My 65"VT60 has horrible fan noise from across the room , I've had it for 2 weeks .. I even put sound proofing behind it , no help ...
its being replaced in the morning with a new one
Old 05-14-2013, 06:54 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Medaglia View Post

Thank you both for the feedback. Hearing from somebody else who'e very picky about this is precisely what I was hoping for. smile.gif I was under the impression, though, that the ST60's have no fans at all. Could anybody confirm this?

The VT60's seem to use a completely new, stronger cooling system compared to the VT50's (maybe due to the extra processing power?), and even D-Nice mentioned at the shootout that he could always hear the fans while doing calibrations for clients. This is why I don't want to take any chances. I live on an 11th floor and every time I want to move any large items in and/or out I get into a fight with the folks at the condo association! smile.gif
I also own a 65" ST60 ... They have no fans
Old 05-16-2013, 11:18 AM

Liked: 10
Add me to the list with noticeable fan noise. The noise from my 65VT60 is much more audible than my 65VT30. With the VT30, my DVR and slim PS3 were the only things I could hear, but the fans on the VT60 easily drown them out. Is this something warranty can repair? frown.gif
Old 05-16-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolius View Post

Add me to the list with noticeable fan noise. The noise from my 65VT60 is much more audible than my 65VT30. With the VT30, my DVR and slim PS3 were the only things I could hear, but the fans on the VT60 easily drown them out. Is this something warranty can repair? frown.gif

Unfortunately, it seems you are not the only one. This fan noise issue really concerns me...

Since I live on an 11th floor in a condo that doesn't allow weekend nor after-hour deliveries, it would be a huge annoyance for me if I had to exchange multiple units in order to get one with fans that do not sound like turbines... I would get the ST60 instead, and I still might, but after seeing it in the flesh a few times just recently, I'm going to have to side with my wife and admit that the unit simply looks flimsy and not well-built. The plastic bezel and stand are a joke, and the silver trim is beyond tacky, not to mention pointless. Again, specially compared to my 65V10 I described in my first post here, which was built like a tank. This criticism is not exclusive to Panasonic, though. ALL the sets at the store, including the Samsungs, looked terribly cheap. Ironically, the best looking ones (aesthetically speaking, of course... no picture quality judgement here) were the LG's and Sony's (beautiful, and I love the side speakers)...

I understand this is a sign of the times and that manufacturers need to cut costs somewhere. But no $2K+ items should look THIS flimsy.

To make matters worse, every single retail store I have been to has been DEPLORABLE when it came to costumer service. Case in point: I was at Best buy yesterday and there was NOBODY at Magnolia. After a few unsuccessful attempts to get some help, I finally got a hold of a manager who greeted me with a "what's up, dude!" and then proceeded to interrupt me all the time and did not want to lower the price even by $100. There is no way I am paying retail for this type of technology anymore when dramatic price drops are inevitable... Similar stories at different stores, including HHGregg, where the guy was more interested in trying to sell me a $50 HDMI cable instead of the TV I was asking him about).

When you add all of this (fan noise, cheap build quality, IR issues, buzzying, reliability issues, black level rise issues in my case, floating blacks in other cases, 3D, apps, cameras and things I will never use, crappy speakers, etc...plus non-enjoyable shopping experiences), not to mention prices that I still believe to be extremely high (why the crazy increase from 60" to 65"?), and the fact that newer technologies are around the corner, I am tempted to say "to hell with it... I'll put up with slightly brighter blacks for a while longer....at least I have no IR nor any buzzying anymore"...

Just me thinking out loud, mind you... smile.gif
Old 06-07-2013, 06:54 AM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I just got my VT60 yesterday. It has fan pulsating fan noise. I hate returning things, but I think I will have to in this case. What makes it worse is the noise is pulsating and I can hear it over dialog. I don't want to get a replacement set for fear it will also have fan noise. So I guess I will stick with my VT50 for now.

TWD
Old 06-07-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
To make you guys with the fan noise a little happier, My 65ZT60 also has it. I can hear when there is no audio from the receiver from 12 feet. My 65V10 has been always dead quiet.The noise is not as loud as a PS3 but can be heard.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
Old 06-07-2013, 11:23 PM

Liked: 14
That would drive me fing nuts. Get it fixed
Old 06-07-2013, 11:39 PM

Liked: 20
The 60" zt I had, had audible fan noise from 10 feet away. You could hear it over very low volumes. Not during normal levels .It wasn't a steady noise either. Kinda waxed and waned.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:39 PM

The 60" zt I had, had audible fan noise from 10 feet away. You could hear it over very low volumes. Not during normal levels .It wasn't a steady noise either. Kinda waxed and waned.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The fan noise from my ZT60 is actually very low but the problem is that it ADDS to the fan noise from my HR22 Directv receiver. The 2 combined produce an audible noise from 12 feet. Watching a Bluray from my fanless Oppo 103 is not a problem. If you have a PS3 , even the new model, rest assured the noise is not even close to that.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
Old 06-08-2013, 10:07 AM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coresare View Post

The "waxed and wand" is what I think is the problem. It draws attention to it. If it were consistent it would be much less offensive.

TWD
Old 06-09-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post

The "waxed and wand" is what I think is the problem. It draws attention to it. If it were consistent it would be much less offensive.

Yeah =( it made me feel like punching it because it was as if it was out of balance lol.

I never noticed the fan noise at first..but after a few hours of watching during the day time, it definitely got louder as it started spinning faster to try cooling off the set more.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I had a 65ZT60 that had no fan noise but it ran hot, had a stuck pixel, banding issues, and the ARC input wouldn't work. I swapped it out and got a 65ZT60 that works perfectly but does have fan noise -- it runs cool -- and I fans for all my laptops so I expect some fan noise. Also, I'm running slides non-stop so maybe the fans will quiet down under normal usage. I can get used to the fan noise but couldn't get used to the issues the other unit had. And I figure it's easier to swap out fans than it is a panel. Finally think 2x before swapping out TV's -- it's a lot of work. smile.gif

It's pick your poison I guess.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:42 AM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

I had a 65ZT60 that had no fan onoise but it ran hot, had a stuck pixel, banding issues, and the ARC input wouldn't work. I swapped it out and got a 65ZT60 that works perfectly but does have fan noise -- it runs cool -- and I fans for all my laptops so I expect some fan noise. Also, I'm running slides non-stop so maybe the fans will quiet down under normal usage. I can get used to the fan noise but couldn't get used to the issues the other unit had. And I figure it's easier to swap out fans than it is a panel. Finally think 2x before swapping out TV's -- it's a lot of work. smile.gif

It's pick your poison I guess.

Thanks for the info. Regarding the fan noise, is it constant or pulsing.

Just curious why you say it is a lot of work to swap out TVs. Did you get it from best buy?

TWD
Old 06-09-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

Thanks for the info. Regarding the fan noise, is it constant or pulsing.

Just curious why you say it is a lot of work to swap out TVs. Did you get it from best buy?

Started out pulsing but is steady now and seems to have diminished (or I'm getting used to it). I have white glove delivery from MDC so they brought out the replacement but it was still a lot of work moving speakers, removing center speaker, prepping the room for the delivery, putting the packaging and box away, getting it all set up again, etc.

I would've kept the other if it was one issue but it had several.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:36 PM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Old 06-09-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 451
The fan noise on my 65VT60 is very faint when the room is completely silient...sitting about 8 feet back. When the set or anything else is on, it cannot be heard at all. This was the case with the first 65VT60 I returned.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:

Fan noise from across the pond.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1775475-panasonic-vt65-fan-noise.html
You mentioned the fans are already quiet. I would imagine you were listening to the fan speed at lower than normal operating speeds when the set hasnt heated up yet?
Old 06-09-2013, 03:14 PM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coresare View Post

Quote:

Fan noise from across the pond.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1775475-panasonic-vt65-fan-noise.html
You mentioned the fans are already quiet. I would imagine you were listening to the fan speed at lower than normal operating speeds when the set hasnt heated up yet?

No, the person in the UK said the fans were quiet when he removed the back panel

TWD
Old 06-09-2013, 04:02 PM

Oh you aren't the author. What I was getting at was after he had time to remove the back cover. The fans probably werent spinning very fast because the set wasn't at normal operating temperature.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:00 PM
TWD
AVS Special Member

I'm not the author.

TWD

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv