post #91 of 202 Old 05-19-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic12345 View Post

Original poster could give big Thankyou too all the responses.lots of people never get 1 response.

Believe you said you run low contrast setting. I did too,but I just found out on my Samsung I have to have contrast in the 80s or it's too dim.

Adios amigo

Many PDP's today are calibrated with the contrast at 80% or higher. This is to help reduce white level clipping.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 202 Old 05-19-2013, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 205
The OP is complaining about not getting his version of viewing perfection from a 42S60 1080P, a display that Sears put on sale last week for $400.00! In order for them to be able to do that, Panasonic must have spent very little on the manufacturing of the product. Why the OP purchased such a cheap 1080P display, when he asserts that 1080P is something that is not even needed at all, is rather puzzling. There are 1080!/720P sets on the market. It strikes me that he is like someone who paid for a Yugo and then started complaining about how he can not get it to drive like a Porsche. He never will.wink.gif
post #93 of 202 Old 05-19-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

The OP is complaining about not getting his version of viewing perfection from a 42S60 1080P, a display that Sears put on sale last week for $400.00! In order for them to be able to do that, Panasonic must have spent very little on the manufacturing of the product. Why the OP purchased such a cheap 1080P display, when he asserts that 1080P is something that is not even needed at all, is rather puzzling. There are 1080!/720P sets on the market. It strikes me that he is like someone who paid for a Yugo and then started complaining about how he can not get it to drive like a Porsche. He never will.wink.gif

I think this sums it up a lot.

Now where were all these great CRTs all my life is what I want to know....

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #94 of 202 Old 05-19-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
42" at 10' and he's complaining? There's a reason that Plasma's that size are going away-Nobody wants anything that small except in a bedroom. wink.gif
post #95 of 202 Old 05-19-2013, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I think this sums it up a lot.

Now where were all these great CRTs all my life is what I want to know....

The sony xbr960 as well as the sony Fw900 were the best tv and computer monitor made. Now they are just bulky items that are ineffienct and mostly in land fills buy now or broken with faulty caps.

I think id own a 60" vizio vs those sets i just listed rofl
post #96 of 202 Old 05-19-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

42" at 10' and he's complaining? There's a reason that Plasma's that size are going away-Nobody wants anything that small except in a bedroom. wink.gif

The OP could live at home in a small room at home with his parents or trying to use a plasma for a computer monitor idk. Sounds weird to me.

Maybe the OP should go with projection technology. I wonder if he complains about the picture quality at the movie theater too
post #97 of 202 Old 05-19-2013, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I think there's a lot of judging and unnecessary name calling at the OPs expense. Sure, he's not getting what myself and many others are saying, and i disagree with everything he's said but the personal attacks aren't called for.

Frankly, I'm surprised this thread is still active. To the OP, I've given my suggestion, you disagreed. No point for me to further participate here. I wish you luck and hope you find what you're looking for.
rypaul likes this.

PANASONIC VT50 FOR SALE!!!!

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #98 of 202 Old 05-19-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

I think there's a lot of judging and unnecessary name calling at the OPs expense. Sure, he's not getting what myself and many others are saying, and i disagree with everything he's said but the personal attacks aren't called for.

Frankly, I'm surprised this thread is still active. To the OP, I've given my suggestion, you disagreed. No point for me to further participate here. I wish you luck and hope you find what you're looking for.

He might be looking for one of those cool screens from the movie Avatar ... You know the ones that bend and look 3d . Samsung is working on that
post #99 of 202 Old 05-20-2013, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
this forum has become a total joke..full of people with the same comment and nobody who really knows much about anything other than regurgitating the same few points over and over again (not all of you, but most). It used to be av science where there were many knowledgeable people to discuss things with. Now it's a mob mentality freakshow... and this 42" cheap tv is likely the best 42 inch display ever made. I would pay for a vt if they sold it in 42, but they don't. And unlike the bigger is better sentiment of this crowd, I'm just looking for a good picture. It need not be a huge screen...you're all so cool because you have bigger tv's...just ridiculous. I can't believe I'm discussing pic quality with people like this.

anyhow, I look forward to reading the insulting replies from a bunch more know nothings and I'm glad to have received some very good pm's from those who are likely unwilling to discuss this topic with this bunch of half wits....but who can discuss the issues and merits of video quality and possible solutions...etc.

I mean, the guy who told me the inaccurate primaries were the reason for the noise...that really takes the cake. I should have just moved on after that one...
post #100 of 202 Old 05-20-2013, 01:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 104
LOL. You're funny. biggrin.gif This made my night.
post #101 of 202 Old 05-20-2013, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

jcon, your comment to get the set calibrated is flat out wrong...it's not the answer. I have been on this forum for 10+ years, owned countless displays and calibrated all of them. All types of tv and all types of projectors. I need not get words of wisdom from some new forum member just telling me to get my set calibrated as if I don't get it. I don't know what calibration does..or can do. Not the case. No offence, I know you mean well...and likely think you had the answer all along. Well, you didn't. Had you told me to use low drive mode and try a lower gamma setting, then I would give you props! That was the type of thing I was looking for in starting this thread.
post #102 of 202 Old 05-20-2013, 04:10 AM
PCD

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by benareeno View Post

jcon, your comment to get the set calibrated is flat out wrong...it's not the answer. I have been on this forum for 10+ years, owned countless displays and calibrated all of them. All types of tv and all types of projectors. I need not get words of wisdom from some new forum member just telling me to get my set calibrated as if I don't get it. I don't know what calibration does..or can do. Not the case. No offence, I know you mean well...and likely think you had the answer all along. Well, you didn't. Had you told me to use low drive mode and try a lower gamma setting, then I would give you props! That was the type of thing I was looking for in starting this thread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect
Cimerrian likes this.

Evil Sysadmin

post #103 of 202 Old 05-20-2013, 05:36 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

this forum has become a total joke..full of people with the same comment and nobody who really knows much about anything other than regurgitating the same few points over and over again (not all of you, but most). It used to be av science where there were many knowledgeable people to discuss things with. Now it's a mob mentality freakshow... and this 42" cheap tv is likely the best 42 inch display ever made. I would pay for a vt if they sold it in 42, but they don't. And unlike the bigger is better sentiment of this crowd, I'm just looking for a good picture. It need not be a huge screen...you're all so cool because you have bigger tv's...just ridiculous. I can't believe I'm discussing pic quality with people like this.

anyhow, I look forward to reading the insulting replies from a bunch more know nothings and I'm glad to have received some very good pm's from those who are likely unwilling to discuss this topic with this bunch of half wits....but who can discuss the issues and merits of video quality and possible solutions...etc.

I mean, the guy who told me the inaccurate primaries were the reason for the noise...that really takes the cake. I should have just moved on after that one...

I think the joke is in the title of this thread. Your tone towards others who have tried to at least somewhat help is also a joke. Just because you can not seem to get your TV settings proper doesn't indicate that "plasma....it's just not that good". The title would have been representing of your problem if it was called "help, I can not set my plasma up properly...terrible noise".

Or you suffer from the, as PCD linked to, Kruger Effect.
post #104 of 202 Old 05-20-2013, 06:19 AM

As I hinted to in an earlier post 'You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar'

It's about perspective and how you react to it. One has to keep in mind when posting

issues that those trying to pitch their help/opinions don't know you, how tech savvy

you are and more importantly they have no idea what the actual problem you are

having looks like because they are not in front of your set. They are gonna draw

certain conclusions based on their own past experiences with tv's and other

forum members. The reactions of others is something you have no control over but

how you allow things to affect you and how you react to them is another matter.

I know I keep sounding like the 'Can't we all just get along guy' but then that

is how my personality tends to deal with what I consider minor or unnecessary

conflicts of personalities. :)

post #105 of 202 Old 05-20-2013, 07:01 AM

H
Quote:

Been on the forum for 10 plus years but you still buy bottom of the mill plasmas and tvs today? You can not seem to learn anything from the experts on this forum what makes up a good tv and how to properly set any device up that you have previously purchased and you seem to refuse to believe the plasma you own should be in the same league as a flagship model.

Your title in this thread seems to make you out like some sort of anti plasma fanboy or a troll. How is it that a professional calibrator and professional reviewers like from cnet not have reported anything you have mentioned? Because its absolutely ludicrous what you have come up with and does not make any sense .
post #106 of 202 Old 05-20-2013, 07:24 AM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rypaul View Post

... 'You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar' ...

I once quoted this to someone, and I got a response: "You can catch even more flies with sh*t than honey."

Disclaimer: I am not implying anything or trying to offend anyone here, ... just a personal experience.

To the op: Every technology has its benefits and drawbacks. You make a list of good vs. bad, and make your decision based on what's available at the time. I personally can live with the noise of Plasma over the ghosting effects and tons of other problems of LCD. Then again at the end of the day, everything comes to personal choice.
post #107 of 202 Old 05-20-2013, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I could change the thread title now, I suppose...as plasma is the better tech. This is why I chose it (I believed it then)...I just became frustrated with some picture issues which may be somewhat alleviated now. I would surely never, ever recommend the high brightness drive mode to anyone...at any time.

It's the Kruger effect alright...where I am overestimating what you all may have to say about the pic quality issues. And for the most part none of you said anything of any interest. Get your set calibrated...or, you have super human eyes..or, get a better tv...or, you're mean, or the noise is from inaccurate primary colors... and whatever else filled this thread. Or explaining to me...someone who has owned many iterations of all display techs that choosing a tv is about tradeoffs...yah, thanks. I think I'm aware of that, in a big way. And, I'm happy with my choice. But, I will never be so defensive about my particular tv or tv tech as so many on this forum are. This forum is about achieving the best..not about brand or tech loyalty. As if saying a negative thing about plasma would be blasphemous in the plasma forum..that attitude is a joke. I will always have my eyes open for what might be the best..and I would always want the best pic quality out of my chosen display.

In general, I am happy with the pic quality on this set...plasma is the superior technology and yet, I would be pushing the manufacturers for more.
post #108 of 202 Old 05-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

I could change the thread title now, I suppose...as plasma is the better tech. This is why I chose it (I believed it then)...I just became frustrated with some picture issues which may be somewhat alleviated now. I would surely never, ever recommend the high brightness drive mode to anyone...at any time.

It's the Kruger effect alright...where I am overestimating what you all may have to say about the pic quality issues. And for the most part none of you said anything of any interest. Get your set calibrated...or, you have super human eyes..or, get a better tv...or, you're mean, or the noise is from inaccurate primary colors... and whatever else filled this thread. Or explaining to me...someone who has owned many iterations of all display techs that choosing a tv is about tradeoffs...yah, thanks. I think I'm aware of that, in a big way. And, I'm happy with my choice. But, I will never be so defensive about my particular tv or tv tech as so many on this forum are. This forum is about achieving the best..not about brand or tech loyalty. As if saying a negative thing about plasma would be blasphemous in the plasma forum..that attitude is a joke. I will always have my eyes open for what might be the best..and I would always want the best pic quality out of my chosen display.

In general, I am happy with the pic quality on this set...plasma is the superior technology and yet, I would be pushing the manufacturers for more.

I don't think anyone is being defensive about Plasma because it's what they own. They're just stating what they believe to be logical reasons why you're seeing the issues that you're seeing. Issues that the vast majority of people don't see.

It almost feels as though this was your agenda the whole time. To come in and over exaggerate the weaknesses of Plasma technology while ultimately claiming to be a victim of Plasma fanboys and their attitude towards you. You created a thread with the intention of stiring things up, posted it in the respective forum, and opened up with the attitude.
rypaul and Leon! like this.

post #109 of 202 Old 05-20-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

good point...but, I will tell you this. On the night I made that post, I meant it...I was downright mad. Thinking that manufacturers have slipped one by the consumer...again! These sets are quantitatively perfect...but what about qualitative? While all measurements show that they are the bomb, how do things look when you sit down and watch a movie? Not that great...not without some serious delving into the drive modes, and gamma selections. At the very end, this post could suggest to another user who finds the image noisy, to try low or mid drive setting and a lower gamma (like 2.4). Also, lowering contrast and lowering gamma may be a means of getting a smoother picture with reasonable gamma (still to be measured). One other point, I would suggest that the high drive setting is abysmal and should not be used at all. Your mileage may vary.

I did want to stir things up...but I want good solid arguments or points to be made. And barring the inputs of a few, the inputs of many are really a waste of time. The purpose of the post and thoughts within are just to arrive at a better result. Goal achieved.
post #110 of 202 Old 05-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 68
Quote:

I could change the thread title now, I suppose...as plasma is the better tech. This is why I chose it (I believed it then)...I just became frustrated with some picture issues which may be somewhat alleviated now.

So plasma is "that good" after all? And you were sort of trolling, but sort of looking for a solution to concerns related to the S60?

Remind us how far your typical viewing distance is? Any further than, say, six feet isn't gonna work. Considering that a 60" ST60 runs for $1,500 or less and that you seem to enjoy PQ, then move on up.

HT 3.1: Panny BDT 220 | 60" Panny VT60 | Marantz AV7005 | Focal CMS50 (L/R), CMS40 & CMS Sub

Stereo system: Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
post #111 of 202 Old 05-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

good point...but, I will tell you this. On the night I made that post, I meant it...I was downright mad. Thinking that manufacturers have slipped one by the consumer...again! These sets are quantitatively perfect...but what about qualitative? While all measurements show that they are the bomb, how do things look when you sit down and watch a movie? Not that great...not without some serious delving into the drive modes, and gamma selections. At the very end, this post could suggest to another user who finds the image noisy, to try low or mid drive setting and a lower gamma (like 2.4). Also, lowering contrast and lowering gamma may be a means of getting a smoother picture with reasonable gamma (still to be measured). One other point, I would suggest that the high drive setting is abysmal and should not be used at all. Your mileage may vary.

I did want to stir things up...but I want good solid arguments or points to be made. And barring the inputs of a few, the inputs of many are really a waste of time. The purpose of the post and thoughts within are just to arrive at a better result. Goal achieved.

Being frustrated by a product is understandable. But while you created this thread to vent about your bad experience you rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. This is why there are so many "waste of time" comments to you. Perhaps the people with useless comments felt your whole argument was a waste of time, as it seemed exaggerated.

You would've had a much better discussion is the thread were different to begin with. You can always start a new thread with the appropriate title to bring in a higher-level discussion.

post #112 of 202 Old 05-20-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm 9 or 10 feet away from a 42 inch, and that size is fine...and I'm happy with pic quality with the adjustments that have been made. I haven't watched a dark movie on the new settings though, but I anticipate a better result now.

I rub people the wrong way all the time, and I'm ok with that. People are too sensitive...especially when dealing with emotionally charged issues like plasma tv's smile.gif. I'd just as soon not become part of the herd and stay on the outside. I rarely, if ever post here anymore...but wanted to post my rant. And it was not trollish, because it came from an honest place. It was provocative though...and what's wrong with that?

I don't care about the ridiculous replies as they are now more the norm around here. 10 years ago, this forum had way more experts who weren't so sensitive. It was about the science of av! If someone thought dvd sounded inferior to laserdisc...it was discussed. And not full of replies about the laserdisc guy having super human hearing, or not understanding the volume control. It was discussed at a technical level...sure, we still argued. But, arguments are vehicles to get to the truth...
post #113 of 202 Old 05-20-2013, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

and yes...I would reverse that thread and say plasma is pretty darn good. And absolutely superior to lcd/led.
post #114 of 202 Old 05-20-2013, 12:54 PM

Liked: 35
What's the smallest samsung plasma goes? There's always the pro panasonic panels that go down to 42" also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benareeno 
plasma....it's just not that good. I'm not trolling!

Quote:

and yes...I would reverse that thread and say plasma is pretty darn good.
Quote:

I did want to stir things up...

LOL good one! You actually had me going there for a while. I was sitting here thinking someone really decided plasmas aren't good, referencing a $400 s60, but you were really just pretending in order to stir the pot! Well done, as that SHOULD have been a good strategy to get more legit responses/detailed advice from the respected avs gurus & calibrators here, instead of so many people just shouting you down & calling you a troll. IDK why they did that.

confused.gif

Hope you find the right settings & viewing distance for yours, or else a better PQ/$ ratio in a different model (& sorry the AVS community frowned upon your shenanigans).
jjkusaf1 likes this.
post #115 of 202 Old 05-20-2013, 02:01 PM

I dont know this could of been a thread conspiracy to run up the OP thread post count as an excuse to build up his pecking order
hah
post #116 of 202 Old 05-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 26
About 2 yrs ago future shop was selling a tv that "Might" of been the same model as you have.They were selling it as a demo and around$400.The thing that stood out was how dim it was.I read positive comments about how good this tv was...I seen the low budget x3 or x5(can't remember) and noticed that it looked brighter and more colorful compared to other one.Yet I read bad comments about this one.Go figure.
post #117 of 202 Old 05-20-2013, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wasn't pretending... I said I meant it when I posted.

This thread can be left for dead now...no questions remain to be answered.
post #118 of 202 Old 05-20-2013, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Time to get another crt
greenland likes this.
post #119 of 202 Old 05-20-2013, 07:28 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:

I wasn't pretending... I said I meant it when I posted.

This thread can be left for dead now...no questions remain to be answered.

Sorry man, I think I took those quotes in the wrong way.

BTW I THINK you can actually pm a mod or someone, & request that a thread be locked if you don't like it any more or something,
post #120 of 202 Old 05-20-2013, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Ive had the budget Samsung plasma and budget lg and the Samsung is a better tv, as lg had some obvious problems that the Samsung does not.The samsung does have more noise/dithering on the screen,and lg has more control options for picture adjustments for calibrators.
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60 , Panasonic Viera Tc P50ut50 50 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page