I have up to $1100 to spend on a TV. What should I get? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-14-2013, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I stumbled upon this website after looking for a week at what seems to be an infinite amount of televisions out there. Studying and reading up on the response times, dynamic contrast ratios, HDMI ports, plasma vs LED vs LCD, and etc.. Seems there is much more to buying a TV than I thought.

While I definitely could spend more than $1100 on a TV, I don't want to go too far outside of my budget. I've also seen some quality models from 800-1000. After gathering some info, here is sort of what I am looking for:

-Smart TV - This is an option I find to be completely unnecessary. I already have a PS3 that runs netflix and all the apps that would normally come on what TV's now offer. I find it is actually hard to find TV's now that aren't Smart TVs.

- 3D - I will never use the 3D option.

- HDMI Ports - I'm not sure I'd need more than 2-3. I'm connecting a PS3 to it, and I'll have cable installed in my room, and then will eventually get a sound system (using turtle beach headset until then).

- Usage - Heavy on movies and sports, also play games (Sony PS3). I play online, like games like Uncharted, Bioshock, FIFA, will get gets like The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto. My bedroom is moderately lit.

-Dislike the "soap opera effect" on movies. While this is certainly great for watching a sports game, I can't stand when movies look like this.

I am thinking something at least 50".

An older model I was looking at was the Samsung 50" LED 1080 P 120Hz UN506000FXZA

The Panasonic TC-PST60 is nice, but probably a bit of overkill from what I need.

Anyways, the more I research, the less decisive I am becoming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony1381 View Post

The Panasonic TC-PST60 is nice, but probably a bit of overkill from what I need.
No, that's what you need. It's too bad it has some features you won't use (smart, 3d, motion smoothing), but the TVs with the best picture quality just tend to have these features, these days. (However, I can't give advice on games or sports, since I don't use my st60 for either of those.)

Greg Lee
Old 05-14-2013, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

As far as gaming, I am reading about how some of the old old models (projection) suffered from burn ins, how some TV's have ghosting issues, and how some larger TV's suffer when it comes to response times.

I mean, I'm not the type of gamer who has time or would want to play 50 or so hours a week, but I do like playing certain games every now and then, and enjoy playing online.

But I want it to have a nice balance between movies and gaming. (3D, internet aps, Wi-Fi, etc), that is all completely unnecessary. But like you said, most of the new TV's carry those options.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 596
If you are interested in gaming then I would choose either the S60 or S64 due to the lag reports on the ST60..
Old 05-14-2013, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Is Panasonic a better quality TV than both Samsung and Sony? I was under the impression it would not be, but according to a few sites, the Panasonic higher ends have received some great writeups.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Panasonic has the highest reliability of any sets made.

Tony
Old 05-14-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:

Is Panasonic a better quality TV than both Samsung and Sony? I was under the impression it would not be, but according to a few sites, the Panasonic higher ends have received some great writeups.

The failure rates on both Panasonic and Samsung are at about 2%...Not sure on Sony....The Panasonic lower end models (when it comes to gaming) I would chose over the Samsung purely basedon input lag. I havent seen any measurements done on the 5500 or 5300 so its tough to say which is better between those models....The ST60 is the steal of the year for the price you pay and performance you get, unfortunately the gamiing lag may take it out of contention for you...
Old 05-14-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Is this the TV you are talking about?

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p50st60/4505-6482_7-35566949.html

The input lag seems to be a common issue, I found a few threads on it, as well as some youtube videos, that go over in detail some of the issues that pop up. - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1467481/official-st60-input-lag-thread

Some other ones I like

Panasonic VIERA TC-P50ST50

Samsung PN60E6500

Samsung UN55ES6500
Old 05-14-2013, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Early impressions on the S60/64's input lag seem to be positive. Look for midkay on YouTube. He posts on here and has posted a video of lag with an ST60, and a video of lag with an S60. It's a pretty substantial difference. So far, everyone's agreeing that if you play games on a plasma, the S60/64 is the way to go, and that it's a wonderful compromise of PQ and input lag. Sounds like a beautiful image with no input lag problems.

It's a tough process. First, you figure out if you want plasma or LCD. Then you find something up your alley...but you start hearing about problems you've never even heard of. I had this problem when looking for an LCD last year. Even one model of TV could have a couple variations, so it's like playing the lottery and hoping you get a good one. This panel has blue trailing, this one isn't bright enough, this one is perfect but has some slight ghosting/smearing issues. It's a big can of worms.

I don't want to say "do as little research as possible", but try not to go too far down the rabbit hole or you will drive yourself absolutely crazy.

If you're going plasma, my two cents (for what they're worth) would be to go with the S60/64, and then spend some money on an audio system if you don't have one. I'd love to tell you that there's a great option right now that's more expensive than the S60/64 for input lag, but early reports are saying that that is the place to go if you want to play games and not get frustrated.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogueSquadron View Post

Early impressions on the S60/64's input lag seem to be positive. Look for midkay on YouTube. He posts on here and has posted a video of lag with an ST60, and a video of lag with an S60. It's a pretty substantial difference. So far, everyone's agreeing that if you play games on a plasma, the S60/64 is the way to go, and that it's a wonderful compromise of PQ and input lag. Sounds like a beautiful image with no input lag problems.

It's a tough process. First, you figure out if you want plasma or LCD. Then you find something up your alley...but you start hearing about problems you've never even heard of. I had this problem when looking for an LCD last year. Even one model of TV could have a couple variations, so it's like playing the lottery and hoping you get a good one. This panel has blue trailing, this one isn't bright enough, this one is perfect but has some slight ghosting/smearing issues. It's a big can of worms.

I don't want to say "do as little research as possible", but try not to go too far down the rabbit hole or you will drive yourself absolutely crazy.

If you're going plasma, my two cents (for what they're worth) would be to go with the S60/64, and then spend some money on an audio system if you don't have one. I'd love to tell you that there's a great option right now that's more expensive than the S60/64 for input lag, but early reports are saying that that is the place to go if you want to play games and not get frustrated.

It is too late for that. Two weeks ago, I had a very basic level of knowledge regarding TV, but now, it really feels like I am diving into something that is far more expansive then I realized. It reminds me of when I first started playing Dynasty League Football (a much more hardcore version of Fantasy Football that involves 32 actual teams, live auctions, balancing cap years, a salary cap, dealing with IDP's, depth charts, defense formations that alter your lineups, and etc). It is all interesting, but like you said, the more you start to learn, the less decisive you become.. I started off wanting a nice TV with some quality black levels with color that popped, and also could play games, but then realized so many current models are equipped with apps, and etc. I don't really have a preference over LCD, LED, or Plasma, but I've read that Plasma's have a shorter life expectancy.

Talking to store associates at Best Buy and what not, very few people know what they are talking about. I feel like I shouldn't know more about TV's if I've been looking at them for 2 weeks, then a salesperson who sells them all day. I was told by someone at Best Buy that for gaming, LCD/LED is the only way to go. Not sure if that is true or not.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

I don't really have a preference over LCD, LED, or Plasma, but I've read that Plasma's have a shorter life expectancy.

Talking to store associates at Best Buy and what not, very few people know what they are talking about. I feel like I shouldn't know more about TV's if I've been looking at them for 2 weeks, then a salesperson who sells them all day. I was told by someone at Best Buy that for gaming, LCD/LED is the only way to go. Not sure if that is true or not.

Don't make it so hard on yourself, yes LCD's are good for gaming but so is Plasma. As for Plasma having a shorter expectancy, I doubt you will keep a tv more than 10 years. They last for a long time, that is not even an issue. As some other members suggested to get the Panasonic S60, I totally agree. It has good input lag for gaming and it doesn't have 3d since you don't need it. Also you don't like the soap opera look so plasma is the way to go in my opinion. Since you also watch movies, you can't beat the picture quality for the price, it would kill any LCD in picture quality.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
Old 05-15-2013, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Don't make it so hard on yourself, yes LCD's are good for gaming but so is Plasma. As for Plasma having a shorter expectancy, I doubt you will keep a tv more than 10 years. They last for a long time, that is not even an issue. As some other members suggested to get the Panasonic S60, I totally agree. It has good input lag for gaming and it doesn't have 3d since you don't need it. Also you don't like the soap opera look so plasma is the way to go in my opinion. Since you also watch movies, you can't beat the picture quality for the price, it would kill any LCD in picture quality.

That is a good point. Do all of the S60's only have 2 HDMI slots? I mean a cable box and PS3 will take up all the room. What about a sound system?

So choose between these two?

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-P55S60-55-Inch-1080p-Plasma/dp/B00ARAHA0Q/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1368600664&sr=1-4&keywords=panasonic+s60

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P50ST50-50-Inch-Plasma/dp/B00752VKW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368601281&sr=8-1&keywords=SMART+VIERA®+50 - Several reviews talk about image retention/burn in being an issue. And after digging into amazon customer reviews, there are numerous complaints about burn in issues on a variety of plasma tvs (menu's, HUDs, tickers from TV, etc). So much so, are LED's the way to go?

Is this only an issue with plasma or Panasonics in general?

Ugh. Getting farther and father away from a decision.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:50 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

That is a good point. Do all of the S60's only have 2 HDMI slots? I mean a cable box and PS3 will take up all the room. What about a sound system?

So choose between these two?

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-P55S60-55-Inch-1080p-Plasma/dp/B00ARAHA0Q/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1368600664&sr=1-4&keywords=panasonic+s60

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P50ST50-50-Inch-Plasma/dp/B00752VKW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368601281&sr=8-1&keywords=SMART+VIERA®+50 - Several reviews talk about image retention/burn in being an issue. And after digging into amazon customer reviews, there are numerous complaints about burn in issues on a variety of plasma tvs (menu's, HUDs, tickers from TV, etc). So much so, are LED's the way to go?

Is this only an issue with plasma or Panasonics in general?

Ugh. Getting farther and father away from a decision.

If you have a sound system (amplifier), you only need 1 HDMI slot in the TV.
PS3, Cable box, Media Player, etc2, will be going to the Sound System first.
So, find a sound system that have many HDMI slots.

IMHO, 55S60 is better than 50ST50, it's 5" bigger tongue.gif

I've been using Samsung 64D8000 plasma for playing PS3 games and watching cable tv for a couple of years now. And no burn in issue at all.
Unfortunately, I can't give insight on the Panasonic plasma, since I've only had my 65VT50 for 1 month. But I don't see any IR or burn in at all. *knocks on wood*.. tongue.gif

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn60e6500 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Un55es6500 55 Inch 1080p 120 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System , Samsung Pn64d8000 64 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Tv 2011 Model
Gear in this thread - P50st50 by PriceGrabber.com