Official LG 50PN6500, 60PN6500 Owner's Thread (2013 1080p plasma series)... - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 136 Old 12-17-2013, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS1970 View Post

Thanks for posting these....I really like your settings, but am having a bit of trouble with them on my set because in really dark scenes, the scenes are really dark. I like them overall, think maybe I need to just adjust to them. But, yes, the blacks are defintiely better and inkier with your settings.

Hey, I just found out those settings I posted above have crushed blacks so I re-calibrated and have settled on these settings. You can give them a try. I think it looks even better now.

Energy Saving: OFF
Panel Light 90
Contrast 90
Brightness 52
H Sharpness 15
V Sharpness 15
Color 62
Tint 0 (neutral)

Dynamic Contrast Off
Color Gamut: Standard
Edge Enhancer Off
Color Filter: Off
Gamma 2.2

Color Temp: Warm1
Method: 2 points
Pattern: Outer
Points High
Red 0
Green 0
Blue 0

Under Color Management, all settings for all colors = zero (in other words, I didn't mess with them at all)

In Picture Option:

Noise reduction Off
MPGEG Noise reduction OFF
Black Level HIGH
Real Cinema: ON (if available)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 136 Old 12-18-2013, 12:33 PM

I've had my 50PN6500 about two weeks now and have tried every calibration suggestion mentioned in this thread without good results.  Blacks had no definition at all.  Then I tried some of the presets and found my solution.  I use the GAME preset to watch both TV and movies.  (I don't game)  I have found that this setting renders blacks the best allowing details to come through rather than the indiscernible black blotches I was getting before.  Not very techie I know, but it works for me.

post #93 of 136 Old 12-18-2013, 06:39 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjaixx View Post

Hey, I just found out those settings I posted above have crushed blacks so I re-calibrated and have settled on these settings. You can give them a try. I think it looks even better now.

Panel Light 90
Contrast 90
Brightness 52
H Sharpness 15
V Sharpness 15
Color 62
Tint 0 (neutral)

Dynamic Contrast Off
Edge Enhancer Off
Gamma 2.2

Color Temp: Warm1
Points High
Red 0
Green 0
Blue 0

Under Color Management, all settings for all colors = zero (in other words, I didn't mess with them at all)

In Picture Option:

Noise reduction Off
Black Level HIGH
Quote:
Originally Posted by studtrooper View Post

I'm having issues with that on my 60pn5500 myself. It's nearly impossible to get shadow detail in dark/night scenes without cranking the brightness/contrast way too up. Very disappointing honestly.

I just tried these and are you sure the Color Temp should be Warm1? and Black Level HIGH?

putting color temp at Warm1 as compared to Medium absolutely kills the whites on my set, making them jaundiced looking for lack of a better word. Put on a hockey game where the ice is to be fairly white and using Warm1 with these settings makes the ice fairly yellow tinted.

Black Level on High with these settings makes everything a bit washed out and the blacks are definitely too grey.

Otherwise if I use these exact settings changing the Color Temp to Medium and Black Level to LOW, I really like the picture and it is very similar to the previous settings you had posted, but the blacks are indeed less crushed. I'd personally rather have crushed blacks than a washed out looking picture or yellow tinting to the whites. But, that's just me and our sets may be different as not everyone's settings will produce the same results on different sets.

As far as using the GAME setting the previous poster indicated, I have found that is definitely the best PRESET on both this set and the PA6500, but better resutls can be found. Or, it may just be that's the type of picture you prefer seeing.
post #94 of 136 Old 12-19-2013, 12:21 PM

Hey, sorry yes, the black should be on "LOW", not HIGH.

I just switched to GAME preset just to see what kind of options there were for that one and found out I liked the Game ones even more. The whites are more white and the picture seems to pack more punch. I watched hockey and basketball last night and both gave great PQ. Give them a try and let me know.

Panel Light 100
Contrast 85
Brightness 52
Sharpness 16
Color 62
Tint 0 (neutral)

Dynamic Contrast Off
Edge Enhancer Off
Gamma Medium

Color Temp: 0 (no change)
Points High
Red 0
Green 0
Blue 0

In Picture Option:

Noise reduction Off
Black Level LOW
post #95 of 136 Old 12-20-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:

Hey, sorry yes, the black should be on "LOW", not HIGH.

I just switched to GAME preset just to see what kind of options there were for that one and found out I liked the Game ones even more. The whites are more white and the picture seems to pack more punch. I watched hockey and basketball last night and both gave great PQ. Give them a try and let me know.

MODE: GAME

Panel Light 100
Contrast 85
Brightness 52
Sharpness 16
Color 62
Tint 0 (neutral)

Dynamic Contrast Off
Edge Enhancer Off
Gamma Medium

Points High
Red 0
Green 0
Blue 0

In Picture Option:

Noise reduction Off
Black Level LOW

Sorry for all the flip flop, lol. But I found out that putting the black levels on LOW can crush some blacks as well.

So I re-calibrated using black levels on HIGH and got these, pretty satisfied with them:

Edit: changed the colour temp to W30 (left), gave me closer to the theatrical colours.

Mode: GAME (user)

Panel Light 100
Contrast 71
Brightness 44
Sharpness 16
Color 60
Tint 0 (neutral)

Dynamic Contrast Off
Edge Enhancer Off
Gamma Medium

Points High
Red 0
Green 0
Blue 0

In Picture Option:

Noise reduction Off
Black Level "HIGH"
post #96 of 136 Old 12-24-2013, 01:23 PM

Liked: 14

Slightly off topic. I just got this tv but I've always had just an old tube tv in my room. Now I need to get an hd dvr from directv. Does anybody know where I can get a cheaper one bc if I get it from directv it's $300.

post #97 of 136 Old 12-25-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbrokeaway View Post

I have noticed this exact thing as well.  I just got it and have seen the uniformity during the break in period (using color slides).  I thought I got a messed up set, I'm glad I saw your post.  With that said, I have noticed that they are fading.  I'm only on day 3 of the break in process, so still a couple more days to go.  I'll report back with the results.

My issue right now is with input lag...it's most likely in my head, because I'm sure my old TV had it too.  Who else games with this TV in game mode?  How do you like it?  For me, gaming with COD seems like there is 0 input lag, as where Gears of War seems sluggish, but maybe thats just the way GoW plays anyway.

Hey Max, after a few months and hundreds of hours later the uniformity issue is much less noticeable. I don't know what it is, maybe half-arsed panel coating? Anyway nothing remotely comparable to most LCDs, don't know how poeple put up with that.

I game on mine, heck, I exclusively game on mine, can't bring myself to go back at gaming on my primary monitor (27" Asus LED 2ms), except for rts games of course.
My pc is also my media centers, so I got both panels in the living room.

Anyway I noticed little to no lag, but if I output the exact same thing on both monitors the LG is definitely a little behind, so it's there.
post #98 of 136 Old 12-25-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS1970 View Post

I honestly can't answer that one, I'm sure someone with more tech knowledge than I could. My best guess is OPENELEC doesn't give you the ability to utilize this feature...here's what Real Cinema does from the PicturePerfect setup pages here on AVS:

"Whilst we would normally recommend turning your TV's picture features off, cadence detection is the exception to the rule and we suggest always leaving it on.

This feature is most commonly called Film Mode and it engages a process called cadence detection which helps when watching film based content on your TV. Cadence is used when converting film based content into video for TV broadcast or DVD. Your TV needs to detect this cadence and then correctly process it so that the content is shown without any artefacts or loss in picture resolution.

Some TVs only offer cadence detection when receiving an interlaced signal but when available we recommend leaving it on."
He guys you have to make sure your input whaterver it may be is at 24 fps, only way to turn on the Real Cinema setting on the tv.
If using a pc set the frequency to 24hz. If using a bluray player it should work automatically. If using a PS3 works, I tried.
I didn't notice any real improvement using it though... so if you don't bother you're not missing out on much, IMO.
post #99 of 136 Old 12-25-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:

Sorry for all the flip flop, lol. But I found out that putting the black levels on LOW can crush some blacks as well.

So I re-calibrated using black levels on HIGH and got these, pretty satisfied with them:

Edit: changed the colour temp to W30 (left), gave me closer to the theatrical colours.

Panel Light 100
Contrast 71
Brightness 44
CUT
Dynamic Contrast Off
CUT

Hey Jeff, using those settings don't your blacks look completely grey? I have mine at PL 90-C 90-B 45 and Black levels on LOW and still it's barely better than some LED sets I've seen.

I know LOW makes ya lose some details on shadows and dark scenes in general but it improves the blacks immensely ie still washed out but a lot better.

I said I was gonna manually calibrate by poppin the back open and whatnot but then I got pixel missfires on my set for a while (then it stopped) and thought I had to resort to warranty so I chickened out.
Hope the set finally goes to hell so I can replace it and then do the manual knobs thing to finally achieve decent black levels..
post #100 of 136 Old 12-27-2013, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarost2 View Post

Got this TV (50PN6500) a couple of months back and so far so good except with the inability to properly passthrough DTS audio from its optical port to the receiver when using a HDMI port. 

The peculiar thing is that it can output DTS just fine when using the integrated TV usb media player.

On the other hand Dolby Digital is fine on all inputs.

Read several threads here on AVS and it seems it is a HDMI HDCP issue. The solution on many of these threads is either connect everything first to the receiver (which I can not do since my Sony CT260 does not have a HDMI input and output ports) or go into the service menu and change the AC3 EDID D/L submenu from PCM to AC3.

So I went into to both the service menus(both IN-START and EZ-ADJUST) and the AC3 option does not appear on either.  Can anyone else confirm that this option is missing ?

And if so, is there any other option that does the same thing on this set? Since it is clearly a software issue (since using the media player the optical port passes DTS just fine), there should be an option (albeit really hidden)  to change the default behaviour.

Edit: Using firmware version 03.24.12

I'm having the same problem. Does any one have a solution?

post #101 of 136 Old 12-27-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGuitars View Post

Hey Jeff, using those settings don't your blacks look completely grey? I have mine at PL 90-C 90-B 45 and Black levels on LOW and still it's barely better than some LED sets I've seen.

I know LOW makes ya lose some details on shadows and dark scenes in general but it improves the blacks immensely ie still washed out but a lot better.

I said I was gonna manually calibrate by poppin the back open and whatnot but then I got pixel missfires on my set for a while (then it stopped) and thought I had to resort to warranty so I chickened out.
Hope the set finally goes to hell so I can replace it and then do the manual knobs thing to finally achieve decent black levels..

Hm, my blacks look okay but I usually game or watch TV with minimal lighting so that may play a factor.

Also, I'm using GAME mode for all my inputs to the TV, not expert 1 or 2 and switching the input label to "PC" to reduce input lag with these settings.

See if that helps.
post #102 of 136 Old 01-05-2014, 12:14 PM

I can't seem to access the Service Menu on my 60PN6500.

I'd like to see what firmware version I'm running.

Does anyone know how?

Mark

post #103 of 136 Old 01-05-2014, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplancke View Post

Does anyone know how?

Mark

Should be...., hit the settings button and then the (lower placed) red button ; (or both at the same time) and the service menu should pop up .

I miss my old Altec 1590 monoblocks ....
post #104 of 136 Old 01-05-2014, 02:52 PM

Tried your suggestions and still no go.
post #105 of 136 Old 01-05-2014, 04:09 PM

Would you recommend setting this tv set to Orbiter or normal mode? When I switch it to orbiter the whole picture appears to shift slightly to the left.

post #106 of 136 Old 01-05-2014, 07:46 PM

Yeah, can someone care to explain the differences between the options there?
post #107 of 136 Old 01-08-2014, 07:16 AM

Hi all, I purchased the LG 60" 60PN5000 from Walmart just before Christmas and after reading through this thread, I still have a few questions.

1. What mode should I set input "HDMI 2" to? HD-DVD, BluRay, PC, etc... I have my Xbox One/HD Directv DVR hooked up to this input.

2. Is there anyway to customize the input labels? For example, I would like to rename 'HDMI 2' to 'Xbox One'.

3. At the top of the remote, there is a button labeled A/V. When pressed, it sycles through options; Game, Cinema, Off. Should I leave it on "game" when doing anything through my Xbox One (playing game or watching TV)?

4. Should I set my aspect ratio to 16:9 or is there and auto setting that will set the proper aspect ratio depending on the source?

Thanks in advance for all help!
post #108 of 136 Old 01-10-2014, 07:39 AM

Liked: 11

Does anyone know the difference between this model and the PN5300?

post #109 of 136 Old 01-10-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montag View Post

Hi all, I purchased the LG 60" 60PN5000 from Walmart just before Christmas and after reading through this thread, I still have a few questions.

1. What mode should I set input "HDMI 2" to? HD-DVD, BluRay, PC, etc... I have my Xbox One/HD Directv DVR hooked up to this input.

2. Is there anyway to customize the input labels? For example, I would like to rename 'HDMI 2' to 'Xbox One'.

3. At the top of the remote, there is a button labeled A/V. When pressed, it sycles through options; Game, Cinema, Off. Should I leave it on "game" when doing anything through my Xbox One (playing game or watching TV)?

4. Should I set my aspect ratio to 16:9 or is there and auto setting that will set the proper aspect ratio depending on the source?

Thanks in advance for all help!

1. I have my PS4 / PS3 set to PC because I heard it helps to reduce input lag.

2. Not that I know of.

3. I think GAME setting would be the best for any console. Just put GAME mode on then calibrate using a disc.

4. When you put GAME mode on, use 16:9. If no GAME mode on, I just use JUST SCAN because it gives me the whole picture.
post #110 of 136 Old 01-11-2014, 09:07 AM

How bad is the glare on this, really? I've got an old (2007) 50" Panny plasma in my living room, and while there is some reflection, it's not terrible. We're looking to get a 60" 1080p set for an upgrade, and this looks like a steal. What do you guys think? Is the reflectiveness of this panel overstated (at least compared to another plasma without an AR filter)?
post #111 of 136 Old 01-18-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplancke View Post

Does anyone know how?

Mark

Mark, you can not access the menu buy going into settings the pressing the red button. You will have to look on LG's website for the latest firmware then download and copy to a usb memory stick. Then put the memory stick in the usb "in" on the tv. If you have the latest software I believe nothing will happen but if you don't you will get a pop up on the screen to update to the new firmware. The directions on how to do everything are listed above the firmware file download. It's really easy once you do it once. Hope this helps.

JR
post #112 of 136 Old 02-13-2014, 02:18 PM

I have a new 50pn6500 tv. I have a usb with videos that I know is working because I have a lg 60 Smart tv with and the flash drive works on that. When I put the usb into the 50pn6500 it recognizes the usb drive. But the only options are music and photos. Does anyone have videos working on this model tv? Thanks in advance.
post #113 of 136 Old 02-14-2014, 03:01 PM

Just picked up a 50PN6500 a couple of weeks ago. Wanting to avoid screen burn in for the first 100 hours or so, I have been watching dvd movies using the "Zoom" aspect ratio setting which filled the entire screen. Well, a couple of days ago, I noticed that there is now a single black bar at the bottom of the screen when watching the dvds. LG sent a tech who didn't really know anything about the set other than he could replace the main board. So, if anyone happens to have this model, could you please let me know if the zoom setting fills your screen when watching dvds?

THANKS for any thoughts or suggestions!!

post #114 of 136 Old 02-17-2014, 11:19 PM

would these settings be for the PN65 plasma tv? i am having trouble finding good settings for it.

Thanks for your time!!!!!!!!!!
post #115 of 136 Old 02-18-2014, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm pondering to buy PN6500. I currently have the 42G10E Panasonic, which is a great set(even with the degraded black levels after time). I'm kinda leaning towards the 60" version of this set because it's in my price range. The other alternative is the 50ST60E Panasonic. I'm sure the latter offers better pic quality but the LG gives me a whopping 60" which is what really attracts me.

The TV will be used for 1080p 70% of the time, rest of the time will be for PS3. I'm a casual gamer which gives me a dilemma concerning this set. I don't play FPS, I only play games like God Of War, Devil May Cry, Assasin's Creed, etc. which are fast paced, action games. Will this set give me an enjoyable experience with those types of games?

Can any of you kind folks give me some feedback? Should I go for size or quality?
post #116 of 136 Old 03-02-2014, 05:17 PM

Did anybody try and improve blacks on this using the pots inside with any great degree of success?
post #117 of 136 Old 03-06-2014, 07:20 PM

Just picked one of these up a few days ago on sale at Best Buy for $786 + tax (in Canada) and so far Im very impressed compared to my 50" Samsung PN50A650.
post #118 of 136 Old 03-08-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbasSi View Post

Just picked one of these up a few days ago on sale at Best Buy for $786 + tax (in Canada) and so far Im very impressed compared to my 50" Samsung PN50A650.
really? I got it for $669 this morning, though no one really has more than one or two in stock in the gta
post #119 of 136 Old 03-12-2014, 12:27 PM

Just received this TV but disappointed that there doesn't seem to be any audio outputs besides the optical audio output.  Am I missing something?  I'd like to hook up my tower speakers but there doesn't appear to be a way to do so.

post #120 of 136 Old 03-17-2014, 03:50 AM

I don't think you can normally connect a TV directly to the speakers. You need to connect it to your amplifier, which is done via hdmi or digital. If you have an older amplifier without these inputs you are out of luck (though I think even older ones should have digital in).

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 50 Inch Plasma Tv 50pa6500 , Lg 60 Inch Pa6500 Plasma Hdtv , Lg 50pv450 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P42x60 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Lg 50 Inch Plasma 50pv450c , Lg 50pa6500 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page