Official LG 50PN6500, 60PN6500 Owner's Thread (2013 1080p plasma series)... - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 135 Old 03-17-2014, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarost2 View Post

Got this TV (50PN6500) a couple of months back and so far so good except with the inability to properly passthrough DTS audio from its optical port to the receiver when using a HDMI port. 
The peculiar thing is that it can output DTS just fine when using the integrated TV usb media player.
On the other hand Dolby Digital is fine on all inputs.

Read several threads here on AVS and it seems it is a HDMI HDCP issue. The solution on many of these threads is either connect everything first to the receiver (which I can not do since my Sony CT260 does not have a HDMI input and output ports) or go into the service menu and change the AC3 EDID D/L submenu from PCM to AC3.

So I went into to both the service menus(both IN-START and EZ-ADJUST) and the AC3 option does not appear on either.  Can anyone else confirm that this option is missing ?

And if so, is there any other option that does the same thing on this set? Since it is clearly a software issue (since using the media player the optical port passes DTS just fine), there should be an option (albeit really hidden)  to change the default behaviour.

Edit: Using firmware version 03.24.12

Did you ever find a solution to this? I just got a 60PN6500 and also find that I cannot get 5.1 or DTS to passthrough the optical out to my reciever. I can't even figure out how to access the service menu to see if any adjustments can me made there.

I've had the TV for about a week and am pretty happy overall, except for this audio issue. Happy with the picture quality, especially for the price I paid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 135 Old 03-19-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdragan View Post

Did you ever find a solution to this? I just got a 60PN6500 and also find that I cannot get 5.1 or DTS to passthrough the optical out to my reciever. I can't even figure out how to access the service menu to see if any adjustments can me made there.

I've had the TV for about a week and am pretty happy overall, except for this audio issue. Happy with the picture quality, especially for the price I paid.

Unfortunately I haven't found any solution to this. After a couple more firmware upgrades the wanted option is still missing from the service menu.

Got another cheap LG 32LN5400 for the bedroom and while the menus/remote are identical to the PN6500, for that TV the AC3 D/L option is present in the service menu.

Still looking into it, but for the time being I have connected my media center pc through optical directly to the soundbar (for the DTS sound) and I'm using a ebay bought converter box to convert the TV optical output to analog and from there to the soundbar, since all the OTA channels are in stereo in my country.

As for the service menu you need a Harmony or some other type of universal remote control so as to program the correct IR codes.

More information here:  http://openlgtv.org.ru/wiki/index.php/Access_hidden_service_menus_/_modes

Edit:

I found some time today to tinker with some more things and read some more threads about this problem.

Good news is that is probably fixable, bad news is that it will not be easy.

In the EZ-Adjust Menu although the AC3 D/L option is missing, there is another one that allows the rewrite of the TV's EDID.

So all we need to do is to rewrite the EDID with one that allows AC3/DD/DTS passthrough.

Getting the original EDID is not a problem nor is writing it back to the TV, the problem is what to change to, so it allows the hdmi passthrough. My searches did not yield any definitive answer to the matter, but maybe someone else will be luckier.

Tomorrow I will set my other TV to allow the passthrough thru the hack, compare the before/after EDIDs with the one from the PN6500 and since the sets are pretty similar hopefully will be able to isolate what makes it tick.

post #123 of 135 Old 03-25-2014, 12:28 PM

FWIW, I did email LG support to ask if there was a way to passthrough 5.1 on the TV. The rep said that the TV will only passthrough 2.1. But I was tinkering with my set top box and noticed there was an audio output setting for surround (vs the default stereo). My reciever now recognizes the signal from the set top box (via the TV) as Dolby Digital (5.1). Prior to this I was only able to get Pro Logic.

I have a little Android box to stream media from a NAS I have (using XBMC) , I am still not able to get it to output 5.1 through the TV.
post #124 of 135 Old 03-30-2014, 03:34 PM

Liked: 11
Hey guys,

I've got an LG 50" PN6506 in august 2013 for a guest room in our house and now I am noticing that it shows white pixels while playing DVD content. This is accompanying with some static piping noise from the built-in speakers. This however do not happen with Bluray content, it is only with DVD. Changed player, etc. still the same, so it must be the TV. Anyone had similar issues?

Thanks much for any hints or suggestions, highly appreciated.

Wanted: M&K Sound MPS-2525P, SS-250P, MPS-2510P, S-150P
post #125 of 135 Old 04-01-2014, 08:16 PM

Liked: 12
Hi All, quick question for you. I just picked up one of these TVs and every time the screen changes, it flashes a green pixel in the mid-left section of the TV. It's bright and noticeable. Looks like a hot or stuck pixel, but always disappears after a second or so. Is this any sort of known problem, or will it go away?

Is there a way to map out intermittent hot pixels?
post #126 of 135 Old 04-24-2014, 02:36 PM

Liked: 12
Just wanted to report back here. I exchanged my TV and no longer have a stuck green pixel.

I think this TV is an incredible bargain, with good picture quality, extremely thin bezel, and a good looking stand (I hate those Samsung "spider" type ones).

For color modes, I use "Expert 1" with color temperature dialed back 2 notches to medium, it's REALLY warm untouched. Sharpness up a few points as well, and it's great to my eyes.

My sole complaint is it's fairly reflective, however I feel like I can't really complain about a $700 60" Plasma being a bit reflective. I'm very pleased.
post #127 of 135 Old 05-05-2014, 11:58 AM

Hello all, new to the forums. 

I'm looking to purchase a primary TV for my new condo. I've been using a 32" Vizio/bedroom TV, but that's obviously a temporary fix. The space really is most suited to a 47"-50" screen.

I picked up a 55" Samsung LCD (refurb) off Walmart for $598 + tax, and it just arrived. It's nice, but it's a tad big for the space, and I'm still very nervous about Walmart in general, and refurbs. Plus, at $650, it really is stretching the budget, especially with those two previous factors.

Dell.com has the LG 50PN6500 for $549, which comes out to $601 with tax and free shipping. I have one of those AMEX Statement Credit offers for $100 off $600, so I could pick up this TV for $501 out the door to my door. I am not a TV connoisseur by any means, and neither is my fiancee. We mostly watch TV shows and movies, and I watch football during NFL season. We almost exclusively watch TV at night, and even during the day, we have the ability to lightproof the room pretty well, so brightness/glare isn't a huge concern for me.

I'm a little concerned about buying a 2013 model halfway through 2014, with the rate at which prices plummet and technology increases, but $500 for a quality 50" seems like a good price. Any advice, from those that have this unit?

Thanks!

post #128 of 135 Old 05-15-2014, 04:11 AM

I've had the 50PN650T for 2 days now. Picked it up for £460, and it's a quite incredible TV for the money. The only issue I have with it is the reflection. It's a beautiful looking mirror when it's switched off, but a bit of a pain during daylight hours. Luckily, I can pretty much look past the reflection when the TV's on, so it doesn't bug me too much. I'm mainly an evening viewer, so I can live with it.

The SD on it is pretty poor for plasma, but that's a comparison with a 2007 £1800 Pioneer Kuro I also have, so it's not really a fair comparison, however the inbuilt HD tuner is fantastic. I'm seeing the odd bit of rough edging around large letters, but I'm still fiddling with the picture settings to see what works best. SKY HD is also very good.

Sound quality is surprisingly good, with fairly decent bass without it waking the neighbours. The TV has no separate bass and treble controls which is a bit poor, but I can't see it being much of an issue.

The inbuilt USB media player has played everything I've thrown at it so far, which the Panasonic and (far more expensive) Sony model I road tested in store wouldn't do. Football looks fantastic on it. When I was road testing, the 50PN650T was the only TV that would process football properly without the most terrible motion blur. The Panasonic and LG LEDs were shocking. Couldn't try the Sony as it wouldn't play the football from my USB stick. Just as well it was way out of my budget.

Blu-ray playback is what I would describe as being on par with being at the cinema. The picture is incredibly natural, with just the right amount of grain in darker scenes to make you think you were at your local multiplex. I put the first Transformers film on (would've been rude not to), and I was blown away.

Haserfauld, if you can get this set for $500, go for it. That's cheap as chips, and it will be the best decision you've ever made. Without venturing in to 4K territory, I really don't think there's anything better out there, especially if you like your sport. LEDs at twice the price still can't cope with fast moving images.

post #129 of 135 Old 05-23-2014, 06:44 AM

As a new owner of the 50PN6500, I wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone has any updated suggestions as it relates to calibrating this TV. I've been playing with the settings, trying out many of the scenarios here but haven't quite figured it out yet. Seems when I get close, the skin tones are still "off".

Had to pull the trigger for a deal on this TV due to great price and my former Samsung LCD having display issues. At $540 with free shipping, this was a no brainer based on reviews and other options available. Fluid motion with sports and movies was critical for me and I wasn't thrilled with the LED options in this price range. I will admit, getting used to a "dimmer" plasma has been an adjustment, but I'm well aware this is because LCDs tend to be extremely bright so I'm now viewing a more accurate picture.

Surprisingly, the Disney WOW disc I've seen recommended was not helpful at all. I never got the sense things were set right using the tests on this.

All that said, I do feel this TV has great PQ and ultimately I just need to figure out where the sweet spot is. Thanks in advance!
post #130 of 135 Old 06-02-2014, 06:52 AM

Hi

I posted this in official UN60FH6003 forum too. Maybe anyone form here can help me.

I'm planning to buy a new TV. I don't really care about smart or 3D.

I have these two TV’s in mind:

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-60PN6500-60-Inch-Plasma/dp/B00BBAG0FM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401674315&sr=8-1&keywords=60Pn6500

and

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN60FH6003-60-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00EE0Y7WY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401674344&sr=8-1&keywords=Un60Fh6003

What would you recommend me to buy? Or are there suggestion to a different TV?

my budget is 1000$USD

Thanks.
post #131 of 135 Old 08-07-2014, 01:33 PM

I've read this tv has pretty substantial lag for video games...how does everyone else feel in real world settings?

I want this tv but that scares me off
post #132 of 135 Old 08-10-2014, 02:57 AM

Liked: 0
Hi, I've got a LG 60" 60PN6500 which I've had for about 8 months now, but for the last 3 weeks, it turns itself on thou only at late night/early morning..
It happens without fail every night, and quite a few times, I've gone and turned it off, turned around and start to walk away, and before I even make it back to my bedroom, it's already turned itself back on again.
I've searched for threads having the same issue with this brand and model, but I can't seem to find anyone that has the same issue with this product..
Can someone PLEASE HELP ME Figure this out, as it's scaring my children because they think that their must be ghosts in the house doing it😕
post #133 of 135 Old 08-11-2014, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hey Guys,

I am considering this LG 50PN650T but would like to know if you guys have experienced the soap opera effect with this model? LG told me it is not possible to turn off TruMotion on their LG plasma, however, I saw on this thread that someone put "TruMotion - Off" in a setting description.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Jo
post #134 of 135 Old 08-12-2014, 12:35 AM

Anyone guys?

Thanks,
Jo
post #135 of 135 Old 08-12-2014, 12:18 PM

Up
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 50 Inch Plasma Tv 50pa6500 , Lg 60 Inch Pa6500 Plasma Hdtv , Lg 50pv450 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P42x60 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Lg 50 Inch Plasma 50pv450c , Lg 50pa6500 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page