Samsung F8505 8 28.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-16-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi i recently bought a panasonic zt60 on down payment, But i am getting second thoughts now, When i read about the samsung plasma which is about 2000$ cheaper in sweden. I come from trinitron crts and i am EXTREMELY picky with picture i want the best possible picture. I used to own a sony gdm fw900 and it was the best monitor i have ever owned it sadly died last year.

I am now using a panasonic old 28 inch crt and despite it's age it is still a great tv, But i want to go to a flatscreen and since i hate led so much i decided to go for plasma. Since i am a big fan of japanese technology i looked at sony first then found out that panasonic is the leading brand on plasma screens

i had earlier decided to get a vt50 then i found out about the zt60 which i knew i didn't want to buy due to it's price i got it anyway on down payment

so my question is did i do the right choice if i want best picture quality

i will use it mainly for movies in a completely dark room no day time tv watching aswell as gaming through both consoles and a gaming pc with a gtx 580 graphics card (steambox was one of the main reasons i was inspired to get a new tv)

i then found out that the samsung being alot cheaper is actually better then the zt60

did i do the right choice to buy the zt60 or was it a complete waste of money compared to for example vt series or the samsung?

i want the best possible picture quality in basically everything i paid this much to get the best tv you can buy that costs under 10 000$

please note i have not gotten a chance to see the zt60 yet it will likely be deliverd end of this month according to the store
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-16-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 468
What about the VT60? I would probably get that if all the viewing was "dark room"...
post #3 of 14 Old 05-16-2013, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

i wen't withthe zt60 due to the picture quality

day time quality dosn't matter too me sure i can maybe try to watch tv at day some day but i don't care about quality in a lit room as i want the best possible quality at night when i'll be watching my movies and playing my games

i probably shouldn't have made this thread as i don't want to regret my choice i wantedthe best possible quality
post #4 of 14 Old 05-16-2013, 11:02 PM

Liked: 11
Because of the dark room and gaming usage, ZT60 is the right choice for you.
IMHO, F8500 is best for bright room conditions, e.g: in the living room.

It's basically 2 main difference really..
For best black in dark room, choose ZT60.
For best brightness in bright room, choose F8500.
CMIIW. smile.gif
post #5 of 14 Old 05-16-2013, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlix View Post

Because of the dark room and gaming usage, ZT60 is the right choice for you.
IMHO, F8500 is best for bright room conditions, e.g: in the living room.

It's basically 2 main difference really..
For best black in dark room, choose ZT60.
For best brightness in bright room, choose F8500.
CMIIW. smile.gif

It's what Ph8te said above, for dark room viewing the VT60 would be best, The filter on the ZT60 is for bright lights and the black level is about the same as the VT60.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05 Receivers
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
NHT VT-2.4 Surround System
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
post #6 of 14 Old 05-16-2013, 11:47 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

It's what Ph8te said above, for dark room viewing the VT60 would be best, The filter on the ZT60 is for bright lights and the black level is about the same as the VT60.

Oh, I'm basing my opinion for ZT60 vs. F8500.
For ZT60 vs. VT60.. well.. that's another can of worms.. tongue.gif

But yeah, VT60 is a better option for most people.
For The 1% where money is not a problem and The "always-buy-the-flagship-products", they will pick ZT60.
Who knows, maybe their 100% black-out curtain will need to be dry-cleaned once every year, and thus will benefit from the better ZT60 filter just in couple of days? tongue.gif J/K.. biggrin.gif
post #7 of 14 Old 05-16-2013, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
^Or maybe they want a flagship that will keep them satisfied until OLED finally surfaces. wink.gif
post #8 of 14 Old 05-17-2013, 12:27 AM

I am getting my 64" F8505 delivered today, had same kind of "problem" than you ZT or S. My living room is quite bright, Samsung's design suits better for me as it has no high stand, it is available already and cheaper. In the end easy piece of cake.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-17-2013, 04:56 AM

Liked: 22
He plays games, so Samsung is out by default. This is why I can't consider an 8500 either and I am VT/ZT

The only reason I am going ZT is my bright room and a bit of maybe the same vibe the OP has: coming from a 27" CRT myself actually and I feel a bit of a "Go Big or Go Home" for my big splash into HD..wink.gif

That said, VT sounds to me like a way to save cash and not actually sacrifice much, if any, performance!
post #10 of 14 Old 09-13-2013, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by praktik View Post

He plays games, so Samsung is out by default. This is why I can't consider an 8500 either and I am VT/ZT

The only reason I am going ZT is my bright room and a bit of maybe the same vibe the OP has: coming from a 27" CRT myself actually and I feel a bit of a "Go Big or Go Home" for my big splash into HD..wink.gif

That said, VT sounds to me like a way to save cash and not actually sacrifice much, if any, performance!

So you mean for games (Xbox One or PS4 which I plan to buy for my son) Samsung plasma f8505 is not a good option but VT or ZT is fine. Does that mean even Samsung LEDs are not good for games either?
post #11 of 14 Old 11-11-2013, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLO! View Post

So you mean for games (Xbox One or PS4 which I plan to buy for my son) Samsung plasma f8505 is not a good option but VT or ZT is fine. Does that mean even Samsung LEDs are not good for games either?

Is your son a "hardcore gamer"?(competitive gamer)

If so, the best option for gaming is actually computer monitors. Sure their picture quality isn't always the best, but it has response times that are like night and day. And if you are competitive, it is EXTREMELY important.
I'm highly experienced when it comes to gaming, as that is what I do.
However, obviously a larger screen is more immersive, but plasmas and larger LED's/LCD's have VERY high input lag. You may not notice, but if you are discerning and have gaming experience, it makes a significant difference.
Either way, I would buy a TV for image quality, and a separate low input lag computer monitor for gaming if possible.

This may be totally not what you are going for, I just thought it might be helpful to know if you had never heard this before.

Pioneer Elite SC-25/Marantz SR6007
Atlantic Technology 2200 7 channel setup
Reaction Audio PS215X (booya!)
Panasonic 65" ZT60
Oppo BDP-105
post #12 of 14 Old 11-11-2013, 04:28 AM

Appreciate your input Player3 :-)
post #13 of 14 Old 11-11-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLO! View Post

Appreciate your input Player3 :-)

My pleasure, let me know if you have any more questions regarding that, and I'd be happy to help!

Pioneer Elite SC-25/Marantz SR6007
Atlantic Technology 2200 7 channel setup
Reaction Audio PS215X (booya!)
Panasonic 65" ZT60
Oppo BDP-105
post #14 of 14 Old 11-12-2013, 12:23 AM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlix View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

Oh, I'm basing my opinion for ZT60 vs. F8500.
For ZT60 vs. VT60.. well.. that's another can of worms.. tongue.gif

But yeah, VT60 is a better option for most people.
For The 1% where money is not a problem and The "always-buy-the-flagship-products", they will pick ZT60.
Who knows, maybe their 100% black-out curtain will need to be dry-cleaned once every year, and thus will benefit from the better ZT60 filter just in couple of days? tongue.gif J/K.. biggrin.gif

In the TC situation, I would buy VT. As others have stated, Samsung has higher input lag. If TC is planning to watch only in the dark, VT will be just as good as ZT according to most reviews. However, it does not mean that ZT is not worth the extra cost over VT for some people. ZT is a more versatile TV. For me, improved bright room performance was worth $600 that I paid over VT. I do majority of my serious watching in the dark, but I still watch plenty of TV during day when my room is quite bright. I tried curtains with my previous tv, but I found it depressing and inconvenient to sit in a dark room during a day. For me, having a flagship model is just a bonus. biggrin.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page