Which new Plasma would you buy for watching Hockey? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-16-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Trying to start a list of which TV everyone is thinking about purchasing in which Hockey is a frequent viewing experience.
I was leaning towards the F8500 but the gaming lag has me worried that my occasional video game (sports) playing would be horrible. Would love to hear from people that own the VT60 what their thoughts were on hockey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-16-2013, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 627
In my experience, gaming lag is really overrated for things that aren't hyper-sensitive in terms of timing. Your experience may vary, but I'd think it wouldn't much matter for Madden or FIFA or somesuch.

I don't watch hockey, but find the appearance of it adequate on my VT50. I suspect, however, that hockey would be most satisfying on an F8500 and by a pretty good margin. The extra brightness is going to just be nice on something that white.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #3 of 8 Old 05-16-2013, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Go LED if hockey is your top priority
post #4 of 8 Old 05-24-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzal1122 View Post

Trying to start a list of which TV everyone is thinking about purchasing in which Hockey is a frequent viewing experience.
I was leaning towards the F8500 but the gaming lag has me worried that my occasional video game (sports) playing would be horrible. Would love to hear from people that own the VT60 what their thoughts were on hockey

What does watching Hockey have to do with gaming lag?

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
post #5 of 8 Old 05-24-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzal1122 View Post

i have the f8500, and for most gaming i didn't really notice any lag. FPS were fine anyway. i haven't tried with NHL13 yet. where it did present a small problem was with kinect. switching to PC mode basically solved my problems.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #6 of 8 Old 05-24-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post

because LED's are so good at handling the fast action in a hockey game...

LED might do a great job of making a white screen, but that's about it. i'm sure with his concerns of input lag for gaming, it's not going to be a one-trick pony. it's just that he's already confirmed the picture quality of the top plasmas(f8500, and vt60 seemed to be the decision) and he's trying to use his needs to help decide.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #7 of 8 Old 05-24-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleM View Post

What does watching Hockey have to do with gaming lag?

http://www.ign.com/games/nhl-13/ps3-128181

???

smile.gif

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #8 of 8 Old 05-24-2013, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post

No. This is inaccurate. I watch probably 3-5 hockey games a week during the NHL season and own a PDP and have 0 issues with the ABL/dirty whites, etc.

I agree with the above notion about the F8500, that's a spectacular FP and one that should be at the top of your list if it fits the budget. I play quite a bit of sports games as well on my PZ950, which is rated close to 30-35ms for input lag (which isn't too terribly good) & I've never experienced any issues with input lag.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Lg Infinia 60pz950 Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page