CANT WATCH VIDEO THROUGH USB DRIVE ON LG 50pj350 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-19-2013, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everybody
i am hoping somebody can help me as regards the above model.............i have seen a lot of fixes for LG's but not one specific to this model which i presume as i bought it in the UK is a European one.

Present firmware is epak 3.21.0 ................usb only supports pictures and audio.

I would describe my computer ability level as low to medium.........i can download follow basic instructions and have a USB flash drive.

Thanks for any help in advance

Cheers Bill:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-19-2013, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 97
This display does not natively support video playback via USB. I would not advise flashing different firmware, as you may "brick" the TV and require a replacement main board.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-19-2013, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Cheers for the reply and warning...............a lot of talk of V3,15.00 being the solution but i was afraid to try it as i wasnt sure that was ever used on the PJ series...............i guess what baffles me most is why in an ultra competitive market LG would disable this function on so many of their TV's.

I think i might just ask them as i joined their official site in my quest to get round this................i will post their answer on here.

Our main TV is a 60" Samsung LED and that works perfectly with USB movies.............so it cant be a legal thing......................so why would LG cut their own throat?confused.gif
post #4 of 5 Old 05-19-2013, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 97
It is a legal thing, they have to pay about $5 per television sold for the patents on the MPEG-4 (H264) and AVC-1 codecs, which are the ones used mainly for videos these days. In addition, they would need a more powerful video engine chipset, so there's no guarantee your TV is even physically capable of it.

Most devices you buy, like computers with Windows preinstalled license these patents, which is included in the cost of the computer. A retailer would have a good day if they made $10 on each TV they sell (most of it is made off accessories, warranties, etc.) So $5 is a big deal.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-19-2013, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for the info............its wall mounted in the bedroom and hooked up to DVD.............so i guess i will just have to buy some re writable discs and put the films straight from the computer on to them rather than my USB,..............so not the end of the world.

I would happily give LG 10 or even $20 if they would give me a firmware update that would support USB Video............but as you say the tv may not.............its not as if it was a top of the range model when i bought it.

Saying that of the half dozen flat screen TV's i have bought it has by far the best picture

Thanks again for your time

Regards Bill

P.S...........will still contact LG direct and post their take on it.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 50 Inch Plasma 50pv450c , Lg 50pj350 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page