How do I get BBC iPlayer for my LG Plasma Smart TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-19-2013, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a way to get iPlayer working on the LG PM6700 (it has the latest firmware update).

I live in Canada and I use UnblockUS which allows me to watch BBC with iPlayer installed on my computer which feeds my 50PM6700 with video. I want to use the PM6700 only but I can't use the built-in web browser because it won't update flash to the version compatible with iPlayer and I can't find iPlayer in the LG Apps. I have searched all over the internet for information about how I can get iPlayer for the PM6700 or other model of LG Smart TV but haven't found anything useful. I am wondering if I install the UK model (670T version) firmware if that will, 1. Damage the PM6700; 2. Enable getting iPlayer from LG Apps.

50PM6700
60PM6700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-19-2013, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Will the LG even let you tunnel through a VPN, or is that done on your router?

Installing the 670T firmware is likely to result in a TV that either won't work at all, or won't work on cable/antenna, because in the UK, the DVB-T signal is different to the digital ATSC in the US.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-19-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

There's 3 DNS numbers I've entered into my router which enables any computer, TV, etc., to appear as though it is in the U.K., U.S., Australia, Canada, and other places. The UnblockUS website has a setup page which is used to designate the country to appear as. I use U.K. and a U.K. postal code for the BBC. Even though I have set it up for U.K., I am also able to receive HULU and PBS.org without changing it to U.S. I used that setup to download iPlayer and use it on my computers. The LG firmware/software doesn't allow any downloading of updates for flash to enable iPlayer to run on the LG HDTV's web browser and iPlayer doesn't appear in the list of LG Apps. I am willing to forego OTA/Cable for iPlayer if the U.K. firmware could be installed without disabling anything else.

50PM6700
60PM6700
post #4 of 8 Old 05-19-2013, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

I can't guarantee it will work at all and you risk bricking your TV, but I'm not going to stop you trying...
P.S. Us in the UK foot the bill for iPlayer, so buy the odd DVD from the Beeb will you? tongue.gif
post #5 of 8 Old 05-19-2013, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know if I will install the U.K. firmware, I will try to get the source code for the U.K. and the Canadian/U.S. versions and compare them to determine if there's any difference and, if there is, what it may be.

I know you pay a yearly licensing fee for the BBC. I think it is the right way to support "public" television, rather than through tax subsidies, donations and advertising, which is not dependable and subject to political and business interference. In Canada, we pay for the CBC, our national "public" television network is paid for by taxes and adverts. I just watched Eurovision 2013, the first time I have, and was impressed by the production and singing ability of the participants but not that much by the actual material. The barefoot cutie from Denmark singing the monotous pop song, Only Teardrops, won - predictable and borderline plagiarism http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HaRTc_eX_E.

50PM6700
60PM6700
post #6 of 8 Old 05-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know how you intend to compare the files, as they are probably compressed and even a slight change will affect the whole file.

Eurovision is a joke, but at least we came ahead of Ireland... I think the UK has won once.

You don't have to pay a license fee in the UK if you only watch iPlayer, however, you do if you intend to watch live TV through any means -- via the internet, satellite, cable, or OTA Freeview.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-19-2013, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

I thought that LG is required to provide the Linux source code it uses for its firmware. If that's available, that's what I'll compare.

I only watch iPlayer content as real time content I want to watch is too many hours ahead of where I am located.

I hope that the U.K.'s Eurovision year-to-year performance doesn't emulate that of the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey team - abysmal.

50PM6700
60PM6700
post #8 of 8 Old 05-20-2013, 12:30 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, they do indeed provide the Linux kernel code, which they have modified for their TV. But they have no requirement to provide the userland, which is the interface and smart functionality that you see, as it is an entirely separate portion, with no open source code in it at all.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 50 Inch Plasma 50pv450c , Lg Electronics 60 Inch Plasma , Lg 60 Inch Plasma 60pa550c
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page