AVS Forum banner
8K views 43 replies 20 participants last post by  tubetwister 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm fairly new to the world of plasma, started with an LG PA5500, and was plauged by "moving dots"( they move even on still images) all over the screen and odd artifacting, got rid of the LG and got a 60" ST60 and the dot problem is much much worse,

http://s42.photobucket.com/user/iceman0124/media/pana/20130519_205405.jpg.html

http://s42.photobucket.com/user/iceman0124/media/pana/20130519_205420.jpg.html

http://s42.photobucket.com/user/iceman0124/media/pana/20130519_205516.jpg.html

http://s42.photobucket.com/user/iceman0124/media/pana/20130519_205504.jpg.html

The above is from the Amazing Spiderman blue ray (it actually looks worse in person but this conveys the gist of the problem) , pretty much any dimly lit to dark scene you can see these dots moving around clearly from my normal viewing area wich is 11 feet away....just finished watching the latest episode of Hannibal and it looked terrible.....

Bottom line, in the world of plasma is this acceptable and par for the course? If not, should I try an exchange or opt for a repair attempt? On my Lg the dots werent near as visible from normal viewing distance byt still a distraction, also on the LG I had a small area about 1/4 inch around the screen that was devoid of these dots which I found odd, and what prompted me to try and get it fixed in the fist place.

Thanks!

See less See more
#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316  /t/1473522/panasonic-st60-is-this-normal#post_23347315

Since they are most likely not an authorized dealer does that mean Panasonic won't honor the warranty? I know with some companies you would be SOL when purchasing through non authorized dealers but not sure what Panasonic's take on it is.

I dont believe that will ahve any impact on the manufactuer warranty, this has been discussed a few times recently. The problem you'll have is that you ahve to go through Panasonic now instead of the retailer...

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316  /t/1473522/panasonic-st60-is-this-normal#post_23347315

Since they are most likely not an authorized dealer does that mean Panasonic won't honor the warranty? I know with some companies you would be SOL when purchasing through non authorized dealers but not sure what Panasonic's take on it is.

Panasonic will honor the warranty as long as the TV was bought through a legitimate retailer and you have a legitimate sales receipt in your possession that you can show the repair man and/or fax to Panasonic.

#29 ·
Whats the source material? Direct blu ray? OTA, Blu Ray rip on your network etc?

The first couple pictures you posted looked pretty normal, seemed like brightness was to high/source may have been a bit compressed causing them to be a bit more apparent

The other few you posted do look kind of severe.

All plasmas pixels dance, it can be quite apparent from 3-4 feet away, but from recommended distance it should not be a problem. I have however had a similar issue with my first Panasonic GT25, I could see the screen "Moving/shifting" even from normal viewing distance, however I hated so many things about that TV i never got a chance to adjust it so it could have been due to it being in the standard setting.

While I think its possibel you have an issue, im not 100% convinced its not something other than the TV.. What testing/steps have you done other than a spiderman video you posted pictures of

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1473522/panasonic-st60-is-this-normal#post_23347267

AlltimeTVs dot com is a horrible bottom feeder of a company. They seem to be affiliated with or owned by the same people as EastCoasTVs dot com which is equally horrible. They both post overly glowing fake reviews on ResellerRatings.com to lure people into their trap. They've both been discussed here before. You should post a long detailed negative review on RSR about their misleading "white glove" delivery and their change of attitude when you called them about your problem.

This should be a lesson for all bargain hunters - "The Best Price Usually Is NOT The Best Deal".

I bought from them because they had it in stock and the price difference on the larger and smaller version didnt jive, Amazon, BB, TD and the other usuaual suspects were backordered, LG bought back my old set so I had to send that in ASAP and didnt want to wait.

Quote:

As stated in multiple threads Panasonic already sent someone to evaluate, he deems the set "unwatchable" and now its wait to hear back from Panasonic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195  /t/1473522/panasonic-st60-is-this-normal#post_23347348

Whats the source material? Direct blu ray? OTA, Blu Ray rip on your network etc?

The first couple pictures you posted looked pretty normal, seemed like brightness was to high/source may have been a bit compressed causing them to be a bit more apparent

The other few you posted do look kind of severe.

All plasmas pixels dance, it can be quite apparent from 3-4 feet away, but from recommended distance it should not be a problem. I have however had a similar issue with my first Panasonic GT25, I could see the screen "Moving/shifting" even from normal viewing distance, however I hated so many things about that TV i never got a chance to adjust it so it could have been due to it being in the standard setting.

While I think its possibel you have an issue, im not 100% convinced its not something other than the TV.. What testing/steps have you done other than a spiderman video you posted pictures of
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattf0124  /t/1473522/panasonic-st60-is-this-normal#post_23346821

Mine does it on EVERYTHING, its apparant on the slides from Dnice, and its there on the built in test patterns in the sets service menu, every source its there, on bright colors its not very noticeable but dark colors and shadow detail etc look horrific.....the pics in the thread look much better than it actually is, the dots are a bright green and move very rapidly which make them stand out like a sore thumb from very far away.....you cant help but notice them, on dark scenes they stand out more than the actual picture.

I had a service guy come check it out and he said something is very wrong and it shouldnt be doing that to that extreme, he was the one who pulled up the SM test patterns, he also brought in his own HD DVD player and cables to rule out my equipment and it didnt help.....the only way to lessen it is to crush the black levels and thats no solution, he adjusted various voltages and while that changed the beahvoir of the dots it didnt lessesn them.....he took a bunch of photos, tested my outlets (which all the electric from my outlets to the inside and outside breaker box for my apartment were replaced less than 6 months ago), he's going to get back to me once he hears back from Panasonic, he deems the set "unwatchable" in its current state , he has owned several plasma sets over the years and has worked on lord knows how many and he has never seen it that bad.

http://s42.photobucket.com/user/iceman0124/media/pana/DSCN0601.jpg.html

http://s42.photobucket.com/user/iceman0124/media/pana/DSCN0595.jpg.html

Tried getting better images truly showing the problem and I cant, the first image of the above is closest to what it looks like at 12 feet away....and it looks much worse in person, as the dots are much brighter and in constant rapid motion....and again its on everything from blue ray to cable to intenal software to intenal test images in the service menu....if the set is on ....its there...

All the asnwers to your questions are in that post

#32 ·
Another issue I'm having is semi frequent screen breakup...where for a split second the screen semi pixelates....I've seen it before on just about every set I've had but its usually a very rare occurance...something I notice once every few months or so, since I've had the ST60 anything with multiple fast action sequences I'll see it a dozen times or so in a single movie....is that normal for this set?

I first noticed it watching Cars2 , it happended very often in that movie, I recently suffered through the lates Resident Evil movie and noticed it about half a dozen times in it. Both those movies were cable on demand, so that could be part of it, when I get a chance I'm going to look for it on DVD/BR.

Still havent heard back from panasonic on the main issue, I'll update as I know....anyone else with similar problems please let me know.

#33 ·
My TV has dither too. Noticeably in dark scenes and shows artifacts...

Now this was commented on in Judge Dredd reviews when watching 2D. What I was watching. It's rarer in other sources and Blu rays.

So now you got me going OMG OMG My TV is broke.

So this post is pretty problematic, as I have no idea what is normal and what is broken.

My TV looks great otherwise so I guess I'll just say it's fine, but seriously man whatever you have I have and well now im scared... like really scared.

#34 ·
Guys I am so glad I found this thread. This is the same issue I am having straight out of the box. I was calling it "noise" on the screen. I am coming from a 2005 commercial Panni 7U which never gave me trouble.

Well I called Panasonic and eventually after an hour on the phone, they sent out a service tech. Now he is directly from Panasonic. He proceeds to change channels and say the set is fine. I continue to show him that it's not the feed by going into the ehelp area. He still thinks the set is fine. He never put any test equipment on it or anything. The tech was useless and said all sets are like that go to BB and look. REALLY??

Here is a pic of my issue which is the same as yours.

I have already arranged to return this tv, but I am not sure if I should purchase another one? I love Plasma and I have not had anything else.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccapozzoli  /t/1473522/panasonic-st60-is-this-normal/30#post_23455779

Guys I am so glad I found this thread. This is the same issue I am having straight out of the box. I was calling it "noise" on the screen. I am coming from a 2005 commercial Panni 7U which never gave me trouble.

Well I called Panasonic and eventually after an hour on the phone, they sent out a service tech. Now he is directly from Panasonic. He proceeds to change channels and say the set is fine. I continue to show him that it's not the feed by going into the ehelp area. He still thinks the set is fine. He never put any test equipment on it or anything. The tech was useless and said all sets are like that go to BB and look. REALLY??

Here is a pic of my issue which is the same as yours.

I have already arranged to return this tv, but I am not sure if I should purchase another one? I love Plasma and I have not had anything else.

Where did you purchase your set?

#37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1473522/panasonic-st60-is-this-normal#post_23347267

AlltimeTVs dot com is a horrible bottom feeder of a company. They seem to be affiliated with or owned by the same people as EastCoasTVs dot com which is equally horrible. They both post overly glowing fake reviews on ResellerRatings.com to lure people into their trap. They've both been discussed here before. You should post a long detailed negative review on RSR about their misleading "white glove" delivery and their change of attitude when you called them about your problem.

This should be a lesson for all bargain hunters - "The Best Price Usually Is NOT The Best Deal".

Does AVS maintain a list of recommended authorized Pannasonic plasma dealers or a list of dealers to avoid?

#38 ·
Ok, now that is interesting. I just got myself a brand new ST60, european model. And I see the shimmering you're talking about on very clear scenes, those showing white or gray colors. I'm not sure if I should talk about "shimmering" or "noise" but that "noise is moving" at least that's my perception.

The funny thing is that I perceive a very disturbing flickering in some scenarios too... But apparently I'm the only one ^^

Had a tech come over and despite showing the shimmering, he thinks the set is fine, saying it's in line with manufacturer specs. Since this is my first Plasma I'm kind of disapointed. Is it really what to expect from a Plasma TV ? What should I do ?

#39 ·
That is exactly what the Panni rep said to me. He could see what I was showing him, but said all sets do this. Can you describe better your flickering and even post some pics if possible? I really think this is an issue and even though I have has plasma for over 8 years, I think I am going to LED.

#40 ·
So there are two things:

1: What I would call shimmering (you guys refer to that as dithering I think). It's basically noise moving around in some portion of the picture. Noise that I could see on white/gray surfaces (walls, skies, etc) even being far away from the TV set.

2: Second there's a flickering. Essentially I see the image trembling in some conditions like :

-displaying the Windows desktop of my Media Center (1080p etc.)

-Displaying the GUI of my set top box

-Going in some specific app from the TV set like the painting one.

I'm not sure there's a point in taking pictures since you'll always be told that those sets are to be watched within a certain distance (!)

#43 ·
Hey guys,

So I sent back the ST60. Tech came and said it was normal. I said it was crap. End of the story. I took a LED Sony W8... and no more flickering. No more Plasma though

Very disappointed anyway by my attempt at purchasing a Panasonic TV set. I attempted calibrating but I didn't see any progress during the 72 hours I let it ran.

Cheers.

#44 ·
I have a Toshiba LCD LED in my B/room that shows dithering like that occasionally but not near as pronounced and you have I have 2 to be close about 2-4 ft from screen to see it on Dish HD signal from 722K dvr it can vary with the program but in my case at least I believe it is partly the source .

Also see it occasionally on the big plasma but not often and you have to be close . don't see it on much BD or DVD. All panels will dither to some extent but yours looks a little more pronounced than I would prefer that would make me want to return the set also if they couldn't fix it and I could determine it was not the source. Glad got a new Sony and don't have that symptom anyway those W8XX sets are very good .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.