Panasonic TC-65PS64 and TC-50PS64 ~OWNER'S POLL~ - Page 16 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Are you glad overall that you bought the PanasonicTC-xxPS64?
Yes, totally glad. 22 88.00%
No, I regret it. 0 0%
I'm ambivalent. Serious doubts. 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #451 of 768 Old 09-06-2013, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sorry guys, I have not been around lately. I have been busy enjoying my new Plasma which doesn't shut itself down every 10 minutes. That's what my 2008 Elite was doing near the end.

My Pioneer Pro 1150HD was great right ut of the box and even better after a pro calibration. I cant afford or even justify a calibration for my 620usd Panny.
But I can tell you this: The set gets better and better each and every day it ages. Its like a fine wine. The reflection is still not all that great. That will never change unless I might buy one of those 100+ dollar custom made stick on AR screens.

I am toying with that idea.

I am trying to get Turbe to take over and post my Noob guides and FAQ on Calibrations Forum because I feel my work s done. I have no desire or intention to maintain that FAQ. So I should not be the one to post it. I have all the info posted in the last few pages in this thread. There is nothing else.

I think the noob Guides and FAQ should be of great help once they are formatted better and edited. I worked on a better (hopefully) set of intruction s to find the ONLY link, a .zip file for Webabpalooza's 120 slide show in a USB memory stick usable file....as well as the DVD ISO files.

I am convinced that even the mere 30 yours of WEBA's 120 slide show I used was of great help in prepping my panel. You can see how fantastic and better the 120 slide show is over Dnice's slide show.
That is my opinion. That does not mean I am correct.

I believe in my heart that using the 120 hour slide show is a better method to age your pixels than just watching normal TV. I think the panel will take a calibration sooner and better than when just aging with out using the slides. Like I said..my opinion...

I am guessing 160 hours now and the set is really coming into its own. It is so much better than even 50 hours ago. I believe 100% about aging the phosphors properly.

In the mean time, mark me (finally) a happy S64 owner. Thanks to all your help! smile.gif

EDIT: Heck my Splash Pro media player is much better than my Att&T Uverse when I use 720P files to play. The motion glitch doesnt happen with some files. The Splash Pro diplay really nice video...bettert than my old default player, the VLC. I actually paid for the Splash Pro. That says a lot, since I almost never pay for any type of software. Watching Crime Histories, Primeval: New World and Longmire via files instead of Uverse is a real winner. I even get DTS if a Blu Ray file has that function.

There is still nothing better than a real Blu Ray disc on my low mid level older Sony Player (BDP S570). I may get the S590...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 768 Old 09-06-2013, 12:27 PM

Liked: 11
A few pics of my new TV. I'm going to mount it on the wall after we repaint this room in the next couple weeks.

I have to say, after watching the TV more last night, I'm really happy with the purchase. Thanks to everyone here for insight and info. It's much appreciated.

post #453 of 768 Old 09-07-2013, 11:55 AM

Liked: 20
For those looking for a proper version of Webapalooza's 120 Slides that can be placed on a USB Thumbdrive, here's the link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/e7wvbtt5pv7gt4e/plasma_break-in_v120.zip

I'm only posting this because I found numerous dead links and several links that had improperly formatted slides. I was actually running the bad slides on my TV for about 5 minutes before I noticed the formatting was off on the Right side. The link above has the properly formatted slides.

I've been running this for the last few days and have checked every slide on both my TV and computer and can confirm these slides are the correct ones.

Enjoy!! smile.gif
post #454 of 768 Old 09-07-2013, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 68
Doodis,

Sharp looking setup!

Thanks for posting that.

mm
post #455 of 768 Old 09-07-2013, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodis View Post

A few pics of my new TV. I'm going to mount it on the wall after we repaint this room in the next couple weeks.

I have to say, after watching the TV more last night, I'm really happy with the purchase. Thanks to everyone here for insight and info. It's much appreciated.

Nice setup, I use to have the same media cabinet. Post a pic when it's on the wall.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #456 of 768 Old 09-07-2013, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

Mine is on a TV stand which sticks out at least a few inches from the wall to allow space for cables. That combined with the stand makes it jut out 1 foot from the wall. And because the wall backs to the stairwell with an overlook from the hall and vaulted ceiling above, it's somewhat noticeable and I'm thinking I might want a wall mount. But room darkening curtains, a subwoofer and center voice channel speaker are higher priorities...
post #457 of 768 Old 09-08-2013, 03:28 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 1327
Just joined the club with the addition of my new 65PS64 from Costco getting one from this last batch before it closed out. As a few others have reported, the "White Glove" delivery was done with only one driver so I ended up helping him carry the TV into the house, unbox it, and set it on top of my TV stand. He also recommended leaving the box in case there was any reason to return it, so I've got a huge box to contend with. I used a combination of regular TV viewing and the slides (2/3 slides, 1/3 regular viewing) to get to what I just learned a few moments ago to be a total viewing of 98 hours. Very impressed with the picture so far and especially pleased when using 6500K bias lighting at night which really emphasizes the deep black in the display. Although I am using an 18" 6500K bulb I purchased 5 years ago for my 50" Panny along with an 18" light fixture from Home Depot, it seems the 6500K LED strip lighting is the more practical/functional way to go now these days. Well worth the extra investment especially to reduce eye strain for night time viewing.
MountainMichael likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #458 of 768 Old 09-08-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwlness View Post

For those looking for a proper version of Webapalooza's 120 Slides that can be placed on a USB Thumbdrive, here's the link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/e7wvbtt5pv7gt4e/plasma_break-in_v120.zip

I'm only posting this because I found numerous dead links and several links that had improperly formatted slides. I was actually running the bad slides on my TV for about 5 minutes before I noticed the formatting was off on the Right side. The link above has the properly formatted slides.

I've been running this for the last few days and have checked every slide on both my TV and computer and can confirm these slides are the correct ones.

Enjoy!! smile.gif
Thanks for this link, I was going to break my set in with normal viewing, but I think I'll give these slides a try for a bit.

What picture mode should be used to view these slides? Default standard?
post #459 of 768 Old 09-09-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:

Thanks for this link, I was going to break my set in with normal viewing, but I think I'll give these slides a try for a bit.

Default Custom, with CATS and orbiter turned off in both Picture menu and Eco menu (CATS only).
post #460 of 768 Old 09-09-2013, 07:11 PM

Liked: 21
My replacement 65S64 arrived today intact. Running slides now. :-)

--Greg

post #461 of 768 Old 09-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregleg View Post

My replacement 65S64 arrived today intact. Running slides now. :-)
...which means I should be calibrating on Saturday. smile.gif
post #462 of 768 Old 09-10-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googer View Post

...which means I should be calibrating on Saturday. smile.gif

Or at least soon thereafter smile.gif (My wife and I have tickets to see Lion King this coming Saturday afternoon followed by a nice dinner out somewhere -- penance for my TV smile.gif )

--Greg

post #463 of 768 Old 09-11-2013, 10:17 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Sorry. I have been away. But you are in great hands here. You were given the correct answer, just as Goldenbear replied: "Default Custom, with CATS and orbiter turned off in both Picture menu and Eco menu (CATS only)."

I really liked the 120 slide show best of all.
post #464 of 768 Old 09-11-2013, 01:58 PM

This may seem ridiculous, but I can't seem to find the Eco menu. Can someone tell me where it's located? I've been running the 120 slides the last couple nights, and have all the settings as recommended aside from the Eco menu, which I can't locate.
post #465 of 768 Old 09-11-2013, 03:46 PM

Liked: 26
My 30ft HDMI cable arrived and seems to work great. My plan is almost coming to fruition smile.gif Now to get a TV stand. I found one I like but have a couple concerns. I didn't want to go OT but if you're curious it's in this thread.
post #466 of 768 Old 09-11-2013, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

This may seem ridiculous, but I can't seem to find the Eco menu. Can someone tell me where it's located? I've been running the 120 slides the last couple nights, and have all the settings as recommended aside from the Eco menu, which I can't locate.

Doodis,

No worries.

Try menu but skip picture this time.

Instead, scroll down to setup then arrow right to Eco navigation.

fyi

mm

p.s.: Experiences vary, but IMO it may be best to have CATS turned off both in Eco AND in each of the picture menus. I saw some funny stuff with my ST60 where CATS was still active when turned off only in the picture menus.
post #467 of 768 Old 09-11-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMichael View Post

Doodis,

No worries.

Try menu but skip picture this time.

Instead, scroll down to setup then arrow right to Eco navigation.

fyi

mm

p.s.: Experiences vary, but IMO it may be best to have CATS turned off both in Eco AND in each of the picture menus. I saw some funny stuff with my ST60 where CATS was still active when turned off only in the picture menus.

Perfect, thanks. I was going a little crazy trying to find it.
post #468 of 768 Old 09-15-2013, 03:06 PM

Ok, so my 65S54 was calibrated this morning after 100 hours. I've posted the settings here.
Googer and MountainMichael like this.

--Greg

post #469 of 768 Old 09-15-2013, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok, so my 65S54 was calibrated this morning after 100 hours. I've posted the settings here.

gregleg,

Thanks going out to you and Googer for sharing those! I'm giving them a try now...

mm
post #470 of 768 Old 09-16-2013, 12:10 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

I went ahead and tested gregleg/Googer's settings and I'm EXTREMELY impressed and satisfied. I had tested Fairchild's "Cinema" settings and was happy with them until gregleg posted his custom calibration settings. I'll be testing a few more movies to see which I'm happier with overall, but I seem to get a bit too much of a blue/green push with Fairchild's most recent "Cinema" settings (although, i havent tested these settings without his Pro Color detail and Pro W/B detail settings [ie: leave them all at 0]).

Fairchild recently updated his calibration settings to include a new "Custom" settings calibration, so I'll be adding this to my list of settings to test.

Just wanted to thank both gregleg/Googer and Fairchild for posting their calibration settings as both were a big improvement over stock settings. THANK YOU!!
gregleg and MountainMichael like this.
post #471 of 768 Old 09-16-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
I'm at about 375 hours as of yesterday evening. Amazing how it averages out to 5 hours/day whether I am out of town on weekends or not or out on the town during the week. I tend to leave the TV on even when I go upstairs to work on the computer and have fallen asleep with it on quite a few nights last week - just wish I had ARC (HDMI-5) so that my AVR would shut off when the TV shuts off after 4 hours inactivity instead of passing out with the audio blaring from my speakers all night.

I finally wrote down my settings and will post them before trying out Fairchild's and then gregleg's hopefully this week and note my experiences.
post #472 of 768 Old 09-16-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Fairchild recently updated his calibration settings to include a new "Custom" settings calibration, so I'll be adding this to my list of settings to test.

FYI - This Fairchild Custom setting is three months old. He just re-posted it recently by request.
post #473 of 768 Old 09-16-2013, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

gregleg,

First off... and emphasis added: Thanks for sharing settings from the calibration you and Googer worked up. Your generosity is appreciated.

From your description acknowledging panel variation and differences in taste, I totally agree on that. Since fc99's settings were running towards green/blue push for you, my panel varies in the other direction. So I went back to fc99's settings for cinema and custom. For my particular panel variance, that remains very good though probably not spot on perfect. But way better than I ever hoped for short of a pro calibration.

I look forward to trying HDTimeShifter's settings.

Micke S.
gregleg likes this.
post #474 of 768 Old 09-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Upon getting home after finishing calibrating gregleg's set, I found that upon finishing up, I apparently didn't save the calibration session, so unfortunately I don't have a post-calibration report to share. tongue.gif I can, however, share how I calibrated and what I remember in terms of calibration details (meaning what I was targeting as far as accuracy, etc.):

Another caveat: I didn't do any sharpness testing so it's definitely possible that needs adjustment, though FWIW after finishing calibration in the limited amount of use the set saw before I left, I didn't notice obvious over-sharpening artifacts (ringing, etc.). If you think sharpness at 50 is too high, by all means turn it down. smile.gif

That out of the way, I'll quickly go over what I used and quick methodology. For software, I use CalMAN 5 Enthusiast. As I do for any other calibration I perform, I started by calibrating my C6 tristim to my XRite EyeOne Pro spectroradiometer on his plasma. After that, all measurements were taken solely by the C6 for its speed, ease of use (no need to take a dark reading every 10 minutes like the EyeOne Pro needs), better reading down to very dark output levels, etc. Rather than rely on a disk or my laptop to generate patterns, I brought one of my Lumagen Radiance Mini3D's with me, using its internal pattern generation (in reference mode, since I wouldn't be using the Lumagen for the actual calibration since it's not actually part of the final video chain in this case wink.gif ).

I didn't pay attention to any prior calibration settings when calibrating - I basically operated completely on my own, so in comparing what I came up with afterwards, it was rather reassuring to see that the bulk of the settings that definitely should carry over from one set to another did (i.e., basic settings such as contrast, brightness, plus the general 'pro' settings such as AGC, black extension, etc.) I noticed that grayscale OOTB with the set on warm 2 had an average dE2000 of around 3.5, so not too bad but not great either. On this particular set, it was consistent in being a bit red-deficient across the board, which is also pretty easy to tell in the grayscale settings I came up with (which cuts both green and blue on both the high and low end by around the same amount and leaves red alone). After doing that, except for a small bump where the dE remained around 2 at 30% (which I could have improved, but doing so came at a cost of greatly increasing the error at lower brightness levels), dE was <1 across the board, so very consistent and very good grayscale performance post-calibration. smile.gif Gamma averaged ~2.35 in the end, very close to my preferred 2.4. Keeping those that prefer a 2.2 gamma in mind, I also looked at using 2.2 gamma in the set but its performance seemed to be way off - I was seeing gamma much lower - closer to 2.0...

Then for color calibration, I first minimized color error using the basic color controls (meaning color, tint, and the 'pro' color gamut) controls, which still yielded an average dE of around 5 and max of around 10 with the color checker. I consistently found almost all colors (both in saturation and luminance sweeps, as well as color checker swatches) to be oversaturated by at least 10-15% and under-bright by a comparable amount. The hue was very close to in-line with all of these. The Color Detail (CMS) controls fortunately operated pretty much as you'd expect they should have (which isn't always the case - I've calibrated several sets with horribly broken CMS implementations that you're better off not using at all tongue.gif), so I had no problem correcting these errors to be much smaller. Before I started, reds in particular, were noticeably quite oversaturated - perhaps why quite a few people have said reds are too strong on their sets when using warm 2 for their base grayscale setting?

Post-calibration, dE for all the primarily green and red-based colors (so greens, reds, browns, oranges, yellow, etc.) ended up in the 1-2 range (so basically non-existent). Blue was a bit more problematic - getting those colors (blues, magentas, cyans, etcs.) looking really good in the color checker had significant error in saturation sweeps and vice versa, so I compromised on them to somewhat minimize both. In the end they also ended up good, just not quite as good as those in the other part of the color spectrum - they averaged around 2.5 dE, max of around 4 IIRC (in both the color checker and the saturation and luminance sweeps).

FWIW, in looking at fc99's last calibration report on his 50" S60 set, I noticed the error in colors extremely closely mirror what I was seeing on gregleg's 65" S64 before I minimized / eliminated them, so I half-wonder if he wouldn't minimize color errors a bit more with CMS settings closer to mine (significantly cutting saturation and increasing luminance in the CMS). Also for those wondering about whether settings carrying over from one set to another with the obvious variance in one set to another (based on the differences in grayscale settings), I still tend to think the answer is yes, outside grayscale settings.

So basically, assuming you have a good base D65 grayscale and at least somewhat sensible gamma response, chances are pretty good the CMS settings I came up with should work pretty well. I'm tending to think best results if you can't calibrate grayscale on your own would be to use Warm 2, set AGC and black extension to 0, use mid panel brightness (basically copy all settings), other than the Pro grayscale settings (meaning the high and low RGB settings). This sounds like fc99's recommendations as well, but I have one difference: the Color Detail settings probably basically carry over so I'd copy those as well.
sarahd and MountainMichael like this.
post #475 of 768 Old 09-16-2013, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Googer,

The exceptional detail you provided on your methodology is VERY appreciated.

Many thanks, man.

Micke
post #476 of 768 Old 09-16-2013, 09:22 PM

Unfortunately, I am getting heavy red push with Googer's calibration settings. So I have gone back to using Fairchild's. But thanks anyway for sharing!
post #477 of 768 Old 09-17-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googer View Post

(in reference mode, since I wouldn't be using the Lumagen for the actual calibration since it's not actually part of the final video chain in this case wink.gif ).

Well, if someone wanted to GET me a Lumagen I wouldn't turn it down. That'd be silly though, given they cost more than I paid for the TV... smile.gif

--Greg

post #478 of 768 Old 09-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 147
@googer, what size and type of patterns did you use when calibrating with your Lumagen? I'm guessing some sort of window patterns but what size and were they just standard window patterns (black all around the box) or did you use APL patterns of any type?

Also I generally don't mess with the green RGB controls when adjusting the W/B since that usually throws the luminance off as you mention. I usually just adjust the red and blue RGB controls and leave the green alone. I haven't calibrated a set yet that required adjustments to the green since it's usually always in line and when adjusting the red and blue, the green usually comes back into line. I guess it's something to try on this set and see if I can achieve an even better calibration down the line. For now I'm happy with the picture that this set produces once calibrated with 10% window patterns and 100%/100% color patterns.
Googer and MountainMichael like this.

Sony 32" EX400 calibrated settings

Panasonic 50" S60 calibrated settings

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

post #479 of 768 Old 09-17-2013, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

@googer, what size and type of patterns did you use when calibrating with your Lumagen? I'm guessing some sort of window patterns but what size and were they just standard window patterns (black all around the box) or did you use APL patterns of any type?
Excellent question - I wish the Lumagen had APL patterns but your choices are full-field, and "large" and "small" windows. I used small windows to avoid the display's ABL messing with the readings, and they're small all right - I'd guess they're on the order of 1-2% total screen size. tongue.gif You can see what the patterns physically look like in this doc (though the windows represented in it for the small and large windows are larger than they are in reality). That doc also seems to imply that the Radiance is limited to generating grays plus the basic RGBCYM colors for its patterns, which definitely isn't the case, at least when being driven by CalMAN (I believe that is the case if you're just selecting patterns manually in the Radiance's menus).
Quote:
Also I generally don't mess with the green RGB controls when adjusting the W/B since that usually throws the luminance off as you mention. I usually just adjust the red and blue RGB controls and leave the green alone. I haven't calibrated a set yet that required adjustments to the green since it's usually always in line and when adjusting the red and blue, the green usually comes back into line. I guess it's something to try on this set and see if I can achieve an even better calibration down the line. For now I'm happy with the picture that this set produces once calibrated with 10% window patterns and 100%/100% color patterns.
I've seen that school of thought (don't mess with green, use only red and blue to fix grayscale), and I've also seen what I personally follow, which is start with whichever color you're deficient in at the low end of the scale and lower the other two at that end (never raising any of the three), doing whatever is necessary to fix the high end. The idea with that theory is that it's not all that uncommon for a display to raise its black floor (similar to setting the the brightness too high) if you raise any of the cuts in the grayscale settings. It's definitely true of my JVC RS20 projector, so it's somewhat ingrained when I calibrate any display to do it that way. smile.gif I'll probably experiment with the leave green alone method (as well as starting in cinema mode since you say that yields better color results, as I didn't really experiment with that either) when I do touch-ups / recal's down-the-line.
post #480 of 768 Old 09-17-2013, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 147
Yeah I've used 4% windows, 4% APL windows, 10% windows, 10% APL windows, 14% windows but always go back to just the standard windows. My latest touch-up was using the 10% windows. And for sure, Cinema produces the most accurate colors. I tried to really tweak Custom, but never could get my dE's as low as with Cinema, and there were more/higher errors in the color-checker and other saturations than in Cinema. I only use 2 modes, Cinema and Home Theater at 0 contrast (for lowest possible light output) when I set my sleep timer, though alot of the times I'll just totally black out the screen which is a great feature.

Sony 32" EX400 calibrated settings

Panasonic 50" S60 calibrated settings

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page