Panasonic TC-65PS64 and TC-50PS64 ~OWNER'S POLL~ - Page 22 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Are you glad overall that you bought the PanasonicTC-xxPS64?
Yes, totally glad. 22 88.00%
No, I regret it. 0 0%
I'm ambivalent. Serious doubts. 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #631 of 769 Old 11-27-2013, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi guys. Hi MM! How are you all? I want to thank MM and all you for your help and encouragement when I was making my FAQ. I learned so much in the process.
I want to update my situation.

My "64 is better than ever. I had some glitches in playing back video on my computer which was hooked up to my Panny. ALL those glitches have completely disappeared. I watch most of my media via large Blu Ray torrent files using a pay version (worth every penny) of Splash Pro. With my HDMI hook up and HD sound card I get DTS Master HD sound (if that is how the file is presented) and 1080p resolution. Almost a perfect rendition of a Blu ray disc. The picture is remarkable.

All my colors and black levels are astounding. I have kept up with current changes in settings. I have about 2k hours on the set. I was so impressed with the quality of my last movies (The Wolverine, Monsters University and currently REDS), that I had to stop and post.

The funny thing is that as time went on everthing just got better and beter. Every little glitch eventually disappeared and the picture did nothing but improve. I still like that extended slide show I used to help break my set in. I think that really helped. I forget what it was called, but it was really hard to find. I did post a link for that.

I would say i am "gushing" at this point about the quality of the set...and for SO LITTLE money. That is just the icing, isnt it?
Drawbacks? Yep. The screen is like a mirror, even with the extra non reflective qualities. I deal with it. Sometimes I think the white levels are not as pure as they could be..I deal with that too.
I cant think of any better buy in big screen TV's. Is there? I never asked that question. Not that I would want to part with what I have. I am pretty darn happy.
MountainMichael likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 769 Old 11-27-2013, 02:44 PM

Liked: 12

Hello everyone,

I just picked the 65PS64 up just a couple days ago from Sam's club.  The TV replaces an LG 47LH90 LED set I was using, one concern I had was how much of an upgrade would I be getting with a new TV.  Well even after just a few short hours with this new TV with standard settings I've been completely taken in by it.  

The PQ on this TV is simply amazing, I really can't wait til I get the 100 hours clocked in on it so I can make the adjustments and improve the picture more so than it is now.  

I have to say thanks for all the post on this TV, after reading this thread it was an easy choice to pick this TV up, and I'm not at all disappointed I did.

post #633 of 769 Old 11-28-2013, 01:41 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraya77 View Post

So, at this point, a lot of you have now garnered a lot of viewing hours on your S64's.

For those of you who have a lot of viewing experience clocked in with your S64, I would imagine you have watched a bunch of movies by now.  That said, how have you found your 24p performance overall?

Also, how are you finding the overall motion blur performance with regular tv watching and DVD's (24p and non-24p)?

I'm experiencing some annoying blur on streaming content from the built-in apps. I'll need to try and test it with Blu-Ray and a Roku to see how it fares there. If it's not better on those cases I might have to do a return.
post #634 of 769 Old 11-28-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by aman74 View Post

I'm experiencing some annoying blur on streaming content from the built-in apps. I'll need to try and test it with Blu-Ray and a Roku to see how it fares there. If it's not better on those cases I might have to do a return.

Any device including the Roku, that outputs 60hz from 24p sources should work just fine on that TV. I just ordered an S60 and plan to continue using my Roku 2, which offers 750+ channels and a big improvement over most smart TV apps.

Ian wink.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #635 of 769 Old 11-28-2013, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 68
aman74, I replied to the comments you made in the S64 noise reduction experiments thread. The warning you demand has long since been in post 25. It can't be missed; it is conspicuous as heck since it is all bold. It shows last edited 5 months ago.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1479356/2013-panasonic-s60-s64-diy-noise-reduction-experiments-illustrated
post #636 of 769 Old 11-28-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Zelman, Welcome to AVS and to the S64 owner's thread. Congrats on your new S64. Thank you for your input on your S64 thus far.
post #637 of 769 Old 11-28-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMichael View Post

Zelman,

Welcome to AVS and to this thread and congrats on your new S64! Thank you for your input on your S64 thus far. I hope you will update the thread as you get to know your new TV. High quality pics of your theater would be appreciated, too. Such pics seem to be very popular in here.

I used and advocated fairchild99's shared settings for a long while and believe them to be very good. Not to disparage the mountain of work Fairchild kindly shared with us in any way, but I am currently trying CNET's new 65PS64 settings and I'm liking them a LOT fwiw..

I tried the CNET settings at the advice of others in here. Very nice. A bit bright for me at night. I use fairchild99's custom settings when the CNET stuff seems too bright.

Thanks MM, I'll be looking to change some settings around once I hit the 100 hour mark.  I'll get some pictures up as soon as I can.

post #638 of 769 Old 11-29-2013, 05:04 PM

I have a s5064. I have finally found settings on custom that look very good to me, after trying other settings posted here. This is not my first plasma, had a vizio 42 inch for 5 years, which still works great. Just wanted a larger screen. Anyway i have had trouble with the PQ of the wifi apps since i got it. It would barely reach 480p. I'ts not my connection, cause when i stream through my dvd PQ is fine. I paid $500 for this at costco , on display, great condition, with a 5 year warranty. I am very satisfied since i do have roku and blu-ray streaming. So the apps, though would be nice if i got a good PQ is not an issue..BTW i see so many tech questions and answers, which is what i used when i first got this set and oif course is the purpose of this site. After spending time and adjusting i found what looks good to me, just spend some time working the settings. I'm not a videophile, but i do know a good picture when i see it. As with any product , this just my opinion., but for what i paid i am satisfied.
post #639 of 769 Old 11-30-2013, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

hbv, When I stream Netflix or Amazon direct to my TV, I have my 65PS64 on an ethernet cable. Even with no wireless, I see it frequently "getting lazy (?)" dropping to 480 a lot. It's one of the things I dislike. Some complain about this, most don't. Not sure why.
post #640 of 769 Old 11-30-2013, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the thumbs up MM. You got me as to why some stream better than others, but as long as i get a quality pq with my dvd, it's all good. As soon as i get a chance i'll post my settings. Thank again for your response.....
post #641 of 769 Old 11-30-2013, 02:54 PM

Liked: 11

Hey, I have been reading this thread and have a question: would you guys rate the 50PS64 over the 50UT50? I am trying to decide between the two. The UT50 is new and unused, but will not come with a warranty. The S64 is new with warranty. The price difference is not huge, but would be about 150$ less for the UT50. What I am considering:

-Picture quality. I know the UT50 has a 2500hz subfield versus the S64's 600hz, and the S64 has the reflective treatment while the UT50 does not, but would there be any differences other than these? In a dark room, which would offer the superior picture quality? For reference, my focus is mainly on bluray movies.

-I do not care about 3D

-I do not care about SMART features

-I do not care about speakers (will be hooking up to my own)

Any help?

post #642 of 769 Old 11-30-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Muskiehunter, Welcome to AVS and to the S64 thread.

I regret that I have no firsthand experience with a UT50 to offer, so I hope someone has some details to offer you.
post #643 of 769 Old 11-30-2013, 05:38 PM

Thank you for the thorough response. I have been attempting to comb through that thread, and as you said, the search function is very poor. I have not had much luck. I have read about the pulldown issue. The Cnet reviews for the ut50 and s60 say that the ut50 does not suffer from it (the 2500hz apparently does the trick - check the 'video processing' section of the review) while the s60 definitely does. 

Is the ps3 better than other bluray players to help correct this problem? Also, one other concern I have is that both of them only have a digital audio-out. My receiver only has analog, so I will need some form of toslink to rca convert, correct? I read that they run ~50$. 

Also: is there anything to what people say about the AR filter significantly altering the picture quality? In regards to the s64 compared to the s60. 

post #644 of 769 Old 12-01-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskiehunter View Post

Thank you for the thorough response. I have been attempting to comb through that thread, and as you said, the search function is very poor. I have not had much luck. I have read about the pulldown issue. The Cnet reviews for the ut50 and s60 say that the ut50 does not suffer from it (the 2500hz apparently does the trick - check the 'video processing' section of the review) while the s60 definitely does. 

Is the ps3 better than other bluray players to help correct this problem? Also, one other concern I have is that both of them only have a digital audio-out. My receiver only has analog, so I will need some form of toslink to rca convert, correct? I read that they run ~50$. 

Also: is there anything to what people say about the AR filter significantly altering the picture quality? In regards to the s64 compared to the s60. 

Hey guys - to update, I went ahead and got the 50" S64. The five year warranty (1 manufacturer + 1 costco + 3 extended for 59.99) was too good to pass up. I have it set up and am looking to start the break in process / calibration. Any advice for a beginner? I have a bunch of information from various threads and websites, but am finding it difficult to synthesize it all. 

post #645 of 769 Old 12-02-2013, 07:47 AM

Hello, thank you everyone for the advice in this post,

My question is: has anyone tried to mount this TV on a fully articulating arm (full motion mount)? I can't seem to find anything in terms of VESA compatibility, sizes etc... I've read some people having luck with monoprice mounts, but the ones they are using just seem to be the straight tilt.

I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions/compatibility measurements.... where it would be going it has to be on a full mount, and its weird that I can't seem to find anything obvious about mounting this TV!
Thank you very much!
~M

post #646 of 769 Old 12-02-2013, 08:17 AM

Liked: 10

Hello AVS. I have a simple question to begin.

I received my 65S64 from TheTVShack on Friday, and have been preparing it for calibration since. My question is about warranty – can I still purchase the $99 Costco warranty and apply to this set, even if it was purchased from a non-authorized seller?

post #647 of 769 Old 12-02-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Muskiehunter, congrats on the new TV. Somewhere in the shootout thread, D-Nice and others were asked if the AR Filters in 2013 degrade picture quality at all. All were in agreement that they are a light enough treatment that they do not harm PQ in any measurable or visible way.
mgrimace likes this.
post #648 of 769 Old 12-02-2013, 01:04 PM

Thanks for the congrats. I will keep the BluRay/PS3 advice in mind. I have a concern though - I have noticed a very substantial buzzing on my S64. I know that some buzzing is inherent for Plasma tech, but this seems above what would be considered usual. It does get louder with brights/whites being displayed, but even in the regular menu, it is very audible. 

For reference, I can have the background music that you can play on the S64 on, at 12-15 volume. Having the media menu screen displayed, I can hear the buzzing over the music at 8-10 feet. If I have no sound on, I can hear the buzzing throughout half of my apartment (like 20-25 feet behind the unit and maybe 15-20 in front of it). Will this reduce in time? I find this a fatal flaw, it is far, far above ambient noise and can be heard over regular volume! 

What should I do? I cannot return the unit easily, as it is 50" and I had to borrow a proper vehicle. Any solutions? I was considering calling Panasonic and seeing if they can send a tech out to look at it / attempt to repair it. The picture looks so nice too, I am really broken up over this. 

post #649 of 769 Old 12-02-2013, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Muskiehunter,

Sorry to hear it. So far as I know, buzzing usually only gets worse and not better. The only solutions I know of are the usual stuff. That is, return, swap or repair. I know of NO DIY fixes.
post #650 of 769 Old 12-02-2013, 01:37 PM

Liked: 13
New P65S64 owner here, literally. It just arrived today and I'm not sure I'm going to like this one. This isn't my first plasma (or my first Panny) and I can usually get to where I think the picture looks good with a few basic tweaks using basic grayscale test patterns, but I'm having major trouble with this one. I came from a TC-P50S30 that had an SD and SU board failure that I fixed myself and planned on just using that until this deal popped up that I couldn't pass on. I love the PQ on that TV and was hoping to get even better with this one.

My main complaint? Blacks look blue, especially text on browsers, documents, etc. I've adjusted everything with no effect. It seemed to "fix" itself for a few minutes once, but then it went back to being blue at some point when I wasn't looking. In the interest of full disclosure, this IS a manufacturer refurb. The source is an HTPC being pushed via HDMI through an Onkyo RT-H680 HDMI receiver. I'm worried that this is a hardware issue, not just simple calibration. I'll admit that I'm a calibration noob (I mostly use the old THX Optimizer disc lol), but I have a decent eye and know this isn't right.

I've reset the TV back to default settings across the board just to make sure, so that's what I'm working with right now. Any ideas?

Here is a pic for reference:

post #651 of 769 Old 12-02-2013, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

When I stream Netflix or Amazon direct to my TV, I have my 65PS64 on an ethernet cable. Even with no wireless, I see it frequently "getting lazy (?)" dropping to 480 a lot. It's one of the things I dislike about this TV. As you note, when I stream through another device, no problems. I wonder what the variables are? My Dad's and brother's 50PS64s seem to stream directly just fine.

In my particular case, my leading hunch is: My PS3's hardware and Netflix's PS3 software can buffer quicker/better, but I really don't know. If it's likely a settings issue in my router or TV, etc, I hope someone will educate me.

Your input is appreciated. Like you, I remain very satisfied overall. The above is probably my main remaining gripe now that I've kicked "popping" to the curb.

Say, would you please post your Custom settings (or a link to them if posted elsewhere) that you arrived at? My feeling is: The more shared settings in here for people to try, the more likely people can find something they like or something they can work with. Also, I'd personally like to give your Custom settings a try.

m

I have noticed the same issue. Recently I watched an episode of Sherlock via Netflix. The resolution fluctuated a lot, although I rarely noticed the degradation. It would drop from 1080p, to 720, then 480. Often even when the info badge indicated it was 480 it still looked like HD quality, odd as it sounds. The S64 app is quiet and convenient, so I like it for those attributes. The PS3 UI is very nice and more responsive, however. And I agree that the PS3 processor and HDD likely help it buffer faster and better than the TV.
post #652 of 769 Old 12-02-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:

Muskiehunter,

I'm very sorry to hear it. So far as I know, buzzing usually only gets worse and not better. The only solutions I know of are the usual stuff. That is, return, swap or repair. I know of NO DIY fixes.

Getting Panny to dispatch someone for repair will take determination as they will jump you through hoops.

S60 variants (S60 and S64) and ST60s are sometimes returned or swapped due to buzzing. Some plasmas of the same make and model are definitely worse than others. It is luck of the draw, unfortunately.

I will personally avoid open box and supposedly demo plasma TV's because I believe there is a high probability they were returned due to buzzing. So far as I know, yours was brand new and not open box, just mentioning this for others. Other people disagree with me on this and that's fine. It's just a personal opinion.

Many knowledgeable AVS members seem to agree: If you can hear buzzing from seated position with normal volume on, it is too loud, period.[/B] Panasonic may or may not disagree depending upon the individual rep you draw.

As you stated, it is usually worse with bright scenes or white slides.

I fully agree that the logistics of return can be difficult. I had to return a 55ST60 that I had delivered by Amazon to a VERY rural location. Amazon was very good about it but it was a real fight with the shippers involved. Nobody wanted to pick it up and it took almost a month and dozens of phone calls.

When considering return versus repair, you no doubt know but I think it should be restated sometimes: At such time as a TV buyer has a repair done, the return/swap period is ENDED. I personally do not think it should be this way but it is.

This is the first S64 I've heard of that needs returned due to buzz since Eddie Arkadian's. However, I haven't been following the S60 thread so there may be more S64 returns documented in there.

Once again, sorry to hear it. I hope you find a solution that works out.

Yeah, it is a really bummer. I would be happy with having a tech fix the issue in exchange for waiving my ability to exchange the product. IF they fix it. I am assuming, in good sense, that if their repair fails to fix the issue, that it would still be returnable (otherwise that is absurd). I have tried everything - the buzz persists on vivid, standard, custom, cinema, whether the contrast or brightness is max or minimum. 

I have a five-year warranty, I have no problem with having the device fixed, as I would still be covered for ages if it comes back down the road. I am in Canada if that matters. 

post #653 of 769 Old 12-02-2013, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongbowFoSho View Post

New P65S64 owner here, literally. It just arrived today and I'm not sure I'm going to like this one...

(This turned out to be an HTPC setting problem)
post #654 of 769 Old 12-02-2013, 02:00 PM

Muskiehunter,

I believe Panasonic has some number of repair attempts they would require before declaring the TV a lemon.

Please be warned: I've read they are very stubborn about triggering their lemon clause. Most often in actual practice, once you get a repair done, your swap or return period is OVER.

Part of it is because: The seller/dealer refuses to take back a repaired TV.

I appreciate the heads up. I do not think I really have an option as I cannot return the TV very easily (unless they picked it up, which I don't think they will). I will have to rely on the tech, hope for the best, and if it comes to the worst, be very persistent. I paid for it on an AMEX Card and purchased the extended warranty - plus, it is a new TV. I feel like I am on unbelievably strong footing for having a working TV. 

post #655 of 769 Old 12-02-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
The picture and disclosure of refurb are very much appreciated.

I've not seen or read of that problem before. If someone has seen this, I hope they will post back.

With text changing from black to blue on its own at random, I agree it sounds like hardware.

Have you tried different sources and HDMI cables to see if blacks are then still flipping to blue? Also, one S60 TV I remember reading about had one HDMI port that was bad. The other port worked ok. Though it had to be returned, it could be diagnostic to try the other port if you haven't tried that yet.

I doubt power saving would have anything to do with something this extreme, but do you have eco turned off and CATS turned off both places?

Yes, Eco and CATS are both off. I switched to the other HDMI port with no change.
post #656 of 769 Old 12-02-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongbowFoSho View Post

Yes, Eco and CATS are both off. I switched to the other HDMI post with no change.

(This turned out to be HTPC settings causing a problem.)
post #657 of 769 Old 12-02-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:

I hope and believe that a repair will be straight forward. I think the first challenge will be getting past the Panny rep. From what I've read, they love to say "that's normal". I've read that this is when politely but firmly standing your ground and/or escalating to a supervisor may yield a field repair being dispatched.

Maybe Panasonic will have better representation for Canada. When I called Panny US for the intermittent fault in my 55ST60, they were not good and were very argumentative. I ended up telling them: "Ya' know what? Forget the repair. I'm returning the TV to Amazon under their return policy."

It could be that you might decide that will be your final fallback if Panasonic Canada puts up too much of a fight. Instead, I very much hope they will treat you properly and take care of the problem promptly.

Please do keep us apprised how things go. It could affect other's buying decisions.

I will definitely keep everybody updated about how the process goes. This thread gives me hope: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1503179/panasonics-done-it-again

post #658 of 769 Old 12-02-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wow, now that is customer service.
post #659 of 769 Old 12-02-2013, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

oops, text lost.
LongbowFoSho likes this.
post #660 of 769 Old 12-02-2013, 03:13 PM

UPDATE: After reading about something somewhat similar in the S60 thread, I changed the HDMI content type from Auto to Photos and the issue was DRAMATICALLY improved, although the text still has a purplish tint that shouldn't be there. I'm going to try to tweak the color/PQ settings and see if that eliminates it. It might still be off in color, the text clarity (or perhaps its the opposite?) is actually readable now. It was almost turquoise before.

I really don't want to send this back if I can avoid it, especially since I actually ordered the S60 and they sent me this instead smile.gif

EDIT: I think I've oversimplified the symptom a little bit: everything has a blue tinge to it. White isn't white and black isn't black. Its most noticeable on whites and black text, but everything has a significant blue hue. Adjust color settings doesn't seem to help. Actually, none of the color adjustments in the Pro Settings seem to do anything at all, honestly.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page