Samsung PNxxF4500 Owners Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 816 Old 03-30-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Big C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 1,320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatStatic14 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrywang View Post

Awesome. So far I am loving bizzaro's settings. It feels very very accurate and "right". When I was using other settings something always felt a little bit off.


We really do need a professional review for this amazing TV lol

Did you stick with the 16 cell light?  I used it when watching the first 2.35:1 movie (Gravity) after break-in last night and the glow/glare was a bit hard to take, especially on subtitles which were streaking a bit, but anything lower would wash out the mid tones as others have reported.  The background wasn't completely black, a bit grey but it wasn't distracting.  And it also heated the room up to 82F with the door closed.

I've got to say, using the bias light works really great for reducing virtually all reflections in such a dark movie (just the white side wall reflection and curtain leakage near the right screen edge and you had to look for it insted of competing with the picture), although I'm ironically finding its not really my preference to watch a movie in a completely dark room.  Next movie, I am going to sit closer as it was hard to make-out faces and smaller details at 10 feet.  Because of the 720p resolution, I just don't think the max IMAX seating distance is practical with this set, so a strong immersion effect is unlikely.  I can't fit the 1080p 51" or I would switch to it in a jiff.
Most home theater sound and picture inthuziasts try to get the biggest screen possible. If it would make you feel better, I always found it embarrasing saying in front of inthuziasts like you guys that because of my damn 28" height limitation that I can't fit a plasma bigger than 43" or an LCD bigger than 48". I missed out on the Panasonic TC-P42S60 42" 1080p display, and regret it to this day. I didn't care about price. I was looking for the absolutely best picture quality I could find that would fit into my shelf. I would have paid $700 for 1080p and HDMI control. On 01/15/14, because of my damn 28" height limitation, I was caught between (A) a 46"-48" 1080p LCD display with HDMI control, but lack of contrast and color, (B) the LG 42PN4500 with HDMI control, but with LCD-like black levels and average plasma white levels (which would defeat the purpose of LCDs and plasmas), or (c) the Samsung PN43F4500, giving up the extra pixels and HDMI control for the best color and contrast available in my size at that time to the present. So far, since I've had the Samsung PN43F4500, no one has been bothered by pixels, nor the extra time it takes to manualy power up the TV, receiver, and Blu-ray player. However, everyone has been highly impressed with the black levels, color, and even the brightness (considering it's a plasma), along with the lifelike audio quality from my Yamaha speakers, each with a 6.5" woofer and 0.75" tweeter, and Yamaha 10" subwoofer, all nicely complimenting the lifelike picture. I find it rather comforting that I'm not the only sound and picture home theater inthuziast who can't have an LCD display larger than 48" or a plasma display larger than 43" in my system.
Big C is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 816 Old 03-30-2014, 12:19 PM
Member
 
Trelkovsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post


Most home theater sound and picture inthuziasts try to get the biggest screen possible. If it would make you feel better, I always found it embarrasing saying in front of inthuziasts like you guys that because of my damn 28" height limitation that I can't fit a plasma bigger than 43" or an LCD bigger than 48". I missed out on the Panasonic TC-P42S60 42" 1080p display, and regret it to this day. I didn't care about price. I was looking for the absolutely best picture quality I could find that would fit into my shelf. I would have paid $700 for 1080p and HDMI control. On 01/15/14, because of my damn 28" height limitation, I was caught between (A) a 46"-48" 1080p LCD display with HDMI control, but lack of contrast and color, (B) the LG 42PN4500 with HDMI control, but with LCD-like black levels and average plasma white levels (which would defeat the purpose of LCDs and plasmas), or (c) the Samsung PN43F4500, giving up the extra pixels and HDMI control for the best color and contrast available in my size at that time to the present. So far, since I've had the Samsung PN43F4500, no one has been bothered by pixels, nor the extra time it takes to manualy power up the TV, receiver, and Blu-ray player. However, everyone has been highly impressed with the black levels, color, and even the brightness (considering it's a plasma), along with the lifelike audio quality from my Yamaha speakers, each with a 6.5" woofer and 0.75" tweeter, and Yamaha 10" subwoofer, all nicely complimenting the lifelike picture. I find it rather comforting that I'm not the only sound and picture home theater inthuziast who can't have an LCD display larger than 48" or a plasma display larger than 43" in my system.

 

Hello

 

Its your tv buzzing like this?

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvkJmcyynB4

 

I dont know if my model is defective?

 

What do you guys think? Should i return it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvkJmcyynB4

Trelkovsky is online now  
post #363 of 816 Old 03-30-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dr.Shankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 80
W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

I'm sorry about your experience. I'm glad you're safe. It could be a few things. More than likely, you just so happened to be the unlucky one to get the unit with sudden infant death syndrome. While I prefer the ruggedness of a metal chassis, I think a metal chassis makes the unit more volnerable to static electricity, as well as volnerable to serving as part of the electrical connection if not properly grounded. The picture quality on this TV is so good that I strongly encourage you to get a replacement. I don't know your wiring and grounding situation, but make sure that no surrounding metal objects are touching the metal chassis of the TV. Now I'm not sure whether I prefer the ruggedness of a metal or an aluminum chassis, or the extra safety of a plastic chassis. I guess it's half a dozen one and half a dozen the other, but this situation does have me thinking.
Went with same display from different retailer. The refresh for the year has started hitting warehouse chains, I actually searched out a 2013 with a TD02 Samsung panel version. My wife has the E450 and has been an amazing display,so pleased I not another for the bedroom to hold me over for the 4k Vizio P-series.
Dr.Shankenstein is online now  
post #364 of 816 Old 03-30-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Big C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 1,320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The buzzing I hear isn't distracting me from the content I'm playing. It's definitely coming from the panel itself. Yet it seems like one thing in common with all plasmas. It's just like that super-high-pitch noise all CRTs have in common. It shouldn't be that hard to get used to. Except for the case of that one 4550, I wouldn't make an issue out of the buz. If it bothers you that much, you'll have to go with an LCD flat panel display, but suffer grayish blacks and inferior color. The choice is yours.
Big C is offline  
post #365 of 816 Old 03-30-2014, 01:26 PM
Senior Member
 
g.costanza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can stop my brightness-associated-buzzing by pressing on the tv's metal rear cover near the top right wall mount screw hole.
g.costanza is offline  
post #366 of 816 Old 03-30-2014, 04:21 PM
Member
 
harrywang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatStatic14 View Post

Did you stick with the 16 cell light?  I used it when watching the first 2.35:1 movie (Gravity) after break-in last night and the glow/glare was a bit hard to take, especially on subtitles which were streaking a bit, but anything lower would wash out the mid tones as others have reported.  The background wasn't completely black, a bit grey but it wasn't distracting.  And it also heated the room up to 82F with the door closed.

I've got to say, using the bias light works really great for reducing virtually all reflections in such a dark movie (just the white side wall reflection and curtain leakage near the right screen edge and you had to look for it insted of competing with the picture), although I'm ironically finding its not really my preference to watch a movie in a completely dark room.  Next movie, I am going to sit closer as it was hard to make-out faces and smaller details at 10 feet.  Because of the 720p resolution, I just don't think the max IMAX seating distance is practical with this set, so a strong immersion effect is unlikely.  I can't fit the 1080p 51" or I would switch to it in a jiff.

Yes I did leave it at 16 cell light. It is perfect for my eyes. 20 is to high for me.

I have also went back to 0 flesh tone. I read that post before and It makes total sense.

I also get buzzing sound, i believe it's completely normal though and u shouldn't really notice it unless you are really paying attention to it, which in that case will make it a little bit worse for you. My old panasonic plasma had the same noise. I'm pretty used to it but like I said in an earlier post lowering your cell light will lower that sound a little bit. Also I believe additional features like black optimizer and such creates some buzzing as well so make sure everything is off.
harrywang is offline  
post #367 of 816 Old 03-30-2014, 06:12 PM
Senior Member
 
g.costanza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Buzzing is mechanical. Parts are vibrating. Usually transformer related. Like a speaker.
Have you tried locating it? Pressing on various parts of the chassis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrywang View Post

I also get buzzing sound, i believe it's completely normal though and u shouldn't really notice it unless you are really paying attention to it, which in that case will make it a little bit worse for you. My old panasonic plasma had the same noise. I'm pretty used to it but like I said in an earlier post lowering your cell light will lower that sound a little bit. Also I believe additional features like black optimizer and such creates some buzzing as well so make sure everything is off.
g.costanza is offline  
post #368 of 816 Old 03-30-2014, 06:17 PM
Senior Member
 
g.costanza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What sound setting r y'all using? Eq?
g.costanza is offline  
post #369 of 816 Old 03-31-2014, 01:51 PM
Member
 
DDailey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bizzaro's settings are spot on! Changed from Cnet settings which I did like but these are great! My display is in a very dark room which helps quite a bit. Amazing display for the $$.
DDailey is offline  
post #370 of 816 Old 03-31-2014, 01:59 PM
Member
 
Trelkovsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDailey View Post

Bizzaro's settings are spot on! Changed from Cnet settings which I did like but these are great! My display is in a very dark room which helps quite a bit. Amazing display for the $$.

 

your model buzzes?

Trelkovsky is online now  
post #371 of 816 Old 03-31-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dr.Shankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I am noticing a buzzing and a clicking sound during use on the new F4500 from Best buy. I have had minor buzz on my ST30, but nothing like this.
Dr.Shankenstein is online now  
post #372 of 816 Old 04-01-2014, 12:29 PM
Member
 
DDailey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
No buzz at all. However, I did turn cell light down to 11.
DDailey is offline  
post #373 of 816 Old 04-02-2014, 06:57 AM
Member
 
Lion Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This makes for a very informative reading on video calibration
http://www.tlvexp.ca/?wpdmact=process&did=Mi5ob3RsaW5r
Lion Rider is offline  
post #374 of 816 Old 04-02-2014, 12:30 PM
Member
 
Zarlence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Speaking of calibration, I've been tweaking my F4500 to match my Dell monitor as close as possible. The Dell monitor has a great picture and performs well when it comes to gamma and color ( as well as color temperature ) so I figured it would work well as a reference point. I wish I has proper calibration tools for greater peace of mind, but where's the fun in that? :)

 

Anyway, I've gotten to a place where I'm really happy with my settings and overall picture quality, matching my monitor nicely. I'll end up posting the settings in here soon, it may or may not be pleasing to someone.

 

I also tried a bunch of different settings posted by other users, with varying results. Copying settings from other people, even if they have the same model rarely works I guess, which makes what I'm to about to say all the more absurd.

 

The settings posted for the PN51F5300 in the following link work great for my PN51F4500! : http://www.avsforum.com/t/1503133/samsung-pn51f5300-what-a-little-gem-i1pro-calibration-results-inside

 

They are pretty radical settings ( in standard and not movie picture mode for one )  and for a different TV no less, but I'm assuming the panels are similar.

 

What I'm trying to say is that the settings work great for me,and  the only thing I tweaked is brightness which I left at 45. Perhapes someone else can try those settings and tell me if I'm crazy for liking the results? :)

Zarlence is offline  
post #375 of 816 Old 04-03-2014, 06:53 PM
Newbie
 
moocow111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarlence View Post

Speaking of calibration, I've been tweaking my F4500 to match my Dell monitor as close as possible. The Dell monitor has a great picture and performs well when it comes to gamma and color ( as well as color temperature ) so I figured it would work well as a reference point. I wish I has proper calibration tools for greater peace of mind, but where's the fun in that? smile.gif

Anyway, I've gotten to a place where I'm really happy with my settings and overall picture quality, matching my monitor nicely. I'll end up posting the settings in here soon, it may or may not be pleasing to someone.

I also tried a bunch of different settings posted by other users, with varying results. Copying settings from other people, even if they have the same model rarely works I guess, which makes what I'm to about to say all the more absurd.

The settings posted for the PN51F5300 in the following link work great for my PN51F4500! : http://www.avsforum.com/t/1503133/samsung-pn51f5300-what-a-little-gem-i1pro-calibration-results-inside

They are pretty radical settings ( in standard and not movie picture mode for one )  and for a different TV no less, but I'm assuming the panels are similar.

What I'm trying to say is that the settings work great for me,and  the only thing I tweaked is brightness which I left at 45. Perhapes someone else can try those settings and tell me if I'm crazy for liking the results? smile.gif

I just tried to those settings and I think they look great on my tv, but i left the gamma at 0 and turned my brightness down to 40. Could you please post your settings? I'm interested in trying them to see how they look smile.gif
moocow111 is offline  
post #376 of 816 Old 04-03-2014, 07:05 PM
Member
 
harrywang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarlence View Post

Speaking of calibration, I've been tweaking my F4500 to match my Dell monitor as close as possible. The Dell monitor has a great picture and performs well when it comes to gamma and color ( as well as color temperature ) so I figured it would work well as a reference point. I wish I has proper calibration tools for greater peace of mind, but where's the fun in that? smile.gif

Anyway, I've gotten to a place where I'm really happy with my settings and overall picture quality, matching my monitor nicely. I'll end up posting the settings in here soon, it may or may not be pleasing to someone.

I also tried a bunch of different settings posted by other users, with varying results. Copying settings from other people, even if they have the same model rarely works I guess, which makes what I'm to about to say all the more absurd.

The settings posted for the PN51F5300 in the following link work great for my PN51F4500! : http://www.avsforum.com/t/1503133/samsung-pn51f5300-what-a-little-gem-i1pro-calibration-results-inside

They are pretty radical settings ( in standard and not movie picture mode for one )  and for a different TV no less, but I'm assuming the panels are similar.

What I'm trying to say is that the settings work great for me,and  the only thing I tweaked is brightness which I left at 45. Perhapes someone else can try those settings and tell me if I'm crazy for liking the results? smile.gif

Funny how you say copying other peoples settings even from same model rarely works but you use settings from a different model =p

I still believe bizzaro settings are the best for me. Of course the EXACT settings weren't properly accurate for me but it was VERY VERY close. The only thing off for me was tint and color, i changed that a few notches and everything was perfect.

I also can't stand standard mode. BIzzaro's settings were also the only settings that was able to get skin tone right IMO. I prefer flesh tone on 0 though.
harrywang is offline  
post #377 of 816 Old 04-03-2014, 09:08 PM
Member
 
TheFid2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bowling Green, OH
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarlence View Post

Speaking of calibration, I've been tweaking my F4500 to match my Dell monitor as close as possible. The Dell monitor has a great picture and performs well when it comes to gamma and color ( as well as color temperature ) so I figured it would work well as a reference point. I wish I has proper calibration tools for greater peace of mind, but where's the fun in that? smile.gif

Anyway, I've gotten to a place where I'm really happy with my settings and overall picture quality, matching my monitor nicely. I'll end up posting the settings in here soon, it may or may not be pleasing to someone.

I also tried a bunch of different settings posted by other users, with varying results. Copying settings from other people, even if they have the same model rarely works I guess, which makes what I'm to about to say all the more absurd.

The settings posted for the PN51F5300 in the following link work great for my PN51F4500! : http://www.avsforum.com/t/1503133/samsung-pn51f5300-what-a-little-gem-i1pro-calibration-results-inside

They are pretty radical settings ( in standard and not movie picture mode for one )  and for a different TV no less, but I'm assuming the panels are similar.

What I'm trying to say is that the settings work great for me,and  the only thing I tweaked is brightness which I left at 45. Perhapes someone else can try those settings and tell me if I'm crazy for liking the results? smile.gif

So here's what happened for me. I decided to pick up this TV last night as a replacement for a 32-inch LCD that I got 7 years ago. I remembered tweaking that set back then and that I could find great settings online. So I did a google search for picture settings on an f4500 and for some reason, a top hit was the thread you mention for the f5300. I didn't notice this and used the settings on this TV. Thought they looked pretty nice.

Cut to me at work today browsing sites about the TV and I realized that I pulled settings from the wrong model... I felt pretty dumb. So I rushed home and tried a few of the popular settings in this thread,

And you know what? You're 100% right. As weird as it is, none of the settings looked as good for me as the ones in that random thread. And after fretting about this myself, your post only confirmed it for me. :-)
TheFid2 is offline  
post #378 of 816 Old 04-04-2014, 03:26 AM
Member
 
Zarlence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

I realize how crazy I sound for seemingly dismissing ( not what I tried to do ) some settings posted in this thread while "promoting" someone elses for the model above ours. My own settings used before these are pretty close to Bizzaro's, so I know what you're saying.

 

On first glance those settings may look completely bonkers on paper, and I might have ignored them too if someone else said what I've just said.

 

For example, I normally stick to "Warm 2" and  wouldnt set cell light nor contrast nearly that high since the panel is plenty bright, but with gamma at -2 it just works and it certainly doesnt come off too bright for me. If anything, its easy to make it too dim if set to anything less. I do however leave brightness at 45 like I said, and may nudge contrast down one or two steps as it makes a slight difference.

 

That in combination with the custom color space makes for some stunning results, and I cant even find faults in skin tones. An area where I'm usually very picky.

 

I'd suggest trying them if you havent already, no harm in that :)

Try not to dismiss them during the first few minutes, watch some HD content.. maybe give it a few hours.. and just flip back to your previous settings if it doesnt work out :)

Zarlence is offline  
post #379 of 816 Old 04-04-2014, 04:14 AM
Member
 
Zarlence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFid2 View Post


So here's what happened for me. I decided to pick up this TV last night as a replacement for a 32-inch LCD that I got 7 years ago. I remembered tweaking that set back then and that I could find great settings online. So I did a google search for picture settings on an f4500 and for some reason, a top hit was the thread you mention for the f5300. I didn't notice this and used the settings on this TV. Thought they looked pretty nice.

Cut to me at work today browsing sites about the TV and I realized that I pulled settings from the wrong model... I felt pretty dumb. So I rushed home and tried a few of the popular settings in this thread,

And you know what? You're 100% right. As weird as it is, none of the settings looked as good for me as the ones in that random thread. And after fretting about this myself, your post only confirmed it for me. :-)

I'm glad you like them too. It may come down to alot of personal preference when no proper calibration tools are involved, but if more people agree they work well there's a slight chance we're on to something :)

 

Though I usually enjoy trying to tweak the TV as best I can, it certainly is a good feeling to find someone elses settings work so well, maybe adjust them a little bit, and just enjoy some movies.

Zarlence is offline  
post #380 of 816 Old 04-04-2014, 02:12 PM
Senior Member
 
g.costanza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Grrrr! Turned on 1 week old 43f4500 today and saw a short row of black pixels a few inches from the bottom of the screen. They became "lit" about 10 seconds later. Googled the issue and read tons of complaints about them. Hope it was a fluke but I doubt it.
g.costanza is offline  
post #381 of 816 Old 04-04-2014, 04:37 PM
Member
 
EatStatic14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarlence View Post
 

I'm glad you like them too. It may come down to alot of personal preference when no proper calibration tools are involved, but if more people agree they work well there's a slight chance we're on to something :)

 

Though I usually enjoy trying to tweak the TV as best I can, it certainly is a good feeling to find someone elses settings work so well, maybe adjust them a little bit, and just enjoy some movies.

 

It's my impression those settings use the color space to fix the defects that come from using too high contrast and as you mentioned, the gamma -2 offsets the too high brightness cell light.  I also think there appears to be too much blue in the white levels.  It's a bit odd, but I do think it reflects what a proper full calibration using hardware should be like, not subjectively eyeballing patterns for a basic calibration.  I haven't directly compared it to bizarro's on the same input yet, but it does have more "pop" on OTA, but still has an excessive amount of "glow" or "haze" and some eye fatigue to view everything in at once without feeling like squinting or moving back.  Cartoon Nework HD is gorgeous, though!  No need to watch the juvenile content, just marvel at the deep colors of the programming and most commercials.

 

However, I'm starting to suspect that my pupils may be too dilated because my room is too dim and I'm used to the PC monitor at 0 brightness.  I may no longer be used to normal light levels (I do find the outside light to be annoying and overbright).  Possibly thyroid related also.

EatStatic14 is offline  
post #382 of 816 Old 04-05-2014, 12:28 PM
Member
 
Lion Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Well after obsessing for a while about the red push, I lowered the color to 45. Then adjusted my 2 point white balance.

R-Offset: 20
G-Offset: 25
B-Offset: 23
R-Gain: 21
G-Gain: 25
B-Gain: 26
Watched these reference titles
The Art of Flight(ice as white as can be)
BBC's Africa(Nature)
Avengers
UP(Animation)
Well am not touching that remote again for a while.
Depending on panel differences these might not work for your Tvs but for me, skin tones and whites are very good.
Left everything else as it was.
Mode - Movie
Cell Light 20 may also try 17
Contrast 95
Brightness 45
Sharpness 5
R/G Tint 50/50
Color Space -Auto
Gamma 0
Dynamic Contrast - off
Black Tone - Off
Flesh Tone - 0
Color Tone - Warm2
Size - Screen Fit
Digital Noise Filter - Off
Lion Rider is offline  
post #383 of 816 Old 04-05-2014, 01:06 PM
Member
 
Zarlence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatStatic14 View Post
 

 

It's my impression those settings use the color space to fix the defects that come from using too high contrast and as you mentioned, the gamma -2 offsets the too high brightness.  I also think there appears to be too much blue in the white levels.  It's a bit odd, but I do think it reflects what a proper full calibration using hardware should be like, not subjectively eyeballing patterns for a basic calibration.  I haven't directly compared it to bizarro's on the same input yet, but it does have more "pop" on OTA, but still has an excessive amount of "glow" or "haze" and some eye fatigue to view everything in at once without feeling like squinting or moving back.  Cartoon Nework HD is gorgeous, though!  No need to watch the juvenile content, just marvel at the deep colors of the programming and most commercials.

 

However, I'm starting to suspect that my pupils may be too dilated because my room is too dim and I'm used to the PC monitor at 0 brightness.  I may no longer be used to normal light levels (I do find the outside light to be annoying and overbright).  Possibly thyroid related also.


It looks a bit like a calibration done to achieve the most eye-catching colors or overall image "pop" possible, or it may just come out that way on our panels. I do however despise any TV set so it becomes too cool or..vivid. I feel this isnt that and I'm still pleased with those settings even if it may not be perfect by any stretch. The white levels being too cool/blue is an interesting point though.

 

During my blue-only mode tests using this panel, color is best set to 42-45 when using the standard picture mode and it's no different with those settings. For movie mode, assuming tint isnt touched, color sits fine at 50. I dont know how accurate that is or if its anything to care about but you could try and lower the color a bit and see if it helps with the "glow". I felt it did more harm than good, but who knows. Wonder if copying these settings to movie picture mode would make a difference there.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow111 View Post


I just tried to those settings and I think they look great on my tv, but i left the gamma at 0 and turned my brightness down to 40. Could you please post your settings? I'm interested in trying them to see how they look smile.gif


Somehow didnt notice your reply until now, sorry about that :) Will post those settings after I go through them once more, but I feel they're nothing great. Such a messy process it's been though, and like Lion Rider mentioned I think it's easy to get too much of a red push... and what I feel is too much yellow in skin tones. Brrr.. I obviously dont know what I'm doing :)

Zarlence is offline  
post #384 of 816 Old 04-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Member
 
Trelkovsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello

 

Will this thing work for connecting my analog stereo and headphones?

 

 

http://www.dx.com/es/p/digital-to-analog-audio-converter-73589#.U0B_P1c6U2J

Trelkovsky is online now  
post #385 of 816 Old 04-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Member
 
EatStatic14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarlence View Post
 


Wonder if copying these settings to movie picture mode would make a difference there.

 

I was thinking about putting in the custom color space into bizarro's and seeing what happens.  In standard mode, 10 point white balance is not available, so the 51" guy couldn't calibrate that unless he switches to movie mode.

 

I did compare bizarro's vs the 51" on the same input last night and there are color differences.  I think bizarro's has a bit more red intensity, less blue intensity and vice versa for the 51".  But overall, the 51" guy seems to have more realistic colors.  It's easiest to compare on Cartoon Network.

EatStatic14 is offline  
post #386 of 816 Old 04-05-2014, 05:26 PM
Member
 
EatStatic14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelkovsky View Post
 

Hello

 

Will this thing work for connecting my analog stereo and headphones?

 

 

http://www.dx.com/es/p/digital-to-analog-audio-converter-73589#.U0B_P1c6U2J

 

Looks like it.

EatStatic14 is offline  
post #387 of 816 Old 04-06-2014, 07:07 AM
Senior Member
 
g.costanza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unfortunately, my otherwise beautiful 43f4500 is nearly always showing the short horizontal line/row of slow-to-illuminate (approx 5-10 seconds) pixels upon turning it on. They stay black (off?). It does it about 75% of the time from turning on from being off for a few hours. The horizontal row of pixels is about 1-2" wide, followed by a couple more black pixels an inch or so to the right of the row. The row is about 5" up and 10" from the left.
g.costanza is offline  
post #388 of 816 Old 04-06-2014, 08:11 AM
Member
 
Zarlence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Just some settings I'm rather pleased with, but knowing me I'll continue to tinker endlessly *sob*

 

Picture menu
Mode: Movie
Cell Light: 16

Contrast: 92

Brightness: 44 

Sharpness: 7

Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50

Picture size submenu:
Picture Size: Screen Fit
 

Dynamic contrast: Off
Black tone: Off
Flesh tone: 0
10p White Balance: Off
Motion Lighting: Off [grayed out]

Color tone: Warm2
Digital Clean View: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off

Film mode: Disabled
Black optimizer: Dark room

 

HDMI black level: Low

'Unless the option is grayed out or if you're using PC/Full RGB levels (0-255), where it should

be set to Normal'

 

Gamma: 0

 

White balance submenu:
R-Offset: 20
G-Offset: 26
B-Offset: 25
R-Gain: 23
G-Gain: 25
B-Gain: 25

 

Color Space:Custom

Red: R42,G2,B2
Green: R15,G46,B5
Blue: R2,G0,B48
Yellow: R50,G50,B0
Cyan: R14,G49,B48
Magenta: R47,G4,B47

 

EDIT: Tossed away the old settings completely as they were based on the settings in the link I'm about to post. I simply couldnt improve on them, but I still suggest trying them in their original form as seen here : http://www.avsforum.com/t/1503133/samsung-pn51f5300-what-a-little-gem-i1pro-calibration-results-inside

 

They may look radical on paper but I think they come out surprisingly well on our model, and has me going "wow!" several times over :) And just a small note, but I leave brightness at 45 with those settings.

Zarlence is offline  
post #389 of 816 Old 04-06-2014, 08:59 AM
Newbie
 
inthemarketsam8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone, new user here this will be my very first post.
Anyway my old TV just broke so I'm going to be buying a new one this week. I know that this is a F4500 thread but I have been reading through most of the pages you all seem to be pretty knowledgeable.
So my situation is that I'm torn between buying one of the newer samsung led tvs or this TV, more specifically the FH5000- http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN39FH5000FXZA They are both about the same exact price and it will be for my college bedroom.
Any input, opinions, pros cons anything to help me make this decision will be appreciated more than you will know, Thanks in advance-inthemarket
inthemarketsam8 is offline  
post #390 of 816 Old 04-06-2014, 09:20 AM
Newbie
 
inthemarketsam8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone brand new to the forum here my very first post.
So my old TV just broke the other day so I will be looking to buy a TV this week. Thing is I'm kinda torn between two different TVs this one (the F4500) and the newer samsung LED FH5000, they are almost identical in price. And this will be for my college bedroom. I know this is a F4500 and I've read this whole thread to learn about it but if you guys can give me anything to help make this decision easier for me I would appreciate it more than you guys would know
-Thanks in advance, inthemarket!
inthemarketsam8 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn42b450 42 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60e550 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off