post #721 of 895 Old 07-20-2014, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh128 View Post
Well, the 51" version 4500 does not have cooling fans so I highly doubt the 43" version does. Also, I would be highly suspect of claims that the LG set has better image/ PQ than the Samsung. The Sammy 51" set has over 10x better contrast ratio than the 50" LGPN6500, so unless the LG 42"4500 has vastly improved contrast, I would have a hard time believing that.

Also, the 43" Samsung is available for $299 at the moment-- pretty much a steal. I will say the LG has a more pleasing bezel and stand design, I'll give it that.

As far as buzz, unless you are watching TV in a mouse-fart quiet location with the TV volume at less than 5, theres no way you'll hear it on the 51" set, let alone the 43", which I can only imaging would be even less.
I made some calls today, and the BrandsMart near me is out of the 43F4500 at $287, but their other 2 stores have it (almost an hour away). The closest Best buy said they only have 1, which often times is the display model, but another BB has 9 in inventory.

OK, trying it either way is no big deal. Just was curious if anyone thought it was better to output at 720p from the cable box/bluray, or output at 1080p and have the TV resampling to 720p.

But for BD movies, can the 43F4500 accept 24Hz (frame rate)? I've read in the past that some plasmas had issues and would need 30 or 60.I've heard there's a 10% off movers coupon that you can get at the post office, but it has some restrictions. Does anyone know if that would work with buying the PN43F4500? It would lower it about $30 if it did work.

The extended warrantie from the store is $120 for 5 year. I looked on the SquareTrade site and they only offer up to a 4 year for $55, but Amazon shows a 5 year SquareTrade for $39. I'm just not sure if you buy the Samsung in a local store, then buy the 5 year Square Trade warranty from Amazon (or if it's only for TVs purchased from Amazon). But weird that the actually web site for Square Trade doesn't show 5 year.

Last edited by FAUguy; 07-20-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 895 Old 07-20-2014, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
I made some calls today, and the BrandsMart near me is out of the 43F4500 at $287, but their other 2 stores have it (almost an hour away). The closest Best buy said they only have 1, which often times is the display model, but another BB has 9 in inventory.

OK, trying it either way is no big deal. Just was curious if anyone thought it was better to output at 720p from the cable box/bluray, or output at 1080p and have the TV resampling to 720p.

But for BD movies, can the 43F4500 accept 24Hz (frame rate)? I've read in the past that some plasmas had issues and would need 30 or 60.I've heard there's a 10% off movers coupon that you can get at the post office, but it has some restrictions. Does anyone know if that would work with buying the PN43F4500? It would lower it about $30 if it did work.

The extended warrantie from the store is $120 for 5 year. I looked on the SquareTrade site and they only offer up to a 4 year for $55, but Amazon shows a 5 year SquareTrade for $39. I'm just not sure if you buy the Samsung in a local store, then buy the 5 year Square Trade warranty from Amazon (or if it's only for TVs purchased from Amazon). But weird that the actually web site for Square Trade doesn't show 5 year.
Just a heads up BB should deliver for free-- your best bet would be to order it online with the free delivery option and you dont have to run the roads.

The set does have a 48Hz cinema smooth option made for 24hz content, but since I dont yet have a BD player I cant comment on how well it works.
post #723 of 895 Old 07-21-2014, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
^96hz
post #724 of 895 Old 07-21-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22point8 View Post
^96hz
Right, my bad.
post #725 of 895 Old 07-22-2014, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I walked into Best Buy last night, as these are on sale and the 43" is selling for $299 at the moment. There is also an open box for $267.

Unfortunately seeing the TV in person confirmed my concerns. The pixels are way too big and I can clearly see the black lines in between the pixels. It looks like someone put a black screen mesh on the surface of the display. Compared to all the other TVs, this one had terrible jaggies on computer-generated graphics such as animation, logos, and large stylized text. "Fine print" text at the bottom of commercials looked absolutely terrible, whereas it was perfectly readable on the 1080p TVs.

Granted, all the other TVs in the same size cost significantly more, in some cases twice as much or even more.

I think this TV has its strengths and its weaknesses. It's strengths are exceptional contrast ratio, detailed color adjustment/management features for calibration that are typically only seen on high end TVs, and very low price. It's weakness is the low pixel density, visible screen door effect, and and odd 1024x768 resolution (720p is supposed to be 1280x720).

My opinion is that if your viewing distance is far enough (or your eyes not so sharp), this is an incredible deal for a TV with excellent color, unbeatable contrast in its price range, and top-notch calibration adjustment controls. So this is probably the case for most people, but at my personal planned viewing distance of 3-4 feet in front of an exercise machine (I can't go back any further), the low pixel density and the large black gaps between the pixels is simply unacceptable.

I really appreciate this TV for how it stands out for what it can do, but unfortunately it doesn't suit my particular scenario. As close to the screen as I'll be, I probably need a smaller sized 1080p TV for the higher pixel density.
post #726 of 895 Old 07-22-2014, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
I walked into Best Buy last night, as these are on sale and the 43" is selling for $299 at the moment. There is also an open box for $267.

Unfortunately seeing the TV in person confirmed my concerns. The pixels are way too big and I can clearly see the black lines in between the pixels. It looks like someone put a black screen mesh on the surface of the display. Compared to all the other TVs, this one had terrible jaggies on computer-generated graphics such as animation, logos, and large stylized text. "Fine print" text at the bottom of commercials looked absolutely terrible, whereas it was perfectly readable on the 1080p TVs.

Granted, all the other TVs in the same size cost significantly more, in some cases twice as much or even more.

I think this TV has its strengths and its weaknesses. It's strengths are exceptional contrast ratio, detailed color adjustment/management features for calibration that are typically only seen on high end TVs, and very low price. It's weakness is the low pixel density, visible screen door effect, and and odd 1024x768 resolution (720p is supposed to be 1280x720).

My opinion is that if your viewing distance is far enough (or your eyes not so sharp), this is an incredible deal for a TV with excellent color, unbeatable contrast in its price range, and top-notch calibration adjustment controls. So this is probably the case for most people, but at my personal planned viewing distance of 3-4 feet in front of an exercise machine (I can't go back any further), the low pixel density and the large black gaps between the pixels is simply unacceptable.

I really appreciate this TV for how it stands out for what it can do, but unfortunately it doesn't suit my particular scenario. As close to the screen as I'll be, I probably need a smaller sized 1080p TV for the higher pixel density.
Hopefully in the next week I'll be well enough to make it to Best Buy to see the 43F4500 in person. Our viewing distance in the living room is about 10 feet, so maybe it would not be noticeable, but I do have very good vision and plan to make sure in the store.

For you, maybe take a look at the newer Vizios: M322 and M422, since they are 1080p and full array LED. I have a 1080p 32" Toshiba 32TL515 in the bedroom, and am at a distance of 8 feet from it when watching in bed, but even getting close within a few feet it is incredibly sharp. But the off-axis sucks, and black levels aren't too good. That's why I'm looking for a plasma for the living room, not the Vizio M422 LED.
post #727 of 895 Old 07-22-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Hopefully in the next week I'll be well enough to make it to Best Buy to see the 43F4500 in person. Our viewing distance in the living room is about 10 feet, so maybe it would not be noticeable, but I do have very good vision and plan to make sure in the store.

For you, maybe take a look at the newer Vizios: M322 and M422, since they are 1080p and full array LED. I have a 1080p 32" Toshiba 32TL515 in the bedroom, and am at a distance of 8 feet from it when watching in bed, but even getting close within a few feet it is incredibly sharp. But the off-axis sucks, and black levels aren't too good. That's why I'm looking for a plasma for the living room, not the Vizio M422 LED.
I view from 7-8ft, I can't see the pixels, but on something like snooker (billiards) the balls do have some edges to them, other than that the only other thing was a scene in Blade Runner with search lights coming through the ceiling of the abandoned building at the end made the black bars fluctuate a little bit, but those are worst case scenarios.
post #728 of 895 Old 07-22-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:

I have better than 20/10 vision and I couldn't see the pixels and grid any more when I got far enough back from the screen. I can only estimate the distance, but I'd guess it was around 8-10 feet. At least one negative effect still held even at that distance, like the fine print text at the bottom of the screen for commercials still looked bad, and still looked fine on all the other screens.

It's an interesting coincidence that you recommended that particular Vizio. After being disappointed with the pixel density I looked around at the smaller sets in 1080p and the M322 caught my eye. It looked good enough that I might even have bought one on the spot, but I'm partial to doing lots of research first, and I also know that what you see in the store is worthless in real life. I'll look into it more. I am partial to the picture that plasma provides, but good plasma in smaller sizes doesn't exist for sale any more.
post #729 of 895 Old 07-22-2014, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have better than 20/10 vision and I couldn't see the pixels and grid any more when I got far enough back from the screen. I can only estimate the distance, but I'd guess it was around 8-10 feet. At least one negative effect still held even at that distance, like the fine print text at the bottom of the screen for commercials still looked bad, and still looked fine on all the other screens.

It's an interesting coincidence that you recommended that particular Vizio. After being disappointed with the pixel density I looked around at the smaller sets in 1080p and the M322 caught my eye. It looked good enough that I might even have bought one on the spot, but I'm partial to doing lots of research first, and I also know that what you see in the store is worthless in real life. I'll look into it more. I am partial to the picture that plasma provides, but good plasma in smaller sizes doesn't exist for sale any more.
I measured tonight, and it's 15 feet from the front of the TV to the couch.
The specs of my 36" Panasonic TAU CRT says that the max screen resolution is 800 scan lines, so even though it accepts 1080i Component, it can only show 800 lines. It's noticeable within 5 feet, but not from where we sit.

About the Vizio, check the owners thread.
Official 2014 Vizio Mxxx-Bx Series owners thread
There have been a lot of posts of issues....sound sync, able to see the LED array, banding, poor off axis, etc. But the main one is that is my concern is that it only does 300 lines of motion resolution, which a lot of people said that motion/camera pans look bad. Even the CNET review mentioned it, and the only way to get 1080 lines of motion resolution is to enable smooth motion (and one other setting I can't remember), but you then end up with the soap opera effect. At lease with plasma the motion is good, better colors, and no off axis issues. So that's why I think for me, a plasma is the best replacement for my Panasonic CRT.
I wish they made a 42/43F5300 model with 1080p like Panasonic had their 42" 1080p.

Last edited by FAUguy; 07-22-2014 at 10:13 PM.
post #730 of 895 Old 07-23-2014, 04:07 AM

Quote:
I measured tonight, and it's 15 feet from the front of the TV to the couch.
The specs of my 36" Panasonic TAU CRT says that the max screen resolution is 800 scan lines, so even though it accepts 1080i Component, it can only show 800 lines. It's noticeable within 5 feet, but not from where we sit.

About the Vizio, check the owners thread.
Official 2014 Vizio Mxxx-Bx Series owners thread
There have been a lot of posts of issues....sound sync, able to see the LED array, banding, poor off axis, etc. But the main one is that is my concern is that it only does 300 lines of motion resolution, which a lot of people said that motion/camera pans look bad. Even the CNET review mentioned it, and the only way to get 1080 lines of motion resolution is to enable smooth motion (and one other setting I can't remember), but you then end up with the soap opera effect. At lease with plasma the motion is good, better colors, and no off axis issues. So that's why I think for me, a plasma is the best replacement for my Panasonic CRT.
I wish they made a 42/43F5300 model with 1080p like Panasonic had their 42" 1080p.
From 15' back, no matter how sharp your eyes are, there will be zero SDE even with the 51" 4500. From 15' back though, Im more concerned the 42" will be too small for you.

BTW- 800 lines of resolution is plenty for displaying 1080i- remember, 1080i frames are only 540 lines each -- each frame is interlaced or shifted up or down 1 pixel! Thats why a 720p TV can pull it off perfectly!
post #731 of 895 Old 07-23-2014, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I am usually very sensitive to pixel density and I must admit upon first setting up the TV noticed the pixels at first. But after calibrating and eliminating all the NR and auto settings in the menu, this TV is just stunning. I am sitting back about 10 feet in bed, so distance is definitely helping, but the contrast this thing gives and colour accuracy it has beats my older 1080p LCD hands down.
Josh128 likes this.
post #732 of 895 Old 07-23-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Yep, I would buy that theoretical Samsung model in a heartbeat and I'd be willing to pay quite a bit more for it! Unfortunately Samsung is leaving the plasma market, and the Panny's are long gone.
post #733 of 895 Old 07-24-2014, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I received these today http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-Kit-5...E:L:OC:GB:3160

It has 3M sticky tape on the back, and you can cut the light strip every 3 leds. Also I used my i1 Pro Rev D spectrophotometer to use the remotes DIY function, you can adjust the balance of red/green/blue, and by decreasing each you can decrease the overall brightness. I adjusted it to about 6550K and 12cdm^2 which is around 10% of the screen brightness. Also I hope the 3rd picture helps with what the ferrite and plug should look like.
Hello, when i watch the TV whit the lights off, the picture becomes dull and i notice the dithering.Similar to a matte lcd. Will this lights help?

Last edited by Trelkovsky; 07-24-2014 at 11:52 AM.
post #734 of 895 Old 07-24-2014, 01:49 PM

Did you turn off the power saving stuff, that would make things dim. Also, make sure black optimiser us set to auto as that gives the best black levels and brightest white. Having cell light 20 minimises the brightness limiting. PC mode also has less abl.
post #735 of 895 Old 07-24-2014, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Did you turn off the power saving stuff, that would make things dim. Also, make sure black optimiser us set to auto as that gives the best black levels and brightest white. Having cell light 20 minimises the brightness limiting. PC mode also has less abl.
Yes. Im using your last settings.

When i watch the tv whit some light , the picture appears more vivid, whit more pop, but when i turn off the lights, its more close to a matte lcd.

I read that bias lighting gives the effect of enhanced contrast and superior blacks.

Sorry for my English , its not my native language.
post #736 of 895 Old 07-25-2014, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Picked up a PN51F4500 720p yesterday at Best Buy in store. Used the 10% movers coupon from the Post Office's change of address envelope and got it out the door with tax and whatever fees for $373.

Picture looks great where we are using it. Will be used mostly at night in a dimly lit or completely dark room at a distance of about 18' away.

Would like to find a good calibration guide or two if anyone has a link. Don't have experience setting up a plasma screen.

Last edited by g725s; 07-25-2014 at 03:25 PM.
post #737 of 895 Old 07-25-2014, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g725s View Post
Picked up a PN51F4500 720p yesterday at Best Buy in store. Used the 10% movers coupon from the Post Office's change of address envelope and got it out the door with tax and whatever fees for $373.

Picture looks great where we are using it. Will be used mostly at night in a dimly lit or completely dark room at a distance of about 18' away.

Would like to find a good calibration guide or two if anyone has a link. Don't have experience setting up a plasma screen.
I'm thinking of getting the PN43F4500 due to a cabinet size limitation, and am surprised that the movers coupon worked, as the Best Buy site says that Samsung TVs are excluded. With the 43" being $300, it would save me about $30.
Did you buy the extended warranty?
post #738 of 895 Old 07-25-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting the PN43F4500 due to a cabinet size limitation, and am surprised that the movers coupon worked, as the Best Buy site says that Samsung TVs are excluded. With the 43" being $300, it would save me about $30.
Did you buy the extended warranty?
Mover Coupon did indeed work.

No did not buy the extended warranty. At that price, the way HDTV prices are falling, and new tech coming out all the time did not feel the need.

I've only used the TV with a thumb drive playing mkv x264 files. Will be getting cable in the next few days.

Last edited by g725s; 07-25-2014 at 03:24 PM.
post #739 of 895 Old 07-26-2014, 11:15 AM

In the UK the F4500 & F4900 are now discontinued. The 51F8500 is still listed on the Samsung UK website as a current model but totally unavailable online or in stores. The 43 and 51H4500 are the only models Samsung would still be supplying. Amazon sold out of the 43F4900 yesterday, the 51F4900 has been silly prices (£900) for a few months, and the 43 and 51F4500 have increased in price.

I think the H4500 is probably the same as the US F4500B (2014 model).
post #740 of 895 Old 07-27-2014, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

With reading a lot of plasma reviews before buying one, one thing I'm wondering about is the possible flicker.
Has anyone noticed a flicker on the PN43F4500?
If I set my NEC CRT computer monitor to 60Hz, I can clearly see a flicker, but over 75Hz I don't see it (currently set at 85Hz).
My Panasonic TAU 36" CRT HDTV in the living room I would guess is set at 60Hz for 480p and 1080i? I only see some slight flicker at 1080i, but always attributed that to it being interlaced and not progressive.
But if a plasma has noticeable flicker like a 60Hz CTR monitor, that has me concerned.
Thoughts?
post #741 of 895 Old 07-27-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
With reading a lot of plasma reviews before buying one, one thing I'm wondering about is the possible flicker.
Has anyone noticed a flicker on the PN43F4500?
If I set my NEC CRT computer monitor to 60Hz, I can clearly see a flicker, but over 75Hz I don't see it (currently set at 85Hz).
My Panasonic TAU 36" CRT HDTV in the living room I would guess is set at 60Hz for 480p and 1080i? I only see some slight flicker at 1080i, but always attributed that to it being interlaced and not progressive.
But if a plasma has noticeable flicker like a 60Hz CTR monitor, that has me concerned.
Thoughts?
Flicker is not an issue my either of my 3 plasmas. If you are used to your Tau, which is indeed a 60hz refresh (except perhaps in PC mode, where it may have a 72Hz option like my old Hitachi Ultravision Digital), you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I dont notice ANY flicker on any of my sets, especially 60Hz CRT monitor like flicker-- BTW Im sensitive to flicker at up to 75Hz on the CRT Im using to type this (Viewsonic E90fb)-- I have it set to 85 Hz to completely eliminate my perception of it.

The 4500 is the best TV for the dollar you can buy today. Was watching some of the UFC on Fox I DVR'ed on my OTA DVR last night in the bedroom and the PQ is simply jaw dropping, super amounts of depth to the picture, very 3D looking. I still maintain the 51F4500 is the best kept secret in TV today.

I'll once again recommend the 51" 4500 to you , you WONT be disappointed. I think the 43" is a great set too, but I just think its too small for your viewing distance.
post #742 of 895 Old 07-27-2014, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Flicker is not an issue my either of my 3 plasmas. If you are used to your Tau, which is indeed a 60hz refresh (except perhaps in PC mode, where it may have a 72Hz option like my old Hitachi Ultravision Digital), you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I dont notice ANY flicker on any of my sets, especially 60Hz CRT monitor like flicker-- BTW Im sensitive to flicker at up to 75Hz on the CRT Im using to type this (Viewsonic E90fb)-- I have it set to 85 Hz to completely eliminate my perception of it.

The 4500 is the best TV for the dollar you can buy today. Was watching some of the UFC on Fox I DVR'ed on my OTA DVR last night in the bedroom and the PQ is simply jaw dropping, super amounts of depth to the picture, very 3D looking. I still maintain the 51F4500 is the best kept secret in TV today.

I'll once again recommend the 51" 4500 to you , you WONT be disappointed. I think the 43" is a great set too, but I just think its too small for your viewing distance.
I looked in the user guide for the Panasonic TAU for specs, and it does say 60Hz for the set. But like you, with PC CRT monitors, I need 85Hz or higher for my eyes not to have issue. The TAU goes not have a PC mode or PC VGA input, it has 3 modes, SD, HD and Game, where the game mode looks like there are black lines (240p) across the screen.

But that's good news that the flicker isn't an issue for plasma.
With my current cabinet, that is why I'm limited to the 43", otherwise would go with the 51 F4500 or F5300. If the 43" Samsung doesn't fit, then the only other plasma option is the LG 42PN4500.

Hopefully in the next week or so if I'm feeling well enough, I'd want to check them out at Best Buy and see them for myself.
post #743 of 895 Old 07-27-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I'd want to check them out at Best Buy and see them for myself.
Just remember, the lighting in Best Buy will make them all look pretty drab. Its commonly said here, and it is no exaggeration-- the 4500s and even the 5300s will no doubt fail to impress you on the showroom floor at BB, but once you get them home, its a whole new ball game.

I recently saw 2 of my personal best for the money PN51F4500 sets in showrooms, 1 at Walmart and 1 at Best Buy, and straight up, no kidding, they looked like sh#$# compared to the LCDs. It broke my heart in a sense for the technology because I know in a home setting the PQ of those $400 720p sets will cut through $800 1080p LED/LCDs like a ninja. It really does take a bit of a leap of faith to believe this once you see what they look like in the stores, but rest assured its true.
22point8 likes this.
post #744 of 895 Old 07-27-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Just remember, the lighting in Best Buy will make them all look pretty drab. Its commonly said here, and it is no exaggeration-- the 4500s and even the 5300s will no doubt fail to impress you on the showroom floor at BB, but once you get them home, its a whole new ball game.

I recently saw 2 of my personal best for the money PN51F4500 sets in showrooms, 1 at Walmart and 1 at Best Buy, and straight up, no kidding, they looked like sh#$# compared to the LCDs. It broke my heart in a sense for the technology because I know in a home setting the PQ of those $400 720p sets will cut through $800 1080p LED/LCDs like a ninja. It really does take a bit of a leap of faith to believe this once you see what they look like in the stores, but rest assured its true.
I agree with this, at a local supermarket (the biggest Tesco in Europe) they had the Panasonic 50X60 and the Samsung 51F4500. They both looked grey and washed out like direct sunshine on a CRT. My mum though a Toshiba LED looked best (Toshiba and Sharp in europe are made by a Turkish company called Vestel who make all the cheapo supermarket brand TVs). Despite this a few months later I took a punt and ordered the 43F4900 after finding an extensive review of the F4500 on a Croatian website. I couldn't care less about the 3D of the F4900, it had a DVB-T2 (HD channels OTA)tuner, as did the panasonic, but the F4500 didn't. The Samsung had the same dimensions and smaller bezel/bigger screen. Inexplicably the new H4500 doesn't have the DVB-T2 tuner.
post #745 of 895 Old 07-27-2014, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, when I was in a BB two years ago looking at 32" bedroom TVs, all the plasmas on the wall looked much darker than the LED LCDs. But I know once they are home and calibrated, they will be OK. Even when I called Brands Mart last week to ask them if they had the Samsung or LG in stock, the guy over the phone was shocked and said that their Samsung LED would be the way to go, even through its $100 more.
post #746 of 895 Old 07-28-2014, 02:18 AM

Question for those that might know. What video file formats are playable with a USB thumb drive? And why is it that you cannot play video files with a connected HDD, only a thumb drive, if I read the manual correctly?
post #747 of 895 Old 07-28-2014, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Yes, when I was in a BB two years ago looking at 32" bedroom TVs, all the plasmas on the wall looked much darker than the LED LCDs. But I know once they are home and calibrated, they will be OK. Even when I called Brands Mart last week to ask them if they had the Samsung or LG in stock, the guy over the phone was shocked and said that their Samsung LED would be the way to go, even through its $100 more.
The brightness is better than OK in the home. I had to turn both of my Samsungs down a bit, especially for nighttime viewing, cause they get bright enough to irritate my eyes!
post #748 of 895 Old 07-28-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g725s View Post
Question for those that might know. What video file formats are playable with a USB thumb drive? And why is it that you cannot play video files with a connected HDD, only a thumb drive, if I read the manual correctly?
The USB port can only provide 5v, most portable hdds need more than that. So you can use a HDD as long as it has external power or draws less than 5v 0.5a. I've included the supported formats in the attachments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	supported video formats.PNG
Views:	19
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	183826   Click image for larger version

Name:	supported video formats 2.PNG
Views:	17
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	183834   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo music formats.PNG
Views:	13
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	183842  
post #749 of 895 Old 07-28-2014, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The brightness is better than OK in the home. I had to turn both of my Samsungs down a bit, especially for nighttime viewing, cause they get bright enough to irritate my eyes!
Besides BB, the is also a H H G that has the 43" in stock, same price. I guess between the two it doesn't matter which I purchase from, though have never bought from H H G before. The last item I got from BB was two Logitech Harmony 700 remotes 2 years ago, along with the extended warranty. 16 months after purchase, both remotes started to have issues. The BB stores refunded me for the full purchase price and the warranty, since I had to re-buy the Harmony 650 (700 was discontinued). If it wasn't for the warranty that I got on the 700, those two remotes would of ended up in the trash and would be out the extra money for the 650.
post #750 of 895 Old 07-28-2014, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
The USB port can only provide 5v, most portable hdds need more than that. So you can use a HDD as long as it has external power or draws less than 5v 0.5a. I've included the supported formats in the attachments.
on my 43" 4500 i've played avi, mp4, and mkv. it won't play wmv. it also works fine with my seagate backup plus usb hard drive. i think all the smaller usb powered hard drives will work.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn42b450 42 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60e550 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page