Samsung PNxxF4500 Owners Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 735 Old 07-20-2014, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
FAUguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh128 View Post
Well, the 51" version 4500 does not have cooling fans so I highly doubt the 43" version does. Also, I would be highly suspect of claims that the LG set has better image/ PQ than the Samsung. The Sammy 51" set has over 10x better contrast ratio than the 50" LGPN6500, so unless the LG 42"4500 has vastly improved contrast, I would have a hard time believing that.

Also, the 43" Samsung is available for $299 at the moment-- pretty much a steal. I will say the LG has a more pleasing bezel and stand design, I'll give it that.

As far as buzz, unless you are watching TV in a mouse-fart quiet location with the TV volume at less than 5, theres no way you'll hear it on the 51" set, let alone the 43", which I can only imaging would be even less.
I made some calls today, and the BrandsMart near me is out of the 43F4500 at $287, but their other 2 stores have it (almost an hour away). The closest Best buy said they only have 1, which often times is the display model, but another BB has 9 in inventory.

OK, trying it either way is no big deal. Just was curious if anyone thought it was better to output at 720p from the cable box/bluray, or output at 1080p and have the TV resampling to 720p.

But for BD movies, can the 43F4500 accept 24Hz (frame rate)? I've read in the past that some plasmas had issues and would need 30 or 60.I've heard there's a 10% off movers coupon that you can get at the post office, but it has some restrictions. Does anyone know if that would work with buying the PN43F4500? It would lower it about $30 if it did work.

The extended warrantie from the store is $120 for 5 year. I looked on the SquareTrade site and they only offer up to a 4 year for $55, but Amazon shows a 5 year SquareTrade for $39. I'm just not sure if you buy the Samsung in a local store, then buy the 5 year Square Trade warranty from Amazon (or if it's only for TVs purchased from Amazon). But weird that the actually web site for Square Trade doesn't show 5 year.

Last edited by FAUguy; 07-20-2014 at 01:08 PM.
FAUguy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 735 Old 07-20-2014, 06:40 PM
Member
 
Josh128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
I made some calls today, and the BrandsMart near me is out of the 43F4500 at $287, but their other 2 stores have it (almost an hour away). The closest Best buy said they only have 1, which often times is the display model, but another BB has 9 in inventory.

OK, trying it either way is no big deal. Just was curious if anyone thought it was better to output at 720p from the cable box/bluray, or output at 1080p and have the TV resampling to 720p.

But for BD movies, can the 43F4500 accept 24Hz (frame rate)? I've read in the past that some plasmas had issues and would need 30 or 60.I've heard there's a 10% off movers coupon that you can get at the post office, but it has some restrictions. Does anyone know if that would work with buying the PN43F4500? It would lower it about $30 if it did work.

The extended warrantie from the store is $120 for 5 year. I looked on the SquareTrade site and they only offer up to a 4 year for $55, but Amazon shows a 5 year SquareTrade for $39. I'm just not sure if you buy the Samsung in a local store, then buy the 5 year Square Trade warranty from Amazon (or if it's only for TVs purchased from Amazon). But weird that the actually web site for Square Trade doesn't show 5 year.
Just a heads up BB should deliver for free-- your best bet would be to order it online with the free delivery option and you dont have to run the roads.

The set does have a 48Hz cinema smooth option made for 24hz content, but since I dont yet have a BD player I cant comment on how well it works.
Josh128 is offline  
post #723 of 735 Old 07-21-2014, 07:26 AM
Member
 
22point8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
^96hz
22point8 is offline  
post #724 of 735 Old 07-21-2014, 02:15 PM
Member
 
Josh128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22point8 View Post
^96hz
Right, my bad.
Josh128 is offline  
post #725 of 735 Old 07-22-2014, 10:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Actionable Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I walked into Best Buy last night, as these are on sale and the 43" is selling for $299 at the moment. There is also an open box for $267.

Unfortunately seeing the TV in person confirmed my concerns. The pixels are way too big and I can clearly see the black lines in between the pixels. It looks like someone put a black screen mesh on the surface of the display. Compared to all the other TVs, this one had terrible jaggies on computer-generated graphics such as animation, logos, and large stylized text. "Fine print" text at the bottom of commercials looked absolutely terrible, whereas it was perfectly readable on the 1080p TVs.

Granted, all the other TVs in the same size cost significantly more, in some cases twice as much or even more.

I think this TV has its strengths and its weaknesses. It's strengths are exceptional contrast ratio, detailed color adjustment/management features for calibration that are typically only seen on high end TVs, and very low price. It's weakness is the low pixel density, visible screen door effect, and and odd 1024x768 resolution (720p is supposed to be 1280x720).

My opinion is that if your viewing distance is far enough (or your eyes not so sharp), this is an incredible deal for a TV with excellent color, unbeatable contrast in its price range, and top-notch calibration adjustment controls. So this is probably the case for most people, but at my personal planned viewing distance of 3-4 feet in front of an exercise machine (I can't go back any further), the low pixel density and the large black gaps between the pixels is simply unacceptable.

I really appreciate this TV for how it stands out for what it can do, but unfortunately it doesn't suit my particular scenario. As close to the screen as I'll be, I probably need a smaller sized 1080p TV for the higher pixel density.
Actionable Mango is offline  
post #726 of 735 Old 07-22-2014, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
FAUguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
I walked into Best Buy last night, as these are on sale and the 43" is selling for $299 at the moment. There is also an open box for $267.

Unfortunately seeing the TV in person confirmed my concerns. The pixels are way too big and I can clearly see the black lines in between the pixels. It looks like someone put a black screen mesh on the surface of the display. Compared to all the other TVs, this one had terrible jaggies on computer-generated graphics such as animation, logos, and large stylized text. "Fine print" text at the bottom of commercials looked absolutely terrible, whereas it was perfectly readable on the 1080p TVs.

Granted, all the other TVs in the same size cost significantly more, in some cases twice as much or even more.

I think this TV has its strengths and its weaknesses. It's strengths are exceptional contrast ratio, detailed color adjustment/management features for calibration that are typically only seen on high end TVs, and very low price. It's weakness is the low pixel density, visible screen door effect, and and odd 1024x768 resolution (720p is supposed to be 1280x720).

My opinion is that if your viewing distance is far enough (or your eyes not so sharp), this is an incredible deal for a TV with excellent color, unbeatable contrast in its price range, and top-notch calibration adjustment controls. So this is probably the case for most people, but at my personal planned viewing distance of 3-4 feet in front of an exercise machine (I can't go back any further), the low pixel density and the large black gaps between the pixels is simply unacceptable.

I really appreciate this TV for how it stands out for what it can do, but unfortunately it doesn't suit my particular scenario. As close to the screen as I'll be, I probably need a smaller sized 1080p TV for the higher pixel density.
Hopefully in the next week I'll be well enough to make it to Best Buy to see the 43F4500 in person. Our viewing distance in the living room is about 10 feet, so maybe it would not be noticeable, but I do have very good vision and plan to make sure in the store.

For you, maybe take a look at the newer Vizios: M322 and M422, since they are 1080p and full array LED. I have a 1080p 32" Toshiba 32TL515 in the bedroom, and am at a distance of 8 feet from it when watching in bed, but even getting close within a few feet it is incredibly sharp. But the off-axis sucks, and black levels aren't too good. That's why I'm looking for a plasma for the living room, not the Vizio M422 LED.
FAUguy is online now  
post #727 of 735 Old 07-22-2014, 02:55 PM
Member
 
22point8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
Hopefully in the next week I'll be well enough to make it to Best Buy to see the 43F4500 in person. Our viewing distance in the living room is about 10 feet, so maybe it would not be noticeable, but I do have very good vision and plan to make sure in the store.

For you, maybe take a look at the newer Vizios: M322 and M422, since they are 1080p and full array LED. I have a 1080p 32" Toshiba 32TL515 in the bedroom, and am at a distance of 8 feet from it when watching in bed, but even getting close within a few feet it is incredibly sharp. But the off-axis sucks, and black levels aren't too good. That's why I'm looking for a plasma for the living room, not the Vizio M422 LED.
I view from 7-8ft, I can't see the pixels, but on something like snooker (billiards) the balls do have some edges to them, other than that the only other thing was a scene in Blade Runner with search lights coming through the ceiling of the abandoned building at the end made the black bars fluctuate a little bit, but those are worst case scenarios.
22point8 is offline  
post #728 of 735 Old 07-22-2014, 03:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Actionable Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
Hopefully in the next week I'll be well enough to make it to Best Buy to see the 43F4500 in person. Our viewing distance in the living room is about 10 feet, so maybe it would not be noticeable, but I do have very good vision and plan to make sure in the store.

For you, maybe take a look at the newer Vizios: M322 and M422, since they are 1080p and full array LED. I have a 1080p 32" Toshiba 32TL515 in the bedroom, and am at a distance of 8 feet from it when watching in bed, but even getting close within a few feet it is incredibly sharp. But the off-axis sucks, and black levels aren't too good. That's why I'm looking for a plasma for the living room, not the Vizio M422 LED.
I have better than 20/10 vision and I couldn't see the pixels and grid any more when I got far enough back from the screen. I can only estimate the distance, but I'd guess it was around 8-10 feet. At least one negative effect still held even at that distance, like the fine print text at the bottom of the screen for commercials still looked bad, and still looked fine on all the other screens.

It's an interesting coincidence that you recommended that particular Vizio. After being disappointed with the pixel density I looked around at the smaller sets in 1080p and the M322 caught my eye. It looked good enough that I might even have bought one on the spot, but I'm partial to doing lots of research first, and I also know that what you see in the store is worthless in real life. I'll look into it more. I am partial to the picture that plasma provides, but good plasma in smaller sizes doesn't exist for sale any more.
Actionable Mango is offline  
post #729 of 735 Old 07-22-2014, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
FAUguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
I have better than 20/10 vision and I couldn't see the pixels and grid any more when I got far enough back from the screen. I can only estimate the distance, but I'd guess it was around 8-10 feet. At least one negative effect still held even at that distance, like the fine print text at the bottom of the screen for commercials still looked bad, and still looked fine on all the other screens.

It's an interesting coincidence that you recommended that particular Vizio. After being disappointed with the pixel density I looked around at the smaller sets in 1080p and the M322 caught my eye. It looked good enough that I might even have bought one on the spot, but I'm partial to doing lots of research first, and I also know that what you see in the store is worthless in real life. I'll look into it more. I am partial to the picture that plasma provides, but good plasma in smaller sizes doesn't exist for sale any more.
I measured tonight, and it's 15 feet from the front of the TV to the couch.
The specs of my 36" Panasonic TAU CRT says that the max screen resolution is 800 scan lines, so even though it accepts 1080i Component, it can only show 800 lines. It's noticeable within 5 feet, but not from where we sit.

About the Vizio, check the owners thread.
Official 2014 Vizio Mxxx-Bx Series owners thread
There have been a lot of posts of issues....sound sync, able to see the LED array, banding, poor off axis, etc. But the main one is that is my concern is that it only does 300 lines of motion resolution, which a lot of people said that motion/camera pans look bad. Even the CNET review mentioned it, and the only way to get 1080 lines of motion resolution is to enable smooth motion (and one other setting I can't remember), but you then end up with the soap opera effect. At lease with plasma the motion is good, better colors, and no off axis issues. So that's why I think for me, a plasma is the best replacement for my Panasonic CRT.
I wish they made a 42/43F5300 model with 1080p like Panasonic had their 42" 1080p.

Last edited by FAUguy; 07-22-2014 at 10:13 PM.
FAUguy is online now  
post #730 of 735 Old 07-23-2014, 04:07 AM
Member
 
Josh128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
I measured tonight, and it's 15 feet from the front of the TV to the couch.
The specs of my 36" Panasonic TAU CRT says that the max screen resolution is 800 scan lines, so even though it accepts 1080i Component, it can only show 800 lines. It's noticeable within 5 feet, but not from where we sit.

About the Vizio, check the owners thread.
Official 2014 Vizio Mxxx-Bx Series owners thread
There have been a lot of posts of issues....sound sync, able to see the LED array, banding, poor off axis, etc. But the main one is that is my concern is that it only does 300 lines of motion resolution, which a lot of people said that motion/camera pans look bad. Even the CNET review mentioned it, and the only way to get 1080 lines of motion resolution is to enable smooth motion (and one other setting I can't remember), but you then end up with the soap opera effect. At lease with plasma the motion is good, better colors, and no off axis issues. So that's why I think for me, a plasma is the best replacement for my Panasonic CRT.
I wish they made a 42/43F5300 model with 1080p like Panasonic had their 42" 1080p.
From 15' back, no matter how sharp your eyes are, there will be zero SDE even with the 51" 4500. From 15' back though, Im more concerned the 42" will be too small for you.

BTW- 800 lines of resolution is plenty for displaying 1080i- remember, 1080i frames are only 540 lines each -- each frame is interlaced or shifted up or down 1 pixel! Thats why a 720p TV can pull it off perfectly!
Josh128 is offline  
post #731 of 735 Old 07-23-2014, 05:18 AM
Newbie
 
e0feldgg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
I have better than 20/10 vision and I couldn't see the pixels and grid any more when I got far enough back from the screen. I can only estimate the distance, but I'd guess it was around 8-10 feet. At least one negative effect still held even at that distance, like the fine print text at the bottom of the screen for commercials still looked bad, and still looked fine on all the other screens.

It's an interesting coincidence that you recommended that particular Vizio. After being disappointed with the pixel density I looked around at the smaller sets in 1080p and the M322 caught my eye. It looked good enough that I might even have bought one on the spot, but I'm partial to doing lots of research first, and I also know that what you see in the store is worthless in real life. I'll look into it more. I am partial to the picture that plasma provides, but good plasma in smaller sizes doesn't exist for sale any more.
I am usually very sensitive to pixel density and I must admit upon first setting up the TV noticed the pixels at first. But after calibrating and eliminating all the NR and auto settings in the menu, this TV is just stunning. I am sitting back about 10 feet in bed, so distance is definitely helping, but the contrast this thing gives and colour accuracy it has beats my older 1080p LCD hands down.
e0feldgg is offline  
post #732 of 735 Old 07-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Actionable Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
I wish they made a 42/43F5300 model with 1080p like Panasonic had their 42" 1080p.
Yep, I would buy that theoretical Samsung model in a heartbeat and I'd be willing to pay quite a bit more for it! Unfortunately Samsung is leaving the plasma market, and the Panny's are long gone.
Actionable Mango is offline  
post #733 of 735 Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM
Member
 
Trelkovsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22point8 View Post
I received these today http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-Kit-5...E:L:OC:GB:3160







It has 3M sticky tape on the back, and you can cut the light strip every 3 leds. Also I used my i1 Pro Rev D spectrophotometer to use the remotes DIY function, you can adjust the balance of red/green/blue, and by decreasing each you can decrease the overall brightness. I adjusted it to about 6550K and 12cdm^2 which is around 10% of the screen brightness. Also I hope the 3rd picture helps with what the ferrite and plug should look like.
Hello, when i watch the TV whit the lights off, the picture becomes dull and i notice the dithering.Similar to a matte lcd. Will this lights help?

Last edited by Trelkovsky; Yesterday at 11:52 AM.
Trelkovsky is offline  
post #734 of 735 Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
Member
 
22point8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Did you turn off the power saving stuff, that would make things dim. Also, make sure black optimiser us set to auto as that gives the best black levels and brightest white. Having cell light 20 minimises the brightness limiting. PC mode also has less abl.
22point8 is offline  
post #735 of 735 Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM
Member
 
Trelkovsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22point8 View Post
Did you turn off the power saving stuff, that would make things dim. Also, make sure black optimiser us set to auto as that gives the best black levels and brightest white. Having cell light 20 minimises the brightness limiting. PC mode also has less abl.
Yes. Im using your last settings.

When i watch the tv whit some light , the picture appears more vivid, whit more pop, but when i turn off the lights, its more close to a matte lcd.

I read that bias lighting gives the effect of enhanced contrast and superior blacks.

Sorry for my English , its not my native language.
Trelkovsky is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn42b450 42 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60e550 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off