post #871 of 895 Old 08-30-2014, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh128 View Post
If Im not mistaken, the set comes with a 1yr warranty. At $299, spending an additional $120 is a horrible deal in my opinion, especially considering one year from now (when you would still be covered by Samsung) your replacement TV will NOT be a plasma, as they will no longer be available this time next year. If it was a $500+ tv, then maybe the warranty would be worth it. Just my opinion, save your $$$.

A quality surge protector would probably be better than that warranty.
Yeah, my thinking was that since there will be no more plasmas, that if it can't be fixed/repaired, that BB then gives you a store credit.
Naturally you'd want it fixed and still have a plasma than replaced with an LED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 895 Old 08-31-2014, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Rider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMiggen View Post
Cool thanks, any word on game mode?
Menu>Setup>General- Game Mode.
For some reasons only known to Samsung it's like they are hiding this feature.
Ahh Thx. That is strange they hide it there.
post #873 of 895 Old 09-09-2014, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone happen to have the H4500 model that I have here in Europe? I'm trying to find out exactly what it is that the "Football Mode" does as it's not with the picture presets. Could it possibly be doing something other than saturation and sharpness setting manipulation?
post #874 of 895 Old 09-10-2014, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley View Post
Does anyone happen to have the H4500 model that I have here in Europe? I'm trying to find out exactly what it is that the "Football Mode" does as it's not with the picture presets. Could it possibly be doing something other than saturation and sharpness setting manipulation?
I don't have one, but it lets you zoom in on a section of screen with the 1-9 keys, so the screen has 9 zoomable zones. In India its a 'cricket mode'. I don't know if its like 'sports mode on my F4900 which is just 'dynamic make everything look **** mode'.

Shame the H4900 is only for Africa and Asia, it has a freeze frame and frame capture to USB options.

Glad I got my F4900 when I did, its discontinued now and only available used, for much more than I paid for a new one from Amazon. Also wish the other models like F5300 were available in the UK, and F5500 and F8500 were available in the 43" size, not everyone has room for 51+". I'm sure panasonic had their top models available in 42" and 46".
post #875 of 895 Old 09-10-2014, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Anyone use digital clean view with cable connection?
post #876 of 895 Old 09-10-2014, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Break-in Settings

What are the Samsung recommended panel break-in settings?
post #877 of 895 Old 09-11-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22point8 View Post
^^
Hi 22point8. What TV model do you have again? I have been using Bizarro's settings on my PN43f4500 with great success but I think I may give yours a whirl.
post #878 of 895 Old 09-11-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Vincent Praino View Post
Hi 22point8. What TV model do you have again? I have been using Bizarro's settings on my PN43f4500 with great success but I think I may give yours a whirl.
PS43F4900AKXXU made in Hungary 2014. Its a F4500 with 3D and a DVB-T2 tuner.

Samsung PNxxF4500 Owners Thread

...and here are the settings.

Last edited by 22point8; 09-11-2014 at 04:20 PM.
post #879 of 895 Old 09-11-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
PS43F4900AKXXU made in Hungary 2014. Its a F4500 with 3D and a DVB-T2 tuner.

...and here are the settings.
Aside from the new features, is there any difference between the panels? I have been using your settings all evening and am enjoying the presentation.
post #880 of 895 Old 09-11-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Aside from the new features, is there any difference between the panels? I have been using your settings all evening and am enjoying the presentation.
My panel version is version 09 January 2014. Max power 194W, Typical power 90W.

Last edited by 22point8; 09-11-2014 at 05:10 PM.
post #881 of 895 Old 09-12-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
My panel version is version 09 January 2014. Max power 194W, Typical power 90W.
My panel is rated a little different when it comes to Watts. The settings look decent though. Do you think there are major differences in black levels/color between the two?
post #882 of 895 Old 09-12-2014, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
If Im not mistaken, the set comes with a 1yr warranty. At $299, spending an additional $120 is a horrible deal in my opinion, especially considering one year from now (when you would still be covered by Samsung) your replacement TV will NOT be a plasma, as they will no longer be available this time next year. If it was a $500+ tv, then maybe the warranty would be worth it. Just my opinion, save your $$$.

A quality surge protector would probably be better than that warranty.
An additional peace of mind that doesn't get discussed is if you pay for your TV with any of the 4 major credit cards (AMEX, VIsa, Mastercard, Discover) you'll automatically qualify for an additional year of warranty coverage. This is why I don't stress too much about purchasing additional warranty on big ticket items.
In my case I use Discover for big ticket purchases and they'll tack on an additional year warranty on top of a maximum 36 months manufacturer's warranty. It's a judgment call, but sometimes I'll go for the lower 2 yr. manufacturer's warranty and walk out the door with a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that my item is actually covered for 3 years because I paid for it using my Discover card. But other times I don't purchase additional manufacturer's warranty because I'm still walking out the door with a 2 year warranty; 1 yr. manufacturer's and 1 yr. Discover card coverage. More info. about Credit Card extended warranty coverage: http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...nties-1273.php
post #883 of 895 Old 09-12-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
My panel is rated a little different when it comes to Watts. The settings look decent though. Do you think there are major differences in black levels/color between the two?
Someone else in this topic has a F4500 and a probe. The way he measured is slightly different ( he measured colour at 100% amplitude/100% saturation, whereas for best results I use 75/75, anyway, his settings for the CMS were virtually identical to what I got at 100/100, so i would say the panels are built in such a way that the difference between units is incredibly small. Before buying my TV I read a foreign review, (Bosnia I think) and it said that their F4500 review unit measured identically to their previous years E450 sample.

The main difference is my black level is amazingly good, I get 0.009 candela with black optimiser off or dark room, and 0.0068 with black optimiser auto.

The other guy got 0.013 on his F4500, I don't know if he used black optimiser or not, its a really good feature.

Dark room has a barely any better black level and cuts maximum light output a bit.

Bright room gives a max light output boost and might rise black level a bit.

Auto gives darker black and brighter white, I get 20000:1 on/off contrast as opposed to 15000:1 without.

From the limited amount I can find to read, it remaps 16-235 to 0-255 to give more graduations, and in dark areas instead of illuminating at the normal rate, it refreshes those areas at half the rate so they end up darker.

Going back to the measured 0.013 of the F4500, thats with a full black screen, on mine with a ANSI contrast pattern I still get a black of 0.014 and contrast ratio of 5500:1, my Sony PVM CRT (0.002 candela on/off black level) only has 7:1 ANSI contrast!

So with half the screen white I still get 0.014 candela black.
post #884 of 895 Old 09-12-2014, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
6 months with the f4500 and still think it is a tremendous tv at a bargain price.
Josh128 likes this.
post #885 of 895 Old 09-13-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Someone else in this topic has a F4500 and a probe. The way he measured is slightly different ( he measured colour at 100% amplitude/100% saturation, whereas for best results I use 75/75, anyway, his settings for the CMS were virtually identical to what t at 100/100, so i would say the panels are built in such a way that the difference between units is incredibly small. Before buying my TV I read a foreign review, (Bosnia I think) and it said that their F4500 review unit measured identically to their previous years E450 sample.

The main difference is my black level is amazingly good, I get 0.009 candela with black optimiser off or dark room, and 0.0068 with black optimiser auto.

The other guy got 0.013 on his F4500, I don't know if he used black optimiser or not, its a really good feature.

Dark room has a barely any better black level and cuts maximum light output a bit.

Bright room gives a max light output boost and might rise black level a bit.

Auto gives darker black and brighter white, I get 20000:1 on/off contrast as opposed to 15000:1 without.

From the limited amount I can find to read, it remaps 16-235 to 0-255 to give more graduations, and in dark areas instead of illuminating at the normal rate, it refreshes those areas at half the rate so they end up darker.

Going back to the measured 0.013 of the F4500, thats with a full black screen, on mine with a ANSI contrast pattern I still get a black of 0.014 and contrast ratio of 5500:1, my Sony PVM CRT (0.002 candela on/off black level) only has 7:1 ANSI contrast!

So with half the screen white I still get 0.014 candela black.
Thanks for this! Which of your settings should you recommend for Netflix coming in over HDMI. Likewise, I have an nvidia shield for gaming that is able to send the full 0-255 range to the TV. If I change the the TV black levels to normal instead of low will that affect the black optimiser?
post #886 of 895 Old 09-13-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks for this! Which of your settings should you recommend for Netflix coming in over HDMI. Likewise, I have an nvidia shield for gaming that is able to send the full 0-255 range to the TV. If I change the the TV black levels to normal instead of low will that affect the black optimiser?
Its very hard to say, different devices use different levels, for example a PS3 looks fine with RGB Full+Normal and RGB Limited+Low, but if you try to play a PS2 classic in RGB Full everything is grey because it can only play in Limited range. So on a PS3 always use Limited range ad low.

Basically 0-255 should use HDMI Black Normal, and 16-235 should use Low. If you're using something like a chromecast its 0-255, a blu-ray player would be 16-235 unless you specifically set it to 0-255.

The video content itself would still be 16-235 so black optimiser would probably still expand the levels for more steps of graduation.

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/HD...-Special.shtml

Quote:
On the processing side, the F8500 plasma offers a new "Black Optimizer" function. This feature can stretch the set's brightest white from 235 to 255 (on a brightness scale of 0 to 255). Why would this matter? This processing allows the typical peak brightness in most content (235) to come closer to the set's actual maximum light output (255). So this produces higher peak white output as well as smoother gradations on real world content, not just test patterns. And if the processor detects that there is actual picture information in the range between 235 and 255 on the program material, then it scales back the processing so as not to "clip" the whites or wash out those white details.

This can be particularly helpful in brighter rooms, where that extra bit of peak brightness makes a big difference. You can set the "Black Optimizer" to "Bright Room," "Dark Room" or "Automatic" (the default) which uses an ambient light sensor on the TV to decide when to make the adjustments.

A second component of the Black Optimizer is a proprietary reset pulse algorithm which improves the black level performance and is active when the Black Optimizer is set to "Dark Room," "Bright Room" or "Auto." There is actually an "Off" setting in the Black Optimizer which disables both the brightness enhancements and the reset pulse, but really the only purpose for the "Off" button is to see what you would be missing without it. Most users will be happy with the set in the "Auto" mode and purists will probably want to keep it in the "Dark room" setting.
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsu...ge=Performance
Quote:
When we first caught sight of the Samsung PS64F8500 at the 2013 CES in January, we called the performance of the TV “OLED-like”, which was a bold statement that probably caused a few eyebrows to be raised.
Have a look at the overall contrast performance of one, and we think you’ll agree that this is really not a crazy remark. The PS-64F8500′s best black level, which we measured from a nearly-black screen at 0.006 cd/m2, is neck and neck with this year’s Panasonics. The F8500 dims to near-black if an entirely black screen is input; we defeated this behaviour by keeping a small patch on screen (far away from the measurement area). Just for the record, we achieved these results by using the [Black Optimiser] feature. Setting this to “Dark Room” results in the 0.006 cd/m2 black level. By default, it’s at 0.018 cd/m2, which is still extremely good, but the extra depth of the “Dark Room” setting will be visible and appreciable in… well, a dark room. The menu blurb for this control promises that it will “get deeper blacks and magnify the contrast of low gradation by using PDP waveform and signal compensation”.
This control governs the use of Interlaced 30hz Reset Pulses in the panel driving algorithm. We will need to clarify this with Samsung’s PDP engineers, but our understanding is that this technique allows for very dark areas of the picture to be refreshed every second line, which in turn allows for considerably deeper blacks, and a hardly noticeable line pattern running through these areas. That’s an excellent trade-off, in our view.
If you press your nose up to the panel and look at it very carefully with a dark screen in a dark room, you’ll be able to see very small darker lines appearing to scroll up the screen at a fast rate.That’s hardly worth mentioning, but it’s interesting because we typically see this same effect on Panasonic plasma TVs (and from our recollection, Pioneer’s Kuro plasmas used it first). In fact, in 2012, we saw it on Panasonic plasmas, but only on the picture modes that prioritised contrast performance over gradation quality. “Ah-ha!” we thought, “is this a feature which reduces gradation in exchange for better contrast performance?” – apparently not. We had a look at just-above-black content on the PS64F8500 with and without the [Black Optimiser] mode on the “Dark Room” setting, and could see no difference in the amount of panel-generated dithering in the image, suggesting that the gradation is the same in both cases. Therefore, we left this feature on at all times, because we could see no reason not to.
It’s very interesting that Samsung felt the need to make this adjustable with a menu control: we searched high and low for this control causing other side-effects in the image, bombarding the 64-inch F8500 with test patterns and real-world content alike… and couldn’t find any significant downsides to turning it on. Perhaps they simply did so to draw attention to the improvement in black level.
A slightly less mundane difference relates to flicker. With the “Dark Room” mode turned on, we occasionally saw some very, very, very gentle flicker in some shades (10-20% grey windows, for example). This was incredibly mild to begin with, but disappeared when the feature was turned off. That is perhaps why control has been given over it. In any case, 99.9% of viewers will notice the richer contrast performance of the “Dark Room” mode more than the barely noticeable flicker, which is why we recommend this setting. The choice is down to the user.
I think sometime after, or maybe just for the F4500/4900 something changed that makes [AUTO] the best option.

Last edited by 22point8; 09-13-2014 at 10:07 AM.
post #887 of 895 Old 09-13-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Its very hard to say, different devices use different levels, for example a PS3 looks fine with RGB Full+Normal and RGB Limited+Low, but if you try to play a PS2 classic in RGB Full everything is grey because it can only play in Limited range. So on a PS3 always use Limited range ad low.

Basically 0-255 should use HDMI Black Normal, and 16-235 should use Low. If you're using something like a chromecast its 0-255, a blu-ray player would be 16-235 unless you specifically set it to 0-255.

The video content itself would still be 16-235 so black optimiser would probably still expand the levels for more steps of graduation.

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/HD...-Special.shtml

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsu...ge=Performance

I think sometime after, or maybe just for the F4500/4900 something changed that makes [AUTO] the best option.
This is very helpful. Thank you very much!
.SKITTLE. likes this.
post #888 of 895 Old 09-13-2014, 06:18 PM

I purchased a PN43F4500BFXZA a week ago. I use HDMI cable from satellite receiver to TV. What would cause:

1. My 'Screen Fit' option to be grayed out (actually Wide Fit & Screen Fit are both grayed out).
2. My 'Film Mode' option to be grayed out.
post #889 of 895 Old 09-13-2014, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just bought this TV after discovering it on The Wirecutter and reading it about in this thread. Thanks to everyone for all the great information.

I've read this entire thread, and a bunch of the Image Retention sticky. I used to be pretty "geeky" about TVs and Home Theater gear, but I'm out of the loop now.

I've decided to "break in" the TV by just using it, and probably won't run slides or anything. Are there any settings, features, or adjustments I should absolutely use or absolutely avoid?

Thanks again for helping me decide on this TV. I'm blown away by the quality right out of the box.
.SKITTLE. likes this.
post #890 of 895 Old 09-14-2014, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven L View Post
I purchased a PN43F4500BFXZA a week ago. I use HDMI cable from satellite receiver to TV. What would cause:

1. My 'Screen Fit' option to be grayed out (actually Wide Fit & Screen Fit are both grayed out).
2. My 'Film Mode' option to be grayed out.
If the output on your receiver is set to "auto"-- it may be sending 1024x768 res to the set. This would cause those options to be grayed out. You may have to go into the box and manually set the output to either 720p or 1080i or 1080p. This should open up those options. As to which one produces the best image on your set, its not necessarily going to be the highest one, but then again it might be. You'll just have to try each and pick the one you think looks the best.
.SKITTLE. and Steven L like this.
post #891 of 895 Old 09-14-2014, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy16 View Post
I just bought this TV after discovering it on The Wirecutter and reading it about in this thread. Thanks to everyone for all the great information.

I've read this entire thread, and a bunch of the Image Retention sticky. I used to be pretty "geeky" about TVs and Home Theater gear, but I'm out of the loop now.

I've decided to "break in" the TV by just using it, and probably won't run slides or anything. Are there any settings, features, or adjustments I should absolutely use or absolutely avoid?

Thanks again for helping me decide on this TV. I'm blown away by the quality right out of the box.
Congrats on a great choice. May I ask, what was the sticker price on it? The prices have been swinging from $379 to $429 lately.

Nothing special to do in break in. Just keep cell light below 16 for now (12-14 is good), avoid "Dynamic" preset, and turn "Eco Sensor/Mode" off. Dont keep it on channels that have constant logos like the Food Network for more than an hour or so without varying the content. Follow those guidlines and you are good. After about 200 hours or so, feel free to do what ever you please with it!
.SKITTLE. likes this.
post #892 of 895 Old 09-14-2014, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Congrats on a great choice. May I ask, what was the sticker price on it? The prices have been swinging from $379 to $429 lately.

Nothing special to do in break in. Just keep cell light below 16 for now (12-14 is good), avoid "Dynamic" preset, and turn "Eco Sensor/Mode" off. Dont keep it on channels that have constant logos like the Food Network for more than an hour or so without varying the content. Follow those guidlines and you are good. After about 200 hours or so, feel free to do what ever you please with it!
Thank you.

I bought it at Best Buy Canada, the sticker price was $399.99, but I paid $322.99 after they price matched and discounted 10% of the difference.

Thanks for the great advice. I appreciate it.
post #893 of 895 Old 09-15-2014, 05:03 AM

Thanks Josh! That fixed the 'screen fit' problem. Film mode option is still grayed out but I will tinker with it more. Thanks again.
post #894 of 895 Old 09-16-2014, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Visible SDE watching from 6-7 feet for the 43F4500?
post #895 of 895 Old 09-17-2014, 06:49 AM

I do not see the SDE from 6'-7'. I do from 2' and maybe 3' but the color looks so good the SDE does not bother me. I have a 55" 1080p Panasonic plasma. The SDE definitely shows more on the Samsung 720p but only from about 2'. I must have tried 6 or so different picture settings from users on this forum. I finally zeroed in on one that looked good for me and then tweaked it just a little for my preference. My 43F4500 looks really, really good. I am very happy to have this plasma. With my Panasonic I had read ahead of time it would look bad out of the box. That was so true. I immediately made picture setting changes recommended by users and wow. Same with this Sammy. I think it would be hard to find another TV with this picture quality for this price, $299.
foghorn2 and Josh128 like this.

Panasonic Plasma TC-P55UT50
Vizio M422i-B1
Samsung LED UH32EH4003F
Sony LCD KDL-32EX400
DirecTV Genie System
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn42b450 42 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60e550 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page