Samsung PNxxF4500 Owners Thread - Page 43 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 1545 Old 02-09-2015, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I own the 43" 4500A and 51" 4500B. There is no difference in overall picture quality. I keep the 43" in my bedroom. The picture is spectacular for dark room viewing with bias lighting. You'll be fine with either version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1545 Old 02-09-2015, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought the 51 inch version last week. So far so good until day 3. Since then, when I turn on the TV, it will have a "patch" of purple pixels. They stay there for awhile but start to "disappear" as the TV warms up. After about a minute, all the purple pixels are gone and the set looks fine.

What's going on with my TV? Would you all recommend:

• Refund?
  • Exchange?
  • Repair under warranty?

Has this happened to anyone else's set? I couldn't find mention of this issue in the forum.
post #1263 of 1545 Old 02-09-2015, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddoggin View Post
I bought the 51 inch version last week. So far so good until day 3. Since then, when I turn on the TV, it will have a "patch" of purple pixels. They stay there for awhile but start to "disappear" as the TV warms up. After about a minute, all the purple pixels are gone and the set looks fine.

• Refund?
  • Exchange?
  • Repair under warranty?

Has this happened to anyone else's set? I couldn't find mention of this issue in the forum.
I never had a patch of purple pixels, but I did have an issue where the tv sounded like it was turning on after it was already on 3 or 4 times a day. I returned it for a new one and haven't had a problem with this one at all. I would recommend an exchange. If you got it from Best Buy, keep in mind that they only allow 15 days on tv sets. I wasn't aware of this and returned mine on day 17, but they were nice enough to allow me to still exchange it. After talking with our repair shop, they basically scared me away with their poor customer service (we've got a monopoly on servicing Samsung in your area and we will get to it when we want kind of attitude) and went with an exchange.
post #1264 of 1545 Old 02-10-2015, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22point8 View Post
I recommend this on mode 4 and dynamic http://beginwithsoftware.com/videogu.../#.VL5-30qsXq2.
I ran this for a about 4 hours yesterday, and can still somewhat see the channel logo on the top-right when there is a light colored screen (all white or blue sky).
How do you think I would need to keep running this dics for days to get rid of it, or is it now going to be perennate?
post #1265 of 1545 Old 02-10-2015, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 19
By the way, Samsung has finally posted the 1006 firmware on their site.
When I purchased 2 of the 43" last October, one came with 1006 but the other was 1003 and there was no update on the site. I ended up returning the 1003 because of dead pixels.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...N43F4500BFXZA#
post #1266 of 1545 Old 02-10-2015, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Vincent Praino View Post
I think panel differences were mostly attributed to the A & B versions of the F5300 series. I haven't heard of any measurable difference between A & B for the F4500. My F4500 is an A version and it looks fantastic - blacks that easily rival my F8500.
@michael , having both tvs, what are your observations regarding, color accuracy, contrast & black levels between the two models.
Also is there any difference in CMS control between these tvs.
post #1267 of 1545 Old 02-10-2015, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Rider View Post
@michael , having both tvs, what are your observations regarding, color accuracy, contrast & black levels between the two models.
Also is there any difference in CMS control between these tvs.
I have the PN43F4500 and a PN51F8500, neither are calibrated so I use the best out of box settings and set contrast, brightness, etc right.

The 51 is noticeably sharper and colors appear much more accurate as well. You can notice the greater contrast ratio as well. The 43 is no slouch for the price though and still looks very impressive. I would say the 43 comes closest to the 51 in its black levels out of all the pq areas.
post #1268 of 1545 Old 02-10-2015, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddoggin View Post

• Refund?
  • Exchange?
  • Repair under warranty?

This happened with my BFXZA 51" after a few months, and it got pretty bad, with patches of pixels creeping in from the top left corner of the screen and not going away, in fact getting worse when the TV warmed up. Had to replace the Y-SUS board. It fixed the problem, but every now and then on power up I see a few red/purple pixels for a few seconds. Its been about 2 months since the repair and still working great.

Since you just bought it, call Samsung and notify them of the issue. It may not be serious, but its brand new and shouldnt really be doing that.

Displays: Samsung PN51F5300BFXA, PN51F4500AFXA, PN51F4500BFXA

Last edited by Josh128; 02-10-2015 at 07:31 PM.
post #1269 of 1545 Old 02-10-2015, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsketchie View Post
Quick question for you Josh:

I've scanned and searched this massive thread and didn't find any comments on whether there are significant differences between the AFXZA and BFXZA F4500 models. Since you own one of each, could you give me any info you may have? I'm thinking of snagging a 43" F4500 on craiglist, and I'm sure one or both varieties will be on there. My 51" F5300 is the BFXZA model, and I recall a consensus that the B revision was a newer panel with better black levels and better settings out of the box, so I'm just checking to see if the same holds true for the F4500.
Agree with MVP on this-- I have two 51"s, A and B, and to me, there is no noticable difference in PQ. The AFXZA version, in fact, still impresses me every time I watch something on it. Its my bedroom set, and its simply fantastic looking.

The only differences I can say Ive noticed is that the AFXZA has an "Expert Pattern" screen option in the menu, and the boot splash screen looks slightly different on each set. Hard to describe, but the BFXZA's splash logo looks like it has some very, very faint horizontal scanlines in it, while the AFXZA doesnt.

post #1270 of 1545 Old 02-11-2015, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Vincent Praino View Post
I think panel differences were mostly attributed to the A & B versions of the F5300 series. I haven't heard of any measurable difference between A & B for the F4500. My F4500 is an A version and it looks fantastic - blacks that easily rival my F8500.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer88 View Post
I own the 43" 4500A and 51" 4500B. There is no difference in overall picture quality. I keep the 43" in my bedroom. The picture is spectacular for dark room viewing with bias lighting. You'll be fine with either version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh128 View Post
Agree with MVP on this-- I have two 51"s, A and B, and to me, there is no noticable difference in PQ. The AFXZA version, in fact, still impresses me every time I watch something on it. Its my bedroom set, and its simply fantastic looking.

The only differences I can say Ive noticed is that the AFXZA has an "Expert Pattern" screen option in the menu, and the boot splash screen looks slightly different on each set. Hard to describe, but the BFXZA's splash logo looks like it has some very, very faint horizontal scanlines in it, while the AFXZA doesnt.
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like i'll ignore the model number and just focus on finding one period. I still haven't gotten a response from the owner on craigslist, so it looks like i'll play the waiting game and see what pops up over the next couple of months. Too bad too, since he was selling it for $250 OBO.
post #1271 of 1545 Old 02-11-2015, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi All,

I picked up a PN51F4500BFXZA in early January and really enjoying it so far. The information in this thread has been incredibly helpful as this is my first plasma.

I watched it last night and it was flawless. However, this morning when I powered on the unit the entire screen had blue and red vertical lines throughout. I left the set on for about 15 minutes, changed inputs, etc., and the lines remained. Has anyone ever seen this problem before?

I sent an email to Samsung support to see what help they can offer/suggest. I will update here with their feedback accordingly in case anyone else experiences this.

MPH
post #1272 of 1545 Old 02-11-2015, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphst15 View Post
Hi All,

I picked up a PN51F4500BFXZA in early January and really enjoying it so far. The information in this thread has been incredibly helpful as this is my first plasma.

I watched it last night and it was flawless. However, this morning when I powered on the unit the entire screen had blue and red vertical lines throughout. I left the set on for about 15 minutes, changed inputs, etc., and the lines remained. Has anyone ever seen this problem before?

I sent an email to Samsung support to see what help they can offer/suggest. I will update here with their feedback accordingly in case anyone else experiences this.

MPH
Doesnt sound good, call Samsung and open a warranty service request immediately.

post #1273 of 1545 Old 02-12-2015, 07:20 AM

Thanks Josh128.

I did just that and Samsung support instructed me to do the following:

1. Please remove surge protector if it is connected.
2. Please try with different cables.
3. Please try with different power outlets.
4. Please disconnect the external devices connected to the TV and check whether issue persists.
5. Please un-plug and re-plug the unit and check whether issue persists. If you face any difficulty in un-plug and re-plug the unit form the power outlet please trip down the circuit breaker.
6. Please navigate to Menu >> Support >> Self Diagnosis>> Picture Test and check whether the same issue persists on that picture also.
7. Please press menu button on the remote control and check whether the same issue persists on the Menu screen which appears on the TV screen.
8. If issue persists, he issue might be with the Internal component of the unit which requires physical examination by Samsung Authorized service technician. nce you file a service request, you will get the contact number of service centre. You can call them to know the complete information about the service process/cost.[/INDENT]

None of the above corrected my issue so now I have an in-home service request in place. Supposed to hear back within 24 hours the next steps.

MPH
post #1274 of 1545 Old 02-12-2015, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, these are the same steps I had to go through-- once they didnt work, the local TV repair shop came out and did the diagnosis and Y-sustain board replacement under warranty. They followed up with me a week later, I was very satisfied with the repair.

Overall it was a very painless experience, but the local TV repair shop has been around for years and has some very experienced guys. Hopefully you have a good local shop contracted to Samsung that will come do the work for you.

post #1275 of 1545 Old 02-13-2015, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Note for anyone still thinking about buying one of these. I noticed that these disappeared from the Bestbuy website last night. Not sure if they're just out of stock or if the end is truly near. I'm picking one up in store later today while I still can.
post #1276 of 1545 Old 02-13-2015, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Picture modes

On this set, is there an inherent difference among the picture modes if the same settings are used? In other words, if the same settings (cell light, contrast, sharpness, etc.) are input in both standard mode and movie mode, will the picture be the same, or is there something in the mode itself that will cause the picture to be different?

Thank you. Jeff
post #1277 of 1545 Old 02-13-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBirk View Post
On this set, is there an inherent difference among the picture modes if the same settings are used? In other words, if the same settings (cell light, contrast, sharpness, etc.) are input in both standard mode and movie mode, will the picture be the same, or is there something in the mode itself that will cause the picture to be different?

Thank you. Jeff
There are difference:

Vivid is the by far the brightest and least realistic. It also gives you the least amount of controls - most would advice against using Vivid

Movie is the most accurate out of box and also the dimmest (still bright enough though!). It gives you access to the most controls and is recommended by most.

Standard is a middle ground between vivid and movie.
post #1278 of 1545 Old 02-13-2015, 08:09 AM

Ok, I understand that. But if standard and movie give you the same controls, and you set them the same (again, same cell light, contrast, etc.), will the picture be the same? Or will it be different for some reason even though the settings are the same?
post #1279 of 1545 Old 02-13-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Ok, I understand that. But if standard and movie give you the same controls, and you set them the same (again, same cell light, contrast, etc.), will the picture be the same? Or will it be different for some reason even though the settings are the same?
Different still.
post #1280 of 1545 Old 02-13-2015, 11:53 AM

Got a call from Samsung service about scheduling an in home service call. Set for this coming Wednesday. Would've preferred they come out sooner of course but all in all (so far) this process has been relatively painless. Fingers crossed, will update accordingly.

MPH
post #1281 of 1545 Old 02-14-2015, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrke1 View Post
Note for anyone still thinking about buying one of these. I noticed that these disappeared from the Bestbuy website last night. Not sure if they're just out of stock or if the end is truly near. I'm picking one up in store later today while I still can.
Im sure the end is truly near by now. It only took a few months after Panasonic ceased production that they were no longer available either. The incredible prices Samsung have been selling their panels for have no doubt been a big help in liquidating them.

post #1282 of 1545 Old 02-14-2015, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphst15 View Post
Got a call from Samsung service about scheduling an in home service call. Set for this coming Wednesday. Would've preferred they come out sooner of course but all in all (so far) this process has been relatively painless. Fingers crossed, will update accordingly.

MPH
Please do. Im curious as to what they find. Hopefully they can fix you up quickly.

Good luck!

post #1283 of 1545 Old 02-14-2015, 01:39 PM

I purchased a 51" F4500 last Saturday for $399. I bought it at the Best Buy in Muskegon, Michigan. I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan, but the three Best Buys here were out of stock, as are most of the Best Buys in Michigan. The panel is a TS02 manufactured in Mexico in November 2014. As I had followed the DNICE protocol for a 65" Panasonic ST60 a year ago, I had his slides and ran them for about 150 hours. I then input 22point8's 1000 hour settings with very good results. The set is replacing a 2012 43" E450, which was "calibrated" with the CNET settings for that panel. Those settings resulted in a very good picture on that set, and the 22point8 settings on this panel result in a very similar picture. The set is setup about 7.5 feet in front of my cycling trainer. At that distance, I notice, if I look for it, a slight screen door effect in some scenes. But not really bothersome to me. The picture on this set and the E450 is not quite as sharp as the ST60, certainly because the ST60 is a 1080 and these are 720s. And these sets do not have blacks like the ST60. But I really like Samsung's color reproduction, maybe even a little better than the Panasonic. At $399, this set is an unbelievable value. The Panasonic ST60 replaced a Sony 51" CRT rear projection set, which I purchased in 2004. At that time, plasmas were very expensive. This one is undoubtedly much better, and cost only $399. If you like plasmas, get one if you can.
post #1284 of 1545 Old 02-15-2015, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 61
New settings at 2000 hours (I'm guessing, can't be bothered to go into the service menu because it resets everything).

Greyscale (96hz is why the black is 0.023cdm2 rather than 0.0068cdm2)

Colour Temp

RGB Balance

BT1886 Gamma

Primary and Secondary

Saturation Luminance

Saturation Shifts

CIE Chart

1000 Point Colour Verification

Settings guidance:
These should be OK to copy for the 'A' models, for 'B' models the white balance controls start at 0, whereas 25 is the starting point on the 'A' (so 28 would be +3 and 24 would be -1). The Gains and Bias will need swapping on the 'B'.

I used an i1 Display Pro colorimeter profiled to an i1 Pro specrophotometer set to 3nm Hi-Res mode and HCFR software.

Settings for HDMI 60HZ RGB/ PS3/ US TV (for 60i you might want film mode Auto 1)

Pioneer 'The Blossoms' demo

Settings for HDMI 24P YUV (Blu-ray)

Settings for 50hz TV

Settings for USB (The greyscale is right, but the colour is a best guess, it LOOKS right, but I had probelms with measuring it)

Settings for 3D (F4900 only)
Attached Files
File Type: zip perfection.zip (31.4 KB, 30 views)
chilliard, Kratos3 and Lion Rider like this.

Last edited by 22point8; 02-15-2015 at 04:59 PM.
post #1285 of 1545 Old 02-15-2015, 05:09 PM

So for a B model, the blu-ray White Balance settings would be (using a "0" start scale and reversing offset and gain):
R-offset -5
G-offset +3
B-offset +1
R-gain -1
G-gain +3
B-gain +1

Is that correct?
post #1286 of 1545 Old 02-15-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
So for a B model, the blu-ray White Balance settings would be (using a "0" start scale and reversing offset and gain):
R-offset -5
G-offset +3
B-offset +1
R-gain -1
G-gain +3
B-gain +1

Is that correct?
Thats it.
post #1287 of 1545 Old 02-15-2015, 05:24 PM

Thanks. And thanks for all your work.
post #1288 of 1545 Old 02-15-2015, 05:27 PM

And what accounts for the differences in your 1000 hour settings and 2000 hour settings? Is it just hours on the set, or has your calibrating changed in various ways? Which settings would be more accurate for a set with around 200 hours?
post #1289 of 1545 Old 02-15-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
And what accounts for the differences in your 1000 hour settings and 2000 hour settings? Is it just hours on the set, or has your calibrating changed in various ways? Which settings would be more accurate for a set with around 200 hours?
Well at or around 1000 hours the set does improve. Recently I've tried things I've seen in the F8500 recommended settings thread as more people in there have meters, ask questions and try things out.

For example calibrate the CMS with colour at 50, up the colour control to get better saturation, decrease the luminance of colours if needed (for example Red reduce the R but leave G and B alone).

Also things like using the 10 point controls too much can create banding, so I saw an approach where someone used the 10 point green control for their gamma ( to match the target luminance), and the 2 point red and blue control again to rebalance things, then lightly using the red and blue 10 point controls to refine.
post #1290 of 1545 Old 02-15-2015, 07:57 PM

I'll take your word for it. Translated, the 2000 hour settings result in a better/more accurate picture, correct??
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn42b450 42 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60e550 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page