Samsung PNxxF4500 Owners Thread - Page 56 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 159Likes

post #1651 of 1675 Old 03-18-2016, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Does the above apply to all plasmas? Reason I ask is most panasonic plasma calibrations have their contrast in 70s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1675 Old 03-18-2016, 02:45 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Rider View Post
Does the above apply to all plasmas? Reason I ask is most panasonic plasma calibrations have their contrast in 70s.
Nope. The Contrast control works different on the Pannies.

On the Sammy plasmas, Contrast sets the "white clip point" and Brightness sets the "black clip point" for the display's bit distribution, just like on their LCDs.

Between 0 and 50, the Contrast on the Panasonics behaves like a simple peak white control. Low APL (average picture level) scenes will continue to increase in peak brightness above 50, but the higher APL scenes will get zapped with more and more ABL (brightness limiter) as Contrast approaches 100 on the Pannies. As far as I could tell, there was no ABL on the Panasonic S60, when Contrast was set to around 50 or below. Setting Contrast between 70 and 80 will add a moderate amount of ABL to the Panasonics.

This is sort of the reverse of the Cell Light control on the Sammies. The higher Cell Light settings seem to reduce the ABL on the Sammies, which is the opposite of the Panasonics' Contrast control.

I'm not sure what, if any, effect the Energy Saving settings may have on the Sammies' ABL.
Lion Rider likes this.

ADU
post #1653 of 1675 Old 03-19-2016, 07:17 AM

Samsung PNxxF4500 Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
Nope. The Contrast control works different on the Pannies.

On the Sammy plasmas, Contrast sets the "white clip point" and Brightness sets the "black clip point" for the display's bit distribution, just like on their LCDs.

Between 0 and 50, the Contrast on the Panasonics behaves like a simple peak white control. Low APL (average picture level) scenes will continue to increase in peak brightness above 50, but the higher APL scenes will get zapped with more and more ABL (brightness limiter) as Contrast approaches 100 on the Pannies. As far as I could tell, there was no ABL on the Panasonic S60, when Contrast was set to around 50 or below. Setting Contrast between 70 and 80 will add a moderate amount of ABL to the Panasonics.

This is sort of the reverse of the Cell Light control on the Sammies. The higher Cell Light settings seem to reduce the ABL on the Sammies, which is the opposite of the Panasonics' Contrast control.

I'm not sure what, if any, effect the Energy Saving settings may have on the Sammies' ABL.

Thanks ADU for the explanation. In fact I do really enjoy reading your contributions as they are well thought out & researched.

Last edited by Lion Rider; 03-19-2016 at 07:30 AM.

post #1654 of 1675 Old 03-21-2016, 08:12 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Thanks ADU for the explanation. In fact I do really enjoy reading your contributions as they are well thought out & researched.
If you find any of my tips useful, I'm glad. You can figure out the correct Color setting for each Picture mode on your display using the RGB Only Modes in the Advanced Settings with a set of 50% or 75% color bars, or other similar color decoder tests btw.

ADU
post #1655 of 1675 Old 03-22-2016, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 38
quick question about setting brightness with AVSHD black clipping pattern. Is it better to start with high brightness setting and reduce until 16 disappears or start with a lower setting and raising it until 17 appears. Both render different settings for me within 1 click of eachother (ie. brightness 46 for the former and 45 for the latter).
post #1656 of 1675 Old 03-25-2016, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I've seen some pro calibrator set color at 43 on samsung d530 and a good number of people with settings around that as well.Then some say 49/50 is right.The 43 setting increases contrast ratio and corrects errors,but not much color. Color at 50 has oversaturated skintones on bright and dark screens.I use auto color space.Some have used color 51 on native color space but that seems too saturated on mine.

I can't figure where to set red bias or red gain as that also effects where to set the color setting.The ever changing luminance and gamma creates problems which is made worse by screen reflections..Gamma at -1 seems more accurate but it's too dark for my room.A lot of the settings will effect one another so you gain an advantage in one area,but take a step back in another.

I don't have color bars on my e450.

Edit-color 43 too low on mine.using 49 as that's where red clips on lagom color bars pattern.

Last edited by Vic12345; 03-25-2016 at 09:37 PM.
post #1657 of 1675 Old 03-26-2016, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

I put brightness the first click where the dithering stops.If I go lower than that it seems like the tv shutting off and on when theres black screens is more happening.Although I'm not sure on this as I haven't tested it much.
post #1658 of 1675 Old 04-01-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Vincent Praino View Post
quick question about setting brightness with AVSHD black clipping pattern. Is it better to start with high brightness setting and reduce until 16 disappears or start with a lower setting and raising it until 17 appears. Both render different settings for me within 1 click of eachother (ie. brightness 46 for the former and 45 for the latter).

This maybe different from how others set their brightness but for me with AVSHD I start with the default setting in movie mode. I lower brightness till 17 barely flashes. But on my case with 17 barely visible I noticed a lot of dither on my sony blu ray menu screen, so I lowered brightness one more tick such that now 18 is barely visible. For me that number is 44. Somehow this made the image so clean. I also use Teds free Lightspace patterns as he has a very good pattern for setting brightness. Just search setting brightness on avsforum as there seemed to be a discussion on whether it's 17 or 19 that's supposed to be visible.

But also remember your gamma setting will affect your brightness, so you have to check if you change gamma.

Last edited by Lion Rider; 04-01-2016 at 09:11 AM.
post #1659 of 1675 Old 04-01-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic12345 View Post
I've seen some pro calibrator set color at 43 on samsung d530 and a good number of people with settings around that as well.Then some say 49/50 is right.The 43 setting increases contrast ratio and corrects errors,but not much color. Color at 50 has oversaturated skintones on bright and dark screens.I use auto color space.Some have used color 51 on native color space but that seems too saturated on mine.

I can't figure where to set red bias or red gain as that also effects where to set the color setting.The ever changing luminance and gamma creates problems which is made worse by screen reflections..Gamma at -1 seems more accurate but it's too dark for my room.A lot of the settings will effect one another so you gain an advantage in one area,but take a step back in another.

I don't have color bars on my e450.

Edit-color 43 too low on mine.using 49 as that's where red clips on lagom color bars pattern.

I don't know what to make of this.
~ Native color space is not accurate unless you have measured it to be accurate than auto.
~ when setting contrast check for color clip with a pattern, not eyes.
~ color clipping is a sign that your contrast is set too high. Don't use the color control to reduce clipping.
~ Believe me, you can't set white balance accurately with your eyes. You can atleast reduce color tints in the grayscale but with the grayscale ramp & steps patterns not with eyes.

A cool guy once said "It is a wise man who knows his limits, as there is no upside playing with the unknown."

You are either calibrating a tv to standards or it's all preference.

Last edited by Lion Rider; 04-01-2016 at 07:33 AM.
post #1660 of 1675 Old 04-03-2016, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
You are either calibrating a tv to standards or it's all preference.
With Vic, it's all preference...

He adds his "advice" in nearly every plasma thread even though he doesn't own the TV being discussed...

He's messed around in his plasma's service menu so much, that he'll never have an accurate picture...

I've tried being understanding with him... but he just keeps cluttering this thread with posts that are less than useless...

Sorry to be so harsh, but I've given up...
Put him on "ignore"...
post #1661 of 1675 Old 04-07-2016, 08:02 PM

Is any one here running this set with a Darbee Vision in the chain and how does it look?
post #1662 of 1675 Old 04-10-2016, 01:26 AM
Advanced Member

Bizzaro-I'm here too make the tv look better.Im adjusting without a calibration meter so your better not too follow my advice.If anything helps someone then I feel I did something.

Grayscale is the most important thing too get adjusted right and can be done if your eyes are good.If your out in the sun for long hours a bunch of days in a row in the summer it can reset the eyes too make them more accurate( that's what I've read and done and then adjust it at night in the dark).Im satisfied with grayscale now but it was a major pain.4 years of adjusting).Best thing I did was reduce red gain and red bias which cleaned/cleared up the image.I use auto colorspace which is a bit red and washed out compared to native.One of the best calibrators said the samsung E series have a slightly green grayscale and that's what I've tried too adjust it too.He said the F series series were slightly blue toned grayscale.

If your looking for advice I'd suggest reading reviews from only the best couple of calibrators and see what they say about the F series Plasmas.You might find something helpful.

Last edited by Vic12345; 04-10-2016 at 01:51 AM.
post #1663 of 1675 Old 04-10-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic12345 View Post
Bizzaro-I'm here too make the tv look better.Im adjusting without a calibration meter so your better not too follow my advice.If anything helps someone then I feel I did something.

Grayscale is the most important thing too get adjusted right and can be done if your eyes are good.If your out in the sun for long hours a bunch of days in a row in the summer it can reset the eyes too make them more accurate( that's what I've read and done and then adjust it at night in the dark).Im satisfied with grayscale now but it was a major pain.4 years of adjusting).Best thing I did was reduce red gain and red bias which cleaned/cleared up the image.I use auto colorspace which is a bit red and washed out compared to native.One of the best calibrators said the samsung E series have a slightly green grayscale and that's what I've tried too adjust it too.He said the F series series were slightly blue toned grayscale.

If your looking for advice I'd suggest reading reviews from only the best couple of calibrators and see what they say about the F series Plasmas.You might find something helpful.

ENOUGH, please please STOP.
post #1664 of 1675 Old 04-15-2016, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello. I am having an issue with my pn51f4500. When its starts to warm up the whites seem to flicker like its having a contrast issue. I was wondering if anyone had any idea what it may be. I appreciate any assistance.
Thanks
post #1665 of 1675 Old 04-16-2016, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wilkinson View Post
Hello. I am having an issue with my pn51f4500. When its starts to warm up the whites seem to flicker like its having a contrast issue. I was wondering if anyone had any idea what it may be. I appreciate any assistance.
Thanks
My set does that too if I use a high contrast setting. It really is just the inability for the set to maintain such high brightness that it causes the whites/light colors to flicker. I would reduce the contrast/cell light a few notches until it stops being a problem. I keep my contrast at 94 with cell light 20 and don't notice the flicker much anymore.
post #1666 of 1675 Old 12-19-2016, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanb33 View Post
I have had this TV for a little over a year and I am having a terrible time getting hockey games to look decent, the ice is very dull and grayish. I am running a time Warner cable box through my Xbox one to run the TV. I have tried various calibrations posted in this thread and nothing has made it pop. I watch a lot of hockey and this really bugs me, any help would be appreciated!
Hi brendan. I know you posted this a while ago but I'll respond to it anyway since I recently found a good calibration for hockey and since this might help other owners of this tv.

As Jack Burton always says, he says : "What the heck..."

So I've been struggling for awhile to get a good picture for hockey. The ice used to look very dull, as you've said. But I've now found a setting where it looks quite good. It's actually my main setting that I use for pretty much all my sources.

I've discovered it this way : when I first plugged my PC into an HDMI port, the TV auto-calibrated itself (I guess this is what people referes to as the "PC mode settings"?). Anyway, since this point I experienced a huge jump in image quality, as this mode looks fantastic, to me, with all sources and content. Including hockey, which was giving me the hardest time.

I tweaked that PC calibration setting a tiny bit, maybe a thing or two where altered. But I'll post my full settings anyway, that way people who want to try it won't have to dig further back in the thread for the PC setting values.

IMAGE MODE Cinema
CELL LIGHT 18
CONTRAST 88
SHARPNESS 33
COLOR 47
TINT V52/R48

DYNAMIC CONTRAST Low
BLACK LEVEL Darkest
SKIN TONE -2
COLOR SPACE Native
WHITE BALANCE > 2 POINTS > RO +15
GO +25
BO +21
RG 0
GG 0
BG 0
GAMMA 0

COLOR TEMPERATURE Standard
BLK LVL HDMI Low (VERY IMPORTANT. setting this to "Normal" will dim the picture significantly)
BLACK OPTIMISER Auto

The sharpness can be set to your liking at a value between 0 and 35 IMO. I've set it close to 35 because I think it looks good with upscaled SD sources and I liked how it looked with HD sources as well, but honestly 0 will look good too.

Color looks best at 47 to my eyes but I can see someone going a couple of clicks lower, say to 44.

So here it is. If you ever try it, let me know how you liked it To me the difference for hockey was night and day. I was reluctant to invite friends over for hockey, but not anymore, lol. It looks good now. Althought it's a bit softer than a 1080p panel. But I do prefer the motion handling of the f4500 over many of the LCD LEDs that I've seen out there. The picture is plenty bright now and contrast is good too.
post #1667 of 1675 Old 12-19-2016, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry if some settings' names don't match, I have the french OSD here!

Also, I'm not sure if "low" dynamic contrast is what I usually use. It might be "off".
post #1668 of 1675 Old 02-28-2017, 10:10 AM

Liked: 12
This thread hasnt been active for a long time now, but I still think this is a wonderful TV that needs some more appreciation

Also, Ive been struggling to calibrate this TV for the past few weeks with my i1Display pro. Its a learning experience thats both fun and frustrating, but I think Im happy with where its at now... finally. I also learned what I already knew, but what became more apparent than ever: that copying someone elses settings rarely brings you anywhere close to a calibrated picture.

What I can say is that I was right in thinking the picture was too red/warm when using Warm 2 with its default settings. Default perfomance is rather poor on my set, with large errors in gray scale, colors, an odd gamma curve and so on. It was in need of a calibration, to say the least. Attached picture shows the rgb levels in warm 2 with some very basic settings. Color temperature is somwhere around 5700K.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f4500_default.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1998049  
post #1669 of 1675 Old 03-09-2017, 01:23 AM

Yes, been long. Seems like people are really enjoying their sets.
Watched planet earth 2 the other day and still can't believe this is a sub 500$ tv.
post #1670 of 1675 Old 03-21-2017, 12:28 PM

Late to the party, but I'll just drop these settings in here anyway. If anything it shows how they compare to everyone elses in this thread, and how each panel differs from eachother. I think there's three of us, in this thread, who has calibrated their sets. The colors were calibrated using windows saturated at 75% and luminance 75% where, as I understand it, the majority of content falls into and yields the best results. Simply put.. the colors has more punch to them this way, closer to default Custom and Native than the Auto color space as I see it. I have movie mode settings as well, but those use 10p white balance and a different more subdued custom color space.

Picture Mode: Standard

Cell Light: 20 ( 37ftl )
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 0-10
Color: 44
Tint: G50/R50

Color Space: Custom
Red: Red 49, Green 4, Blue 0
Green: Red 25, Green 53, Blue 0
Blue: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 55
Yellow: Red 51, Green 51, Blue 8
Cyan: Red 22, Green 51, Blue 53
Magenta: Red 49, Green 5, Blue 52

Warm 2

White Balance:
R-Offset: 11
G-Offset: 25
B-Offset: 23
R-Gain: 17
G-Gain: 25
B-Gain: 26

Gamma: -1
Black Optimizer: Dark room
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	f4500_standard_cms.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	2042041   Click image for larger version

Name:	f4500_standard_grayscale.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	2042049   Click image for larger version

Name:	f4500_standard_temp.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	2042065  
Lion Rider likes this.

Last edited by Zarlence; 04-04-2017 at 03:01 AM.
post #1671 of 1675 Old 03-22-2017, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarlence View Post
Late to the party, j
Zarlence, what about the movie mode. Also if we can see the before and after measurements.
Yes these tvs are really different. Since I watch mine in a light controlled room, in movie mode i cant go beyond contrast 80 as i find it a bit bright.
Also without meter I use Auto colorspace and on that the red color badly clips if i go beyond contrast 85.
On the grayscale ramp & steps patterns I can't see any color tints though I eyeballed it.
Pic looks pretty good
post #1672 of 1675 Old 03-22-2017, 03:36 AM

Quote:
On the grayscale ramp & steps patterns I can't see any color tints though I eyeballed it.
Eyeballing grayscale patterns is what I did too for a long time. It got me some pretty good results not far off from my calibrated grayscale. Problem is I could never be sure, and kept changing the values because Im obsessive when it comes to TV settings Getting the i1Display Pro was supposed to give me some peace of mind, but I keep going back to it, thinking I can improve the picture ever so slightly

White Balance:
R-Offset: 14
B-Offset: 25
R-Gain: 21
B-Gain: 25

Thats the white balance I used in Warm2 when just eyeballing it, to get rid of the severe red push on my set. I'd say it still looks pretty darn good without any severe delta errors. Most of the picture improvements comes from just cleaning up the grayscale.

Attaching some pictures of how my TV performed using warm 2 in Movie mode with Auto color space and mostly default settings. I'll look over my movie settings and post them in the near future.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	f4500_default_grayscale.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	2042073   Click image for larger version

Name:	f4500_default_temp.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	2042105   Click image for larger version

Name:	f4500_default.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	2042113   Click image for larger version

Name:	f4500_default_auto_colorspace.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	2042121  

Last edited by Zarlence; 04-04-2017 at 05:07 AM.
post #1673 of 1675 Old 03-22-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarlence View Post
Eyeballing grayscale patterns is what I did too for a long time. It got me some pretty good results not far off from my calibrated grayscale. Problem is I could never be sure, and kept changing the values because Im obsessive when it comes to TV settings Getting the i1Display Pro was supposed to give me some peace of mind, but I keep going back to it, thinking I can improve the picture ever so slightly

White Balance:
R-Offset: 14
B-Offset: 25
R-Gain: 20
B-Gain: 25

Thats the white balance I used in Warm2 when just eyeballing it, to get rid of the severe red push on my set. I'd say it still looks pretty darn good without any severe delta errors. Most of the picture improvements comes from just cleaning up the grayscale.

Attaching some pictures of how my TV performed using warm 2 in Movie mode with Auto color space and mostly default settings. I'll look over my movie settings and post them in the near future.
Had the same problem earlier, second guessing. Decided to understand about grayscale as much as possible. I became addicted to AVS
There is a calibrator known as Doug Blackburn who I think knows all there is to know about samsung plasmas and he writes very detailed posts on how these tvs and their settings interact & behave with each other.

Regarding grayscale on mine, after setting brightness & contrast appropriately (no fatigue, discoloration & clipping), on the grayscale steps it looked like a rainbow. Green & pink tints on several steps.
You can be sure it was visible on content. Anything bright had these greenish, pinkish tinted edges that were so irritating.
I adjusted the 2 points very carefully and the tints were gone. I know it's not 100% accurate but from the improvement I saw on the pic, I know am heading in the right direction. Removing those tints improved the pic drastically and these days I don't fiddle with it anymore.
I know it's not the best way to do it but in the "budus" where I live, you can forget about meters or professional calibration
Now since you have a meter, how far off were you with your grayscale eyeball and if you put up a grayscale ramp or steps do you get any tint from your calibrated settings.

Last edited by Lion Rider; 03-22-2017 at 11:35 AM.
post #1674 of 1675 Old 03-28-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Now since you have a meter, how far off were you with your grayscale eyeball and if you put up a grayscale ramp or steps do you get any tint from your calibrated settings.

My grayscale was heavily tinted using warm 2 with default 2p white balance, especially with alot of red. It was harder for me to judge how much blue I needed to add or retract. I could remove most of the red tint just eyeballing it and using my factory calibrated dell monitors as a reference point. It was enough that I could be sure that copying someone elses settings for this or a similar TV never improved my picture.

As it is now, my F4500A has no hints of tinting on any grayscale ramp Ive looked at. My calibrated monitors and my plasma now present a very similar picture ( each with their own quirks and characteristics of course ). Im more than pleased
post #1675 of 1675 Old Today, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I have now had my pn43f4500 for years now, probably like 8000+ hours (like 10 hours a day every day for 2 or 3 years). I am now officially noticing things being darker than they used to be, the screen is well and truly starting to lose some luminosity. I've been using these settings from this board, only change being I made it standard color instead of warm2. Can anyone possibly give me a revised one for it being so ages now, one that corrects for the dimmer pixels compared to what it had when it was newer?

Last edited by andy6915; Today at 06:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
F4500 , firmware update , Samsung Pn42b450 42 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , samsung pn43f4500 , Samsung Pn60e550 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread