Aftermarket AR Filter (for S60)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-26-2013, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Does anyone have any experience with an aftermarket AR filter? Like ViewGuard or
something else?

My viewing environment for the S60 is a bit too reflective for my tastes and there is no telling if or when the S64 would be available in Canada where I live.

Considering upgrading to ST60 but $400 increase for the AR filter seems a bit crazy.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-26-2013, 07:24 PM

Liked: 26
It's more of an upgrade than just the AR filter I believe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
connmen likes this.

post #3 of 10 Old 05-26-2013, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Totally agree that ST60 is a much bigger upgrade than just the AR filter.

I just mean that for me, none of the ST60 features that are better than the S60, aside from AR filter, interest me.

So if I can't get a S64 here in Canada, my options are an aftermarket AR screen or an ST60.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

post #5 of 10 Old 05-27-2013, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

lol - Well, for what it's worth, I'm now leaning towards upgrading to the ST60.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-27-2013, 10:23 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by connmen View Post

Totally agree that ST60 is a much bigger upgrade than just the AR filter. I just mean that for me, none of the ST60 features that are better than the S60, aside from AR filter, interest me.

The ST60 does have a superior plasma panel which gives you better picture quality on all content - it has better processing, better colors, lower black levels, higher contrast, and gets brighter too which will help it punch through ambient light in the room. It's simply better in every regard performance wise.

However, have you actually compared the reflectiveness of an S60 to that of an ST60 in a store? On brighter content (like sports) the S60 isn't that much more reflective than an ST60 since both TVs are pretty bright to begin with, but on darker content (like dark movies or dark areas in various scenes etc) the ST60's AR Filter does mute the dull the reflections quite a bit. But by doing an in-store reflectivity test you may find that the S60's extra reflectivity may not be a big enough issue to warrant spending more for the ST60 if the extra PQ advantages aren't important to ya.

Quote:
So if I can't get a S64 here in Canada, my options are an aftermarket AR screen or an ST60.

What aftermarket AR screens have you found? I didn't think such a thing existed. And does it adversely affect the TV's picture quality?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #7 of 10 Old 05-27-2013, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

However, have you actually compared the reflectiveness of an S60 to that of an ST60 in a store? On brighter content (like sports) the S60 isn't that much more reflective than an ST60 since both TVs are pretty bright to begin with, but on darker content (like dark movies or dark areas in various scenes etc) the ST60's AR Filter does mute the dull the reflections quite a bit.

I've compared in-store. I could see a moderate difference in the AR nature of the ST60. I really really like the S60 but with any ambient light, I see my reflection in dark areas of the screen. Even, for example, in a news announcer's suit if he is wearing a dark suit. I don't watch television during the day, but at nighttime, I don't always watch in complete darkness either. And in my living room, this seems to be the only way to avoid reflection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

What aftermarket AR screens have you found? I didn't think such a thing existed. And does it adversely affect the TV's picture quality?

I've identified a few aftermarket AR screens online, the most prominent of them being from a company called ViewGuard. They have a 47" screen and a 52" screen (among many others), and I understand the 52" screen also works for 50" televisions.

There are two technologies with these screens -- privacy filter so that people around you can't see what you are watching (more useful for smaller monitors in a work environment) and an anti-glare/reflection filter. I can't speak to the quality because I've never seen them up close but there are reviews out there of the ViewGuard and other screens and from what I've read, it works but reduces brightness in the process.

I was hoping in starting this thread that I could hear feedback from somebody in these forums who has actually used one of these products because we tend to be more picky about our TV watching experience than others. But no luck.

I really wish I had some sense of when the S64 would be available in Canada, but since I do not, I've already put in an order for an ST60. I know I will be very satisfied with the television, but taxes in, it's an extra $500 over the S60 which is a bummer.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-27-2013, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I think you're better off moving the tv away from direct light source, or invest in blinds.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-27-2013, 10:30 PM

Liked: 26
It's never a bummer when you get a better product

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post #10 of 10 Old 05-28-2013, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

barth2k - it's not a big room and awkward shape so unable to move television. Blinds won't help at night as I get reflection even when lights above somewhat dimmed. Can't always watch TV in complete darkness. Probably all has to do with my room dimensions, size, colour of paint on wall, etc. S60 is a great set nevertheless!

yaomizzle - True enough. :-)
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P60st60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page