Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 118 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3511 of 12217 Old 10-13-2013, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 999
I just checked and after almost 4 hours, I do see some trace of IR where the ticker is situated on the screen. Will probably run the wiper later for good measure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 12217 Old 10-13-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 390
^^^ Exactlly, IR, not burn in. If it is that minor it will go away just watching normal shows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrwash13 View Post

So I'm 95 percent sure I want a zt65 because i love the inky blacks and
hate lcd motion and as I'm sitting here watching nfl Sunday football I'm getting a little nervous.....will I experience burn in if I watch 3 hours of Sunday football with all the logos and scores that are static?
No, as long as you watch different content you will not get burn in. As long as you do not watch TV 24-7 and mix it up with normal content there will never be an issue.
post #3513 of 12217 Old 10-14-2013, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm thinking of getting an ZT60 for myself. However, I'm being scared away from the fan noise issue thread. I know that nothing is perfect in flat panel technology but does any here not have the fan noise issue or is it manageable and something that can be lived with (only if it is minor).

Thanks
post #3514 of 12217 Old 10-14-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 351
If you review the VT and ZT threads you will see a significant number of people who do not have any fan noise. Those of us who have it just tend to be more vocal smile.gif
It really isn't that bad, there is a fix for it and a few DIY solutions. The picture looks so great I forget about it. Coming from a Kuro that buzzed, as you said yourself, nothing is perfect.
post #3515 of 12217 Old 10-14-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ Plus one, I known out of 300 units we have sold, 4 complaints. You would think every set is effected reading on line, in the real world very minimal.
post #3516 of 12217 Old 10-14-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

^^^ Plus one, I known out of 300 units we have sold, 4 complaints. You would think every set is effected reading on line, in the real world very minimal.
Thanks. Good to know. Thats the kind of info that makes you something of a unique asset here.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #3517 of 12217 Old 10-14-2013, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just unboxed mine, I can barely hear the fans. The truck driver was standing there, waiting to see if there was damage, and I plugged the TV in. I grabbed the remote for the 58V10 and pressed the on button, couldn't tell if anything happened. The truck driver pulled the wrapping away at the bottom to maybe get a better shot at the sensor and the script came up on the screen. That's the only way we knew the older remote had even worked, or that the TV was on. I can go around to the back and hear them if I get up close, and having a wall right behind them might reflect what sound there is, but right now I just can't see it being a problem. I was pretty apprehensive, having to endure a week+ of trucking and not knowing what the fan noise story was going to be like, but at first glance it looks to be a non-issue. The fans do spin a little faster when the power first comes up, and that might be the speed they end up running when the set is doing more than running the start-up menu, but even then they're not howling. I won't get it up on the wall for a couple of days, I'll report back then if mounting it changes my perception of the fans.

ETA: June build
post #3518 of 12217 Old 10-14-2013, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Anyone have August September or October build?
post #3519 of 12217 Old 10-14-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvision7m View Post

An update on the faint vertical line on the far right side of my ZT’s screen and a question if anyone has had the same experience.

The very faint vertical line on the far right side of my ZT’s screen is still there. Thankfully, its only visible occasionally and only on certain content. Even when I do notice it, it’s very light and just barely visible but still noticeable nonetheless on specific content.

I’ve also noticed what looks like white streaks occasionally on that same side of the screen. I haven’t seen any pattern in regards to when they appear or if they appear with any certain type of content but when I do see them, they’ll be apparent for maybe 5-10 seconds and then they seem to go away. Anyone else seeing anything like that on their ZT?

I’ve never seen this before and have never had either issue with my VT30. Both issues aren’t visible 85-90 percent of the time that I’m watching the TV but do annoy me to a degree when I do happen to notice either or both of them.

I realize no set is perfect but I certainly expect better from a flagship (& expensive) product such as the ZT60. I contacted Panasonic and started a case a few weeks ago so that the issue is at least on record but I told the rep that I’d wait to see if it resolves itself over a little more time and usage.

It hasn’t (yet) so I contacted Panasonic again today just to see what my options are and the rep wanted me to reset the TV which would wipe out the professional calibration that I paid good money for. So, I’m going to wait a little more and see how things go. The rep said they will not reimburse me for the calibration and I already knew that’d be their answer but I asked anyway (never hurts). I’m not yet sure if it’s worth it to go further with service/repair or whatever considering I’d lose the pro calibration, the money I spent on it and given that both issues are only present and visible for such a small percentage of the time that I watch the set. Its a tough call for me.

On top of that, my ZT has started having the fan noise issue that so many others have described and on two of occasions in the last week I’ve even noticed horizontal scrolling lines scrolling up the screen.

When I first got my ZT home it was whisper quiet except for a very low level buzz during very bright scenes (very normal for plasma) and I had no audible fan noise until earlier this week. Out of nowhere, over the last week I started hearing the fans ramp up then quiet down, then ramp up then quite down over and over. This is in spite of the fact that my dealer told me he had a tech install the fan noise fix before I even picked it up.

None of these issues were present when I first got my ZT. No vertical band that I noticed and I even used a full 100% nominally white pattern from my Spears & Munsil disc to check uniformity, no fan noise and no white streaks. I’m really starting to wonder about my particular set.

For the most part and for so much of the time that I’ve used my set including right now watching football, it looks truly spectacular but when I notice either or all of the above issues it really takes away from the set’s performance for me. The self test feature is pretty useless I think, I would think it checks itself for faults etc. and maybe it does but the only thing that happens is a picture is displayed and music is played and as long as you see and hear them, the set seems to deem itself to be OK. Goofy.

Has anyone reset their ZT in an attempt to correct the vertical line issue? If so, did it help or correct the issue completely?

Thanks.

Why can't you restore your calibration after a reset? (Assuming your guy calibrated Pro 1 and 2 modes) ChadB calibrated mine on Saturday and I have a copy of all the settings he used. Just write all the settings down and then use them after the reset. Since it's all in the user menus you should be able to easily do this.
post #3520 of 12217 Old 10-14-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

Why can't you restore your calibration after a reset? (Assuming your guy calibrated Pro 1 and 2 modes) ChadB calibrated mine on Saturday and I have a copy of all the settings he used. Just write all the settings down and then use them after the reset. Since it’s all in the user menus you should be able to easily do this.

You are correct, that should work. I actually figured out this solution after I spoke with Panasonic then posted here on AVS. Thanks for the suggestion though. If I decide to do the reset I’ll post how things worked out both with the screen issues and with re-inputting the calibration settings for all ISF modes.
post #3521 of 12217 Old 10-14-2013, 08:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You are correct, that should work. I actually figured out this solution after I spoke with Panasonic then posted here on AVS. Thanks for the suggestion though. If I decide to do the reset I’ll post how things worked out both with the screen issues and with re-inputting the calibration settings for all ISF modes.
You must have missed my post. I told you that yesterday when you were freakin out about losing your pro cal settings if you did a reset.
I also told you its unlikely a reset will get rid of that vertical line. It will be interesting to find out.

post #3522 of 12217 Old 10-15-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

You must have missed my post. I told you that yesterday when you were freakin out about losing your pro cal settings if you did a reset.
I also told you its unlikely a reset will get rid of that vertical line. It will be interesting to find out.

I did see that post but somehow missed the part about saving the ISF settings. Thanks again, it’s such a simple solution too. Sometimes the most obvious things are the easiest to miss.

Thanks again for the assist although I was hardly freaking out, I just wasn’t keen on losing my calibration investment.
post #3523 of 12217 Old 10-15-2013, 09:17 AM

Liked: 12
Has anyone figured out what HDMI Content type setting should be? Jeff Meier did a fantastic job calibrating my set last week, but we did not deal with that as no one seems to really know what it does? I assume all should be off, but should "Cinema" be on? Thanks all. Will write detailed feedback on Jeff in the calibrators thread.
post #3524 of 12217 Old 10-15-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthkringle View Post

Has anyone figured out what HDMI Content type setting should be? Jeff Meier did a fantastic job calibrating my set last week, but we did not deal with that as no one seems to really know what it does? I assume all should be off, but should "Cinema" be on? Thanks all. Will write detailed feedback on Jeff in the calibrators thread.

This is a good question. The manual and eHelp have useless explanations as to what those settings actually do so I hope someone here can give a correct and useful answer as I'm interested in knowing it as well.

At the moment I have all of them set to "OFF".
post #3525 of 12217 Old 10-15-2013, 09:45 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

This is a good question. The manual and eHelp have useless explanations as to what those settings actually do so I hope someone here can give a correct and useful answer as I'm interested in knowing it as well.

Here's the settings according to Sound and Vision...

"Advanced Settings (2D and 3D)
Game mode: Off

24p Direct In: 96 Hz (when selectable)

1080p Pure Direct: On

HDMI Content Type: Auto

HDMI/DVI RGB Range: Standard (16–235)

Black Level: Light"

I am using their settings and am pretty happy with them. I bumped up the brightness a touch because I think it was crushing the blacks a bit but I think that will change as the panel ages. I'm nowhere near the 300 hour mark.

Cheers
Steven
post #3526 of 12217 Old 10-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckAuger View Post

I just unboxed mine, I can barely hear the fans. The truck driver was standing there, waiting to see if there was damage, and I plugged the TV in. I grabbed the remote for the 58V10 and pressed the on button, couldn't tell if anything happened. The truck driver pulled the wrapping away at the bottom to maybe get a better shot at the sensor and the script came up on the screen. That's the only way we knew the older remote had even worked, or that the TV was on. I can go around to the back and hear them if I get up close, and having a wall right behind them might reflect what sound there is, but right now I just can't see it being a problem. I was pretty apprehensive, having to endure a week+ of trucking and not knowing what the fan noise story was going to be like, but at first glance it looks to be a non-issue. The fans do spin a little faster when the power first comes up, and that might be the speed they end up running when the set is doing more than running the start-up menu, but even then they're not howling. I won't get it up on the wall for a couple of days, I'll report back then if mounting it changes my perception of the fans.

ETA: June build

Yeah, I didn't hear the fans much either when I first got the set. Took a few days. Also depends on how quiet the rest of the room (house) is. After several hours of watching the tv, If you turn the tv off last (no sound from the tv or your amp), you will notice the fan noise stop. (Mine's also June built, haven't got the fix yet, just need to get around to making the call.) Doesn't bother me too much, aside from during quieter films, when the fans poke their noise into the audio mix.
post #3527 of 12217 Old 10-15-2013, 11:16 AM

Liked: 53
deleted
post #3528 of 12217 Old 10-15-2013, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

When in doubt, off is usually the safest bet. I have mine set that way also.

I am using the other S&V settings quoted above, in particular for HDMI/DVI RGB Range: Standard (16–235), though not really sure why, in the past I've always gone with enhanced range (have yet to try out a calibration disc, but that's usually why I've gone that way prior).

Mostly I just watch the set, back to cinema thx for the time being. S&V 2D was too bright for me (I am apparently sensitive to phosphor lag, set off by bright white areas, was driving me nuts); S&V 3D settings seem to be good ones (way better than out of the box).
post #3529 of 12217 Old 10-15-2013, 11:42 AM

Liked: 13
Speaking of calibration discs... I tried to use the Spears and Munsel disc and had weird results.

First let me preference this by repeating, I have not yet hit the 300 hour mark.

So when I tried to calibrate with Spears and Munsel I began with the Sound and Vision settings as I assume they set the color points as acurate as possible in the pro settings, etc. To begin with, I let the TV warm up for a good 30 minutes and I did my calibartion in a completely dark room. So when I went to began to calibrate the typical user settings - contrast, brightness, etc. I found that I had to dump the contrast down to like 30 or less to keep the whites from blooming. If I recall, the brightness was at around 18. The picture looked pretty good but dim. Perhaps this is how it's supposed to look and my personal taste is for brighter than it should be.

Anyone else see similar results?

Cheers
Steven
post #3530 of 12217 Old 10-15-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:

Please post your calibration comments here where other owner's are most likely to see them. What did Jeff tell you about the HDMI Content Type setting? If you didn't ask him, do it now. smile.gif
post #3531 of 12217 Old 10-15-2013, 08:46 PM

I really like this TV. Got it mounted, so far no fan noise, 20 hours of slides and watched some full screen DirecTV this evening. Just killer on THX Cinema mode, haven't really adjusted anything yet. I'll run slides during the day, watch a little TV at night and see where it goes.

I always have a little doubt, buyer's remorse, maybe I should have made a different move. But not on this particular TV. No dead/stuck pixels, no vertical bands, no fan noise. Better picture than I could have imagined.

Love it. The guy who helped me mount it is a bit of a TV aficionado, he was familiar with the previous rig. He was blown away.

Big disclaimer: DO NOT buy this TV based on anything I've posted. I know most of you are beyond that, but I really don't need somebody giving me grief because they bought one and it sucked. Mine is great, yours might not be. Thing is, they are not the same TV. Mine is different than the one you might have or buy. This post is not an endorsement of the entire Panasonic line, just that I am happy with the one 65ZT60 TV that I have at my home.

I look forward to getting some hours on it and seeing what it's really capable of, but even if it never got a bit better, I'd say money well spent.
post #3532 of 12217 Old 10-16-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Please post your calibration comments here where other owner's are most likely to see them. What did Jeff tell you about the HDMI Content Type setting? If you didn't ask him, do it now. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by mluder View Post

Speaking of calibration discs... I tried to use the Spears and Munsel disc and had weird results.
Will do. Jeff did not know how those controls were used as they appear to be new/unique to the new models. With that said, we left them all off.
post #3533 of 12217 Old 10-16-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 197
HDMI Content appears to be nothing more than a video processing tool. It sounds like the video equivalent of the audio processing settings (i.e. Concert Hall, Arena, etc.) you see on many AVRs. As such, "off" or "auto" seem appropriate. I'm curious to know how it detects one type of signal from another.

post #3534 of 12217 Old 10-16-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Most calibrators store clients setting for this issue as well smile.gif If you loose the settings, somehow, some way, call your calibrator.
post #3535 of 12217 Old 10-16-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Most calibrators store clients setting for this issue as well smile.gif If you loose the settings, somehow, some way, call your calibrator.
+1 I think the key word there is "most" but definitely an option worth pursuing if ever in a pinch.
EDIT: Yknow, now that I think about it, they keep a copy of the calibration reports. But would they keep a copy of the tv settings?

post #3536 of 12217 Old 10-16-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:

Apologies if you've already seen this, but there's a brief explanation of HDMI Content Type starting at the Bottom of page 170.

That's a much more detailed manual than the one that comes with the TV, if anyone is interested and hasn't seen it yet.
post #3537 of 12217 Old 10-16-2013, 03:56 PM

Yes, so it appears as though if I only watch movies, I should just set all to off. Thanks a ton!!
post #3538 of 12217 Old 10-16-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:

Yes, so it appears as though if I only watch movies, I should just set all to off. Thanks a ton!!
The rule of thumb for any "enhancement" feature it to leave it off unless there is overwhelming evidence that it makes a significant positive difference. Most of that type of features are either for marketing lists or placebo effect. smile.gif
post #3539 of 12217 Old 10-17-2013, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Apologies if you've already seen this, but there's a brief explanation of HDMI Content Type starting at the Bottom of page 170.

That's a much more detailed manual than the one that comes with the TV, if anyone is interested and hasn't seen it yet.

BTW, the manual you linked to is also available on your TV under MENU-->HELP-->eHELP.

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control
post #3540 of 12217 Old 10-17-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke View Post

Quote:

BTW, the manual you linked to is also available on your TV under MENU-->HELP-->eHELP.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I haven't used any of the features other than slideshow and HDMI 1 smile.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page