Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official ZT60 Owners Thread
repete66211's Avatar repete66211 09:21 AM 06-03-2013
Two more days! Well, that's what BB said when I ordered it a while ago. If BB is going to cancel or reschedule when do they usually call? I don't want to take the day off if they're just going to stand me up.

Glashub's Avatar Glashub 09:58 AM 06-03-2013
HTwaits -- small red light. Much more inconspicuous than on the VT50. I watched some TV yesterday. I've found my Kuro replacement. Blacks look really good. But more than that there is something subtle and better about this picture. I don't know how to put it into words -- balances, refined, natural? It's more like the 3D image the Kuro gave. Now I have to decide what to do abut the vertical band running down the right hand side and the stuck pixel that won't go away.
Bubbleboyjones's Avatar Bubbleboyjones 10:31 AM 06-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

HTwaits -- small red light. Much more inconspicuous than on the VT50. I watched some TV yesterday. I've found my Kuro replacement. Blacks look really good. But more than that there is something subtle and better about this picture. I don't know how to put it into words -- balances, refined, natural? It's more like the 3D image the Kuro gave. Now I have to decide what to do abut the vertical band running down the right hand side and the stuck pixel that won't go away.

So the vertical band is noticeable during regular content?
Glashub's Avatar Glashub 10:44 AM 06-03-2013
On slides. But I haven't watched a lot of content yet.
Sammie2980's Avatar Sammie2980 11:36 AM 06-03-2013
I have the vertical band as well. I think we all do. Mine is the same location. about 1 inch in on the right. Though it is very faint and has gotten better over time to where it is not as noticeable. Even then I only saw it on slides of certain colors and I have not yet seen it on regular content.
freddy202022's Avatar freddy202022 11:44 AM 06-03-2013
Those kind of vertical lines can be seen on all plasma, however, seeing how clear it is on your panel, in the exact same place, I do not think that it is ideal. Same panels exhibit this more.
Glashub's Avatar Glashub 12:05 PM 06-03-2013
Okay. Poll please. Who would return a plasma that is perfectly good over 1 stuck pixel that isn't easily seen on all colors or settings -- in fact it disappears in some colors --- can't be seen in black material and can't be seen unless you're 3 feet or closer to the set. As a business man I know it costs BB and Panasonic a bunch to take returns and am hesitant to do that. But as a consumer I think, "Darn it. I paid 4G for a TV -- it should be perfect.

Thanks!
yaomizzle's Avatar yaomizzle 12:16 PM 06-03-2013
Quote:

Okay. Poll please. Who would return a plasma that is perfectly good over 1 stuck pixel that isn't easily seen on all colors or settings -- in fact it disappears in some colors --- can't be seen in black material and can't be seen unless you're 3 feet or closer to the set. As a business man I know it costs BB and Panasonic a bunch to take returns and am hesitant to do that. But as a consumer I think, "Darn it. I paid 4G for a TV -- it should be perfect.

Thanks!

If u sit closer than 3 feet return it. If not no.

Added note, if u sit closer than 3 feet, move ur chair back

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Ph8te's Avatar Ph8te 12:20 PM 06-03-2013
Quote:

Thanks!

I know some would return it as just knowing its there would be bothersome. Also there is the thing, if you return it who knows what other problems you may get. I would try running some full screen content like Pixar movies to see if you can get it "unstuck"
repete66211's Avatar repete66211 12:48 PM 06-03-2013
I'd return the TV if it had a malfunctioning pixel right out of the box. Mainly because just knowing about it would drive me nuts but also to document the problem and to give Panasonic the financial incentive to fix it.

I say it would drive me nuts but I've had a line one pixel wide down the right side of my plasma for a couple of years now and I hardly ever notice it. Hmmm, now that I think about it the line is about an inch from the right edge of the screen, the same place as this band that's being reported. Coincidence?
Glashub's Avatar Glashub 12:54 PM 06-03-2013
Thanks for the feedback Guys. I started documentation on this with BB -- got a case number -- just in case it worsens or is early evidence of a set that has latent problems.
Dr Harford's Avatar Dr Harford 01:28 PM 06-03-2013
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Video-Essentials-Basics-Blu-ray/dp/B000V6LST0

Does this blu ray have break in slides?

Can someone point me, with a link, to a thread where I'll find slides and instructions? I've spent the past three hours reading this thread and others, searching for DNice's slides, ETC, and have not found anything. I'm new to home theater and would appreciate a helping hand.
repete66211's Avatar repete66211 01:30 PM 06-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Harford View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Video-Essentials-Basics-Blu-ray/dp/B000V6LST0

Does this blu ray have break in slides?

Can someone point me, with a link, to a thread where I'll find slides and instructions? I've spent the past three hours reading this thread and others, searching for DNice's slides, ETC, and have not found anything. I'm new to home theater and would appreciate a helping hand.
The DVE has all the usual test patterns but it doesn't have the slides. They can be found here.
Dr Harford's Avatar Dr Harford 01:39 PM 06-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

The DVE has all the usual test patterns but it doesn't have the slides. They can be found here.

Thank you for your help!
Dr Harford's Avatar Dr Harford 01:54 PM 06-03-2013
Rival forum, rival opinions?

http://www.highdefforum.com/hdtv-calibration/132856-plasma-myths-legends.html

This thread seems to suggest that break in on my ZT60 is unnecessary! What do you lot say?
repete66211's Avatar repete66211 01:58 PM 06-03-2013
Quote:

Rival forum, rival opinions?

http://www.highdefforum.com/hdtv-calibration/132856-plasma-myths-legends.html

This thread seems to suggest that break in on my ZT60 is unnecessary! What do you lot say?
The only purpose of the slides and "breaking in" a plasma is to accelerate the calming of the phosphors in preparation for professional calibration. A number of people run them anyway and then use posted calibration settings. Considering the calibration settings can vary by unit I'm not sure there's much value in this. But because it's an expensive hobby and because sometimes doing anything feels more productive than doing nothing, it can be compelling to participate in a ritual of dubious merit if it gives one peace of mind.
Dr Harford's Avatar Dr Harford 02:37 PM 06-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

The only purpose of the slides and "breaking in" a plasma is to accelerate the calming of the phosphors in preparation for professional calibration. A number of people run them anyway and then use posted calibration settings. Considering the calibration settings can vary by unit I'm not sure there's much value in this. But because it's an expensive hobby and because sometimes doing anything feels more productive than doing nothing, it can be compelling to participate in a ritual of dubious Cerit if it gives one peace of mind.

Cheers, mate! I appreciate the insight. I have a free calibration coming to me from Best Buy since I'll be a silver rewards zone member for having purchased this TV, except I've heard their calibrations are not any better than what I could do myself.

I intend to use THX Cinema mode for a while, and then test out the DIY calibration disc I bought (Disney World of WOW!), since it seems easy enough for beginners.

Then, maybe in a year or two, I'd spring for a professional calibration.

Keep in mind, I'm coming up from a Vizio 720P 26" screen that had all sorts of visual problems ETC. So any way I slice it, I'm going to be satisfied with the ZT60.
Latinoheat's Avatar Latinoheat 02:59 PM 06-03-2013
Quote:

Cheers, mate! I appreciate the insight. I have a free calibration coming to me from Best Buy since I'll be a silver rewards zone member for having purchased this TV, except I've heard their calibrations are not any better than what I could do myself.

I intend to use THX Cinema mode for a while, and then test out the DIY calibration disc I bought (Disney World of WOW!), since it seems easy enough for beginners.

Keep in mind, I'm coming up from a Vizio 720P 26" screen that had all sorts of visual problems ETC. So any way I slice it, I'm going to be satisfied with the ZT60.

Wow, coming from a Vizio 26" to a panny ZT60! eek.gif You are going to blown way, lol.
mooney74's Avatar mooney74 03:14 PM 06-03-2013
W
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattestarr View Post

ZT60 number 918 reporting!

Got the set Friday delivered by Best Buy. Mounted in minutes. Replacing a 5 year old viera that was doing the "ten red flash might not turn back on" issue.

LOVE the new set and I know the image will only get better as we break it in.

Anyone have any links to calibrations other than the C-NET cinema tweak?

ALSO movies and shows recorded off DirectTV tend to look a little too real (ie. high end video not cinema). Any suggestions?

BTW we got our 60" ZT set for $3500 with interest free extended to 36 months, a free wall mount (supposedly $120 value) plus three extra 3D Glasses ($80 ea. value). I know they don't work on commission but they do want to move sets - don't be afraid to ask for freebies.

What mount did they throw in?
Dr Harford's Avatar Dr Harford 03:17 PM 06-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Wow, coming from a Vizio 26" to a panny ZT60! eek.gif You are going to blown way, lol.

Haha, I know. I'm so excited! biggrin.gif

It was a 2006 Vizio 720P LCD TV, and the final straw was when I waited months and months to watch ZERO DARK THIRTY, I had all the lights off and it was night time, and I couldn't make out one frame of the climactic raid.

I'd been planning to get a new TV, the right TV, the perfect TV, for a while, but had planned to save for a few years or so. Instead I decided that the time for the ZT60 had come. Initially I was looking at an ST60 for X-Mas, but ended up remembering I had a bunch of Exxon stock I could sell, and so I embarked on a giant project to get my dream home theater. With the ZT, I truly feel like I'll be going from (pardon the pun) zero to sixty! biggrin.gif
Bubbleboyjones's Avatar Bubbleboyjones 03:21 PM 06-03-2013
Quote:

Thanks!

I wouldn't care at all if it wasn't noticeable when watching content. If I don't see it then it's perfect to me...that's all that matters. Besides you need to figure how much is your time worth. Spending time returning a tv after setting it up...etc. Not worth it at all
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 03:37 PM 06-03-2013
Quote:

Thanks!
Depends upon how particular/perfectionist/analytical you are. wink.gif As I was saying before, I don't think it's "stuck" as much as it is actually defective out of the box (based on your description) and no amount of pixel "excitation" will make a difference. frown.gif
repete66211's Avatar repete66211 03:54 PM 06-03-2013
Quote:

I plan on keeping it on a THX mode, maybe tinkering a bit and having it calibrated by a pro this fall.
Dr Harford's Avatar Dr Harford 04:50 PM 06-03-2013
Glashub,

I'd totally return it. The ZT60 is the TV I have waited all my life for. I bought a 5 year square trade warranty to go with it. I'd absolutely swap it out if I got a dead pixel or some other sort of bunk within Best Buy's return window.

Demand excellence, demand the best!
Glashub's Avatar Glashub 05:33 PM 06-03-2013
Well, here's the thing -- a friend of mine who is pretty expert at this guarantees me that it will turn red. If that happens then I have a problem. Another thing I wonder about are whether the fans are working right. They are barely blowing out any air and the TV is getting almost Kuro hot. The VT50 didn't get warm at all. That impressed me. This VT60 gets really warm. Anyone else notice that?
Glashub's Avatar Glashub 05:34 PM 06-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbleboyjones View Post

I wouldn't care at all if it wasn't noticeable when watching content. If I don't see it then it's perfect to me...that's all that matters. Besides you need to figure how much is your time worth. Spending time returning a tv after setting it up...etc. Not worth it at all

Clearly you live in a bubble untouched by things that drive the rest of us crazy. smile.gif
dasanii19's Avatar dasanii19 06:26 PM 06-03-2013
Quote:

Well, here's the thing -- a friend of mine who is pretty expert at this guarantees me that it will turn red. If that happens then I have a problem. Another thing I wonder about are whether the fans are working right. They are barely blowing out any air and the TV is getting almost Kuro hot. The VT50 didn't get warm at all. That impressed me. This VT60 gets really warm. Anyone else notice that?
How are you testing for dead pixels? Through the slides? Do you have to look up close?
Glashub's Avatar Glashub 06:53 PM 06-03-2013
^^^^

While running the slides I do an exam when I get a new TV.
Bubbleboyjones's Avatar Bubbleboyjones 07:19 PM 06-03-2013
Quote:

Clearly you live in a bubble untouched by things that drive the rest of us crazy. smile.gif

Ha. But you said it yourself, ....can't be seen unless you're 3 feet or closer to the set. But if it bothers you that much then return it no question....4 grand on a tv should leave you extremely happy.

Honestly I would be driven 100x more crazy at the amount of time I would waste on returning the set. It's not like returning a pair of jeans at Macy's lol.
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar Cleveland Plasma 07:54 PM 06-03-2013
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbleboyjones View Post

There is no question it is not worth the return to some people. I actually do the same thing "sometimes". I was not like that in the past, but after time on earth, the most valuable asset we have on this planet is TIME ! No matter how much you have of anything: love, money, toys, ect ect. Time can not be replace and we all have a watch that is ticking..........
Tags: Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop