post #4231 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by alnilam1 View Post

BTW, I found it very helpful to go on-line to Panasonic and download the complete eHelp manual and then print it, double-sided if you can. I then went to Kinkos and had it spiral-bound and plastic covered like a proper manual. I find I use it all the time.
It is a useful resource, much more so than the other manual. It's also available on the TV itself (menu/help I think).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4232 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theteflondon View Post

i think this is a bunch of bull.

how can they be isf certified if they come out with no computers, software or calibration equipment?

they calibrate off an hd basics disc.
I've not used them myself but I've heard of a guy showing up with a scope of some sort. Definitely not as thorough as some of the better calibrators out there. Regardless, all you need to do to be ISF calibrated is to take an ISF cla$$. There are plenty of certified people in my industry who don't know their butts from a hole in the ground, as well as a fair share of non-certified people who know their stuff.

post #4233 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i would suggest this guy first contact d-nice, run his slides and then go from there.

i would never pay bb $250 to calibrate my tv.

i agree that someone's experience and reputation is worth far more than an isf diploma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

I've not used them myself but I've heard of a guy showing up with a scope of some sort. Definitely not as thorough as some of the better calibrators out there. Regardless, all you need to do to be ISF calibrated is to take an ISF cla$$. There are plenty of certified people in my industry who don't know their butts from a hole in the ground, as well as a fair share of non-certified people who know their stuff.
post #4234 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i would suggest this guy first contact d-nice, run his slides and then go from there.

i would never pay bb $250 to calibrate my tv.

i agree that someone's experience and reputation is worth far more than an isf diploma.
I've never heard of someone paying for BB calibration, just people who get it free through their Silver Rewards membership. Their argument is, "What can it hurt?" True, as long as you don't mind wasting your time.
theteflondon likes this.

post #4235 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

how can they be isf certified if they come out with no computers, software or calibration equipment?

They calibrate using CalMan + colorimeter and are ISF certified. The thing is, I don't think getting ISF certification is all that hard. All you have to do is take a course of some sort. The way I understand it is those guys take a few classes and ban they're calibrators. The best buy calibrator that came out to my house didn't know what the hell he was doing, was obviously a novice, and left the TV looking worse than it began with. I demanded printouts of all the readings before/after and all I got was a quick glimpse at the color gamut reading on the laptop, which looked way off. Still waiting on those before/after print outs.... Thankfully it was all part of Silver Rewards membership.
post #4236 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:

they guy ended up taking a **** and then urinating all over my bathroom floor.
LOL

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #4237 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:

What's the procedure for finding a good local calibrator for my 65" ZT-60? What should I look for or ask to determine he isn't just cranking in a bunch of his canned settings and handing me a bill? What equipment should he have with him for the tests? Or is most of the procedure just done by an expert eye? I asked at Best Buy and was told their guy was "tops." Is it an art form or a technical maze he wanders through? My set shows about 140 hours on it so I'm thinking it is about time.

My wife complains that the picture is too dark and we're hoping calibration will improve this. How does one weigh brightness vs. picture quality?

Thanks for any help.
You can use the customer reports thread that's linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post. The flat panel reports are in post number two. You will find reports on BB's Geek Guys at the top of the post. You should look at the plasma section, and don't worry about sticking to a single model (yours smile.gif)

Any calibrator with a good reputation here at AVS will be outstanding.

You can send a personal message (PM) to turbe to get information about touring areas covered by various calibrators. Turbe's signature area in his posts has links to that information.
post #4238 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

Quote:

you just want to make sure he is IFS certified and has a solid reputation.

the geek squad at best buy are not IFS certified and i wouldn't want them messing with my tv set
I wouldn't let them touch my TV either but they are ISF certified.
Being ISF certified only means that the person completed a very short course (2-3 days I think). There are no tests and no grades. It's an "I participated" document. I'm not sure, but I think that BB also does it's own ISF training. My feeling is that an anonymous calibrator has no vested interest in repeat business like the independent professional calibrators.

The idea that BB's calibrations are sometimes offered free only means that the cost of the calibration is included in the overhead. You'll find out what their calibrations are worth if you ask for the TV's price to be reduced based on not using the "free" calibration offer. wink.gif
post #4239 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post

I had the same issue. ...Others on the forum here have suggested that my power regulator/surge protector could be causing the issue but I haven't tried plugging the set directly into a wall socket yet. Give that a shot first.
Thanks, I'll try different power outlets this weekend.
post #4240 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Being ISF certified only means that the person completed a very short course (2-3 days I think). There are no tests and no grades. It's an "I participated" document. I'm not sure, but I think that BB also does it's own ISF training. My feeling is that an anonymous calibrator has no vested interest in repeat business like the independent professional calibrators.

The idea that BB's calibrations are sometimes offered free only means that the cost of the calibration is included in the overhead. You'll find out what their calibrations are worth if you ask for the TV's price to be reduced based on not using the "free" calibration offer. wink.gif
Isnt there another certification thats a little more respected than ISF? Maybe THX but I dont think so.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #4241 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
ok, tracking shows ceva picking up the 60ZT at LAX.

Quote:

either ceva, home direct or worse PILOT.

NEVER invite PILOT into your home or accept a delivery from them. NEVER!

two guys from PILOT showed up and one asked if he could use my bathroom. even through my bathroom was brand new I abliged as he was a huge meathead with tattoos all over him.

they guy ended up taking a **** and then urinating all over my bathroom floor.

horrible, horrible experience.
post #4242 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

They got the best eye in the business! biggrin.gif
post #4243 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 11:52 AM

Well that repair job was a total bust. He came out and tightened all the screws on the panels and it is still buzzing like crazy. Even though mine was a June build it had the foam around the fans so he really couldn't do anything there and they are still noisy.

Guess this one is going to have to go back.

Tried plugging the TV directly into the wall socket, no change in buzzing.
post #4244 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What's the procedure for finding a good local calibrator for my 65" ZT-60? What should I look for or ask to determine he isn't just cranking in a bunch of his canned settings and handing me a bill? What equipment should he have with him for the tests? Or is most of the procedure just done by an expert eye? I asked at Best Buy and was told their guy was "tops." Is it an art form or a technical maze he wanders through? My set shows about 140 hours on it so I'm thinking it is about time.

My wife complains that the picture is too dark and we're hoping calibration will improve this. How does one weigh brightness vs. picture quality?

Thanks for any help.

The bad news is after it is ISF calibrated, your picture will not be brighter. It will be the same brightness or potentially darker.

You will have to make a judgement call of if you want to make the picture brighter to satisfy how you like to view the display, or have it calibrated to ISF standards.

Also, 140 hours is not enough time. You need at least 300 hours on it.
Ken
post #4245 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 11:57 AM

and chaz bono the daughter of sonny and cher is a man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken6217 View Post

They got the best eye in the business! biggrin.gif
post #4246 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 11:59 AM

temperature wise how does the back of the panel feel?

the one at bb was quiet, had fantastic picture but was running very hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbobo19 View Post

Well that repair job was a total bust. He came out and tightened all the screws on the panels and it is still buzzing like crazy. Even though mine was a July build it had the foam around the fans so he really couldn't do anything there and they are still noisy.

post #4247 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:

temperature wise how does the back of the panel feel?

the one at bb was quiet, had fantastic picture but was running very hot.

it is hot front and back, not sure if need the run the heat in my family room with this thing on
post #4248 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

and chaz bono the daughter of sonny and cher is a man!!

Except that I was joking but Chaz is a man.
post #4249 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 12:28 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrWuMwRKH2c
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken6217 View Post

Except that I was joking but Chaz is a man.
post #4250 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 12:28 PM

Update #2:

Panasonic sent a tech out to verify the single dead pixel on my ZT60. Good news, Panasonic is replacing it with a new one. Now to pack up the darn thing.

Eric

My Stuff: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 w/  Ideal-Lume Bias Lighting, Yamaha RX-V3800, Oppo BDP-103D

post #4251 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
^Wow, that's surprising. I might have to give them a ring on my pixel defect for the hell of it. Not sure it's worth packing it back up, though (and thus removing the stand).
post #4252 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^Wow, that's surprising. I might have to give them a ring on my pixel defect for the hell of it. Not sure it's worth packing it back up, though (and thus removing the stand).

The first time I called Panasonic about the dead pixel, I asked the CSR what was the policy on dead/defective pixels. The first thing he said was if you can see it from 20 feet away, it was a problem. I think I laughed out loud when I heard that. The second person said that generally, support calls concerning pixels are escalated and dealt with on a case-by-case basis. This sounded much more plausible. Dead pixels are very rare when you start looking at the higher caliber televisions. Thankfully, in less than 24 hours they approved the RMA. The dealer I originally purchased the set from will be contacted by Panasonic and they'll be instructed to get me a brand new set. It's been a bit of a hassle but it is essentially resolved so I am happy with the service I've gotten from both the dealer and Panasonic.

Eric

My Stuff: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 w/  Ideal-Lume Bias Lighting, Yamaha RX-V3800, Oppo BDP-103D

post #4253 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
heh, that would absolve them of almost all responsibility (20 feet). I'm in a bit more of a pickle because, as you may recall, my pixel didn't fail until 3 months into ownership. I think the hassle I would undergo would make yours look like a cakewalk. tongue.gif Glad they took care of you.
post #4254 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 03:04 PM

Yep mine is definitely defective. I just went a local best buy that had them on display and the one in the store has maybe 1/4 the buzz.
post #4255 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 03:16 PM

i wonder if it's possible to "run the buzz out of the set"

keep in mind their's are on for 12 hours a day for weeks or months...

a side note -i noticed some faint vertical banding on the one at bb today. this could be due to the long hours the zt60 is on display.
Quote:

Yep mine is definitely defective. I just went a local best buy that had them on display and the one in the store has maybe 1/4 the buzz.
post #4256 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

i wonder if it's possible to "run the buzz out of the set"
keep in mind their's are on for 12 hours a day for weeks or months...

a side note -i noticed some faint vertical banding on the one at bb today. this could be due to the long hours the zt60 is on display.
I believe your assumption is backwards. The vertical banding is usually noticed on new sets 2-3 inches from the right and dissapears shortly after (100 hours?),
so if you did see it they must have just rolled it on the sales floor. You should go back and check the hours on the set, and clarify the location of the band for data purposes so anyone afflicted with it can determine an appropriate response.
post #4257 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 05:19 PM

i've just been eyeing it. i'm going with the 55" f9000 once amazon or bb drops prices below $2500. should be sooner rather than later; in a few months this will be considered last years model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxion View Post

I believe your assumption is backwards. The vertical banding is usually noticed on new sets 2-3 inches from the right and dissapears shortly after (100 hours?),
so if you did see it they must have just rolled it on the sales floor. You should go back and check the hours on the set, and clarify the location of the band for data purposes so anyone afflicted with it can determine an appropriate response.
post #4258 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 05:38 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Well that repair job was a total bust. He came out and tightened all the screws on the panels and it is still buzzing like crazy. Even though mine was a July build it had the foam around the fans so he really couldn't do anything there and they are still noisy.

It had the foam on both sides of the fans already? Mine is a June build and has foam between the fan and the back of the TV. Tech is coming tomorrow to install the foam kit, which is supposed to be installed between the fan and the panel from what I gather.

"It's been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtures" - Abraham Lincoln
post #4259 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvbuckeye View Post

October 2013 build date, ZT60 @65" delivered today with a $2899 price.

No scratches, no fan noise, no discernible IR. Skipped the break in.

Picture is simply incredible with CNET calibration settings.

Buy one if you can.

That is all.

Where did you but it from?
post #4260 of 12986 Old 11-21-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim leonhardt View Post

Where did you but it from?

Best Buy.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page