Advertisement

post #4682 of 12936 Old 12-02-2013, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^What are you going to do next? eek.gif Stick with the ST60? Try a VT60? I luckily didn't see the same green tint with any of the other settings (Cnet, Sammie, S&V, D-Nice).

Not sure, but guess I should just live with the ST60. On most scenes, it was really hard to see any difference between the ZT. Really just better room reflections and more contrast in a lit room. And slightly better blacks. Advantage to the ST are no fan, runs cooler and is actually brighter.

However, the deals on the VT60 are tempting. Done with the ZT, For me, the dim picture is not worth the trade-off for the better filter.
post #4683 of 12936 Old 12-03-2013, 02:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
double post sorry...
post #4684 of 12936 Old 12-03-2013, 02:48 AM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoor View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^What are you going to do next? eek.gif Stick with the ST60? Try a VT60? I luckily didn't see the same green tint with any of the other settings (Cnet, Sammie, S&V, D-Nice).

Not sure, but guess I should just live with the ST60. On most scenes, it was really hard to see any difference between the ZT. Really just better room reflections and more contrast in a lit room. And slightly better blacks. Advantage to the ST are no fan, runs cooler and is actually brighter.

However, the deals on the VT60 are tempting. Done with the ZT, For me, the dim picture is not worth the trade-off for the better filter.

I keep hearing about low brightness of ZT. I have my ZT in THX cinema, and I do not feel that the ZT is not bright enough.

I understand that 5fl brightness difference between VT and ZT comes from Value Electronics shootout results, which are several months old at this point. For what is worth, David Katzmaier, who reviewed ZT60 for CNET, states that ZT is actually brighter than VT in some picture modes. In addition, I understand that there is slight variance between TVs of the same model. In other worlds, there should be slight difference in brightness between two calibrated ZT60s or two calibrated VT60s even if both sets have the same screen size.

Could the Value Electronic Shootout 5 fl brightness difference between VT and ZT be simply result of unit to unit variance?

Does the 5 fl difference still persist for majority of VT and ZT calibrations?

Is 5 fl really that much of the difference to affect PQ even if it is true for majority of VT vs ZT calibrations in real world?

Also, ZT preserves the blacks better in bright room conditions. The reflections handling is undoubtedly better on ZT as well.

Would it not make ZT to have a punchier picture over VT in a bright room due to better blacks, contrast, and lower reflections even if ZT is indeed 5 fl dimmer?

According to the shootout, ZT and VT can hit 30 fl and 35 fl respectively when they are calibrated. I understand that most commercial movie theaters are calibrated to only 16 fl, which implies to me that ZT has plenty of brightness for dark room setting.

How important is the 5 fl extra light output in a dark room if it is indeed the case?

Will 5 fl make perceivable difference for 3d content?

I keep seeing posts about ZT supposed low brightness, but apart form the Value Electronic Shootout results, I can not find concrete data on the subject. I can not also figure out how much 5 fl really matters in real world performance.

Now, if my viewing environment was primary a dark room. I would get VT60 no question. According to the reviews, it should have the same or very similar dark room performance, and it is cheaper. Plus, it has better internal speakers and pop up camera.

I am sorry for so many questions lol. If people chime in, that would be great. I would love to get to the bottom of this.
post #4685 of 12936 Old 12-03-2013, 03:59 AM

30 night & 35 day is what my ZT is calibrated to.  We watch it on the night setting all the time, no problems, even with the room lights on, although we usually turn them off because we're watching movies.  I'm like you, what's the problem?

post #4686 of 12936 Old 12-03-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 214
My calibrated ZT emits 30 FL. Perhaps I would enjoy a brighter unit, especially were they right next to each other. As it is, I'm not very high maintenance and have yet to feel like it's not bright enough or that I'm missing out on anything. My setting is far from ideal--bay windows, kitchen, dining room behind viewing area--and I do get reflections sometimes, but whether it's daytime viewing with ambient light or nighttime viewing with dimmer-controlled lights, I love this TV. Not because it's perfect--because it isn't--but because it's so much better than what I had before.

post #4687 of 12936 Old 12-03-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Will be a sweet day when a flat 90" OLED at 50 pounds is $3000 wink.gif

Wouldn't it just.

Do you ever think we will just get a proper OLED in years to come that looks just like a flat panel display ?... As an option of the futuristic silly stuff...

I really can't ever imagine myself wanting (or having no choice but to) a curved OLED.

Or worse still, one that folds away eek.gif

Perhaps i like traditional looking too much i don't know...
post #4688 of 12936 Old 12-03-2013, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 89
New zt60 software update this morning. Whats it do?
post #4689 of 12936 Old 12-03-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu03 View Post

Do you ever think we will just get a proper OLED in years to come that looks just like a flat panel display ?... As an option of the futuristic silly stuff...
I would think there will be a Flat version.
Stu03 likes this.
post #4690 of 12936 Old 12-03-2013, 09:06 AM

Liked: 10
jumped on the Amazon deal last night for the 65 in ZT. It'll be replacing my Kuro 5020 (anyone know what I can sell a Kuro 5020 for these days?)
post #4691 of 12936 Old 12-03-2013, 10:20 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxion View Post

Did it update automatically, or did you have to do it manually?

My components:

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 TV
Yamaha RX-V673 Receiver
Sony BDP-S590 Blu-ray
Definitive Tech Speakers 7.1
post #4692 of 12936 Old 12-03-2013, 10:43 AM

Liked: 13

Hi,

Just bought the ZT60 - pretty satisfied so far!

One question - what is the best blu-ray player to use with this TV?

I have limited options - Sony S790, Panasonic 330 or Pioneer 450 (these are the ones I can buy with BR Multiregion) - I am European but love my Criterion collection..

Which one is best? I am inclined for the Pioneer but perhaps a match (Panasonic+Panasonic) is better?

Thank you

post #4693 of 12936 Old 12-03-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxion View Post

Are you sure? Panasonic website still shows 2.864.
post #4694 of 12936 Old 12-03-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBC PT View Post

Hi,
I have limited options - Sony S790, Panasonic 330 or Pioneer 450 (these are the ones I can buy with BR Multiregion) - I am European but love my Criterion collection..
Which one is best? I am inclined for the Pioneer but perhaps a match (Panasonic+Panasonic) is better?
Thank you
Congrats on the new TV. There is no "best" Blu-ray player to use with this TV. There is really no brand compatibility. The Blu-ray feeds a signal to the TV and the TV displays it. The only "back and forth" I can think of where compatibility may come into play involves HDMI control, which allows you to power cycle multiple devices connected together via HDMI.

post #4695 of 12936 Old 12-03-2013, 12:15 PM

Liked: 53
deleted
post #4696 of 12936 Old 12-03-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Improve system stability.

post #4697 of 12936 Old 12-03-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Probably same one pushed to ST60 sets

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #4698 of 12936 Old 12-03-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBC PT View Post

Hi,
Thank you

OPPO-105 biggrin.gif
post #4699 of 12936 Old 12-03-2013, 01:09 PM

Hello again...

Just an initial update on my TV:

We have only put 28 hrs on this TV in 10 days mainly because I have been living at work recently but.....

I think I'm in love!! The TV was fantastic right out of the box but I inputted Sammie's settings (into Custom) after a few hours of TV time and it made a remarkable picture absolutely stunning! It looks like I'm looking either through an open window... or imagine being outside on a perfectly clear/minimal humidity crisp day. Amazing picture!!

I have yet to try 3D: I will but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

This TV is plenty bright enough for me even in the day. Although my picture window faces south my ambient light is somewhat subdued. Late morning is actually the brightest and this TV has no problem with the light that shines in. Nighttime viewing for me is spectacular as I have minimal artificial light around my house so my viewing area can become quite dark; lets those all important blacks and shadows "pop"....if black could actually do that....LOL...

I didn't run slides, just making sure all content fills the screen and staying away from anything static (screens with fixed logos, etc...)

I have watched bits of DVD's (Armageddon and Apollo 13) along with 2 Blu Ray offerings :Glory and National Treasure 2 (fun for the sound, too). This set brings a new life to those films. The upgrade in picture quality was such that I'm sure I'll be re watching my whole movie collection!! I will need to upgrade my Blu Ray player to 3D, because I'm sure I'll be starting a different collection of those, too.

I'm looking forward to enjoying the next few hundred hrs then I will have this calibrated. I've never had a set calibrated before but based on what I read from folks here if there is a way to unlock more to this I'm going to! I may go nuts and have my audio calibrated along with it.

My apologies for not really getting into the technical part of descriptions: Remarkable to Stunning probably aren't industry terms but all I can say is if you can imagine being out in the country on a perfectly clear night (no lights around and throw in a new moon for good measure) or somewhere scenic on a perfect day, your imagination will paint a better picture than any descriptions I can offer. I could go on with the superlatives others have used, but I would only be affirming those you've read out here.

I do have one question though: Are the rechargeable Panny 3D glasses (TY-ER3D4MU) the best out there or are there better options? I don't think there will be any issues with the glasses offered but since they run on battery I'd like to use those as backups (company) and get a pair of good ones for the Mrs and me.

Just FYI: This TV replaced a Panny 54" G10 series unit from 2010. Still a very, very good TV: That one went into our secondary living room.

My H/T:

Panny Flagship 65"
Oppo BDP-83
Onkyo TX-705 receiver
Omni Mirage Speakers (Towers, Center and Surrounds)
Hsu VTF-3 MK4 Sub
post #4700 of 12936 Old 12-03-2013, 03:01 PM

Liked: 53
deleted
post #4701 of 12936 Old 12-03-2013, 03:22 PM

HI All,

Just got my 65ZT60 delivered today and while it's warming up from a cold day on the delivery truck in Michigan, I've made some initial design/build observations that I'd like to share:

Unboxing - wow, it's a gorgeous set.

Looking a little deeper into the design, it appears the upper left and right sections of the glass, near the edge, are not perfectly affixed/glued into place:

The set is still very cold from shipment, so I'm not going to push on it. Has anyone else experienced this? The gap is slightly wider than a fingernail and seems to only be present at the upper edges.

The gap minimizes almost completely toward the center, and isn't present along the vertical sides, either.

It's a July 2013 build. My initial thoughts are - could the cold weather (22F) contribute to this?
There are screws on the back of the set, but it doesn't appear any of them are directly related to tightening/loosening the front glass panel.

I haven't turned it on yet as I want to let it warm up - and the bowed parts of the panel aren't near the actual viewable/lit portion of the screen, but I just wanted to see if this was a design 'feature' or 'flaw.'

Thanks for any opinions!
post #4702 of 12936 Old 12-03-2013, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalGC View Post

I took delivery of my ZT60 65 today. Ordered through Amazon when they price matched Paul's. No delivery issues other than the TV had been in a warehouse all weekend and was very cold when it was delivered. So I had to wait several hours for it to warm up to room temperature before turning it on.

I now have it on HBO and will let it run almost continuously until it's sufficiently broken in. I have D-Nice scheduled to calibrate it late next week.

I'm not having it mounted until next Monday since my primary AV guy wasn't available until then. At the same time I'm having some re-wiring done to the setup in my basement, which is where this TV will be. I have an equipment room separate from the main room where my TV is. When everything was installed in 2006, the AV company ran component cables only from the equipment room to the TV area. Since my previous TV was 720p only, it wasn't an issue. Now, of course, I need HDMI.

So, right now, I only have component cables available to use, and the picture isn't the best. I'm not sure if it's related to the cables or not, but skin tones aren't displaying quite right. They look too light and seem to even change colors at times. I have it set on Cinema mode.

I'll wait until I get everything done before really judging thing, though. The TV itself is gorgeous and I can't wait to get everything in place next week. I'll post some pics once I do.

If the AV company ran coax instead of pre-made component cables, you may be able to save some money and use a coax to hdmi balun to transfer the video and get full HD. Whether its worth it or not depends on how easy it is to replace the component with hdmi and how far the distance is.
post #4703 of 12936 Old 12-03-2013, 04:02 PM

Does the stand come preinstalled when you unbox it?
post #4704 of 12936 Old 12-03-2013, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt310 View Post

HI All,

Just got my 65ZT60 delivered today and while it's warming up from a cold day on the delivery truck in Michigan, I've made some initial design/build observations that I'd like to share:

Unboxing - wow, it's a gorgeous set.

Looking a little deeper into the design, it appears the upper left and right sections of the glass, near the edge, are not perfectly affixed/glued into place:

The set is still very cold from shipment, so I'm not going to push on it. Has anyone else experienced this? The gap is slightly wider than a fingernail and seems to only be present at the upper edges.

The gap minimizes almost completely toward the center, and isn't present along the vertical sides, either.

It's a July 2013 build. My initial thoughts are - could the cold weather (22F) contribute to this?
There are screws on the back of the set, but it doesn't appear any of them are directly related to tightening/loosening the front glass panel.

I haven't turned it on yet as I want to let it warm up - and the bowed parts of the panel aren't near the actual viewable/lit portion of the screen, but I just wanted to see if this was a design 'feature' or 'flaw.'

Thanks for any opinions!

I live in Texas and mine was delivered Saturday with the temp being in the upper 50's/low 60's and it had the same issue on the corners. Doesn't bother me as it is not on the display portion and it is up on the wall so I never get that close to see it.
post #4705 of 12936 Old 12-03-2013, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20

Reading about zt being "so much darker" than the st60. This has me a little confused and concerned. I have the ST and just ordered a zt (bonus at work!). 

I should be totally happy right?!?!?! I prefer accurate to bright...but that doesnt mean I want a dark display. 

Am I reading too much into this? The ZT will be better...right!

On a long enough time line the survival rate for everyone drops to zero
Panasonic 65ZT60 (STOLEN), Samsung f8500 64"
Marantz 7008 as pre/pro
(STOLEN)Emotiva XPA-5 gen 2
(STOLEN)Axiom M22, M2, SVS PB12NSDx2, Definitive Technology Mythos 3 (STOLEN)
PS3, Xfinity X2 (beta)Working to replace stolen items...
post #4706 of 12936 Old 12-03-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Man, and I thought my OCD was bad. Reading this thread, I wonder how some of you make it out of the house...lol biggrin.gif
repete66211 and tlwiz1 like this.
post #4707 of 12936 Old 12-03-2013, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20

Who said I make it out of the house...:D

On a long enough time line the survival rate for everyone drops to zero
Panasonic 65ZT60 (STOLEN), Samsung f8500 64"
Marantz 7008 as pre/pro
(STOLEN)Emotiva XPA-5 gen 2
(STOLEN)Axiom M22, M2, SVS PB12NSDx2, Definitive Technology Mythos 3 (STOLEN)
PS3, Xfinity X2 (beta)Working to replace stolen items...
post #4708 of 12936 Old 12-03-2013, 05:20 PM

Purchased the 60" ZT60 last night from Amazon for $2300.

My last TV purchase was a 42PZ700U which was pretty highly rated back in 2006.

I did not NEED a new TV, I am still happy with the picture of the PZ700U, but I WANTED a new TV  =)

Could not pass up the deal and sad to hear Panasonic would not be making plasma TVs any more.

I think I will eventually get the set professionally calibrated but will likely used D-nice method in the interim.

Now I have several hundred pages of forum posts to research the ins/outs of the TV =)

post #4709 of 12936 Old 12-03-2013, 05:21 PM

The stand isn't pre installed, but it only takes a phillips head screwdriver to tighten 9 screws. This takes about 5 minutes.. Very easy to set up and is more than strong enough to hold the set into place.
post #4710 of 12936 Old 12-03-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant12179 View Post

Does the stand come preinstalled when you unbox it?

see the post above...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page