Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 163 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4861 of 12240 Old 12-10-2013, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
When running the break-in slides, is there a preference towards a certain Picture mode? Currently I tend to run them in Standard mode but in this mode the options for Orbitor (under screen settings) are greyed out. I read somewhere that you're supposed to break-in with the Orbitor off but I haven't figured out how to do so....

Although I have asked it already before but didn't get an answer so far, is it even possible to turn off that Viera screen saver (the hopping word 'Viera')?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 12240 Old 12-10-2013, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanjumper View Post

When running the break-in slides, is there a preference towards a certain Picture mode? Currently I tend to run them in Standard mode but in this mode the options for Orbitor (under screen settings) are greyed out. I read somewhere that you're supposed to break-in with the Orbitor off but I haven't figured out how to do so....

Although I have asked it already before but didn't get an answer so far, is it even possible to turn off that Viera screen saver (the hopping word 'Viera')?
Follow DNice instructions. I believe its Custom mode. I have a post in the Settings thread with step by step instructions.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #4863 of 12240 Old 12-10-2013, 05:14 PM

Ah thanks. It's under Photo settings I see now.

Any idea regarding the Screen saver?
post #4864 of 12240 Old 12-10-2013, 05:15 PM

Liked: 53
deleted
post #4865 of 12240 Old 12-10-2013, 05:35 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by keef95 View Post

Greetings all!

I received my new 65" ZT60 and what a nice display! I ran prep slides for a 100 hours, got it mounted up in my room and finally got to see what the hoopla was all about...This thing ROCKS! I felt lucky to have no dead pixels. Although I may engage Panasonic over the ubiquitous fan sound and see if it can be quieted any more, that's acceptable as well...It's only noticable when my HVAC and/or the Coolerguys fans on the back of my cabinet aren't running.

Although there were some decent settings out of the box (THX Cinema was probably my favorite), loading it with custom settings really makes the display shine.

Using ControlCAL for setup is a hoot! (assuming you like playing with the brains of your devices by remote control) I had an issue with the software download but the support Turbe provides is awesome and had it sorted in no time. It's really nice to be able to connect my PC to the display via home network then try settings generously provided by members. I can't say enough good things about ControlCAL...a value at twice the price.

I live in rural Idaho and as far as I know, there's no calibration services around here so will make due. If anyone out there has settings that you feel really exploit all this display has to offer, I'd sure enjoy trying yours out.

When I get a chance, will post photos of the new addition to the family.

Cheers and Happy Holidays!!

Congrats and welcome to the club! You're going to love it!!!

Panasonic 60ZT60 // Panasonic 60ST60 // Samsung UN55B8500 // Mitsubishi HC6800
post #4866 of 12240 Old 12-10-2013, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalGC View Post

Finally got my new ZT mounted. Seems like it's been a month even though it's only been a week since it was delivered. D-Nice is coming on Thursday to calibrate it, so I'm looking forward to that too.

I also had my new Yamaha 673 receiver installed and I'm loving that too.

Here's a couple of pics I snapped of my setup, which is in the main room of my basement:

Nice setup, Enjoy!

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #4867 of 12240 Old 12-10-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanjumper View Post

Ah thanks. It's under Photo settings I see now.

Any idea regarding the Screen saver?

So, I think I figured out why I saw that screen saver while running the slides. There are two ways to access and run the slides. The best way is to go to the Media Player, then select Photos, and then start the slideshow. Although I just started doing it this way I have a feeling that this will avoid the screen saver kicking in.

The other (wrong?) way is access Pictureframe on the Homescreen. It will also run the same picture files but now the screen saver does become active.
post #4868 of 12240 Old 12-10-2013, 06:18 PM

Liked: 17
Finally got my ZT and compared to my broken in st it's super nice. Can't wait til the zt is broken in!!! Us ing controlcal was nice to load settings too. Very easy.

On a long enough time line the survival rate for everyone drops to zero

Panasonic 60ZT60

Marantz 6007 (as a pre/pro)

Emotiva XPA-5 gen 2

Axiom M22, M2, SVS PB12NSDx2 Definitive Technology Mythos 3

PS3

Xfinity X2 (beta)

post #4869 of 12240 Old 12-10-2013, 07:33 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post

You should be fine with "the fix" already in place. This thread, post 688, describes a possible way to check, but otherwise you'd have to open up the set and look. The other option is to check with your ears. smile.gif

Enjoy your set.

I was not sure if I saw light through the vent to the right of the right side fan, but when I put the flashlight on the right vent, I could clearly see light inside the fan, so I am guessing I do not have the foam fix in my August build. That said, I can not really hear the fans unless I am behind the TV and there are no bad pixels yet, so I am satisfied. Not sure if I should call Panasonic for the on-site fan fix while the warrantee is still in place or leave well enough alone.
post #4870 of 12240 Old 12-10-2013, 08:11 PM

Liked: 14
What Audio settings do you guys use? The audio seems pretty crappy.

I'm about 12.5 inches from the wall and the one foot or less setting is a bit tinny. The over one foot setting is a bit too bassy.

Any ideas? Can't get surrounded or a sound bar.
post #4871 of 12240 Old 12-10-2013, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
The ZT60 is not renowned for its sound quality, I'm afraid (I have yet to be impressed by the speakers, granted I haven't really fidgeted with them much at all since I typically do serious viewing with my Pioneer AVR and Definitive Tech/Epik speakers/subwoofer).
post #4872 of 12240 Old 12-10-2013, 09:57 PM

I've got the 65ZT with 142 hours on it. I have run dnice's slides. I noticed tonight a hard line on the bottom. It's about 4 inches from the bottom. It appears to be burn in from those INFURIATING bottom line tickers(I can't tell you how much I despise those things) that and the channel logo's. Do they think we're that dumb not to know what channel we're on. It is most noticeable in bright scenes. Is it there to stay are is there a way to wipe it out? Will the built in screen wipe do it if I run it for a while?mad.gif
post #4873 of 12240 Old 12-10-2013, 09:59 PM

Liked: 53
deleted
post #4874 of 12240 Old 12-10-2013, 10:18 PM

Does anyone have this problem or perhaps can offer a solution? When watching a TV feed a bright line comes/goes/flashes across the top of the screen. The line varies in brightness and I can't discern a pattern as to when it comes or goes but it is much more prevalent watching some channels rather than others. I can make it go away by setting Overscan to On, but I wonder if there is something else I should look at. With an old CRT set there was a vertical adjustment to move the scan up or down. Does this TV have a similar adjustment or is Overscan my only choice?

My TV feed is Verizon FIOS through a Denon 4308Ci using HDMI
post #4875 of 12240 Old 12-10-2013, 10:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thats normal. Overscan is your only choice.

post #4876 of 12240 Old 12-10-2013, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by duvy56 View Post

I've got the 65ZT with 142 hours on it. I have run dnice's slides. I noticed tonight a hard line on the bottom. It's about 4 inches from the bottom. It appears to be burn in from those INFURIATING bottom line tickers(I can't tell you how much I despise those things) that and the channel logo's. Do they think we're that dumb not to know what channel we're on. It is most noticeable in bright scenes. Is it there to stay are is there a way to wipe it out? Will the built in screen wipe do it if I run it for a while?mad.gif

I would do the screen wipe in combination with several hours of logo/tracker/etc free full screen mixed content. I also heard people have had luck with the pixel flipper pattern on the Disney WOW calibration disk. Good luck.
post #4877 of 12240 Old 12-11-2013, 01:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopit View Post

I was not sure if I saw light through the vent to the right of the right side fan, but when I put the flashlight on the right vent, I could clearly see light inside the fan, so I am guessing I do not have the foam fix in my August build. That said, I can not really hear the fans unless I am behind the TV and there are no bad pixels yet, so I am satisfied. Not sure if I should call Panasonic for the on-site fan fix while the warrantee is still in place or leave well enough alone.

If you can't hear the fans from where you normally sit, I wouldn't bother with it. Most likely Panasonic can tell by your set's serial number, but August and later builds are supposed to have the fix in place as part of normal manufacturing. (All you've done is made me a bit skeptical about being able to use a flashlight to see if the fix is present.) Give it a week or two of watching/listening, it may take a while to really hear if anything is going on, to acclimate your ears. [Mine's a June build, took a few days to notice the fans, most notable during quieter dialog, or with volume off and no background noise (e.g., late at night). Not "fixed" yet.]
post #4878 of 12240 Old 12-11-2013, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Nice setup, Enjoy!

Thanks. Really enjoying it so far.

My components:

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 TV
Yamaha RX-V673 Receiver
Sony BDP-S590 Blu-ray
Definitive Tech Speakers 7.1
post #4879 of 12240 Old 12-11-2013, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So I go to watch my 65" ZT the other night after not using it for about 2 weeks (terrible, I know but a new baby puts a real damper on movie watching) and look what I see:

Now I haven't even been in the room with this set for 2 weeks (and nor has my wife). The room is kept at a constant 65-67 degrees. Is this the dreaded "micro fractures" that I've heard about? The crack looking things are actually behind the glass pane (or at least on the back side of it). I thought it might be the anti-glare filter or something delaminating.

My initial round with Panasonic service was not good. They said that this is not a "manufacturing defect." I had them escalate again because I didn't do a darn thing to this TV and it was perfect for months (I got it in August) and I went over it with a fine toothed comb when it was delivered back in August.
post #4880 of 12240 Old 12-11-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Its unlikely that it would have a microcrack from the delivery date and be good for several months and then suddenly crack that badly. Unfortunately you will probably be facing an uphill battle.

post #4881 of 12240 Old 12-11-2013, 08:50 AM

My issue with the Panasonic technicians just looking at the pictures and saying it is not a defect is that if I "broke" the screen wouldn't the cracks continue into the black bezel area? Remember, this is a "one-sheet of glass" design. How could someone crack the screen and yet have the cracks magically stop right at the black bezel area? And the cracking appears to be beneath the layer of glass or at least on the back side of it.

I'm still under the belief that either the anti-reflective filter or possibly the color filter is debonding from the back of the glass pane. This would make a lot more sense. No way in heck I'm getting stuck with a $3000 TV that is only 100 days old that looks like this. I've got a SquareTrade warranty from Costco on this too, but they won't touch anything until after the manufacturer's warranty expires.
post #4882 of 12240 Old 12-11-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

So youre not sure if its cracked or not? If it was twisted or dropped rather than being an impact it may crack that way. ST may help you if Panasonic wont. I dont know but its worth a phone call if all else fails.

post #4883 of 12240 Old 12-11-2013, 09:21 AM

I don't believe that they are cracks as the "crack lines" don't make it to the front surface of the glass panel. When you look at the glass from the side you can see that the lines appear to be BEHIND the glass or only only the back of the glass. I've never seen glass crack where the cracks didn't continue through the whole sheet (front to back). Hence my believe that this is something like a filter that was bonded to the back of the panel. This could even be a failure of the unique "auto-claving" process that Panasonic was using to help bond the filter directly to the panel.

This TV has been sitting on a wall mount unit since August, so it hasn't been subjected to any twisting or any other type of blunt trauma
post #4884 of 12240 Old 12-11-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Its unlikely that it would have a microcrack from the delivery date and be good for several months and then suddenly crack that badly. Unfortunately you will probably be facing an uphill battle.
I think this would not be that bad of a battle, when a screen crack's it is one or two major crack's. This is totally different and I have seen nothing like it. That looks like the way safety glass breaks, except usually it does not stop. The whole sheet of glass should look like that. Call Panasonic out, I bet they swap the set. 1-800-211 PANA
post #4885 of 12240 Old 12-11-2013, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post

I don't believe that they are cracks as the "crack lines" don't make it to the front surface of the glass panel. When you look at the glass from the side you can see that the lines appear to be BEHIND the glass or only only the back of the glass. I've never seen glass crack where the cracks didn't continue through the whole sheet (front to back). Hence my believe that this is something like a filter that was bonded to the back of the panel. This could even be a failure of the unique "auto-claving" process that Panasonic was using to help bond the filter directly to the panel.

This TV has been sitting on a wall mount unit since August, so it hasn't been subjected to any twisting or any other type of blunt trauma

That is a VERY interesting supposition that I actually gave much thought to when I first read about this proprietary bonding technique. To my knowledge, nobody has ever done a thing like this before in the display manufacturing arena and I initially had huge misgivings about this process and application over the long term. So much so, I still have a slight apprehension about the ZT but didn't really want to voice my concerns as of yet. Of course, there's absolutely nothing (not yet, at least) concrete to hang our contemplative theory on but it is enough, though, to give this ZT owner pause.

Sorry for your misfortune Influence, and I sincerely hope the outcome of your case is a favorable one.

P.S. If you don't mind, please keep the participants of this thread apprised of your dealings with Panasonic. Thanks.
post #4886 of 12240 Old 12-11-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:

My issue with the Panasonic technicians just looking at the pictures and saying it is not a defect is that if I "broke" the screen wouldn't the cracks continue into the black bezel area? Remember, this is a "one-sheet of glass" design. How could someone crack the screen and yet have the cracks magically stop right at the black bezel area? And the cracking appears to be beneath the layer of glass or at least on the back side of it.

I'm still under the belief that either the anti-reflective filter or possibly the color filter is debonding from the back of the glass pane. This would make a lot more sense. No way in heck I'm getting stuck with a $3000 TV that is only 100 days old that looks like this. I've got a SquareTrade warranty from Costco on this too, but they won't touch anything until after the manufacturer's warranty expires.
Thinking of getting the extended warranty on this set (ZT) which is better the Square Trade or what Best Buy offers?
post #4887 of 12240 Old 12-11-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvy56 View Post

Thinking of getting the extended warranty on this set (ZT) which is better the Square Trade or what Best Buy offers?
My understanding is that BB is better but cost more. BB will cover burn in but ST will not.

post #4888 of 12240 Old 12-11-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

I think this would not be that bad of a battle, when a screen crack's it is one or two major crack's. This is totally different and I have seen nothing like it. That looks like the way safety glass breaks, except usually it does not stop. The whole sheet of glass should look like that. Call Panasonic out, I bet they swap the set. 1-800-211 PANA

Yup, I agree that is what usually happens when glass cracks. This is definitely different. I'll keep everyone appraised, but I'm just concerned that they initially rejected the repair/replace request. I'm supposed to hear by tomorow after they review the claim/pictures again. With the supply on these sets rapidly dwindling, I'm concerned that even if they do approve a replacement, there won't be any left mad.gif
post #4889 of 12240 Old 12-11-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:

So I go to watch my 65" ZT the other night after not using it for about 2 weeks (terrible, I know but a new baby puts a real damper on movie watching) and look what I see:

Now I haven't even been in the room with this set for 2 weeks (and nor has my wife). The room is kept at a constant 65-67 degrees. Is this the dreaded "micro fractures" that I've heard about? The crack looking things are actually behind the glass pane (or at least on the back side of it). I thought it might be the anti-glare filter or something delaminating.

My initial round with Panasonic service was not good. They said that this is not a "manufacturing defect." I had them escalate again because I didn't do a darn thing to this TV and it was perfect for months (I got it in August) and I went over it with a fine toothed comb when it was delivered back in August.

This user had the same issue (pic included): http://www.avsforum.com/t/1496625/zt60-manufacturing-screen-defect#post_23878397

He got his replaced, but he received it like that from Day 1.
post #4890 of 12240 Old 12-11-2013, 11:35 AM

My delivery from Paul's is scheduled for tomorrow. (Was supposed to have been yesterday but snow cancelled it). Really hope there are no issues with my unit. Its only supposed to be 27 degrees for the high here tomorrow, so I will not be able to turn it on when it is delivered.

I ordered it almost 2 weeks ago, but I think it is the sub-contracted delivery company of Radiant Logistics which has been slow. It has been with them since the 5th not 15 miles from my house....
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page