Forum Jump: 

Old 12-18-2013, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxion View Post

Panel "variance" seems to be a bunch of BS. How can panasonic sell a set that is much superior to the exact same one sitting next to it.
OK, well, good luck coming up with another explanation that doesn't seem like a bunch of BS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjodotcom View Post

Anyone else noticing minor banding/DSE with this set?

I've noticed banding on video, usually faces of people. Some faces look like they have greenish/redish tones to their faces in dark scenes. Not sure exactly if its just this TV showing the problems of low quality video encoding due to its higher contrast ratio or what.. but its a little bothering. Then on some really dark scenes, for example the new sprint commericals with James Earl Jones and the other old guy, I see banding in the blacks, like its only 3 shades of black, not smooth gradients. Again.. could just be the source compressing the video and this TV just makes it looks worse. If I switch to THX Bright Room it makes those greenish/redish faces look even worse with worse banding in the face. The THX Cinema, Dnice, Cnet settings help bring it down though so its harder to see that banding.. just curious if that's normal though. My source is Direct TV and Blu-Ray's. Blu-Ray's do look better, less banding which makes me think its just source material being encoded poorly.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:56 AM

Just had a thought about the cracks in my screen. It was about 45-50 degrees outside when the tv was delivered. I let it sit inside for about 2 hours before I tried to turn it on. Anyone think I didn't let it warm up enough before I turned it on. The screen never lit up and the buzzing started immediately as I hit the power button. I can't imagine that it would have produced enough heat that quickly to damage the set, but wondered if anyone else had any thoughts about this.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

OK, well, good luck coming up with another explanation that doesn't seem like a bunch of BS.
"User variance"?

Old 12-18-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanosWRX View Post

I've noticed banding on video, usually faces of people. Some faces look like they have greenish/redish tones to their faces in dark scenes. Not sure exactly if its just this TV showing the problems of low quality video encoding due to its higher contrast ratio or what.. but its a little bothering. Then on some really dark scenes, for example the new sprint commericals with James Earl Jones and the other old guy, I see banding in the blacks, like its only 3 shades of black, not smooth gradients. Again.. could just be the source compressing the video and this TV just makes it looks worse. If I switch to THX Bright Room it makes those greenish/redish faces look even worse with worse banding in the face. The THX Cinema, Dnice, Cnet settings help bring it down though so its harder to see that banding.. just curious if that's normal though. My source is Direct TV and Blu-Ray's. Blu-Ray's do look better, less banding which makes me think its just source material being encoded poorly.
You just need a calibration. My May 2013 model also exhibits these green skin tones in THX Bright Room. Like you said, Dnice and Cnet settings (as well as Sound and Vision and Sammie's) dial this out. Not everyone reports these obvious green tones, so it just goes to show there is something more to this panel variance theory (than BS). smile.gif
Old 12-18-2013, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Calm down vinnie, dont get your pannies in a twist, i meant that the variance being there in the first place is BS, on panasonics part. Not disputing anyones claim it exsists. I dont like to gamble, so why do i have to put up with that if i want the best tv in this price range.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:22 AM

Calm down? I see no caps usage in any of my posts. wink.gif Anyway, being an outsider I can only speculate so much. It's just a little annoying to see my best effort speculation be coined as BS.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by improwise View Post

That is probably the main reason why Panasonic stop producing plasmas - lack of sales.
Nope, the answer is, not enough profit and they are moving to OLED, the superior technology to everything else produced to date.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:37 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

Not really. The lighter slides will show some slight variance in panel uniformity, which I would attribute to the light filter as much or more than to the panel itself. That's if I'm scrutinizing the TV, which I don't do much of any more. Usually I just watch and enjoy it.

Enjoy it? Really? That is want your supposed to do? wink.gif
repete66211 likes this.

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
Old 12-18-2013, 10:42 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Nope, the answer is, not enough profit and they are moving to OLED, the superior technology to everything else produced to date.

Are you saying that sales of plasma televisions hasn't declined every year for the last couple of years and so has the marketshare for plasma? The ability to make profit is of course directly related to how many items you sell, as the fixed costs per unit decreases with volume.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:44 AM

Liked: 53
deleted
Old 12-18-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 886
Quote:

Calm down? I see no caps usage in any of my posts. wink.gif Anyway, being an outsider I can only speculate so much. It's just a little annoying to see my best effort speculation be coined as BS.
We love you Vinnie. Now quit with the BS. biggrin.gif

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Old 12-18-2013, 11:30 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramouche59 View Post

Just had a thought about the cracks in my screen. It was about 45-50 degrees outside when the tv was delivered. I let it sit inside for about 2 hours before I tried to turn it on. Anyone think I didn't let it warm up enough before I turned it on. The screen never lit up and the buzzing started immediately as I hit the power button. I can't imagine that it would have produced enough heat that quickly to damage the set, but wondered if anyone else had any thoughts about this.

FWIW, my first two sets had spider web-like  cracks to the panel on delivery (the outer glass was fine, the sub panel was "shattered"  looking, like safety glass would look). It was only clearly visible under direct, bright light. I did not notice it on the first set, until I tried to power it up. The 2nd time, I used the LED on my cell to discover the fine line cracks before it even came out of the box. 3rd time was a charm, and Amazon compensated me for my inconvenience.

Anyway, maybe that's what happened to you.....just bad luck during the delivery process. But, as you know, you do need to bring the panel to room temperature before you first power it on. BTW, the set is fantastic and well worth the wait.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey everyone,

Just got my ZT60 Monday night. I'm so excited. Although the fans are slightly audible, I consider them to be the typical noise volume of small fans. My TV does not buzz any more than any other plasma I've had. It's an October build. I immediately started running the D'Nice slides with all the specified settings. Chad B is in my area the end of the month and I managed to book him for December 29th. My concern is in order to get in the recommended 300 hours before he comes, I'll have to basically run it 24/7 until the day he comes. Is it ok to run the break in slides nonstop for the whole period?

Also, I know to turn off CATS and Motion Smoothing, but are there any other settings I should make a point to turn off/change? What are the best 3D settings? I know for the VT50, there was considerably less crosstalk by changing some settings.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:09 PM

I will use a flashlight to check the next one. Could not see the cracks from directly in front of the screen and most only seen with the illumination. I hope the second time's a charm!
Old 12-18-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

How many years until we can buy a top end 65" OLED for the same price ZTs are going for now? I'm thinking we are quite a ways from that.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

ive already said panasonic is to blame for the variance, that is the bs, so obviously i agree some have more ir than others, ive had 6 panasonic plasmas within the last 3 years. You read it wrong the first time
Old 12-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreb View Post

No. Gamma at 2.2 my bars don't blend. Gamma at 2.4 they blend most of the time. Interestingly gamma at 2.0 also blends.
I don't understand why you would actually buy this tv and without even opening it up are ready to return it because the bars don't blend in with the bezel??? wtf?

Quote:

It blends in, in all scenes. Id
Keep the zt, based on the fact you know your
Holding out till oled, you will feel more comfortable having the best.

Quote:

Line bleed's a bit more severe on Panasonic than other brands, though, as it has been reported. Concerning dark scenes blending into the bezel, what kind of ambient light are we talking? If none whatsoever and the light level is low enough (i.e. a space scene with no nearby light-emitting objects), the bezel will appear slightly blacker. More often than not, however, you'll get a total blend.

Oreb, Axxxion and Vinnie97, which is it? lol
Old 12-18-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

A Standard while. Dont do it for a Metric while.

I can't stop laughing at this!
Old 12-18-2013, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

If my ZT60 gets horrible banding or Dirty Screen Effect will the Panasonic Warranty replace the panel?

And should I assume ZT60s will have less screen uniformity problems because of the studio master panel technology? ie glass panel and display panel being bonded together in an autoclave?

Anybody?
Old 12-18-2013, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

T
Quote:

Oreb, Axxxion and Vinnie97, which is it? lol
the better question is, what are you options in the price range for a tv of this quality, and how long can you get these? Like i said, i never noticed the black bars not blending in, not in thx cinema anyway. Is there a difference in blackness? Most likely, but do i ever notice it? No
Old 12-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Anybody?
Im not sure, it seems sometimes its a gamble on how much they help you. Also might depend on the company they use to verify yout claim. Wouldnt you be able to return in with whoever you purchased it with anyway? Thats usually alot easier then going to panasonic.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:

T
the better question is, what are you options in the price range for a tv of this quality, and how long can you get these? Like i said, i never noticed the black bars not blending in, not in thx cinema anyway. Is there a difference in blackness? Most likely, but do i ever notice it? No
Plus, the ZT60 is bilingual, which will surely come in handy in Canada, n'est-ce pas? smile.gif Count me among those who believes in blending bars.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:13 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlore View Post

Hey everyone,

Just got my ZT60 Monday night. I'm so excited. Although the fans are slightly audible, I consider them to be the typical noise volume of small fans. My TV does not buzz any more than any other plasma I've had. It's an October build. I immediately started running the D'Nice slides with all the specified settings. Chad B is in my area the end of the month and I managed to book him for December 29th. My concern is in order to get in the recommended 300 hours before he comes, I'll have to basically run it 24/7 until the day he comes. Is it ok to run the break in slides nonstop for the whole period?

Also, I know to turn off CATS and Motion Smoothing, but are there any other settings I should make a point to turn off/change? What are the best 3D settings? I know for the VT50, there was considerably less crosstalk by changing some settings.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Why worry about the settings? Chad B will fix you up. Just put it on THX Cinema until he gets there. Run your slides or full-screen content as long as you want to get your time in, and you're done!
Old 12-18-2013, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

Quote:

T
Plus, the ZT60 is bilingual, which will surely come in handy in Canada, n'est-ce pas? smile.gif Count me among those who believes in blending bars.

No bar blending for me.....

Is it the fabled unit to unit variance? biggrin.gif
Old 12-18-2013, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Better yet, i actually look to see if it blends, probably a few times every movie, and from my distance in a pitch black room i always find myself impressed with the zt. I kept reading how people kept noticing how good the blacks are even after several hundred hours, and i originally thought "ya whatever, ok". well, damn, they are that good.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Deleted...
Old 12-18-2013, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terebi View Post

Why worry about the settings? Chad B will fix you up. Just put it on THX Cinema until he gets there. Run your slides or full-screen content as long as you want to get your time in, and you're done!
My tv hasnt had a break in 340 hours.....lol. If it fails, its not worth having anyway. Ive had it running non stop since i got it. Although, the tv is never hot to the touch on the back. It definately would be, but i keep my apt 60-65 (i like it cold) and i have standing fan blowing on the tv, that i would normally have blowing on me in the summer. Heat is enemy of all electronics.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:22 PM

deleted
Old 12-18-2013, 01:25 PM

deleted

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv