AVS Forum banner
1M views 15K replies 796 participants last post by  fmalczewski 
#1 ·
Well mine is arriving in less than 30 hours and no one has started the thread so I figure I might as well go ahead and do it!

Welcome to the official owners thread for the Panasonic ZT60.

Lets see some pictures from the early owners and initial thoughts.

Reactions: Here2Learn
#3,481 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/3450#post_23825835

I know this has been brought up in past posts but I couldn't get a clear answer. My zt is past the initial break in period and I noticed the golf channel logo as well as the espn logo in the bottom right corner. Now the IR from the golf logo has almost disappeared but the espn logo is still there. I have ran that swipe creen thing for about 10 hrs and it's still present but faded mildly. This has been going on now for about 3 days. Is this permanent or shall it slowly fade. My guy at magnolia said it will go away but I am beginning to doubt him. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

That's difficult to answer absolutely.

With more time the images "may" go away but there are so many factors involved that will determine whether they dissolve completely, partially or not any more than they have to this point. Most importantly of course is how long you've left those channels on for at a time, whether or not you used the pixel orbiter which some folks believe does very little, if anything at all, to help with retention/burn in but any help it may possibly provide is better than none if you ask me. Whether or not you've used the screen wipe feature after prolonged viewing of those channels and/or if you regularly changed channels during commercial breaks or whatever to help avoid retention or burn in.

That damned ESPN logo stays on screen even during most commercial breaks. If you continue to watch those channels after noticing the retention you may be further adding to the possibility of permanent burn in.

My only experience with plasma prior to owning the ZT60 is two years with a VT30 but I never had any issues with burn in. I did see temporary image retention from time to time but whatever it was always went away over some time. Since it was my first plasma, I was extremely careful (and nervous) about what I watched and for how long at a time and I even had my girlfriend on high alert not to leave any channel on for too long without changing channels every so often during commercial breaks etc. Thankfully she never gave me a hard time about it and I think that helped me avoid any retention or burn in issues.

I'd say continue to run the screen wipe whenever you can but really, even watching regular full screen content as the previous post suggests (just not either of those channels for the time being) may be enough to help get rid of the images if it's not already too late.

This potential issue with retention and burn in plus occassional line bleed issues are my two main gripes with plasma technology. Unfortunately, by no fault of plasma, most damned TV channels these days feel the absolute need to have some kind of station identifier bug on screen at all times and frankly I think it's gotten to a ridiculous level. Some channels have shown a little flex at least and have made their respective bugs/logos translucent so that helps but they all should be mandated to follow suit.

Anyway, that's a long answer to a short and simple question and unfortunately there's no absolute answer for you but, I really hope the images dissipate for you one way or another.

Best of luck.

#3,483 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/3450#post_23825835

I know this has been brought up in past posts but I couldn't get a clear answer. My zt is past the initial break in period and I noticed the golf channel logo as well as the espn logo in the bottom right corner. Now the IR from the golf logo has almost disappeared but the espn logo is still there. I have ran that swipe creen thing for about 10 hrs and it's still present but faded mildly. This has been going on now for about 3 days. Is this permanent or shall it slowly fade. My guy at magnolia said it will go away but I am beginning to doubt him. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

I have found the "pixel flipper" on the Disney WOW disk works better than the screen wipe built into the TV.

A couple weeks ago I noticed image retention from the guide screen of my cable box. In the lower right corner the guide has bright white letters "TV" on a dark background. I don't notice retention watching normal content, but sometimes a commercial will have a solid white or yellow or green background and then I can make out "TV". The pixel flipper makes it go away after maybe an hour or two, but of course I am always reinforcing the IR since it is on the guide screen. Never owned a plasma before so I'm not sure if this will get worse or better as time goes by.

#3,486 ·
Nah, he's another bot skimming verbiage off page 1:
Quote:
Originally Posted by praktik  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread#post_23360270

Looking for the first Canadian to get one, please post here and retailer!

On a list but starting to really tire of the anticipation - maybe it was the fact I pre-arranged all my cabling yesterday putting in new and currently unused HDMIs, bundled all my soon-to-be-unnecessary cabling so when the ZT arrives it will be a very quick swap...

These are the kinds of things I am doing to fill up my time...

Sneaky fooks.

#3,489 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/3480#post_23828472

For some reason you get 10 as soon as you join.

Yeah, it is like kindergarten.

#3,490 ·
Hi again

I'm trying Sound and Vision settings but confused about something: The W/B Detail Adjust. they provide has a "Mid" and "High" but in the TV's menu there is a "Low" and "High". Are the Mid settings what I use for Low in the TV's menu?

A quirk I can't figure out: I have a LAN cable connected directly to the TV but when trying to change PQ settings on NetFlix they won't take. I can change them in the menu but the picture doesn't actually change and stays in default Standard. How do I change my settings with NetFlix and ethernet content?

I found the "Fan/Fridge" noise thread and don't seem to notice any of those problems. I can't hear fan noise and there are no lines/banding I read about on this thread. There is a very faint buzz only noticed for the first time running D'Nice's slides on white and it's really nothing (thought it would be much worse). I did notice some minimal DSE but it appears to be gradually fading with every hour running slides/watching content. Besides it's not visible on regular content like hockey. This is a damn good TV. I can honestly say IMO "perfect and flawless" TV

#3,491 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/3480#post_23828289

Nah, he's another bot skimming verbiage off page 1:

Sneaky fooks.

I know this is getting off topic, but I have to ask: what is the bot trying to accomplish? What is the point?

#3,492 ·
Watched the Great Gatsby last night. It looked incredible on the ZT.

#3,494 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost!  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/3480_40#post_23829105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/3480#post_23828472

For some reason you get 10 as soon as you join.

Yeah, it is like kindergarten.
Or Special Olympics - everyone gets a trophy!

#3,496 ·
An update on the faint vertical line on the far right side of my ZT’s screen and a question if anyone has had the same experience.

The very faint vertical line on the far right side of my ZT’s screen is still there. Thankfully, its only visible occasionally and only on certain content. Even when I do notice it, it’s very light and just barely visible but still noticeable nonetheless on specific content.

I’ve also noticed what looks like white streaks occasionally on that same side of the screen. I haven’t seen any pattern in regards to when they appear or if they appear with any certain type of content but when I do see them, they’ll be apparent for maybe 5-10 seconds and then they seem to go away. Anyone else seeing anything like that on their ZT?

I’ve never seen this before and have never had either issue with my VT30. Both issues aren’t visible 85-90 percent of the time that I’m watching the TV but do annoy me to a degree when I do happen to notice either or both of them.

I realize no set is perfect but I certainly expect better from a flagship (& expensive) product such as the ZT60. I contacted Panasonic and started a case a few weeks ago so that the issue is at least on record but I told the rep that I’d wait to see if it resolves itself over a little more time and usage.

It hasn’t (yet) so I contacted Panasonic again today just to see what my options are and the rep wanted me to reset the TV which would wipe out the professional calibration that I paid good money for. So, I’m going to wait a little more and see how things go. The rep said they will not reimburse me for the calibration and I already knew that’d be their answer but I asked anyway (never hurts). I’m not yet sure if it’s worth it to go further with service/repair or whatever considering I’d lose the pro calibration, the money I spent on it and given that both issues are only present and visible for such a small percentage of the time that I watch the set. Its a tough call for me.

On top of that, my ZT has started having the fan noise issue that so many others have described and on two of occasions in the last week I’ve even noticed horizontal scrolling lines scrolling up the screen.

When I first got my ZT home it was whisper quiet except for a very low level buzz during very bright scenes (very normal for plasma) and I had no audible fan noise until earlier this week. Out of nowhere, over the last week I started hearing the fans ramp up then quiet down, then ramp up then quite down over and over. This is in spite of the fact that my dealer told me he had a tech install the fan noise fix before I even picked it up.

None of these issues were present when I first got my ZT. No vertical band that I noticed and I even used a full 100% nominally white pattern from my Spears & Munsil disc to check uniformity, no fan noise and no white streaks. I’m really starting to wonder about my particular set.

For the most part and for so much of the time that I’ve used my set including right now watching football, it looks truly spectacular but when I notice either or all of the above issues it really takes away from the set’s performance for me. The self test feature is pretty useless I think, I would think it checks itself for faults etc. and maybe it does but the only thing that happens is a picture is displayed and music is played and as long as you see and hear them, the set seems to deem itself to be OK. Goofy.

Has anyone reset their ZT in an attempt to correct the vertical line issue? If so, did it help or correct the issue completely?

Thanks.

#3,497 ·
imo Its very unlikely a reset will get rid of that line. That is just a default answer from customer support when they have no idea what else to do.

But I think that if you write down all you pro cal settings and then plug them back in after the reset you will still get the same picture. If you replaced a board or the panel that would be different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.