Forum Jump: 

post #5851 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidawgz View Post

to those getting IR, are you using Vivid as your picture mode?

I am using THX Cinema, and I still experience image retention from playing games. I just passed 400 hours on the panel, and I think that IR is getting better though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckersvols View Post

I cant watch mine on Standard. Am I in the minority here? When I have it calibrated am I looking at it resembling closer to standard or Cinema? Which setting will probably match up closest to when you have it calibrated?

THX Cinema appeared to be the closest out-of-the-box mode to my pro. calibration. From what I was told, Standard mode is so they can meet energy savings standards. I don't think anyone actually watches on Standard (at least not on purpose).
post #5853 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 02:34 PM

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I would recommend you try checking the hours on them before taking the word of the employee. Based on the vast majority of owner accounts, they do diminish to nothing after 100+ hours.

Thanks. I plan on touring the local Best buy stores after the New Year, and I'll check the hours.

BTW, I listened to the fans behind the ZT and they didn't seem loud or obnoxious, though it's difficult to tell in that environment. I was checking out the reviews of the ZT on BestBuy.com, and 19% of the reviewers mentioned the fans, and 1/2 of those returned their sets.
post #5854 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

Quote:

Is it possible to turn the red light off when watching the tv? I remember hearing something about that a while back but couldnt figure it out myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

You can cover it. Some use black electrician's tape and others get special little paste ons that are designed for the job. They can block the red light completely or partially.

WHAT!? I remember hearing the red light could be turned off via an option in the menu! Wow....that is SUCH a buzzkill. Im surprised Panasonic did not add that option in. Really really surprised. Especially since this was the ultimate display for home theater use...weird
Actually it's my understanding that they took out that option for the 2013 models. eek.gif

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5855 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 88
ouch, you know the limitation of the Pixel Orbiter option in THX?

Need to find a Professional Calibrator?
me with your Display & City

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #5856 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 03:39 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

ouch, you know the limitation of the Pixel Orbiter option in THX?

It is non functional, correct?

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #5857 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fete26 View Post

Just got my ZT set up and I am loving every second. Now I am in the market for a new blu-ray player and need some help. My budget is $400. Does anyone have recommendations? What should I be looking for in a new player? Does anyone have DMP-BDT500 from Panasonic? Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated . Thanks.

Add $100 and get the Oppo 103 by far a superb player, and honestly I rarely by BD in it as I ripped all my BDs and every BD rental from Netflix to MKV and the Oppo can play them direct from my Windows file share. As an added benefit is is a universal player so it plays my DVD-A and SACD collection.
post #5858 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSweeper View Post

My previous ZT had vertical banding on the right side. It was the main reason that I exchanged it for another ZT. The replacement ZT does not have any banding, or at least, I can not see it, and I looked pretty hard. I saw a display ZT unit at local Best Buy, and it had the same banding issue as my original ZT. From my experience and reading comments in this thread, the banding seems like a common issue, but there are the ZTs that do not have the banding.

What's the difference between banding and DSE?
post #5859 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 04:44 PM

Liked: 12

How much can a good Blue Ray player increase the quality of a movie?

post #5860 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My previous ZT had vertical banding on the right side. It was the main reason that I exchanged it for another ZT. The replacement ZT does not have any banding, or at least, I can not see it, and I looked pretty hard. I saw a display ZT unit at local Best Buy, and it had the same banding issue as my original ZT. From my experience and reading comments in this thread, the banding seems like a common issue, but there are the ZTs that do not have the banding.

What's the difference between banding and DSE?

I believe that DSE and banding refer to essentially the same thing, which is uneven uniformity of a screen due to uneven application of the screen filter.
post #5861 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:

How much can a good Blue Ray player increase the quality of a movie?
Not much, but the quality of the display and it's calibration can make a big difference. A Blu-ray player, playing a 1080p movie, has very little to do that would degrade the quality of the image on the shiny disk.

Calibration Resources:

post #5862 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:

I believe that DSE and banding refer to essentially the same thing, which is uneven uniformity of a screen due to uneven application of the screen filter.
As I understand it banding is discoloration in strips whereas the dirty screen effect is more of a splotchy look.

post #5863 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies on the IR. I don't think retraining my wife and 2 year old will work with me. I'm out of HDMI ports and have cable box feeding into the xbox one and that is already causing frustration in the household. I'll just have to stick with my Kuro 50" and cross my fingers that LED's somehow improve in the next several years as some of the announcements on the OLED front don't sound encouraging (such as Panasonic and Sony ending their OLED JV).
post #5864 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

Quote:

As I understand it banding is discoloration in strips whereas the dirty screen effect is more of a splotchy look.

Yeah, this is my understanding as well.
post #5865 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

I have banding then on my zt60. Several thin long vertical faint bars. What should I do?
post #5866 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 06:00 PM

I will say that since I have had my zt65 inch I am blown away by blue ray movies on it. I have watched both Star Treks, Batman series, Django and Pacific Rim since Saturday. 9 ft away feels like I am in a movie theatre. I had no idea it would be this good and that is before calibration.

post #5867 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
that isn't banding...this is...and while the display may show it, it is usually inherent in the source. DSE and banding are not the same.

this is banding:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colour_banding

this is screen door

SDE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silk_screen_effect

this is digital screen effect

DSE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen-door_effect
post #5868 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

that isn't banding...this is...and while the display may show it, it is usually inherent in the source. DSE and banding are not the same.

this is banding:

this is screen door

The DSE we refer to is Dirty Screen Effect.......Not digital screen effect. Never heard of it tbh I have heard of screen door effect with LCD projectors
post #5869 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

this is banding:

this is screen door

Oh and it isn't inherent in the soure. It's the panel. I see it on my 1920 x 1080 break in slides. HD tv and reference quality blu rays. Basically I see it on horizontal pans with any source material especially the screen wipe feature I can see it the most on that
post #5870 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:

this is banding:

this is screen door

I believe that DSE refers to dirty screen effect. Banding is often happens as a vertical stripe on the right side of ZT screen, but I guess that it can be present on other areas of the screen too. As with the dirty screen effect, the banding stripe appears darker when lighter colors are displayed on the screen. The banding stripe and DSE happen because the panel filter is not applied uniformly. Hence, they are essentially the same thing in the context of this disscussion. I do not know if the banding is a proper term though, but it has been used throughout this thread to describe a common issue with ZTs (a faintly darker stripe(s), which often occurs as a vertical stripe on the right side of the screen).
post #5871 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I believe that DSE refers to dirty screen effect. Banding is often happens as a vertical stripe on the right side of ZT screen, but I guess that it can be present on other areas of the screen too. As with the dirty screen effect, the banding stripe appears darker when lighter colors are displayed on the screen. The banding stripe and DSE happen because the panel filter is not applied uniformly. Hence, they are essentially the same thing in the context of this disscussion. I do not know if the banding is a proper term though, but it has been used throughout this thread to describe a common issue with ZTs (a faintly darker stripe(s), which often occurs as a vertical stripe on the right side of the screen).

It's not the filter. I have a Samsung 43D450 plasma a very budget level tv with just basic features and no filter and it has severe DSE I can spot easily with horizontal pans.

I know there is no filter because the screen is like a mirror it reflects EVERYTHING lol
post #5872 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

It is non functional, correct?

Yes, the orbiter does not work in the THX modes.

From what I can tell, the only thing the orbiter really does is smear things out a little. I still see the IR, its just not as defined as the object that left it. At best it can maybe mask the IR where it appears as dark smudges on the screen. If the object that left it was small enough, it can even be misinterpreted as a form of DSE.
post #5873 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 07:19 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_A/V View Post

................ I ran D-Nice's slides for the first ~200 hour....s

I do not recommend doing this on today's Plasma TVs. Too muck tourture unless you cool down the pixels in the panel.. IMHO
post #5874 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by besthdef View Post

I do not recommend doing this on today's Plasma TVs. Too muck tourture unless you cool down the pixels in the panel.. IMHO
No different than having the panel on all day. I think it's a good torture test actually. It's the power cycles that are the most damaging over time in any case.
post #5875 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:

I have banding then on my zt60. Several thin long vertical faint bars. What should I do?
Are they on the side of the screen perchance or all across it? I assume this isn't the infamous right-hand band that has shown to fade after the first 100 hours (at least in earlier production runs).
post #5876 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:

I will say that since I have had my zt65 inch I am blown away by blue ray movies on it. I have watched both Star Treks, Batman series, Django and Pacific Rim since Saturday. 9 ft away feels like I am in a movie theatre. I had no idea it would be this good and that is before calibration.
I know what you mean. The Wolverine blew me away this evening.
post #5877 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Priestley View Post

Thanks for the replies on the IR. I don't think retraining my wife and 2 year old will work with me. I'm out of HDMI ports and have cable box feeding into the xbox one and that is already causing frustration in the household. I'll just have to stick with my Kuro 50" and cross my fingers that LED's somehow improve in the next several years as some of the announcements on the OLED front don't sound encouraging (such as Panasonic and Sony ending their OLED JV).

I know this is probably not the proper place for this, but have you considered the Samsung F8500? I can almost guarantee these do not have the same issues with the long duration IR that Panasonics have. I myself have not been keeping up with what other issues those sets have though, perhaps there are other things with those sets that make them even less desirable. Like I said, I do regret getting my VT60 due to the IR issues and sometimes wish I had gotten the F8500, but if I did I could be dealing with a whole host of other issues.
post #5878 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Priestley View Post

What issues is causing the Xboxone frustration in your household? My wife loves it and does not play games. She just likes not having to use the remote and I like her not touching the remote also. The remote now doesnt appear in random rooms in my house.

post #5879 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Are they on the side of the screen perchance or all across it? I assume this isn't the infamous right-hand band that has shown to fade after the first 100 hours (at least in earlier production runs).

On a white slide I see thin vertical lines across the entire screen. It's as if the glass was on a roller conveyor and the rollers left an imprint after it was picked up
post #5880 of 12778 Old 12-31-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:

On a white slide I see thin vertical lines across the entire screen. It's as if the glass was on a roller conveyor and the rollers left an imprint after it was picked up
I see this very faintly, too, but it comes across as DSE more than anything else due to that faintness. It must be related to the manufacturing process.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page