Forum Jump: 

post #5941 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg T View Post

Does anyone know if the ZT60 allows you to set it up on a second IR code via it's service menus? I have RF remotes throught my house and our bedroom TV is a Panasonic TV. So turning that TV on and off would turn the ZT60 on and off. I haven't gotten the ZT60 yet.

You won't have any problems at all. Since both TV's work off I/R and not RF.

Every day above ground is a good day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5942 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60285 View Post

Kluken is absolutely correct. Also the cool thing with monoprice is that you can chat with someone directly if you wish and they will dial you in to what you need in no time. I've been doing business with them for years and they're very knowledgeable and helpful. Another thing every bit as important: They won't go after you with the most expensive item possible, but with what actually will work for you. I ordered a tilting wall mount for my ZT. I'll never have a problem with it, and it was SO much less expensive than any like item in the brick and mortar stores.

I bought this mount from monoprice for my 65in. It spans three studs, which I like a lot. I also bought the new RedMere HDMI's for the ZT. They don't arrive till Tuesday and it will be the following weekend before I can mount it. http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082801&p_id=6663&seq=1&format=2

post #5943 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwall1313 View Post

I bought this mount from monoprice for my 65in. It spans three studs, which I like a lot. I also bought the new RedMere HDMI's for the ZT. They don't arrive till Tuesday and it will be the following weekend before I can mount it. http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082801&p_id=6663&seq=1&format=2
I mounted my old plasma on a mount like that. Although I would have preferred the flexibility offered by a telescoping mount I'm of the opinion that the fewer moving pieces the better.

I just bought the g/f an Xbox 360 for Christmas and used a Redmere cable for the first time hooking it up. They're soooo thin & easy to work with. It makes the Blue Jeans Cable Belden Series-1 I have going from my AVR to the ZT look like a freaking fire hose.

post #5944 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

You're right that the Samsung did not show image retention in the CNET test but the Panasonic VT's IR faded after a while (meaning it wasn't burned-in). Experience with the GT was less conclusive due to further sanfu on CNET's part.
I haven't seen anyone say the ZT "blows" the Kuro away. I've heard it said by many that the two sets have virtually identical performance and that if the ZT did one thing marginally better than the Kuro it would be in rendering better shadow detail. Former Kuro owners have said that the two units are about the same in all respects regarding picture quality and that the only reason you should upgrade is if you're interested in the new features of the ZT (i.e. 3D) or if you want the 65" version.

Perhaps blows away was the wrong choice of words. Some of the reviews I have seen were very clear about the ZT being noticeably better on the shadow detail front. And those same reviews going so far as to say "where the Kuro almost tends to crush greys to black". I was looking right now for which reviews these were (between the UK and US reviews, I read almost all of them) but can not find which ones they were right now.

Ultimately, all the "lip service" to either one doesn't really matter all that much, as I'll be able to compare both. And barring some major problem with the Kuro due to its age or something, if what you say is true, AND its significantly more resistant to IR, it's the one I am going to keep. Plain as that. In other words if the Kuro demonstrates resistance to IR at least as good as the Samsungs, and has a *passable* shadow detail performance even, it would be the winner in my opinion.

As for the burn in thing, it's a cumulative effect. So while it might go away after an accident like that, imagine watching the same networks for months and months, you turn a corner at SOME point where "retention" or "persistence" becomes just plain burn in, or at least to where it's very difficult to remove. Good example of this is the "Panasonic" logo on the ST displays at Best Buy. The word Panasonic is BARELY on the screen at all during the presentation and yet it was clearly retained on the display ST. You could argue it as an extreme use case, but I don't think it's any less than my TV being on all the time and those network logos always being there. The thing with the Samsungs was that watching other content for a few hours was enough to "wipe" any previous evidence from earlier being on all day. I could switch to a couple of hours of my podcasts, for example, and by the end any retention from the logos (which would be minimal) was undetectable.

The only other downside to the Kuro is an irrelevant one to most anyone else, and that is weight. I think the ZT weighs all of 90lb even with its stand attached. It's serious work, but I can muster it up to my tall stand on my own and move it around the house with care. There's no doubt I'll need a helper with the Kuro, and since I'm relatively mobile, I'm going to need a helper EVERY single time I need to move it around. Of course, after seeing the photo of the VT60s internals floating around on here, it's obvious the internal quality and construction level of the two sets is just from different eras. So that's really a positive (much like my 70lb Elite receiver from 2002).
post #5945 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had a VT50 that I had no image retention issues with and I have not noticed any difference with image retention on this set. After watching a station for a few hours, I do notice the logo on a plain background but it fades quickly in under a minute. I also consider the panel buzz normal for a plasma of this size and not noticeable during normal content. I did, however, notice there was crosstalk on 3d content. I changed the 3d rate from 120 to 96 and it cleared right up. I remember something very similar with the VT50 as well.
post #5946 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 08:54 AM

cwall.....Congratulations and welcome to the club!! I'm sure you will be more than happy with your purchase. I'm glad to see you got the accessories. You'll be fine with those. Monoprice has high quality items....splurged a little with the Redmere's but still crazy cheap compared to anything you'd find in your local National Chain Store. You ought to love what you just did.....:biggrin.gif
post #5947 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlore View Post

it fades quickly in under a minute.

Wow. That has not at all been my experience on either the VT or ZT I had. Not saying you're observation isn't correct. But I could watch something else for hours and still not have the previous hours' worth of logo impression go away. In fact, I would end up at a point where I had a mish-mash of "HGTV" and the Velocity "V" mashed together after a while. If I then used the zoom mode for at least another 12-15 hours it would all eventually disappear. But certainly not minutes. And this was two different sized panels (55 and 60) and two different series that exhibited identical behavior in THX mode (I wasn't blasting them in torch mode or anything). The only thing I can not say for certain is whether both were over 100 hours. I know the VT certainly was, and the ZT had to have been very close if not over.

The only other thing on the ZT side that has me a little concerned is a quick blurb I caught as I was scrolling through (where someone had posted that internal shot of a VT) where someone was saying that some people are getting some kind of "vertical lines" at the far left edge of the panel where some circuits were visible on the VT. How common is that?
post #5948 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 09:08 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post

Wow. That has not at all been my experience on either the VT or ZT I had. Not saying you're observation isn't correct. But I could watch something else for hours and still not have the previous hours' worth of logo impression go away. In fact, I would end up at a point where I had a mish-mash of "HGTV" and the Velocity "V" mashed together after a while. If I then used the zoom mode for at least another 12-15 hours it would all eventually disappear. But certainly not minutes. And this was two different sized panels (55 and 60) and two different series that exhibited identical behavior in THX mode (I wasn't blasting them in torch mode or anything). The only thing I can not say for certain is whether both were over 100 hours. I know the VT certainly was, and the ZT had to have been very close if not over.

I have no doubt that is true for some people. It seems there can be a lot of variance in plasma panels, at least by Panasonic. When Chad B calibrated my display, the color square in the center of the screen was up there for the whole 4 hours and once he put up a picture to check his calibration I could literally watch it completely fade. For what it's worth, I had ran the slides for about 310 hours so I'm sure aging the panel didn't hurt either.
post #5949 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Well, Gentlemen, I'm all in. Bought my 65ZT60 yesterday from Best Buy with a delivery date of this Saturday. I'll report back on build date and serial number when it arrives. The Magnolia manager that I dealt with, which couldn't have been nicer, did say that they just got the one i bought in recently, so assuming that means a later build date since he says they've sold a fair amount of the ZT's. He literally pulled up the sales data from December and showed me that they had sold 14 that month.
Not to be a buzz kill, but I just got my 60ZT60 delivered on 12/23 from BB fresh from their stock... May Build... BUT my fans are pretty quiet and I appear to have no dead pixels, good uniformity etc very stoked!... I still may get the fan fix installed. Lets us know how it goes. I am about done with the 100 hrs prep and about to move to mixed content phase.

Also as I liked my MA guys, they also seemed "oblivious/down played" to the list of issues...although as soon as I mentioned the panel prep slides he knew exactly what I was talking about. So I think they know about them but really don't like to acknowledge them but when pressed they will. I think that's OK because a lot of folks who normally would not notice.. will go looking for them. I bought the full protection plan.. so I am not really worried.

Good luck!

Long Live The Gorn!
post #5950 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60285 View Post

cwall.....Congratulations and welcome to the club!! I'm sure you will be more than happy with your purchase. I'm glad to see you got the accessories. You'll be fine with those. Monoprice has high quality items....splurged a little with the Redmere's but still crazy cheap compared to anything you'd find in your local National Chain Store. You ought to love what you just did.....:biggrin.gif

Thanks! I've had nothing but great experiences with monoprice. Haven't stopped talking about the tv since I bought it. My wife is already over it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvader View Post

Not to be a buzz kill, but I just got my 60ZT60 delivered on 12/23 from BB fresh from their stock... May Build... BUT my fans are pretty quiet and I appear to have no dead pixels, good uniformity etc very stoked!... I still may get the fan fix installed. Lets us know how it goes. I am about done with the 100 hrs prep and about to move to mixed content phase.

Also as I liked my MA guys, they also seemed "oblivious/down played" to the list of issues...although as soon as I mentioned the panel prep slides he knew exactly what I was talking about. So I think they know about them but really don't like to acknowledge them but when pressed they will. I think that's OK because a lot of folks who normally would not notice.. will go looking for them. I bought the full protection plan.. so I am not really worried.

Good luck!

Which could be my case, too. We all know what assuming gets us. I did not go with the protection plan. It's the first time I haven't purchased a warranty on a major buy but thought I'd live dangerously this time! hahaha. Will let you know on Saturday what the build date is.

post #5951 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 09:44 AM

For the break-in slides, is there a preference to the Evangelo slides or the D-Nice slides? Thanks.

post #5952 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Priestley View Post

Since you are a seller of both panasonic and samsung and back in the day when I bought a pio (I believe you were an authorized dealer) can you at all compare and contrast IR between the units? I've always been of the stance that IR and burn-in were a bit exaggerated and most people didn't realize the benefits of plasma and somehow overlooked many of the flaws of LCD/LED. I mean we're already getting reports that some of the OLED in torch mode are getting IR or even burn-in. And perhaps some people are just more prone to seeing it like DLP people and rainbows?
I can only speak about client feedback, if memory serves me right we have "0" complaints about IR on the Panasonic or Samsung of this year's models.
Quote:

The problems you see talked about on forums like this are not a representative sample of the general population. Additionally, complaints tend to be repeated, making the problem appear more prevalent than it is. Persistent IR is a problem for some but not for others. I get it temporarily on my unit after prolonged use but so far it's doing better than my old Samsung plasma so I'm not complaining. Not yet anyway.
Exactly, just because you see it all the time, 1 to 2% of the population buying TV's actually post on forums I would bet. Then of course as noted, people repeat there issues.........
post #5953 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Eureka!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terebi View Post

"Eureka" means "I found it", so does that mean you just discovered you ended up with his old TV?

smile.gif

Hello,
The story is somewhat stranger than fiction. Around 9 months ago I shuttered my family's beach house in SW Florida. Due to a strange scheduling quirk I was in Scotland when the movers came which has turned out to be an unmitigated disaster. In spite of spending an insane amount of time speaking to them from there. At last count my Martin Logan Vantages have cabinet damage, the aforementioned missing LCD, and things like my BDI Deploy Max stand missing some of the hardware.

I foolishly did not look at the manifest too closely when my HT and such were placed in climate controlled storage as the instructions could not be clearer and my home build encountered delays. Regardless, swapping a Sony 55EX500 for a 60GT50 as a bedroom TV is not all bad. My ZT does have the seemingly dreaded June 2013 build date. However, the fan noise does not seem audible.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #5954 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
^The May build date is even more dreaded. biggrin.gif
post #5955 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

This BB had the VT60 positioned directly above the ZT65 with the same movie playing, Fast and Furious 6. I can't say that I saw a tremendous difference in the picture, had him put both on THX Cinema, but the reflection difference was very pronounced. They had overhead lights aimed at both tv's. The VT reflected the lights severely while you had to look for them in the ZT. My buddy who was with me even commented on it before I told him about the filter.

Yeah we just hosted a New Years Eve party and had all 7 ceiling can lights on (not our typical lighting conditions). Two of them are right over and in front of our ZT. They did nothing to the blacks. Stayed inky. Picture looked great. No reflections. That filter is great, the only problem is lights on the same level as the TV, like a lamp or window. Not sure how any filter could handle that though.

On a side note, I'm extremely relieved that party is over. Sixteen kids running around, plus their parents. Everyone playing Just Dance 2014 swinging Wii remotes around. Happy to report my ZT survived without incident. Kind of a nail biter for me though.

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control
post #5956 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 10:42 AM

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Exactly, just because you see it all the time, 1 to 2% of the population buying TV's actually post on forums I would bet.

We don't really know what the other 98% of the buyers see, or what their thought processes are. As an extreme example, I once spent time at my brother-in-law's house, and his cheap 19" TV had all the controls maxed. Color, tint, contrast, sharpness - all were so strong that color was bleeding off faces and the picture was unwatchable. I spent about an hour with the controls trying to get a perfect picture, and I managed to get it looking pretty decent. The next morning, all the controls were set at max again. Go figure. Then there's the Best Buy salesman who never noticed the strong vertical band on the ZT and the VT right above it. Maybe people who post here are simply more observant than the rest.
post #5957 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

I can only speak about client feedback, if memory serves me right we have "0" complaints about IR on the Panasonic or Samsung of this year's models.
Exactly, just because you see it all the time, 1 to 2% of the population buying TV's actually post on forums I would bet. Then of course as noted, people repeat there issues.........
Exactly. Out of the few that post here, thier seems to be a percentage of people claiming about bad IR to make me reconsider that gaming session i might have with my freinds. I have 2 zts, on seems to do slightly better then the other as far as IR goes. Ive had several recent panny plasmas that have had better IR handling, and i think my gt25 had it worse then the zt. That set ran hot as hell.
post #5958 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 12:10 PM

I have my ZT60 connected (HDMI input 2) to a Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000 receiver.
I set my ZT60 audio to Home Theater (via the app) so the TV speakers are off and the TV remote control volume buttons control the volume of the receiver (via the HDMI CEC a.k.a. Viera Link)
I've got an issue though - if for whatever reason while the TV the receiver is turned off it resets the setting and turns on the internal speakers again.
And even if I turn on the receiver after that the TV remains in the internal speakers mode and I have to go in the settings and switch it back to home theater every time. This is annoying.
I never had this issue with the VT25 which the ZT60 replaced.
Any idea how to solve this so the TV never auto resets the home theater audio setting?

post #5959 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmalei View Post

I have my ZT60 connected to a Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000 receiver.
I set my ZT60 audio to Home Theater (via the app) so the TV speakers are off and the TV remote control volume buttons control the volume of the receiver (via the HDMI CEC a.k.a. Viera Link)
I've got an issue though - if for whatever reason the TV is on while the receiver is off it resets the setting and turns on the internal speakers again.
And even if I turn on the receiver after that the TV remains in the internal speakers mode and I have to go in the settings and switch it back to home theater every time. This is annoying.
I never had this issue with the VT25 which the ZT60 replaced.
Any idea how to solve this so the TV never auto resets the home theater audio setting?

Try this: Menu/Settings/Viera Link/Off

post #5960 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:

Try this: Menu/Settings/Viera Link/Off

Isn't this going to turn off HDMI CEC entirely off?
I want HDMI CEC - so I can auto turn on/off all the players and receiver when I turn on/off the TV, control receiver volume and navigate blu ray player menus with the TV remote control, auto select the proper receiver input when I put disk in the blu ray player, etc. All this works great.
I just do not want the TV to auto switch to internal speakers (auto forget the receiver) ever.
Currently once the TV auto switches to internal speakers, it forgets about the receiver and from then on turning on the TV doesn't turn the receiver on until I go in the viera app and manually set it to home theater again.
post #5961 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 01:11 PM

Liked: 17

Just hit 500 hours and am very impressed with the display.

Only IR issue Ive had was falling asleep while redzone was on...all day. It all went away rather quickly.

Color and black levels still have me in awe.

On a long enough time line the survival rate for everyone drops to zero

Panasonic 60ZT60

Marantz 6007 (as a pre/pro)

Emotiva XPA-5 gen 2

Axiom M22, M2, SVS PB12NSDx2 Definitive Technology Mythos 3

PS3

Xfinity X2 (beta)

post #5962 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^The May build date is even more dreaded. biggrin.gif

THaaaanks...... you may not be forgiven for that wink.gif

Long Live The Gorn!
post #5963 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
I should know, I have one (bought in June, from Best Buy)...though there is no more cause for concern than June in all honesty. I'm just being a bit dramatic.
post #5964 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
OK, the 65ZT60 just made it few minutes ago.

Purchased from Amazon on 12/22/13 for $2799.98
Delivered 01/02/14
July 2013 build
So far, I cannot see or hear anything out of the ordinary. Will update if that changes.

D-Nice slides running.
post #5965 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmalei View Post

Isn't this going to turn off HDMI CEC entirely off?
I want HDMI CEC - so I can auto turn on/off all the players and receiver when I turn on/off the TV, control receiver volume and navigate blu ray player menus with the TV remote control, auto select the proper receiver input when I put disk in the blu ray player, etc. All this works great.
I just do not want the TV to auto switch to internal speakers (auto forget the receiver) ever.
Currently once the TV auto switches to internal speakers, it forgets about the receiver and from then on turning on the TV doesn't turn the receiver on until I go in the viera app and manually set it to home theater again.
Ah, yes. Sorry, I didn't realize you wanted to use Viera Link. In that case you may have some trouble. I could never get ARC to work correctly, experiencing difficulties similar to what you're going through, so I ended up just turning it off. Sorry I couldn't help. Good luck.

post #5966 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 02:54 PM

Ok, so I was hoping you all might have some suggestions. I just got my panel calibrated professionally and I am not all that impressed. This has been somewhat disappointing considering how much I spent. Movies already looked amazing and I understand that my local Time Warner which broadcasts I'm 1080i is pretty much a lost cause. The one thing I was hoping would benefit the most was my ps4. After calibration I felt the image looked a bit washed out and I didn't notice any real perceptible difference. When I got my DLP calibrated the difference was huge and I guess I was expecting the same. The only thing I've figured out doing was changing the gamma from 2.2 to 2.4 during gaming as that seemed get things a bit better. Does anyone else have any experience with the PS4 and how to get it looking its best on this panel. The calibrator changed the color temp to warm 1, gamma to 2.2, and many other settings which go against all the original settings I first read about in this thread. I also use game mode every time I play. Thanks everyone
post #5967 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 03:23 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by weds31 View Post

Ok, so I was hoping you all might have some suggestions. I just got my panel calibrated professionally and I am not all that impressed. This has been somewhat disappointing considering how much I spent. Movies already looked amazing and I understand that my local Time Warner which broadcasts I'm 1080i is pretty much a lost cause. The one thing I was hoping would benefit the most was my ps4. After calibration I felt the image looked a bit washed out and I didn't notice any real perceptible difference. When I got my DLP calibrated the difference was huge and I guess I was expecting the same. The only thing I've figured out doing was changing the gamma from 2.2 to 2.4 during gaming as that seemed get things a bit better. Does anyone else have any experience with the PS4 and how to get it looking its best on this panel. The calibrator changed the color temp to warm 1, gamma to 2.2, and many other settings which go against all the original settings I first read about in this thread. I also use game mode every time I play. Thanks everyone

I think one of the things that people need to understand about calibration is that you can't take into account every device that the display will be connected to. For the most part, calibration is to replicate as closely as possible the intent of the director and director of photography of the original source material (mainly film). Was the PS4 one of the devices used for the calibration?

Eric

My Stuff: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 w/  Ideal-Lume Bias Lighting, Yamaha RX-V3800, Oppo BDP-103D

post #5968 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Who did the calibration?
post #5969 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 04:06 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:

Have you discussed your concerns with the calibrator? That would be my first suggestion. You should also have received some kind of calibration report showing before/after.
post #5970 of 12255 Old 01-02-2014, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

Who did your cal?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page