post #6121 of 13010 Old 01-05-2014, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxion View Post

Maybe not in thx bright room, but with a calibration yes. Whether its your own or a pros. Everyone seems to have bright room green, even both my zts.

After a while you begin to not notice the green push on the faces....I think my eyes just got use to it and it was fine...for bright room watching only.

I find TXH bright room sufficient when all the lights are on in my room though I dont think it would suffice with sun light during the day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6122 of 13010 Old 01-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

Watched a few hours of tv today using THX bright mode and I just want to say the green push is HEAVILY evident on faces.

Whats up with this? Can it be fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Yes, with calibration.

thx bright room can have the green calibrated out? I thought thx picture settings were untouchable
post #6123 of 13010 Old 01-05-2014, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

thx bright room can have the green calibrated out? I thought thx picture settings were untouchable
Thats not what he meant. A calibration will get rid of the green in the pro modes, while getting you even better picture quality then thx. The only thing you can change for getting rid of green in bright room is tint and maybe contrast.
post #6124 of 13010 Old 01-05-2014, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

After a while you begin to not notice the green push on the faces....I think my eyes just got use to it and it was fine...for bright room watching only.

I find TXH bright room sufficient when all the lights are on in my room though I dont think it would suffice with sun light during the day
The green im experiencing and im sure others are, literally make people look like the hulk. Yours must not be that bad, thats something i could never get used to. Id rather get used to having hemorrhoids then watching all that green.
post #6125 of 13010 Old 01-05-2014, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Ordered a 65ZT60 Today and should be getting a hold of it mid week. Can't wait to rewatch every one of my favorite movies smile.gif

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60, Samsung 60F5300
post #6126 of 13010 Old 01-05-2014, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought even THX modes could be recalibrated. Perhaps it requires service menu access to fully adjust it, but the green is very hideous on my set in Bright Room as well.
post #6127 of 13010 Old 01-05-2014, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Finally got my ZT-60 delivered. October build, 0 hours on the panel. I am not doing D-Nice's slides, I am not using his settings and may or may not get calibration later, after 300 hours. This isn't my first ZT and I am doing things differently this time around. I really don't see the benefit of going through that process this time. Truth is that I absolutely love THX Cinema and I have a very dark room during the day already. Love it.

Check our Black Hawk Down after 100 hours.

Sonyboy likes this.
post #6128 of 13010 Old 01-05-2014, 08:54 PM

My pictures are just on an iPhone, no stand, no fancy stuff. I love this TV so much.

post #6129 of 13010 Old 01-05-2014, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilodan View Post

Finally got my ZT-60 delivered. October build, 0 hours on the panel. I am not doing D-Nice's slides, I am not using his settings and may or may not get calibration later, after 300 hours. This isn't my first ZT and I am doing things differently this time around. I really don't see the benefit of going through that process this time. Truth is that I absolutely love THX Cinema and I have a very dark room during the day already. Love it.

Nice pics! What happened with your first ZT and where did you order from?
post #6130 of 13010 Old 01-05-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilodan View Post

I thought THX Cinema was beyond acceptable as well. First set I didn't have to do a damn thing to right out of the box.

The only other one that would fit that criteria is the Kuro I've been playing with the past couple of days smile.gif

I fully understand the value of getting every last degree of picture quality out of your investment, but I actually view it a little differently, in that a set that can perform at 90-95 percent out of the box is an astonishing feat.

By contrast the Sharp Elite LCD I had the last couple of weeks has a lot of potential, but the out of the box settings are just awful. Without a pro calibration (or fiddling around with other user's settings to achieve at least a respectable picture), you're missing a LOT of your potential on the Sharp.
post #6131 of 13010 Old 01-05-2014, 09:00 PM

Sold it to a friend in Brazil where these things can go for $10,000!!

Got this at Best Buy for $2,799. It's a 65", same as Amazon had it when I got it.
post #6132 of 13010 Old 01-05-2014, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought even THX modes could be recalibrated. Perhaps it requires service menu access to fully adjust it, but the green is very hideous on my set in Bright Room as well.

That would be cool if THX bright room could be calibrated. I would definately use that mode for when all the lights are on and maybe even during movie playback because of its brightness.

I do see the green push on the picture mode. Its actually very evident tbh. I just forget about it over time and dont notice it sometimes. Its live-able for the moment....but I do know later on I will want to get it adjusted so yea

Oh yea I only really spot it on faces. I cant seem to pick it out on other content like sports games
post #6133 of 13010 Old 01-06-2014, 06:54 AM

Liked: 17

First, my 60" will be delivered in the next day or two.  How do I find out it's build date and why is it a significant factor? Also, I noticed the same green tint to everyone's faces while viewing the display model VT and ZT at the local BB and commented on it to the Magnolia guy.  Both sets were in THX mode.  He just said he hadn't had time to fiddle with the adjustments, but that he'd look into it and get back to me.

post #6134 of 13010 Old 01-06-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekarita View Post

First, my 60" will be delivered in the next day or two.  How do I find out it's build date and why is it a significant factor? Also, I noticed the same green tint to everyone's faces while viewing the display model VT and ZT at the local BB and commented on it to the Magnolia guy.  Both sets were in THX mode.  He just said he hadn't had time to fiddle with the adjustments, but that he'd look into it and get back to me.

I never noticed the green tint thing when I had my ZT60, so I sure as hell hope you guys didn't ruin it all for me when they bring it back, hopefully later today. This is one thing I hate about the mixed blessing of forums. One person notices something then mentions it and then the rest of us start proactively LOOKING for the problem unless it's something very obvious. Grr.

Anyway, I digress. Build date is right on the back panel, month and year. No need to go find it anywhere. The importance of the build date more so than anything is to abate fan noise, because sets built on or after August of 2013 will have had the fan noise "fix" implemented, which is a layer of insulation foam that is added. For sets built before that month, you will need to have a service rep come in and implement it separately, if you hear the noise at all.
post #6135 of 13010 Old 01-06-2014, 08:41 AM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post

I never noticed the green tint thing when I had my ZT60, so I sure as hell hope you guys didn't ruin it all for me when they bring it back, hopefully later today. This is one thing I hate about the mixed blessing of forums. One person notices something then mentions it and then the rest of us start proactively LOOKING for the problem unless it's something very obvious. Grr...

FWIW, I noticed it in the store prior to people reporting about it in this thread, when shopping for my ZT. I notice it not so much as a "grass-green" as much as its a "pale white with a greenish tint"...not a "green push", like with my Panny 700U, where I had to lower the "GrnDRV" value because grass/trees were "too green", but more like "information is missing from the feed to properly display the person's image"....people kinda look like "ghosts". This is with my Dish Network feed...don't notice it as much (don't really use that mode) w/BluRays on my PS3.
post #6136 of 13010 Old 01-06-2014, 09:07 AM

It is only really striking to me in THX Bright Room...I suppose there might be a subtle push in regular THX mode, but so minuscule as to not really register as a complaint.
post #6137 of 13010 Old 01-06-2014, 09:15 AM

Liked: 46
The ZT60 and VT60 have best-in-class color accuracy. When I emailed a calibrator in 2012 about calibrating my VT50, he indicated in response to a question that, yes, THX modes can be calibrated. There really isn't any need to live with excessive green in THX bright room mode.
post #6138 of 13010 Old 01-06-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Yes there are some settings you can change in THX but you don't have access to as many settings as you do in other modes. Regardless, the simplest solution is to use THX Cinema or someone else's settings in Custom or Pro mode.

post #6139 of 13010 Old 01-06-2014, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Tomorrow's weather for delivery is going to be 16 degrees outside and I am very worried about the tv being turned in by the delivery drivers after they hook it up. How long should I wait before I turn in the display? What defects should I look for before turning the screen on while the delivery team is still here. I remember reading about using a flashlight to look for certain defects but I can't seem to find that post. This will be my 4th tv in 2 months and I want to make sure this one is my last. If I don't turn on the panel when the delivery team is here and I do it later and the panel is defective or has a crack in the screen, the company is going to be very apprehensive about returning it.

Anyone have any best practices on what to look for, how to detect defects and how long I should wait for the tv to warm up after delivery? This is the last chance for me with plasma, if I get another loud buzzing tv or a tv with a defect I'm going with a 4k led and am not looking back even though my PQ and black levels will be much worse.
post #6140 of 13010 Old 01-06-2014, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Look it over with a bright flashlight.
post #6141 of 13010 Old 01-06-2014, 12:13 PM

Liked: 37
Quote:

I was able to calibrate THX mode on my last Panasonic set. Haven't tried it on this one because my meter has not been calibrated in a couple years. You just have to use the service menu. Unless they changed something on this model.

I can't tell you if the green is out of wack on mine because I am Red/Green colourblind. The Blue looks great though!

I'm going to have mine calibrated in late February by Michael Chen if he can fit me in to his tour.
post #6142 of 13010 Old 01-06-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inseconds99 View Post

Tomorrow's weather for delivery is going to be 16 degrees outside and I am very worried about the tv being turned in by the delivery drivers after they hook it up. How long should I wait before I turn in the display? What defects should I look for before turning the screen on while the delivery team is still here. I remember reading about using a flashlight to look for certain defects but I can't seem to find that post. This will be my 4th tv in 2 months and I want to make sure this one is my last. If I don't turn on the panel when the delivery team is here and I do it later and the panel is defective or has a crack in the screen, the company is going to be very apprehensive about returning it.

Anyone have any best practices on what to look for, how to detect defects and how long I should wait for the tv to warm up after delivery? This is the last chance for me with plasma, if I get another loud buzzing tv or a tv with a defect I'm going with a 4k led and am not looking back even though my PQ and black levels will be much worse.

1 . If it's that cold, you'll want to wait until the unit warms up to room temperature with the box top off. I'd give it a day, myself. [This is to allow for condensation to evaporate].
2. Take a flash light and looking from the side, shine the light across the screen to see if you can notice micro-fractures on the internal glass structure. You won't be able to see it if you're looking at the screen straight on (this is very rare)
3. Along the edge, ensure that the front piece of glass is firmly affixed.
4. I, personally have found D-Nice's slides as a good test to check for dead pixels and such and if you plan on doing a break-in for pro calibration, the extended time being powered can act as a good torture test.

Buzzing is fairly normal for these types of TVs, your best bet is if it is noticeable under normal use. Don't use the slides as an indicator because this isn't normal usage and chances are you'll be hyper critical of the unit's performance during this time...I know I am. If the buzzing is still bothersome under normal use, well I guess you'll be getting a 4K LED LCD set and not looking back.

Eric

My Stuff: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 w/  Ideal-Lume Bias Lighting, Yamaha RX-V3800, Oppo BDP-103D

post #6143 of 13010 Old 01-06-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paw View Post

I was able to calibrate THX mode on my last Panasonic set. Haven't tried it on this one because my meter has not been calibrated in a couple years. You just have to use the service menu. Unless they changed something on this model.

I can't tell you if the green is out of wack on mine because I am Red/Green colourblind. The Blue looks great though!

I'm going to have mine calibrated in late February by Michael Chen if he can fit me in to his tour.

Michael is calibrating mine in February. He calibrated my V10 a while back. Thankfully, I'm local smile.gif

Eric

My Stuff: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 w/  Ideal-Lume Bias Lighting, Yamaha RX-V3800, Oppo BDP-103D

post #6144 of 13010 Old 01-06-2014, 12:33 PM

Liked: 16

Congratulations to everyone who's received a new ZT in the last week or so. It's arguably the best set out there right now and will be very hard to get ahold of soon.  These puppies (65" ZT) are almost gone and very few resellers still have them in stock.  There are a few though.

Also, with regard to errors/defects on the sets, my advice is to not get overly obsessed about looking for them if you can help it.  Some of us can't.  You go hunting hard enough and you'll almost always find something.  Most of the issues being discussed on the forum are not the norm for the bulk of the endusers receiving these sets.  I'm not saying that these problems don't exist but the majority of the people on this forum, me included, are not the norm. We obsess about these small details more than most. I've sold quite a few of these sets this year and the only customers I've had mention any of these issues are the ones that come out to AVS and read about other people experiencing the problem.  We're a finicky bunch!

Joe

chillspace and repete66211 like this.
post #6145 of 13010 Old 01-06-2014, 12:37 PM

Liked: 12
TLDR; I bought a new 60" ZT, waiting for delivery on Wednesday.

First... I am so incredibly happy to join this thread.
I have been stalking this TV slowly for months... Laying low.. calmly quietly waiting for my moment.. Even after easier more attainable options were available.. And then I pounced. To the victor, go the spoils they say. Tonight I spoiled myself... rotten.

While I know this owners thread is a behemoth and this will most likely get lost among the other avid HD hunters.. Here is my tale.

It was about a year ago I had decided to start getting serious about buying my first TV. Yes, you read that right.. My first ever TV. I am 36 and have never purchased a TV. Ive always had high quality computer monitors to watch all my content on, or I've gone to friends houses and hung out to enjoy the mutual shows. I didn't want to carry around a huge purchase should I choose to move.

Then my love for playoff Hockey (Go Sharks!) and watching many many 1080p bluray rips.. Well maybe it wouldn't be so bad.. I do have a Wii, PS3, and Xbox 360 that I could use. OK that's it. I'll buy a TV!

Now that Ive decided to research a purchase.. Its time to get serious.. Sony right? The world begins and ends with Sony when it comes to electronics.. Well doesn't it? Plasma.. PSH! Never! Its so heavy, and hot, and burn in, and HUH that display model doesn't look that bad.. Well look at that the power consumption isn't that much more than the XBRs...

Maybe Plasma is the way to go.. So after talking to a few guys at the local Magnolia, CNET reviews, forum skimming, and asking a few friends that own both... Plasma was the way to go; and one thing was abundantly clear, Panasonic Plasma was the only choice.

Bang for buck... This was my first mistake... After all the reviews and deciding how much I was willing to spend.. Oohhh that ZT.. No! I won't spend that much... I can easily afford the S60 or ST60 models... the VT or ZT is just too much for something I'm only going to use a few hours a week.. Ok S model it is.. This was my 2nd mistake.. Its not that I have to have the best at all times.. or I don't think the VT or ZT are worth it.. I just couldn't justify the money.

A few days passed and a few weeks passed.. Super Bowl sales.. Holiday sales.. More reading of forums and trips to different electronics sections to peek at the TV's.. Then I saw that my local Costco was selling a 50" S64... What the F is an S64? and $600.. Huh not bad.. This was my third and final mistake.. IMPULSE BUY!!!! that day, I had a brand spanking new 50" S64 Panasonic Plasma . That I did not want.

I brought it home with a feeling of buyer's remorse and disappointment that I purchased something I truly didn't want.. In my head the ZT is the TV that I hunted out, this was the TV that I wanted.. and now I have this.. yay.

So there it sat in my spare bedroom entry way.. Waiting to be opened and used.. I'll do it tomorrow turned into i'll do it next week turned into I can always return it to I can return it tomorrow to I can return it next week. And so on. Finally around October I decided to finally return it.. What! The 90 days return policy expired last week?! Damnit!! Now what!

So it sat... Unused, new, in the box, a TV I didn't want. My brothers and friends urged me to take it out of the box and set it up at least, and all I could think was if I took it out of the box I couldn't resell it for what I paid.

Another month went by... and another.
Until finally I was doing some holiday shopping at BestBuy and took a stroll through the Magnolia room.. There she was.. The 60" ZT.. all pretty and big.. right in my sights. Yet, she had a strange yellow sticker in the corner.. "On Sale"

It was as if the heavens opened and the clouds parted and the gods pointed down from their thrones and demanded I purchase this television... yet I did not listen.. I hemmed and hawed.. and as the holidays came closer my attention was diverted away from the zenith of plasma's and toward the holidays and spending time with my family. Every now and then when watching TV during Xmas with family I'd close my eyes and think fondly of that precious piece of electronics that had fixated me so.. and yet the 50" doorstop sitting in the spare bedroom.

Xmas had passed and with a small BestBuy gift card in hand I logged onto BestBuy.com and saw an item in my cart.. aww yes, the sale.. oh well I thought.. damn i thought.. Knowing the sale was over on the 28th.. Checkout.. my eyes jumped.. my hands hit refresh and checkout again to verify.. IT WAS $300 CHEAPER! I had waited and saved money on accident! What a sale?! Over today?!? Over in 3 hours?! 5x Rewards points this weekend?! ... slow down brain.. lets think about this.. $1000 off MSRP, and 5x Rewards points.. dont be fooled.. be slow and cautious.. WHERE ARE THE CAR KEYS?!

The next 90 mins is a blur of driving and buying.. A quick 20 min drive to the smaller BestBuy retail store.. Found the Magnolia rep I had talked to even though he doesn't get the commission I wanted to make sure he got the warranty credit.. and we were off.. searching.. none in stock.. none in stock in a 50 mile radius.. 100 mile radius.. Yes, I would love you to ship one from the warehouse. check that box, click this button, sign here.

As I sat there in my car, smiling like a moron, waiting for the buyers remorse to kick it, i realized i had none. I am super happy to have finally purchased the TV I wanted after a year of hemming and hawing.

It gets delivered on Wednesday to the store, I've taken the day off work, and will be sitting at home counting the minutes. I look forward to many more shorter posts on here and joining the community. To the ZT! HUZZAH!
post #6146 of 13010 Old 01-06-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillspace View Post

1 . If it's that cold, you'll want to wait until the unit warms up to room temperature. I'd give it a day, myself.
2. Take a flash light and looking from the side, shine the light across the screen to see if you can notice micro-fractures on the internal glass structure. You won't be able to see it if you're looking at the screen straight on (this is very rare)
3. Along the edge, ensure that the front piece of glass is firmly affixed.
4. I, personally have found D-Nice's slides as a good test to check for dead pixels and such and if you plan on doing a break-in for pro calibration, the extended time being powered can act as a good torture test.

Buzzing is fairly normal for these types of TVs, your best bet is if it is noticeable under normal use. Don't use the slides as an indicator because this isn't normal usage and chances are you'll be hyper critical of the unit's performance during this time...I know I am. If the buzzing is still bothersome under normal use, well I guess you'll be getting a 4K LED LCD set and not looking back.

A day seems a little long no? Considering most things can get to room temperature within an hour or 2.
post #6147 of 13010 Old 01-06-2014, 12:40 PM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inseconds99 View Post

A day seems a little long no? Considering most things can get to room temperature within an hour or 2.

I'd be worried about potential condensation accumulating given the temperature variances.
post #6148 of 13010 Old 01-06-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago View Post

I'd be worried about potential condensation accumulating given the temperature variances.

Yes, a surefire way to kill your TV is with liquid... I should have noted that in my post. I'll update it.

Eric

post #6149 of 13010 Old 01-06-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago View Post

That's one of my fears, I might potentially keep the house slightly cooler then normal, maybe 55-60 degrees on arrival. Still a 40 degree swing but I don't know what else to do.
post #6150 of 13010 Old 01-06-2014, 12:57 PM

Cool story, (bro wink.gif) and welcome to the club, but I have one bone to pick:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saevio View Post

Its time to get serious.. Sony right? The world begins and ends with Sony when it comes to electronics.. Well doesn't it? Plasma.. PSH! Never! Its so heavy, and hot, and burn in, and HUH that display model doesn't look that bad.. Well look at that the power consumption isn't that much more than the XBRs...
This was probably tongue-in-cheek to a degree, but I have long disagreed with this sentiment. Perhaps in the Trinitron days were they at the top of the line, and some of their flat panels aren't too shabby, but they have not been at the very top of the best performing flat panels. Pioneer and Sharp have managed it in the latter noughties (2000s), and Panasonic in the last few years, but I can't think of a time when Sony gave the absolute best performance in a flat panel setting it heads and shoulders above the competition. I am eager for the day that the mythos of Sony fades...we still appear to be very far away from that day. ;(
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page