Forum Jump: 

post #6301 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlore View Post

Even when the tv is off, the screen isn't as black as the bezel.
Exactly. And why is everyone watching the bezel instead of the movie?
smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6302 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The main thing I am now concerned about is my 65ZT60 runs pretty warm compared to the VT50. It's really warm on the right side when facing the screen, in front of the power supply board. I really hope this doesn't cause uneven pixel aging in the long run and create green blobs or other issues later on. That being said, it's still cooler than the old plasma's used to run so only time will tell.
post #6303 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekarita View Post

Also, I'm an Amazon Prime member.  I was able to view a movie preview for free, but I don't know how to access my Prime Account to watch free movies.  Can I do that from this TV?
Yes, just open the app in the TV, which will give you a 6-character code that you will enter here: http://www.amazon.com/mytv - this will automagically sync your Amazon Prime account with the TV.  
Quote:
The preview that I did watch, I was unimpressed with the picture quality.  Is that indicative of all online HD or should the video be at least as good as, say watching Directv?
Amazon Instant Video quality is not renowned for looking all that impressive due to its considerable compression and no, not all streaming options are the same. For the best mainstream streaming quality available, try previewing a title in Vudu HDX.
post #6304 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlore View Post

I will say that in a completely black room, after calibration, I can still see an obvious difference between the bezel and the screen on a black image. My friend, who is usually more sensitive to colors than I am, swears they blend so I think it's just an individual perception. Honestly though, even with OLED I would not expect a tv to be able to go that black. Even when the tv is off, the screen isn't as black as the bezel.
But this also holds true for low APL content, and OLED has shown to measure in the 0.00004 range (whereas the ZT60 stock is only 0.001) where such content will be helped tremendously (say, recreations of deep space). That said, I don't have $30k lying around to grab that curved monstrosity from LG anytime soon. eek.gif
post #6305 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 11:14 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Yes, just open the app in the TV, which will give you a 6-character code that you will enter here: http://www.amazon.com/mytv - this will automagically sync your Amazon Prime account with the TV.  
Amazon Instant Video quality is not renowned for looking all that impressive due to its considerable compression and no, not all streaming options are the same. For the best mainstream streaming quality available, try previewing a title in Vudu HDX.
Any idea what's going on with the thin white band at the bottom of the picture?
post #6306 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

Any idea what's going on with the thin white band at the bottom of the picture?
Do you mean overscan? If overscan is turned off sometimes you'll see edges (usually white and broken) of the picture that aren't necessarily meant to be seen. This can vary by content and (especially) channel. It's a legacy of old TV broadcasting. Turn overscan to "on" and it should go away.

post #6307 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post

Brilliant!

Guess I was wrong, then. I thought the 65 was 90 WITH the stand. Still, the 141 is some 40lb heavier with its stand and its 5 inches smaller! eek.gif

141 lb for a 60 in TV?!!! Wow. Thank God for newer technology.
post #6308 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 01:17 PM

Of course!  Overscan!  That did it.  Thanks!

post #6309 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by myared View Post

141 lb for a 60 in TV?!!! Wow. Thank God for newer technology.

Indeed. And lest we forget the all time heavyweight champion of the direct view TV world (at least in normal screen sizes)... The Sony KV-40XBR800 CRT. Tipping the scales at over 300lb withOUT its own custom stand.

I have no doubt that workers compensation claims in the moving industry increased by 250 percent when that TV came on the market. I should know, I had to have it delivered to a 2nd floor, then picked UP when I sold it on eBay.
post #6310 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 01:45 PM

Liked: 10
So instead of getting a ZT60, should I have waited for Panasonic's new LCD that Panasonic just announced at CES that is supposed to match the PQ of their plasmas? It would be nice to have the same picture quality without worrying about IR or other plasma issues. Will the price of that new 65" LCD be around the price of the 65ZT60 within the next year?

I also saw a CES interview with a Panasonic rep who stated that they would be working on bringing their new smart TV interface to existing models. Of course, no specifics were given. What are the chances we will get the new interface on the ZT60?
post #6311 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windomearle View Post

So instead of getting a ZT60, should I have waited for Panasonic's new LCD that Panasonic just announced at CES that is supposed to match the PQ of their plasmas? It would be nice to have the same picture quality without worrying about IR or other plasma issues. Will the price of that new 65" LCD be around the price of the 65ZT60 within the next year?

I also saw a CES interview with a Panasonic rep who stated that they would be working on bringing their new smart TV interface to existing models. Of course, no specifics were given. What are the chances we will get the new interface on the ZT60?

Panasonic's LCDs are a joke. It's almost as though its a whole different company with few people even shared between divisions.

Of course they're gonna try to soften the blow of losing their halo product by propping up their underperforming bastard child division.

FWIW, Pioneer also sold LCDs in other parts of the world and they weren't any better.
repete66211 and besthdef like this.
post #6312 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 02:08 PM

Liked: 12
My understanding of the '14 Panasonic 4k LCDs is that they have better color range than plasma. Unfortunately, that still leaves them with worse color accuracy, contrast, black levels, motion blur, viewing angle, clouding, and bleed. Basically, they may be better with color banding. But I guess they had to grasp for something since "4K!" isn't proving to be a huge reason to upgrade.

Edit: forgot viewing angle.
post #6313 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 02:26 PM

Are you able to get the HBO Go app on this set? Sorry, I'm new to the whole app thing.
post #6314 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 02:30 PM

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by windomearle View Post

I don't know how anyone could say what you should do since it's just an announcement. I doubt it would match what you have now. As far as matching the interface for smart tv goes I guess that is more likely as it should just be a firmware update.

I wish they would work on 10 or 12 bit colour using the 1080p standard that is out now. My 2008 plasma had Deep Colour capability but I've never seen any content to match. It's like in audio where 7.1 and 9.1 receivers are all over the place but the only sources that seem to offer it are remastered movies from the 90's like Jurrasic Park and the original Star Trek series.

Who needs a 20 inch 4K tablet?

Mike
post #6315 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paw View Post

I don't know anyone could say what you should do since it's just an announcement. I doubt it would match what you have now. As far as matching the interface for smart tv goes I guess that is more likely as it should just be a firmware update.

I wish they would work on 10 or 12 bit colour using the 1080p standard that is out now. My 2008 plasma had Deep Colour capability but I've never seen any content to match. It's like in audio where 7.1 and 9.1 receivers are all over the place but the only sources that seem to offer it are remastered movies from the 90's like Jurrasic Park and the original Star Trek series.

Mike
Id actually like to see a 8k, 3d capable, curved glass cell phone. More is always better, duh.
post #6316 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paw View Post

I don't know anyone could say what you should do since it's just an announcement. I doubt it would match what you have now. As far as matching the interface for smart tv goes I guess that is more likely as it should just be a firmware update.

Mike

One doesn't buy the TV for the smart tv interface. Apps are a dime a dozen across every brand and style of tv.
repete66211 likes this.
post #6317 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 03:55 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69 View Post

One doesn't buy the TV for the smart tv interface. Apps are a dime a dozen across every brand and style of tv.

Ya I never understood why one would care about Internet on the tv other than maybe streaming movies and such. I have plenty other options in my house for web content. I just want to watch tv on my tv.
repete66211 likes this.
post #6318 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Has anyone noticed black levels being slightly higher under Professional mode 2?

I'm comparing it with Thx cinema and I think I can see a difference. Brightness is at 0 for both. Gamma 2.2.

Although I can't be sure since I don't have scientific tools to measure the mll it just looks less inky under professional mode. FYI, professional mode 2 has settings from Sound & Vision and I turned the brightness down to 0. I don't know why they had it set a +4.....that's just wily
post #6319 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 04:02 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

Of course!  Overscan!  That did it.  Thanks!

Make sure you turn it off with Blu-Rays as it eats up fine detail.

Bob
post #6320 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 05:00 PM

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terebi View Post

Exactly. And why is everyone watching the bezel instead of the movie?
smile.gif

Right. If you're watching the bezel, you need a more interesting movie.
post #6321 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Found a clever way to use less space with my boxes
post #6322 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have watched my 65zt with sound and visions calibration for 46 hours now, I have to say I love it!!! I have watched a few 3d movies and although the image does not come out in the room as far as my DLP did the depth and colors are awesome. My DTV looks great and normal BD's look great. Glad I have to wake up in the morning and go to work or I would sit in front of this thing all day smile.gif

post #6323 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxion View Post

Found a clever way to use less space with my boxes

TVs are one of the FEW things I don't keep factory cartons around for, at least not the ones I get from BB. However, I noticed on the last TV that if you just slice the tape on the top of the box, after you lift it off the TV it will just sandwich into a big flat thing. I'm gonna hang on to the one for the ZT and put it against the wall in the closet.
post #6324 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post

TVs are one of the FEW things I don't keep factory cartons around for, at least not the ones I get from BB. However, I noticed on the last TV that if you just slice the tape on the top of the box, after you lift it off the TV it will just sandwich into a big flat thing. I'm gonna hang on to the one for the ZT and put it against the wall in the closet.
Thanks for the tip, i will probably do that but im curious as what to do with the foam. I could keep the flattened boxes under the bed.
post #6325 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 06:53 PM

Liked: 46
I'm at 24 hours on the slides, and the areas of the screen away from the center are taking on a slight pinkish tone when viewed on a white or gray slide. Is this what others have seen? I assume this evens out over time.
post #6326 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Can someone tell me who's settings are the brightest? I have it set on custom for now because it has the most light output other than vivid of course. Also, Does anyone know how I can post a recording of my obnoxious buzz and fan noise on this thread? I sit 22 feet away from my set and the fan is cranking and the buzz is aweful. I know all about the fix for the fan, but not sure they can fix the buzz. This set doesn't do it for me during the day. At night with the lights out, it looks great! Maybe some brighter settings will change my mind as far as daylight performance. Thanks guys.
post #6327 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Question for all my ZT owners out there, what is the highest quality HDMI switch out there for extra ports. I am currently running all my inputs directly to the tv and optical out to my energy powerbar elite soundbar. Because of this I am running out of room to connect all of my equipment, I want to buy the highest quality HDMI switch that I can buy to no sacrifice PQ. I currently own a rocketfish 1080p 3d switch and I feel like I lose PQ on my Apple Tv when I am streaming.

This seems to be the best HDMI switch

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GPGJZ4A/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00GPGJZ4A&linkCode=as2&tag=edit-tech-round-up-20 I can find, it supports up to 4k video. What are your thoughts, do you think my rocketfish HDMI switch is ok?

post #6328 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inseconds99 View Post

Question for all my ZT owners out there, what is the highest quality HDMI switch out there for extra ports. I am currently running all my inputs directly to the tv and optical out to my energy powerbar elite soundbar. Because of this I am running out of room to connect all of my equipment, I want to buy the highest quality HDMI switch that I can buy to no sacrifice PQ. I currently own a rocketfish 1080p 3d switch and I feel like I lose PQ on my Apple Tv when I am streaming.

This seems to be the best HDMI switch
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GPGJZ4A/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00GPGJZ4A&linkCode=as2&tag=edit-tech-round-up-20 I can find, it supports up to 4k video. What are your thoughts, do you think my rocketfish HDMI switch is ok?

Well, why don't you hook up your Apple TV with and without the splitter to be 100% sure?

You shouldn't be losing any quality thru your existing splitter, but perhaps it is crap.

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60, Samsung 60F5300
post #6329 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidawgz View Post

Well, why don't you hook up your Apple TV with and without the splitter to be 100% sure?

You shouldn't be losing any quality thru your existing splitter, but perhaps it is crap.

I have and to me there seems to be a little bit of loss of PQ. I want to hook up my PS4 and My Xbox One direct to the TV using no switch. I don't want to hook my cable TV through my Xbox one because that would mean every time I'm watching TV my Xbox would need to be on. I want my cable provider and my Apple TV to run through the HDMI switch.

post #6330 of 12671 Old 01-08-2014, 08:20 PM

If the current switch is malfunctioning or not properly delivering the signal, you would be noticing HDMI dropouts in the form of audible and/or visible glitches on-screen. Is your PQ being degraded in some other way aside from this? OK, "a little bit of loss." That just seems unlikely and more related to psychology, but I'm not in your room (wouldn't that be creepy?) seeing what you are. I just think it might be a waste if you upgrade a perfectly working switch.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page