post #7201 of 12380 Old 01-20-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrygeary View Post

Thanks. Did you have any lip sync problems? In reading the reviews on Amazon, I see people with the VT60 complaining about audio sync problems, where the audio and video get farther and farther out of sync, when they were using the digital audio out. It seems there is no way to get audio out of the TV itself without some kind of issues (unless using the built-in speaker).

My time using it with the 2 channel was very brief. But I don't remember any lip sync issues with my Pioneer VSX-49TX (older Elite receiver with toslink but no HDMI) I put in the place of the B&O stuff. The 141FD is on there now so I can't test it right at this moment, but lip sync that far afield would have surely gotten my attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7202 of 12380 Old 01-20-2014, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrygeary View Post

Thanks. Did you have any lip sync problems? In reading the reviews on Amazon, I see people with the VT60 complaining about audio sync problems, where the audio and video get farther and farther out of sync, when they were using the digital audio out. It seems there is no way to get audio out of the TV itself without some kind of issues (unless using the built-in speaker).

I just hooked up a Sony 660 sound bar, via HDMI and it worked great.  No lag and everything worked with no switching of this or that.  I was very impressed.

post #7203 of 12380 Old 01-20-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

The only thing I didn't test was broadcast TV. And the only reason I bring that up is because the Samsungs I had before that allowed switching of PCM and DD for all sources. But the LG I had afterward was NON switchable, so if broadcast was delivering DD, that is what was passed (and therefore not heard) on the 2 channel optical to RCA adapter. But with my uverse box it never had any issues. On the 141 of course I have to feed toslink straight from the Uverse box to the receiver, because the Pioneer has no audio output whatsoever, of any kind.
post #7204 of 12380 Old 01-20-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekarita View Post

I just got an Omni Mount full motion, rated for 300lbs. max. It's very stable and moves fairly nicely. It's the 2 articulated arms style. I have a 60"ZT.
Omni and Peerless make nice articulating arms.
post #7205 of 12380 Old 01-20-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Picked up a 65" ZT60 today since they are going extinct biggrin.gif Anyway, compared to my w900a, well, there is no comparison. Blacks are inky, colors pop, and the overall image has a 3d look to it. The triluminous tech in the Sony looks extremely dull compared to the ZT60. I am also a serious gamer and input lag is my worst enemy. Anything about 30ms is horrible to me. I can happily say this will be my new gaming tv. It measures in at 45ms exactly using my LB input lag tester with game mode enabled and THX Bright Room picture mode, however I can tell you that it is no where near that in reality. My w900a measures in at 19ms and the ZT60 is just as fast. Extremely happy with this tv! cool.gif
post #7206 of 12380 Old 01-20-2014, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Picked up a 65" ZT60 today since they are going extinct biggrin.gif Anyway, compared to my w900a, well, there is no comparison. Blacks are inky, colors pop, and the overall image has a 3d look to it. The triluminous tech in the Sony looks extremely dull compared to the ZT60. I am also a serious gamer and input lag is my worst enemy. Anything about 30ms is horrible to me. I can happily say this will be my new gaming tv. It measures in at 45ms exactly using my LB input lag tester with game mode enabled and THX Bright Room picture mode, however I can tell you that it is no where near that in reality. My w900a measures in at 19ms and the ZT60 is just as fast. Extremely happy with this tv! cool.gif

I'm a gamer as well and I would never recommend this TV for gaming, the IR issues are horrible!
post #7207 of 12380 Old 01-20-2014, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticHaze View Post

I'm a gamer as well and I would never recommend this TV for gaming, the IR issues are horrible!

Certainly not in any of the bright modes... eek.gif
post #7208 of 12380 Old 01-20-2014, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have two other plasmas as well (U50's) and have only recently had a problem with IR on one of them. I have gamed for a few hours so far with no IR problems. I am using THX Bright Room. I might have to take it back though. I bought the display since there were no more in stock and after getting it home, I found out the optical out port is broken. It appears as though someone shoved something into it and the door on it is missing. Also I have noticed it buzzes much louder then my U50's, and has this drone to it that sounds like the hum of a fridge.
post #7209 of 12380 Old 01-20-2014, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have two other plasmas as well (U50's) and have only recently had a problem with IR on one of them. I have gamed for a few hours so far with no IR problems. I am using THX Bright Room. I might have to take it back though. I bought the display since there were no more in stock and after getting it home, I found out the optical out port is broken. It appears as though someone shoved something into it and the door on it is missing. Also I have noticed it buzzes much louder then my U50's, and has this drone to it that sounds like the hum of a fridge.

Wow, until I scrolled up and re-read that you got a 65 I thought you were talking about MY old 60ZT60 for a moment that I had bought new and returned (not the one I have now). When i first got it I also had trouble putting my toslink cable into that stupid port and somehow broke the little door on it also. Never did get the new one set up, but I made a mental note to turn the tv around and take extra care sliding that cable in the next time. That said, a customer returned "open box" TV with loads less hours is far preferable to a STORE used open box display with thousands. So keep that in consideration. Your buzz may in actuality be the "fan noise" issue (resonance inside the case), since I don't think you posted the manufacture date of your set.

Btw, the older series Panasonics don't seem to have as much of the IR issue. May have something to do with the new phosphor formulation for the red pixel, no idea.
post #7210 of 12380 Old 01-20-2014, 11:45 PM

Liked: 38
All the calibrators recommend Black Level set to light setting. CNEt, D-Nice etc use light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidawgz View Post

^ I understand.

I have a question more on topic. My TV is not calibrated yet. Black Level: Dark is clearly the setting with the deepest black levels, but loss of detail with the default modes. When getting a pro cal, can the TV be configured to show a detailed picture with black levels this dark?

In summary, can you get the ridiculously dark black level w/ bright colors. I see no default mode that mixes the two.
post #7211 of 12380 Old 01-20-2014, 11:47 PM

Liked: 38
I have put about 8 hours continous play on my ZT with no IR at all. Seems awesome to me.
Quote:

post #7212 of 12380 Old 01-20-2014, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post

Wow, until I scrolled up and re-read that you got a 65 I thought you were talking about MY old 60ZT60 for a moment that I had bought new and returned (not the one I have now). When i first got it I also had trouble putting my toslink cable into that stupid port and somehow broke the little door on it also. Never did get the new one set up, but I made a mental note to turn the tv around and take extra care sliding that cable in the next time. That said, a customer returned "open box" TV with loads less hours is far preferable to a STORE used open box display with thousands. So keep that in consideration. Your buzz may in actuality be the "fan noise" issue (resonance inside the case), since I don't think you posted the manufacture date of your set.

Btw, the older series Panasonics don't seem to have as much of the IR issue. May have something to do with the new phosphor formulation for the red pixel, no idea.

Hmm I have never had an issue with an optical port door breaking. Not only is the door broken on this one, but it is also crushed inside as if someone tried to force an object into it. It was manufactured may 2013, and has been on display since July. I am not sure if I can deal with the broken port and the noise it makes. It is very audible even with the volume up. Too bad because the picture quality is simply unmatched by any other display I have seen, ever. frown.gif
post #7213 of 12380 Old 01-21-2014, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm I have never had an issue with an optical port door breaking. Not only is the door broken on this one, but it is also crushed inside as if someone tried to force an object into it. It was manufactured may 2013, and has been on display since July. I am not sure if I can deal with the broken port and the noise it makes. It is very audible even with the volume up. Too bad because the picture quality is simply unmatched by any other display I have seen, ever. frown.gif

Yes the PQ is simply amazing. The plastic around the optical port seems a little brittle which I noticed when I ran into the issue with mine also, as I too have never had an issue with an optical port. I just find it odd that that makes 2 with the one I had. Is it COMPLETELY irreparable to the point the cable won't sustain inside? Surely there is some way to get it to work so long as the fiber optic part isn't broken inside. Normally I'd be like "take that thing back", but there's no guarantee you'll easily find another in your area. So it's best to exhaust all options if your TV is a nice one with no IR or other major issues. Especially considering the deal you probably got on an open box.

A May 2013 set has definitely not had the fan fix done. Panasonic will come out and do this for you for free, just be aware if you've been keeping up with these threads that right now some of us are recommending to wait a little bit before you have a Panny tech come out as there are some TVs getting small fractures in the top layer of glass, presumably because the back panels are not being re-attached properly and putting undue stress on the front panel. So there may be updated instructional material that goes to the techs to help prevent any problems. I would be willing to bet that once the fan fix is done, your noise will subside (and if it doesn't the tech will be there to handle it anyway).

Up to you, this one may be beyond the threshold of tolerance for problems, but finding another may not be easy.

How many hours are on this?
post #7214 of 12380 Old 01-21-2014, 12:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inseconds99 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post

Depending on the quality, probably less expensive. But the best Blu-ray player will cost more.
Without harping on sound wouldn't a sony s790 produce reference blu-ray PQ for half of the cost of an oppo 103?
Yes, and so would a Sony BDP-S1100 and everything in between. I'm a happy OPPO owner, but not because it does a better job with Blu-ray video. There's not much for a player to do but transport the digital video data on down the HDMI signal path. wink.gif
post #7215 of 12380 Old 01-21-2014, 12:26 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

See if you can get it repaired under warranty. Worth a try.
post #7216 of 12380 Old 01-21-2014, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by besthdef View Post

See if you can get it repaired under warranty. Worth a try.

Good point. As long as you're gonna have to have the fan fix done, may as well try and get the port replaced as well.
post #7217 of 12380 Old 01-21-2014, 04:52 AM

Liked: 11
Got my new 60" ZT60 up and running yesterday after delivery from Amazon. Beautiful looking television! May 2013 build which was a little surprising. Fan noise seemed non-existent, although if everything is completely off and silent I can hear it whirring a bit. I watched a little tv and it looked good, although some tweaking will be required. Ran about 10 hours of DNice slides.
Question:
I run digital optical audio to my Rotel receiver (non-HDMI). Do I just set the volume on the television to 0 or should I set it up differently?
Thanks,
Jeff
post #7218 of 12380 Old 01-21-2014, 05:23 AM

Liked: 10
Just received my ZT60. It's about 34 degree's outside right now so I'm going to wait a bit till I turn it on. Pretty excited!
post #7219 of 12380 Old 01-21-2014, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

The doors on the optical port break frequently. I recently returned a Pioneer soundbar with a broken door. Broke only the second time I inserted the optical cable. Had it happen on a Tivo as well. Poor design.
post #7220 of 12380 Old 01-21-2014, 06:40 AM

Liked: 10

Hi all,

I am fully aware I may come off crazy, but maybe not.  So I just got a ZT60.  I think that, obviously, blu-rays look like insanity.  It's like a mini IMAX.  However, does anyone else think that cable tv (Comcast Xfinity X1), by and large looks... bad?!?!  I mean stuff like ESPN, etc.  The channels are obviously in HD.  Even PS3 games look iffy.

Is it because the screen is just so big and I may be fairly close to it, 8 feet or so?  I've been using THX Cinema mode, and the first night I watched Pacific Rim and as you can imagine, it looks downright incredible.  I'm just kind of blah about the picture on cable channels.

It's just not crisp at all.  It looks smooth.  And the X1 box is set to either 1080i or 1080p60, both look the same mostly, although I have the option to enable 3:2 pulldown on 1080i and 1080p pure direct when it's set to 1080p60.  Same diff ultimately.  My HDMI cables are AmazonBasics, but I know HDMI cables don't mean much.

Is this common?

Thanks guys, any help is appreciated.  Maybe I'm nuts.

post #7221 of 12380 Old 01-21-2014, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Yes, and so would a Sony BDP-S1100 and everything in between. I'm a happy OPPO owner, but not because it does a better job with Blu-ray video. There's not much for a player to do but transport the digital video data on down the HDMI signal path. wink.gif

The Oppo 103D also has the Darbee processing which needs to be seen to be believed - they do make just about the best players in the world

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #7222 of 12380 Old 01-21-2014, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post

The Oppo 103D also has the Darbee processing which needs to be seen to be believed - they do make just about the best players in the world

I understand that but I only care about blu-ray PQ. I don't want to spend that much money on an oppo when I'm playing only blu-ray movies with a soundbar. No need for it's amazing DVD upscaler it's ability to play all different audio and video formats. I need a blu-ray player that will display reference quality blu-ray PQ for the cheapest price.

P.s. I own a ps3/ps4/xbox1, all of which play blu-ray. In my earlier post I was wondering which one would look the best out if those 3 or which cheap blu-ray player will outperform those gaming consoles in PQ.
post #7223 of 12380 Old 01-21-2014, 07:32 AM

Just wondering...can I get Netflix Super HD on the ZT60?  If so, how do I activate it?  Not all devices support it, so I'm wondering...

post #7224 of 12380 Old 01-21-2014, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just wondering...can I get Netflix Super HD on the ZT60?  If so, how do I activate it?  Not all devices support it, so I'm wondering...

Yes there is a button on the remote control - sign-in/up the same as any other device.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #7225 of 12380 Old 01-21-2014, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inseconds99 View Post

I understand that but I only care about blu-ray PQ. I don't want to spend that much money on an oppo when I'm playing only blu-ray movies with a soundbar. No need for it's amazing DVD upscaler it's ability to play all different audio and video formats. I need a blu-ray player that will display reference quality blu-ray PQ for the cheapest price.

P.s. I own a ps3/ps4/xbox1, all of which play blu-ray. In my earlier post I was wondering which one would look the best out if those 3 or which cheap blu-ray player will outperform those gaming consoles in PQ.

And all blu-ray players give excellent picture quality BUT you can connect your cable box to the HDMI input on the OPPO 103D and benefit from the Darbee processing when watching cable - you will see a difference!!!!!!!

post #7226 of 12380 Old 01-21-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

True, but there are still players out there that muck up things somehow in the signal path (chroma issues, etc.). That is what I like about Oppo - they go to the extra length to ensure everything is up to spec and optimal.

post #7227 of 12380 Old 01-21-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post

Yes there is a button on the remote control - sign-in/up the same as any other device.
I'm signed up for Netflix, but want to know if this tv supports netflix Super HD. Some devices support it and some don't, from what I've read.
post #7228 of 12380 Old 01-21-2014, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm signed up for Netflix, but want to know if this tv supports netflix Super HD. Some devices support it and some don't, from what I've read.

Never read that BUT this is the top of the line - Went and tried it on 65ZT60 - BAM!!!!!!!!!! SUPER HD - always stream Netflix through OPPO to receiver and then to ZT

post #7229 of 12380 Old 01-21-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

Good question. I've not seen it explicitly mentioned. The Netflix Super HD page does mention Smart TVs, but notes the following:
Quote:
*Note: Although some Super HD eligible devices do not currently display the Super HD logo, we continue to provide Super HD video quality for these devices.

post #7230 of 12380 Old 01-21-2014, 08:10 AM

Liked: 14
Get an antenna. My OTA picture looks amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by intolerant84 View Post

Hi all,

I am fully aware I may come off crazy, but maybe not.  So I just got a ZT60.  I think that, obviously, blu-rays look like insanity.  It's like a mini IMAX.  However, does anyone else think that cable tv (Comcast Xfinity X1), by and large looks... bad?!?!  I mean stuff like ESPN, etc.  The channels are obviously in HD.  Even PS3 games look iffy.

Is it because the screen is just so big and I may be fairly close to it, 8 feet or so?  I've been using THX Cinema mode, and the first night I watched Pacific Rim and as you can imagine, it looks downright incredible.  I'm just kind of blah about the picture on cable channels.

It's just not crisp at all.  It looks smooth.  And the X1 box is set to either 1080i or 1080p60, both look the same mostly, although I have the option to enable 3:2 pulldown on 1080i and 1080p pure direct when it's set to 1080p60.  Same diff ultimately.  My HDMI cables are AmazonBasics, but I know HDMI cables don't mean much.

Is this common?

Thanks guys, any help is appreciated.  Maybe I'm nuts.
dmwctw likes this.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page