Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 13103 Old 06-11-2013, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pdawg17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cali
Posts: 1,787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Are there only 60" and 65" versions of the ZT60? I have an entertainment center with limited space but lots of daylight so I would love a ZT but may have to go with a P55VT60...
pdawg17 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 13103 Old 06-11-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Glashub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA, CA - 818
Posts: 1,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Well said and I am glad you exchanged your set smile.gif

Thank you!
Glashub is offline  
post #723 of 13103 Old 06-11-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Glashub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA, CA - 818
Posts: 1,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanii19 View Post

Did you end up buying the ZT? You had two vt60s right?

Yep, I bought a ZT. I had a VT50 but never owned a VT60. I had 2 Kuros.
Glashub is offline  
post #724 of 13103 Old 06-11-2013, 06:28 PM
Member
 
Newenglander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
How is the brightness of the ZT compared to the Kuro? Still on the fence about whether to replace my Kuro.
Newenglander is offline  
post #725 of 13103 Old 06-11-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Glashub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA, CA - 818
Posts: 1,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander View Post

How is the brightness of the ZT compared to the Kuro? Still on the fence about whether to replace my Kuro.

Wow! I'm not sure how to answer that. I sold the 111fd 7 months ago. It was a 50". I can say that in THX Cinema mode that I have ever thought this isn't as bright as the Kuro. It seems to be about as bright. But I have thought; "Damn, these blacks look as good as the 9g. They look really black."

The Kuro before that was an 8g - 5080.
Glashub is offline  
post #726 of 13103 Old 06-11-2013, 07:20 PM
Member
 
Phanes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post

Are there only 60" and 65" versions of the ZT60? I have an entertainment center with limited space but lots of daylight so I would love a ZT but may have to go with a P55VT60...

Yes, ZT is restricted to 60" and 65". Any lower, you'll have to go with VT or ST.
Phanes is offline  
post #727 of 13103 Old 06-11-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
repete66211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kansas City area
Posts: 1,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander View Post

How is the brightness of the ZT compared to the Kuro? Still on the fence about whether to replace my Kuro.
I don't think I'd replace a Kuro unless it was a matter of size (i.e. upgrading from 50" to 65"). Despite what my g/f says, size does matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanes View Post

Yes, ZT is restricted to 60" and 65". Any lower, you'll have to go with VT or ST.
Or the 51" Samsung F8500. I know, wrong thread.

repete66211 is online now  
post #728 of 13103 Old 06-11-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mixdoctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 1,956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander View Post

How is the brightness of the ZT compared to the Kuro? Still on the fence about whether to replace my Kuro.

The ZT60 can get as bright as the Kuro, but I suspect that it cannot be well calibrated at as bright a level as you can a Kuro Elite. I am sure as more are calibrated, we will see, especially if they are calibrated in a non-isf mode such as Cinema.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05 Receivers
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
NHT VT-2.4 Surround System
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
Mixdoctor is offline  
post #729 of 13103 Old 06-12-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,411
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #730 of 13103 Old 06-12-2013, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
dasanii19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 854
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Who's getting the ZT60 calibrated first? Post your dates! smile.gif I'm at around the 30th-2nd I believe, still waiting on confirmation from DNice.

MY NAME IS SUE!!! HOW DO YOU DO!!!

"I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it."
dasanii19 is offline  
post #731 of 13103 Old 06-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Member
 
praktik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Will be a while for me - gonna let this sucker break in until the fall, then do it then...
praktik is offline  
post #732 of 13103 Old 06-12-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
repete66211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kansas City area
Posts: 1,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 223
October for me.

repete66211 is online now  
post #733 of 13103 Old 06-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Sammie2980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I've been quiet on the topic but I grabbed one at a Best Buy (literally living up to their name) in a neighboring state and traveled nearly 750 miles round trip to pick it up last Thursday (been running slides since) Engineering choices do make me wonder about the fan situation, as I can hear them very faintly across the room. It shouldn't be noticeable 95% of the time while watching content. No dead pixels thankfully, though, and I can't wait to see some real content on it.

Grats man welcome to the club

LivingRoom: XBR-65X900B / Oppo BDP103D / Yamaha RX-A2040 / REL T7 / HDP2500 / Def Tech Mythos Ones x 4, Eight, 2x Gem XL / PS4 / Xbox One / Wii U
Bedroom: 65ZT60 / Oppo BDP93 / Apple TV / PS3
Office: KRP-500M / Xbox 360
Sammie2980 is offline  
post #734 of 13103 Old 06-12-2013, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
Bigmoviefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanii19 View Post

Who's getting the ZT60 calibrated first? Post your dates! smile.gif I'm at around the 30th-2nd I believe, still waiting on confirmation from DNice.
I had it calibrated today. Almost 400 hrs on it. I used this person three times before to calibrate HDTVs. It always turned out great. But he said this was the most difficult on he had ever done. Mainly cause I asked him to get it as bright as he could
Without clipping white or washing out the black levels. Although you can make the ZT60 bright, he could not make it bright and be well calibrated. (Just as they found out at the shoot out). He had to recalibrate several times! So they final results look great with fine detail and reference blacks, it can not be made brighter than what any of you saw at the shootout. I am sure this does not surprise any of you. This TV shows everything good & bad about broadcast TV. (Many commercials have over saturated pictures to jump out at the consumer, this can look less than desirable on a calibrated ZT60.) You see Anchors on news casts who use too much make up. But many shows just jump out and look tremendous. This TV is like a High End Turntable or a reference CD payer
That shows off high quality recordings but also how bad a poorly recorded song can sound.
I am enjoying watching it right now. Throwing in different Blu-rays and switching to different channels!
Bigmoviefan is offline  
post #735 of 13103 Old 06-12-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mixdoctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 1,956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post

I had it calibrated today. Almost 400 hrs on it. I used this person three times before to calibrate HDTVs. It always turned out great. But he said this was the most difficult on he had ever done. Mainly cause I asked him to get it as bright as he could
Without clipping white or washing out the black levels. Although you can make the ZT60 bright, he could not make it bright and be well calibrated. (Just as they found out at the shoot out). He had to recalibrate several times! So they final results look great with fine detail and reference blacks, it can not be made brighter than what any of you saw at the shootout. I am sure this does not surprise any of you. This TV shows everything good & bad about broadcast TV. (Many commercials have over saturated pictures to jump out at the consumer, this can look less than desirable on a calibrated ZT60.) You see Anchors on news casts who use too much make up. But many shows just jump out and look tremendous. This TV is like a High End Turntable or a reference CD payer
That shows off high quality recordings but also how bad a poorly recorded song can sound.
I am enjoying watching it right now. Throwing in different Blu-rays and switching to different channels!



Kind of what I thought.......It can get pretty bright, but not bright and well calibrated. Perhaps some other calibrators will find tricks as more of these are calibrated?

What was your final fl?

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05 Receivers
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
NHT VT-2.4 Surround System
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
Mixdoctor is offline  
post #736 of 13103 Old 06-12-2013, 02:43 PM
Senior Member
 
sensui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Heh I swear it's the same batch of guys I've seen in the threads throughout so many years with these tvs (top end plasmas, Elite LCD, kuro elites etc)....nice to see so many people stick around . Mine's getting delivered tomorrow.....crossing fingers for a smooth delivery and a good panel. As sweet as the VT50 is my 151FD is still my go to screen....thinking the ZT60 will change this according to what I saw in the daytime @ best buy.
sensui is offline  
post #737 of 13103 Old 06-12-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mixdoctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 1,956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post

Heh I swear it's the same batch of guys I've seen in the threads throughout so many years with these tvs (top end plasmas, Elite LCD, kuro elites etc)....nice to see so many people stick around . Mine's getting delivered tomorrow.....crossing fingers for a smooth delivery and a good panel. As sweet as the VT50 is my 151FD is still my go to screen....thinking the ZT60 will change this according to what I saw in the daytime @ best buy.


A fellow 151FD owner........Welcome to the party. I think the ZT is shaping up to be a better all around set......See what you think.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05 Receivers
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
NHT VT-2.4 Surround System
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
Mixdoctor is offline  
post #738 of 13103 Old 06-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
Bigmoviefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

Kind of what I thought.......It can get pretty bright, but not bright and well calibrated. Perhaps some other calibrators will find tricks as more of these are calibrated?

What was your final fl?
27fl
Bigmoviefan is offline  
post #739 of 13103 Old 06-12-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Glashub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA, CA - 818
Posts: 1,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post

27fl

eek.gif
Glashub is offline  
post #740 of 13103 Old 06-12-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
slimoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: South Florida
Posts: 4,685
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post

27fl

Out of the box THX cinema is around 34 ! 27 sounds way too low.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
slimoli is offline  
post #741 of 13103 Old 06-12-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mixdoctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 1,956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post

27fl

Whoa...I'll see Glashub a eek.gif and raise one more on that number eek.gif. If that would be the best calibrated number I could get....... I would just have to be uncalibrated!

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05 Receivers
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
NHT VT-2.4 Surround System
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
Mixdoctor is offline  
post #742 of 13103 Old 06-12-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Glashub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA, CA - 818
Posts: 1,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 118
It's a trick Pioneer used with the 8G -- dim the screen to get better blacks. It wasn't until the 9G that they got the brightness and blacks right. I'd suspected Panny was doing an 8G trick -- but went into denial I think.
Glashub is offline  
post #743 of 13103 Old 06-12-2013, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
Bigmoviefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

Out of the box THX cinema is around 34 ! 27 sounds way too low.
This looks brighter than THX Cinema mode on my TV so could be my TV is a tad dimmer Than other ZT60's. I have no explanation for it. It does look better than THX Cinema too.
Bigmoviefan is offline  
post #744 of 13103 Old 06-12-2013, 03:47 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
So Panasonic is still 6 years behind Pioneer technologically (in some respects)? biggrin.gif
vinnie97 is offline  
post #745 of 13103 Old 06-12-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mixdoctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 1,956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

It's a trick Pioneer used with the 8G -- dim the screen to get better blacks. It wasn't until the 9G that they got the brightness and blacks right. I'd suspected Panny was doing an 8G trick -- but went into denial I think.

The funny thing is that the brightness is in the panel, along with deep blacks. I suspect it's more about not blowing out the white luminance levels so that they are clipping than anything. If there was a was a way to calibrate the high panel level down rather than the mid panel brightness up, perhaps that would work. Just asking for maybe 40fl to 45fl calibrated. It's there now to get that calibrated. I thought I read somewhere that DNice calibrated a VT60 at 40fl.....???

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05 Receivers
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
NHT VT-2.4 Surround System
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
Mixdoctor is offline  
post #746 of 13103 Old 06-12-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
slimoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: South Florida
Posts: 4,685
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post

This looks brighter than THX Cinema mode on my TV so could be my TV is a tad dimmer Than other ZT60's. I have no explanation for it. It does look better than THX Cinema too.

Very interesting. Actually THX Cinema was measured at 33FL by CNET and after calibration CINEMA yielded 38FL. What really matters, though, is the fact your set looks brighter and you are happy. I am using THX Cinema and don't need more brightness even during the day in a room with drapes.

Here is the CNET calibration and comments:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-593204/panasonic-tc-p60zt60-picture-settings/

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
slimoli is offline  
post #747 of 13103 Old 06-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
Bigmoviefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

The funny thing is that the brightness is in the panel, along with deep blacks. I suspect it's more about not blowing out the white luminance levels so that they are clipping than anything. If there was a was a way to calibrate the high panel level down rather than the mid panel brightness up, perhaps that would work. Just asking for maybe 40fl to 45fl calibrated. It's there now to get that calibrated. I thought I read somewhere that DNice calibrated a VT60 at 40fl.....???
My calibrator tried to calibrate high panel brightness down and it did not work. I have a 65" V10 in the bedroom(used to be my main TV) and it is Brighter. But just does not have the deep black levels and overall detail that this ZT60 has.
Bigmoviefan is offline  
post #748 of 13103 Old 06-12-2013, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
Bigmoviefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

Very interesting. Actually THX Cinema was measured at 33FL by CNET and after calibration CINEMA yielded 38FL. What really matters, though, is the fact your set looks brighter and you are happy. I am using THX Cinema and don't need more brightness even during the day in a room with drapes.

Here is the CNET calibration and comments:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-593204/panasonic-tc-p60zt60-picture-settings/
I would like it brighter. And all I can think to say is this particular set is not as bright as most ZT60's. Unless the Calibrators equipment was defective.
Bigmoviefan is offline  
post #749 of 13103 Old 06-12-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 4,106
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

Kind of what I thought.......It can get pretty bright, but not bright and well calibrated. Perhaps some other calibrators will find tricks as more of these are calibrated?

What was your final fl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post

I would like it brighter. And all I can think to say is this particular set is not as bright as most ZT60's. Unless the Calibrators equipment was defective.



It can be done but it takes a bit extra. Here's how I do it: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1408338/official-panasonic-vt50-owners-thread/12420#post_23404076

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

 

buzzard767 is online now  
post #750 of 13103 Old 06-12-2013, 04:41 PM
TWD
AVS Special Member
 
TWD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 1,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

Very interesting. Actually THX Cinema was measured at 33FL by CNET and after calibration CINEMA yielded 38FL. What really matters, though, is the fact your set looks brighter and you are happy. I am using THX Cinema and don't need more brightness even during the day in a room with drapes.

Here is the CNET calibration and comments:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-593204/panasonic-tc-p60zt60-picture-settings/
I would like it brighter. And all I can think to say is this particular set is not as bright as most ZT60's. Unless the Calibrators equipment was defective.

If you didn't know the number, would the brightness bother you?

TWD
TWD is online now  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off